It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange star in the sky

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRealDonPedros
reply to post by Chadwickus

Mr. Wickus, at 2am (In Toronto, as discussed yesterday) Sirius is at 2 degrees ALT. So, most people would definitely not be able to see it. It still is the brightest object in the sky but a tree/house/etc would block its view.

I stayed up pretty late last night stargazing with my telescope, the "Red,Blue and White" star that I was talking about turned out to be Procyon. As it approached the horizon the colours went from a steady blue/white to a twinkly red/white and blue. My last look at it was 2:30 and it looked like a "police car with its sirens on".

I'm quite sure that the "Red/blue/white" light is not the star that everyone is talking about though.

Seems to me like its post after post after post describing Venus or Sirius.

On a side note, it was the clearest/calmest night so far this year and the sky looked unreal. I was able to see the misty white tulip of M42 (Orions nebula) and I looked at Saturn for the first time at 175X without it being a blurred out mess. I could see 1 of its moons to the lower left (right due to reflector mirror) and could distinguish orangey, white coloured detail on the surface of the planet. I missed out on Venus because I was too busy telling people "YOURE LOOKING AT VENUS" to catch it before it chased the sun below the horizon.

All in all, best experience with my telescope so far (the rum helped a bit too).

Peace

PS. Any guys with scopes have any other favourite objects to look at in the sky?

Wow, your sky sounds amazing. Too bad I am stuck so close to a Major City and Metropolitan Area. We can have brilliant skies at times however, and ever since the Arctic Air Mass finally hit us again a couple of days ago, the Sky is as Lucid as Ever.

What Telescope set-up are you using?

LOL, Rum and Zooming In With Optics could quite possibly leads towards the discovery of new objects.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
So....

Any idea why Sirius is making it's self known these days?

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

Its a 3 inch reflector. I've got a few different lenses (12.5, 8, 4mm) and a Barlow (2x). This setup gives me somewhat decent flexibility as I can find things easily with the 12.5 (57X mag) and then center it and switch on the barlow with the 12.5 (giving me 112X). Theres a rule of thumb that you should only go 50X for each inch of mirror, so that maxes me out at 150X (leaving the Barlow with the 4mm useless).

I have a digital camera with a 22mm lens that can slide into the eyepiece but I have yet to figure out how to take a half decent picture.

And yes, "Rum & Scoping" is really fun. You gotta have patience and don't expect your wife/gf/bf to come join you.. because "ITS TOO COLD"

Peace

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

Sirius is visible at this time of year, every year. Like clockwork.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

It's always made itself known. No other star in the sky has more mythology/stories written about it. Its been the brightest star in the sky since the dawn of man.

- Egyptians based their calendar on the heliacal rising of Sirius

- The Ancient Greeks believed that the appearance of Sirius heralded the hot and dry summer, and feared its effects on making plants wilt, men weaken and women become aroused.[20] Due to its brightness, Sirius would have been noted to twinkle more in the unsettled weather conditions of early summer.

- The Romans celebrated the heliacal setting of Sirius around April 25,

- Ptolemy of Alexandria mapped the stars in Book VII and VIII of his Almagest, in which he used Sirius as the location for the globe's central meridian.

- Its culmination at the winter solstice was marked by celebration in Hawaii, where it was known as Ka'ulua 'Queen of Heaven'

The list goes on and on and on..

Peace

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   

- Its culmination at the winter solstice was marked by celebration in Hawaii, where it was known as Ka'ulua 'Queen of Heaven'

Sirius was known by several names to the ancient Hawaiians. Primarily it was called Aʻa (“Burning brightly”). The Hawaiians also referred to it as Hōkū-hoʻokele-waʻa (“Canoe-guiding star”) since it would lead to Tahiti, where it is the zenith star. The name Kaulua, also used, can be translated several different ways but I've never heard the reference to "Queen of Heaven".

The Hawaiians didn't really celebrate the winter solstice as such but instead devoted a period of about 4 months to the celebration of makahiki, devoted to the god Lono. But they did not directly associate their gods with specific stars.

[edit on 2/14/2009 by Phage]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Another Hawaiian name for 'A'a was apparently Kaulu-lena or Kaulua-lena, meaning "Yellow star"

I found quite a few pages that agree with it being called Kaulua (including its entry on wikipedia).

sambali.blogspot.com...

