It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange star in the sky

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by UKWO1Phot
Here's a pic I took (25/01/09). From UK looking SW

Now look at the stars around it and match them on STELLARIUM. (Ignore the blue one above it, as thats just reflection of the star on the lens)

It's VENUS !!

Jeez!!! In my country we have a pretty darn good view of the stars, and never have I ever seen Venus that bright!
Oh, Venus is bright, but you're view of her is astounding!

[edit on 14/2/2009 by Recouper]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Hello ATS, I too have seen this light in the sky over the last few weeks. Living in a rural area of Australia, I have quite a clear view of the night sky, and often gaze up while I am outside having a smoke. Im not going to pretend I am an expert when it comes to matters of astronomy and the like. However, I do know what could be considered unusual to my untrained eye.

This is what I recorded after first observing this light at the end of last month;

29 Jan 09 9.30pm (approx), a brilliant white light (extremely bright) which appeared to be stationary in the sky in a westerley direction.
The light could best be described as being 1000% brighter than anything else in the sky at the time, and 15-20 times bigger than your average star.
the light itself was not a complete ball of light, but the best way I can describe it would be as a 5 spoke car wheel of illuminated light shining so brightly it gives itself the impression of being a solid mass of light.
Around this centre mass of light was a pale blueish purple halo which ringed the centre mass and seemed to be pulsating slightly. The purple halo seemed to be emitting segmented beams of light (think lightning but right angles) these beams seemed to change from the blueish purple colour as they emerged from the halo to a pale red at the end.

This was visible for about an hour at its brightest (9.30-10.30pm) after which it seemed to diminish slowly (it truly looked like it died) until it was completely burnt out by 11.30pm.

I usually dont keep records of such things, but I did think this was worthy of documentation. I did fire off a few e-mails too UFO researchers, Local Newspaper, Observatories, etc. The replys were similar to those on this board. Alot of could be this but might be that stuff. No definite answer on what it is.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
geez, now that you mention it, I saw it last night and thought WOW!. .. . just a passing thought. Didn't think much till I saw this thread. I am in S. Kalifornia.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
It's probably Comet Lulin -- google it. It's supposed to be at its brightest on Feb. 24... visible to the naked eye.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
OK SOMEONE PLEASE

take a picture of this star. Dont use a telescope, that doesnt help us. I saw one great picture on this page I just kinda want another one just so theres more to look at and compare. I see venus everynight. It completely outshines other stars. But in the pic a few posts above this one that star is crazy bright.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
If you're seeing a bright "star" in the southwest between sunset and 9pm EST, that's Venus. Astronomy websites also list Sirius as being very bright right now, but mention it appearing in the southeast.

I live in Michigan and went outside just after 8pm, and Venus was about 20 degrees above the horizon (I'd guess) west-southwest, and so bright it could be seen through the cloud cover.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by King neptune117
OK SOMEONE PLEASE

take a picture of this star. Dont use a telescope, that doesnt help us. I saw one great picture on this page I just kinda want another one just so theres more to look at and compare. I see venus everynight. It completely outshines other stars. But in the pic a few posts above this one that star is crazy bright.

The one that I can see (which is indeed labeled Venus, as I have said) is *that* crazy bright (as in the picture) and close looking. Quite spectacular really. Feel blessed to be able to view such a gorgeous sight.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Just an off the cuff thought, could this be a really big lightsail braking against the solar wind?

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I just went out and looked, it is cold tonight, very clear. The star looks very bright and white, no sign of red, and it does not blink. Very intense.

It is approx. west of me. I am in Southern Kalifornia, Inland Empire, which is the San Bernardino/Riverside area.

check this site out. It looks like Venus.
www.lightandmatter.com...

[edit on 2/14/2009 by Oolon]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
This star you are talking about, I made a post about it over a year ago. It has only become even more brighter over the last few months, even though over a year ago it was still pretty dang bright. And this star doesn't wane like all the other stars/lights in the night sky, another reason I thought it was so strange.

Here is that link: www.abovetopsecret.com...

And in my post there was someone else who was talking about another bright light as well back in April of 07‘.

Here is that link: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now I know for a fact the star everyone is talking about on this thread is the same one I mentioned in the above post, over a year ago, because I have been watching it ever since. I have never seen a planet continue to stay so bright for such a long time before.
I don't know if the second post is talking about the same bright light or not but that person did provide some damn interesting pictures.

[edit on 14-2-2009 by littlebunny]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
its out my front every nigh i think its the space station

[edit on 14-2-2009 by geopyt]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Phage, if you want to play semantics, that's cool. But the basic fact of the matter is that stars appear to twinkle because of how far away they are. Any object that is within our solar system that we could see with our naked eye would NOT, because of their relative closeness, in comparison. That isn't conjuncture, that is fact. Satellites do not twinkle either. And yet they are damned small in comparison. But again, anything that is within our own solar system, that we could detect with our naked eyes, would never appear to have the same amount of scintillation as a star.

