It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zecharia Sitchin..."he's just another one making a living selling books that treat folks to a tale

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
trying to pull up info on these two "scientists" and get a reliable source for quotes from opeinheimer .. I remember my science teacher telling us about his quote about not being the first nuclear weapon..... pretty sure its legit. again i am not saying the summerian texts translations are correct dont even know who he is..

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by tommyb98201 on page 2:
"Ive read a couple of his books. Then I chatted with a College professor about Sitchen. His command of the Sumerian language is lousy at best..."

Really? And I chatted with two college professors, three Governors, and at least five US Presidents. And they all found Sitchin to be great, impressive, and his command of the Sumerian language outstanding.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by CoolBlackHole]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
There have not been nuclear detonations, nor advanced technology in our past. There is NO proof. Where are the factories? The metal bits of technology? You can't create weapons and other advanced technology without a lot of byproducts. And there NONE. We can find spearheads from 3 thousand years ago.. but we can't find any of this advanced technology? Yea.. ok.

The 'advanced' ancient civilizations knew about the 5 visible planets, you can find plenty of references to them. That's hardly amazing science. They were visible to the naked eye. This dude crawls out of the woodwork, and claims that a SINGLE tablet that contains more dots is clear proof they knew about ALL the other planets. Yet.. there are no other references to them, anywhere.

It's all rubbish. And no, I won't read a single one of his books, because he is wrong. I am also not going to buy some land in Florida to prove to someone that it ISN'T prime real estate, either. I won't fund this guys lunacy.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoolBlackHole

Originally posted by tommyb98201 on page 2:
"Ive read a couple of his books. Then I chatted with a College professor about Sitchen. His command of the Sumerian language is lousy at best..."

Really? And I chatted with two college professors, three Governors, an at least five US Presidents. And they all found Sitchin to be great, impressive, and his command of the Sumerian language outstanding.

And who were they exactly?

Ive emailed the biblical scholar from www.sitchinisworng.com and asked him to come take a look at ATS. He may be able to provide a better look inti the Sumerian translations and seperate fact from fiction

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
This is how I look at it. Take the discloures project for example Steven Greer heads the Disclosure project. The DP is a great thing but when Steven Greer does the alien channeling on the side and promotes it himself, he lost my support. With Sitchin it is the same thing, i think he is really on to somthing he just needs to communicate it in such a way that people could accept it as a possible translation. Same thing with Zeitguist he made an okay documentary on world politics and the monetary system but for some reason had to open it up bashing everyones personal religion and be puzzled by the lack of public support. I mean the only thing that separates a whack jobs and conspiracy theorists is the manner in which they communicate their opinions.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
While I don't agree with the planet X theory, I don't see Sitchin's views as having any less validity or possibility than the more mainstream theories. Perhaps I seek the answers to different questions. I ponder what possible use humankind had for gold? Can't eat it, burn it for fuel, cook in it. It makes for poor building material and is definetely not a weapons grade metal? When did early humans figure out the cyanide extraction process? They obviously didn't pan for the stuff that decorated entire structures in ancient times? As a matter of fact, gold served no real purpose until the electronics age and its true potential resides in the nanoscale. Why did they bother?

Sitchins speaks about pervasive genetic engineering and based on what is now possible I don't see his interpretation as being far off the mark. Does anyone doubt if we had double the will and half the ethics we couldn't create chimeras in the lab? We could take any ape or monkey and mix our dna with theirs and turn a quadraped into a biped. It wouldn't be pretty and there would be a lot of monsters along the way, but it can be done. A bit more refining and we could create a sub species that could be trained to work and follow simple instructions. Tinker a bit more and we may find ourselves falling in love with the daughters of our own creation. There is no omnipotence or evolution needed. Yet, our abilities in genetics does not mean that we can forgo picks and shovels in our mining operations.

Another thing I often wondered was where did the concept of "royal bloodlines" or "divine right of kings" or even slavery originated. Why the different colors of humans? No one here believes that the yellow/brown/black labradour evolved on its own yet we settle for a theory that migrating humans with the ability to protect themselves from the environment just changed colors to adapt to the climate in less than a geological wink.
I don't agree with everything Sitchin states, but there is a truth there that has been passed down through the ages that shouldn't be ignored.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Mr Sitchin's books are a enjoyable read. Do I believe everything in them? No, but I would guess most people who read them don't. While his theories are a little out there, some of his questions do make sense. I am not one to believe aliens started our civilization, but I do believe they did visit and observe us. As outrageous as that idea sounds, it would explain many recorded sightings throughout history.