Peace

Edit - Actually wiki has a few Hawaiian names for Sirius - A'a, Kaulua and Hoku-Kauopae.

[edit on 14-2-2009 by TheRealDonPedros]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The name Kaulua, also used, can be translated several different ways but I've never heard the reference to "Queen of Heaven".

Really???

Here ya go, try google.

. Sirius served as the body of a 'Great Bird' constellation called Manu, with Canopus as the southern wingtip and Procyon the northern wingtip, which divided the Polynesian night sky into two hemispheres. Just as the appearance of Sirius in the morning sky marked summer in Greece, so it marked the chilly onset of winter for the MaoriMaori The word Maori refers to the indigenous people of New Zealand and to their language.... , whose name Takurua described both the star and the season. Its culmination at the winter solsticeWinter solstice *The solstice that occurs in winter:** December solstice in the northern hemisphere.... was marked by celebration in HawaiiHawaii Hawaii became the 50th state of the United States on August 21, 1959.... , .

It never hurts to explore outside of your programmed mindset.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways

The name Kaulua, also used, can be translated several different ways but I've never heard the reference to "Queen of Heaven".

Really???

Here ya go, try google.

. Sirius served as the body of a 'Great Bird' constellation called Manu, with Canopus as the southern wingtip and Procyon the northern wingtip, which divided the Polynesian night sky into two hemispheres. Just as the appearance of Sirius in the morning sky marked summer in Greece, so it marked the chilly onset of winter for the MaoriMaori The word Maori refers to the indigenous people of New Zealand and to their language.... , whose name Takurua described both the star and the season. Its culmination at the winter solsticeWinter solstice *The solstice that occurs in winter:** December solstice in the northern hemisphere.... was marked by celebration in HawaiiHawaii Hawaii became the 50th state of the United States on August 21, 1959.... , .

It never hurts to explore outside of your programmed mindset.

erm...
I don't see anything about "Queen of Heaven" in there. The makahiki began in October or November and lasted until February or March. Not exactly a solstice specific celebration.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
So....

Any idea why Sirius is making it's self known these days?

I think it might have something to do with our solar system moving through the Galactic center.
And before everyone scoffs at this idea please first read about "Paul LaViolette"
The motto of this site is "deny ignorance" condemnation before investigation is the height of ignorance.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

I don't see anything about "Queen of Heaven" in there. The makahiki began in October or November and lasted until February or March. Not exactly a solstice specific celebration.

My bad:

Bright stars were important to the ancient PolynesiansPolynesian culture Summary Polynesian culture refers to the aboriginal culture of the Polynesian-speaking peoples of Polynesia and the Polynesian outli... for navigation between the many islands and atolls of the Pacific Ocean. Low on the horizon, they acted as stellar compasses to assist mariners in charting courses to particular destinations. They also served as latitude markers; the declination of Sirius matches the latitude of the island of FijiFiji Fiji , officially the Republic of the Fiji Islands, is an island nation in the South Pacific Ocean, east of Vanuatu, w... at 17°S and thus passes directly over the island each night. Sirius served as the body of a 'Great Bird' constellation called Manu, with Canopus as the southern wingtip and Procyon the northern wingtip, which divided the Polynesian night sky into two hemispheres. Just as the appearance of Sirius in the morning sky marked summer in Greece, so it marked the chilly onset of winter for the MaoriMaori The word Maori refers to the indigenous people of New Zealand and to their language.... , whose name Takurua described both the star and the season. Its culmination at the winter solsticeWinter solstice *The solstice that occurs in winter:** December solstice in the northern hemisphere.... was marked by celebration in HawaiiHawaii Hawaii became the 50th state of the United States on August 21, 1959.... , where it was known as Ka'ulua 'Queen of Heaven'. Many other Polynesian names have been recorded, including Tau-ua in the Marquesas IslandsMarquesas Islands Summary The Marquesas Islands are a group of islands in French Polynesia.... , Rehua in New ZealandFacts About New Zealand New Zealand is a country in the south-western Pacific Ocean consisting of two large islands and many much smaller islands, m... , and Aa and Hoku-Kauopae in Hawaii.

This is a better external source.

www.absoluteastronomy.com...