And yes, it's pretty common knowledge that seeing things lower on the horizon that is seen through more of our atmosphere would appear to scintillate more, including planets. And yes, planets and satellites can twinkle if it is windy and our atmosphere is not calm.

But for any object like this: If it is large enough to be seen with the naked eye, and it is seen to always "twinkle," then there is no way it is in our solar system. Ergo... it's a star. So if the main draw to this object is that it changes colors a lot, and is "bright," then it's a bright star. It is not an object in our solar system. That is the point I'm trying to make.

If you want to say that perhaps a tiny but REALLY really bright object appeared in our solar system would scintillate, ok.. fine.
But if that is the case, I don't think we have lots to worry about.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

yes exactly stars we see a this time are far in the past as it takes a # load of time for the light from them to reach us on this so called lonesome planet at the centerer of the universe

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
im in illinois, which way is this star facing. Unfortunately I live about an hour away from chi-town and i am not entitled to a star-filled sky. I can see about 30 stars in the whole sky, thats about it. Venus is bright as hell.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

Sorry, I wasn't talking about a specific object. I was talking about twinkling in general. As you (and I) said, under the right conditions planets can twinkle.

This thread seems to be about both Venus and Sirius though. Sirius, being a bright star definitely does twinkle. Since Venus is now only visible low in the sky, where scintillation is enhanced because the light is traveling through much more air, it is very likely to twinkle. I've seen it do it. Not all the time, but frequently.

Here's what a real astronomer has to say about it:

When high in the sky, Venus shines very steadily, without twinkling like the other stars (here's why). But as Venus gets lower in the sky, its light has to pass through more and more of Earth's atmosphere. And, in the spring, the atmosphere tends to be more turbulent, as weather systems cross the continent and warm air and cold air collide. So, when low in the sky in the spring, even Venus can twinkle. And not only can it twinkle, but it can appear to rapidly change colors, because that same turbulent air bends affects different colors of light differently. So, instead of being a steady beacon in the night sky, Venus at times can appear to be a bright, color-changing point hanging low over the western horizon, slowly sinking toward the Earth.
blog.professorastronomy.com...

[edit on 2/14/2009 by Phage]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I too have seen this start/planet and it is very unlike any other star in the sky... it doesn't flicker but has a contatnt 'shine' to it... it's big and it's bright... I thought it was Nibiru also but it doesn't have the red tint to it but I could be wrong.. whatever it is I expect it to get closer and brighter since we are just now starting to really take notice.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
it is blue?

Wormwood.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
"Signs in the skies" as the bible says
yea i've seen a bright star and another one that blinks red and blue
up here in canada, the weirdest part is that the bright star only shows up on some days and almost seems to change positions in the sky.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
i`m on south region brazil (25*24'; 49*17' big city, 2,5mill+ ppl) , and that eliminates sirius -- since it`s summer here.

i`ve been watching one big bold celestial body that completely overwhelms all the others in terms of brightness, on that scale provided, i`d say at least a 6, from a layman guesstimate.

after the sunset, sligthly southwest from the sun (or a bit left), the star i`m seeing appears at about 35 degrees from the horizon, it orbits northbound, decreasing its angle down to some 15-20ish degress. i can spot it during dusk well up untill 3-4am (mind you we`re on daylights saving time, summer time). i searched some info on venus orbit, south hemisphere perspective, but couldnd`t find much on it yet -- and being lazy, i`d came to ask if those rough angles and timing i provided reasserts or deny venus, especially because i`m on the south region of a different hemisphere than most of you.

btw, i din`t notice any flickering, scintillation, at all. just a big bold yellow glow (fainter than the sun, obviously, although somewhat golden tinted)

ps. can`t take pictures of it because we had like 4 clear days/nights since new year's eve. it has been one cloudy cold summer for us here.
ppss. i`m experiencing a huge memory leak with stellarium, already lowered the resolution but couldn`t use it yet. gonna hit their forums for some troubleshooting.

[edit on 15-2-2009 by maoklein]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Here in Houston TX , USA I have seen this on most nights now for a couple of months. Its so large I always at first asume I am looking at a airplane, but then I notice it is not moving. It's in the west , I pick up my wife from work usually between 7-9 pm cst. I drive to the west to pick her up. Mt apartment (flat) door faces west when I see it to get to my auto. I do see a lot of aircraft being close to a small plane airport and not far from two large airports.

Funny how every night I think the same thing - airplane- oh it didn't move. I have assumed its Venus, the largest I have ever seen venus.

[edit on 15-2-2009 by watchd0g]

[edit on 15-2-2009 by watchd0g]

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join