It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange star in the sky

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
What do you guys make of all this "chatter" on the net about a strange bright star in the sky?
I have observed it myself at night. Its very bright and unmistakable. I checked selarium and it does seem to be venus as best as I can tell.
However if I am not mistaken, Planets are not supposed to twinkle or change colour. And this one does.
Feedback would be appreciated

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Well i keep hearing different things, all from seemingly professional astronomers... Venus, Jupiter, Sirius....

I too would like some official confirmation, that is resounding.. but im yet to hear it.

Its making quite a buzz where i am, lots of people are talking about.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
If it was near the moon, it was probably Saturn. It had made an appearance over the last few days.

Do you happen to have the coordinates?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Can anyone take a picture of this for us disadvantaged Northerners?

Thanks, perhaps this is Nibiru nearing Earth after 3600 years.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

If it was Saturn (and it probably was) it is no longer visible (I think). Besides, most cameras don't have the resolution to get good astronomical pics.

Nibiru.....

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Its probably a planet or comet

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
The only planets visible around this time are Saturn, and Venus. No comets are around, and if there was one, it wouldn't be mistaken for a star.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Im in the Northern Hemisphere (outside of Toronto). Saturn is the orange-ey colour star that rose just below the moon the past couple of nights. It goes from East to West and the best time to look at is probably 1 - 2 o'clock am.

Venus is visible in the south-west, appearing just as the sun begins to set. Its easily the brightest object in the sky besides the moon and has a bluegreen-white glow. Best time to look at it is around 7pm.

I spend a lot of time stargazing with my reflector telescope and I have no idea what that Blue-Red-White twinkling star is in South-West that really stands out around 2am. Does anyone have any idea? Ive looked at it through my scope at around 87x magnification and it looks exactly the same, multi-coloured and twinkling.

Any ideas on the star in question?

PEace

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRealDonPedros

If you give me the coordinates I'll take a look. Do you know what constellation it's in right now? Any clue as to when it crosses the meridian?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I believe it's called scintillation. I see 2 or 3 of these stars at a time during the night. It's really quite beautiful.

en.wikipedia.org...(astronomy)

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

It's probably a Naval Surveillance satellite.
They flash red, blue, green, and yellow but, not in that order!

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Well...I'm in the U.S. and my house faces due west and right now I can look out of my front door and see a very big - something - that does not twinkle. I mean it's big.

I'm under the impression that Venus is an early evening star, so I don't think that's it.

Does anyone else see what I'm talking about? I never noticed this until about four or five months ago.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by foremanator
However if I am not mistaken, Planets are not supposed to twinkle or change colour. And this one does.

I would say anything star or planet like would twinkle when observed from Earth because you are looking at it through the atmosphere, it's the polloution and other particles etc in the atmosphere that account for the twinkle.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by foremanator

Bit vague really.

Got a location?
Direction?
Time?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
That is one huge naval sattelite.
I've been watching that "star/sattelite" for weeks. Looks like a pink floyd concert in orbit! Strange how I've never in all my life seen a star like it.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Venus is the brightest body in the South Western sky at night and is increasing in brightness.

The planet getting the most attention in our evening sky lately is Mars. It passed closest to the Earth Oct. 29 at just more than 43 million miles. Blazing like a dazzling topaz beacon at magnitude -2.3, Mars has become the night's premier celestial attraction. And yet, it still shines with less than one-sixth the intensity of the brightest planet in the sky: Venus. Indeed, Venus is the first planet you'll spot as darkness falls. You can even see it before sunset if you know just where to look in the southwest sky. It is gaining altitude in the twilight, boldly showing itself off after six months of hiding behind any inconvenient obstructions near the southwestern horizon. Venus is brightening too, since it is speeding toward Earth as it catches up to us in its faster orbit around the Sun.

Space.com

I have watched Venus a kid from a cheap telescope for years but I don't remember it ever being as bright as today, even seems to pulsate like a star...

I read an somewhere that astronomers were saying that all of the planets were increasing in brightness...

One thing this sure, Its not planet x... you are supposed to be able to find that at about 9-9:30 to the upper right of the sunrise when viewed with filters or pin hole method...

Source

[edit on 12-2-2009 by Xcom2012]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
www.earthsky.org...

The planet Venus beams at its brightest these next few evenings.

If it's clear, you can't miss Venus in the west at nightfall. It's visible virtually everywhere worldwide. Venus is always the 3rd brightest celestial body to light up the heavens, after the sun and moon. But this world does vary in brightness as seen from Earth, depending upon its phase and distance from us.

Venus shows phases - just like the moon. But Venus isn't brightest when we see it as full. Instead, it's brightest - like now - at a crescent phase, at the point where it's about one-quarter illuminated by sunlight as seen from our earthly perspective.

Whenever we see Venus at a full phase, it has to be far across the solar system - with its fully lighted hemisphere facing our way - at a maximum distance from Earth. That's where Venus was 8 months ago, when it reappeared in the evening. Since then, Venus has been moving closer to Earth in its smaller, faster orbit. All the while, its phase has been decreasing - yet its disk as seen from Earth has been growing larger as the planet gets nearer.

Disk getting larger - phase getting smaller. The right combination of phase and disk size is occurring right now, to cause Venus to be at its brightest in the evening sky.

Watch Venus this evening, as its basks in its moment of glory.

Venus Swings to Greatest Evening Elonation in January 2009
idialstars.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Been noticing it from the East Coast and Stellarium exactly identifies it as Venus although it does seem unsually bright. Then again, I probably never cared to notice until now.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Well I think I've just seen this mysterious star that everybody is talking about. I'm in the US (Ohio) and the star is clearly visible in the western sky.

I've heard a few people say that it is Venus but I'm pretty sure that is not it. I've seen Venus in the sky plenty of times and this star is too big to be Venus. In fact, it is much bigger than any star or planet that I have ever seen.

I have my own theories as to why were are seeing this star but I will keep that to myself for now.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
The star/planet the op is talking about is very visable in the uk... lots of us here are wondering what it is, and also lots of people have mentioned it feeling like a 'presence'... i must say, when looking at it... i get a strange feeling.

It has been visable for about 2-3 months i think, it is bold, bright and just sits in the sky, it seems to have an orange tint..

I have never seen one quite like it in my 28 years.

There seems to be many questions surrounding it, with little answers.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join