[edit on 14-2-2009 by interestedalways]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
For Phage:

Just as the appearance of Sirius in the morning sky marked summer in Greece, so it marked the chilly onset of winter for the Māori, whose name Takurua described both the star and the season. Its culmination at the winter solstice was marked by celebration in Hawaii , where it was known as Ka'ulua 'Queen of Heaven'.

Ok, then.....

source:

ablevant.cn...

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Ok, I have now heard a reference. It seems like all the references used the exact same "source".

But there isn't much to back it up. According to Hawaiian historians Kaulua was an alternate name but there is no possible way to translate that to "Queen of Heaven".

Kaulua[-i-ha'i-mohai] or [-a-ha'i-mohai] ("Flower of the heavens"-M). Makemson says Kaulua means "Bright star"; Kaulua is also the name of a month: February on Hawai'i, June on Moloka'i, and December on O'ahu. The haole name for this star is Sirius (Alpha Canis Majoris).
pvs.kcc.hawaii.edu...

Ka'ulua, which would be an entirely different word, is not mentioned in my Hawaiian-English dictionary (Pukui and Elbert).

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I live in Central Canada and am currently waiting for the sun to go down to see said star/planet which Stellarium says should be Venus if following the sun.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
So what is your point Phage?

If it isn't in your realm of experience it isn't valid?

We the people are seeing an anomility which doesn't fit your paradigm

It's okay!

Your still smart in your box!

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

I like that how he questioned you about your data because it was lacking a link and didn't provide enough data for him to chew on. You even provide a link to prove your point yet it is wrong. It is not in his dictionary.

Why are we experiencing such questioning behavior from humans who say they are interested in truth? ( I used humans for you... I know you don't like pe....)

Just continues to boggle the mind.... You appear to be experiencing the very thing I am by your posts.

There really is no hope.... It's going to happen.... I just want people to see it and be ready so they can feel the need to drop all the hate and just be with those that are close to them in the end and love them.

It's really frightening to see so many beings deceived to the point that they would turn in their weapons for food. This is scary...

Rgds

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by foremanator

This twinkling star is Galactic Ferderation of Light. Sitting and waiting for evacuation when Mother Earth (Shan) starts cleansing do to the Jupiter ignition of our second Sun! Has'nt anybody done there homework?

The ignition was done on 2-12-09, we should see our second Sun about mid March.......

Dulcebase for a confirmation word: Come on, research other than conspiracy guys!

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   

My point is this;

I originally said that I knew of no reference to the Hawaiians referring to Sirius as the "Queen of Heaven". For some reason you thought that was significant and provided such a reference. The reference you provided was the same one which came from the poster who originally made the statement. It is also a reference which is found repeatedly (almost verbatim) in many different places. There are however, no historical references provided for the source of the information. On the other hand there are references which cite Hawaiian historians and experts which make no mention of Ka'ulua nor "Queen of Heaven".

It really doesn't matter for this discussion what the ancient Hawaiians called Sirius. But being master navigators they were very aware of its comings and goings. They knew it appeared at the same time and place every year. They were also very aware of Venus.

I too am aware of Sirius and Venus and know what I am seeing in the night sky.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

reply to post by surrealist1978

Well its been called Lucifer, its orbit when viewed from Earth makes a pentagram. Due to its extreme brightness it confounded our ancestors with its inability to behave as other stars in the heavens, it follows the sun forever chained to our solar system (Fallen Angel).

That cultural understanding could be ingrained in our DNA through the belief that nurture can affect nature over time.

Bottom Line - Its been giving people the willies for a long.... long.... time..

Peace

I forgot to mention I'm talking about Venus..

[edit on 13-2-2009 by TheRealDonPedros] [/quote

LOTS OF LOVE.....
WHEN I REFER TO IT BEING A WARNING...........
A WARNING OF GOOD IS UPON US OR SOON WILL BE,THEREFORE EVERYTIME I SEE IT I FEEL HOPE IN SOMEWAY......
BUT 2 BE HONEST I THINK IT COULD BE SATURN

PEACE2U2

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
As you can tell by the avatar, I would have found an unusual star by now. However, I have not in the northern hemisphere. I assume it is in the southern hemisphere, if at all. Probably just talking about Venus.

PS: click on my name and see the avatar in 3D.

How's that for cool?

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join