The idea of civilization being thousands of years older is not necessarily new, but it is an interesting idea. Many authors are using the old measurements we still use to ask the questions of where the knowledge came from.

If you don't like the book, fine, but let others enjoy them and make up their own minds. When the theories pop up here, we can try to counter some of his theories.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
First off, there is NO evidence that the Sumerians "knew about all the planets" outside of Von Daniken and Sitchkin. They did not. They did, however, know about all the planets visible to the naked eye. They, along with the Mayans, were top-notch astronomers for their time.

Some of the planets ARE visible to the naked eye. Mercury, Venus, Earth (of course), Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn are all visible to the naked eye. The ancients knew they were not stars, because they move against the background of stars, hence the term "planets" (from the Greek "planetes", meaning "wanderers"). Also, planets can be distinguished from stars because planets don't twinkle like stars do.

That being said, there's no reason why another planetary body with an orbital period of 3600 years CAN'T be out there, on it's way back in to us on a highly elliptical orbit. Isn't that possibility why astronomers are always searching for "planet X", resulting in the discovery of Pluto, and now several other bodies from the Kuiper belt? However, a body in a 3600 year elliptical orbit is thoroughly unlikely to sustain any sort of life at all, much less an advanced civilization of "Annunaki", due to the temperature extremes produced by the ellipticity of the orbit. Any "internal heating" arrangement would have been discovered long ago by infrared emissions. Since they have not, the only heat source for the planet would have to be the sun. During the orbital portion beyond Jupiter, it would be frozen, and beyond Pluto, REALLY frozen. But no reason it has to be non-existent, just non life bearing.

The part about time passage rate being dependent on orbital diameter if bunk. According to Einstein, if you care to believe him, (I don't in some cases, but that's another story) the rate at which time passes is dependent on velocity, not distance. and even at that, velocity has to be a significant fraction of C (speed of light) before the effects are noticeable.

In summation, there's no reason such a body could not exist, and near passage of it to Earth COULD cause tidal disruptions such as earthquakes and floods, but it won't be chucking any Annunaki at us. Sitchkin's theories could be BASED on facts, but they are flights of fantasy.

You asked for my opinion, there it is. For the record, I studied Astrophysics at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.

nenothtu out

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
There have not been nuclear detonations,

Not saying i believe ZS but there is evidence of prior nuclear explosions. There are at least 28 unexplained rock formations in the middle eastern area which are not volcanic in origin. Some of these rocks are identical to by-products of U.S. nuclear tests. You should look into it, good reading.

here's one link, i'm afraid there isn't a lot of very good material on the web about this issue. www.ufodigest.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
First poster summed it up.
Flagged this great thread.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaviorComplex on page 2:

Obviously he's attacked BECAUSE HE IS TELLING THE TRUTH.

You're right. It could not be because he is wrong.

Nice try - factoring out the essential. Look at the WAY in which he's attacked - by ridiculing and distortions, but not by real arguments. That's mostly the case when somebody tells the truth.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Nice try - factoring out the essential. Look at the WAY in which he's attacked - by ridiculing and distortions, but not by real arguments. That's mostly the case when somebody tells the truth.

So when Nibiru failed to turn up in 1998, 2000, 2003 etc.....that was the truth?

No wonder his credibility is none short of crap

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by WatchNLearn
Wow, I can tell that you have not yet read any of his books yet. It always amazes me when people debunk books without actually reading them. It's a great trick of professional debunkers and fundamentalist Christians.

I am not saying you are either, but you should be careful that you don't get lumped with them.

I myself have read ALL of The Earth Chronicles, Genesis Revisited and The Lost Book of Enki.

No, I do not take everything that Sitchin says as fact, but I do admire his "theories". Sitchin puts forward an alternative theory on the creation of humans, and the Bible stories etc. It is a fascinating read, and more believable then anything I learnt in high school biology or Sunday school.

Furthermore, Sitchin's work has inspired hundreds of other books, websites, DVDs etc. so that in itself is worthy of something. He has even caused MANY "Academics" to rigorously research his claims...

And for the record, Sitchin has stated on MANY occasions that he believes Nibiru will return around 2063-2065.

ps. He also has only said that he is one of about 200 people in the world that can read Sumarian. He never claimed he was the only one.

[edit on 21/1/09 by WatchNLearn]

===================================

good post and reply WatchNLearn!!

I too have read Sitchin's work and I must say...I too enjoy the ideas his books spark.

And whats' the difference between people reading his books and pulling SOME truth out of the translations and other people reading the bible, koran, torah, etc., which are ALL obviously mistranslated??

Many famous "prophets" thorughout history have not been 100% accurate ever but, people still revere them as "prophets".

Bottom line...I love what Zecharia writes. I take what I want from all of it and definitely believe in most of what he says was written on those tablets unearthed by Layard...which is FACT.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
This got me thinking. What if these Sumerian tablets held information that would throw our social structure into conflict? What if certain religions no longer applied, or one was praised above another?

It's possible then to reinvent a new way of interpreting Sumerian Tablets so that any who try to re-read them would get a broken understanding.

You know for example how the Christians set fire to the Library of Alexandria?

I'm not saying the man is right, just thinking about very probable realities.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
"Sitchin alone can look at a Sumerian tablet and see that it depicts a man being subjected to radiation. He alone knows how to correctly translate ancient terms allowing him to discover such things as that the ancients made rockets (ibid., p. 46).* Yet, he doesn't seem to know that the seasons are caused by the earth's tilt, not by its distance from the sun.

Thats pretty good for someone who is apparently an educated man. "

Ok so i have a problem i would like to address.. First and foremost if the earth is on this 23.5 degree tilt called precession that takes 25,920 years to complete then why would the seasons change with such equilibrium due to the tilt.. Wouldn't it be more reasonable to assume that because we rotate around the sun every 365 days that the distance from the sun in certain stages of that rotation would constitute the changes in our seasons? I mean i could very well be wrong, but the idea that our seasons change every four months or so from a tilt that takes so long to complete and our seasons are relatively the same every year give or take a few degrees just seems flawed.. Call me crazy

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaviorComplex on page 2:

He's probably the most accurate researcher of ancient times.

And you judge this on what basis?

In my honest opinion his writings are surprisingly precise and convincing, e.g.:
- the "giants" subject: many convincing references suggesting "unnaturally" big humans actually existed, like "giants"’ bones still in some museums, old pictures, articles of old newspapers, ancient records of "beings" exactly like Sitchins states.
- Many endorsements of the possibility of an additional planet in our solar system (partially even by NASA).

Additionally one must say only an accurate and precise author could become that successfull.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
"And whats this about Nibiru only being visible from the Southern pole. Anyone, that knows basic astronomy knows that if something is visible at the southern most point of the globe, then it is visible from the entire southern hemisphere."

Not if it is only visible with a powerful IRTelescopes like the SPT. I doubt that amatuers have the same powerful scopes. Also it will be visible by the end of May this year to amatuers in the southern hemisphere because it will be much closer. The faintess of the object and the angle make it visible only to the SPT right now. The object is way below the plane of the ecliptic.

What is even more facinating is that where this object is conjectured to be all three top sky map services, MicroSoft, Google and another that escapes my memory right now, have either black squares or cut and pastes blocking, or censuring, the area of sky in question... there is your coverup, smoking gun evidence go check it out yourself...

yowusa.com...

"Considering that none of the observatories and private astronomers have found anything to idicate an enormous planet (or star in some cases) is hurtling towards us, then still why is this considered a plausible theory? Also, some Nibiru'ers claim that it is hiding behind the sun, which is why we cant see it, again, this is impossible."

When you see it, everyone will see it... thats when the shrt hits the fan...
peace, love, understanding...

[edit on 21-1-2009 by Azgard123]

[edit on 21-1-2009 by Azgard123]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman on page3:

"... Ive emailed the biblical scholar from www.sitchinisworng.com and asked him to come take a look at ATS. He may be able to provide a better look inti the Sumerian translations and seperate fact from fiction."

Great! And I'll ask somebody from www.sitchinsright.com.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

In my honest opinion his writings are surprisingly precise and convincing...

That just tells me why you accept his conclusions. It does not tell us why you think he is the only accurate scholar. Out of curiousity, how many other scholars have you read regarding Sumerian myth?

Additionally one must say only an accurate and precise author could become that successfull.

Really now? There are authors, accurate and precise and talented, who languish in obscurity, and authors who become bestselling phenomenons while being mediocre talents and often selling lies. Mein Kampf, for instance, is a far best-seller still than anything Sitchin has produced.

Again, the number of people believing in something does not reflect its validity.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by socrates271
You know for example how the Christians set fire to the Library of Alexandria?

The Library was burned four times. The first was by Caesar. The last was by Amr ibn al 'Aas in 642.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join