It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zecharia Sitchin..."he's just another one making a living selling books that treat folks to a tale

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Really people, how on earth can you believe a man that claims he is the only one that can correctly translate ancient Sumerian tablets, with no formal education in ancient history. If his translastions were correct, then that mean all the other ligitimate, ancient biblical scholars in the world are incorrect, or misread the same tablets. Now in my opinion, thats apretty enormous call.

So Sitchins claim to fame, is apparently that "gods" from another planet, Nibiru, came to Earth 450,000 years ago, and created humans through the gentic engineering of female apes. He also claims the planet Nibiru, sits outside Pluto and orbits the sun every 3600 years. Because Nibiru sits so far out from the sun, its only source of heat comes from within, by the decay of radioactive materials. He also claims that human descendants of these "gods" killed themselves off 4000 years ago, with nuclear weapons, despite the fact that there is no evidence to sunstantiate this outrageous theory.

Sitchin alone can look at a Sumerian tablet and see that it depicts a man being subjected to radiation. He alone knows how to correctly translate ancient terms allowing him to discover such things as that the ancients made rockets (ibid., p. 46).* Yet, he doesn't seem to know that the seasons are caused by the earth's tilt, not by its distance from the sun.

Thats pretty good for someone who is apparently an educated man.

According to a real sumerian ancient text scholar,

"[Sitchin] demonstrates a consistent lack of appreciation of even some of the most basic fundamentals of Sumerian and Akkadian grammar, even to the extent of regularly failing to distinguish between the two entirely different languages, and mixing words from each in interpreting the syllables of longer compound words." This mixing of languages allows Sitchin to make amazing "discoveries."

Due to his arrogance, and claims of being the only one able to translate the tablets, he is shunned by other ancient scholars and stands alone with his belief about Nibiru (apart from the conspiracy theory community, and his followers)

So despite all this information discrediting Sitchin, why do people still believe in it?

And whats this about Nibiru only being visible from the Southern pole. Anyone, that knows basic astronomy knows that if something is visible at the southern most point of the globe, then it is visible from the entire southern hemisphere. Considering that none of the observatories and private astronomers have found anything to idicate an enormous planet (or star in some cases) is hurtling towards us, then still why is this considered a plausible theory? Also, some Nibiru'ers claim that it is hiding behind the sun, which is why we cant see it, again, this is impossible.

Another point to consider is the failed appearance of it in 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, and late 2008. If a prophecy fails to come true on more than one occasion, why continue to believe it?

So I dont understand why people are getting all worked up about it, there's no evidence, people are taking the word of an economist (Sitchin was an economist of all things), and worse of all negelecting all the evidence that points towards the Nibiru theory being unplausible.

www.sitchiniswrong.com...

jcolavito.tripod.com...

www.doomsdayguide.org...

Thoughts on this?

Just to add, the first link is from a real ancient text scholar, he has tax returns to prove it

admin edit: removed "not nice name" from title. No reason to sling names regardless of one's opinion of the person.

[edit on 1-21-2009 by Springer]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Agreed, ive got nothing to add.

Flagged so more people can see this.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I still think the best bit is where the aliens spend hundreds of thousands of years digging for gold with stone tool and antler picks, then decide to genetically enhance the local apes - and get them to do the job for them using the selfsame tools.....

I mean: advanced genetics but can't even invent metal tools?

And as for having to build a pyramid as a signpost because they don;t know how to read maps or use a compass ....

Edit: oh, and the bit where the aliens live 3,600 years longer than humans because although they look like humans and are biologically the same as humans, they evolved on a planet that takes 3,600 years to orbit the sun .....

Still, if anyone want to live to be 300 just move to Mars

[edit on 21-1-2009 by Essan]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   

how on earth can you believe a man that claims he is the only one that can correctly translate ancient Sumerian tablets, with no formal education in ancient history.

The red light flag in most people's minds should go up when something like that is taken into context about the person who's giving out information on the "Ancients." I suppose fame is just as high on the priori of people as greed [money itself] so he wanted to cash in on this idea, and being that 2012 was a ways away it would be perfect. Not only that, he could change the date on a Whim a few times when it didn't show up due to unforeseeable circumstances or something within' the universe

+14 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Wow, I can tell that you have not yet read any of his books yet. It always amazes me when people debunk books without actually reading them. It's a great trick of professional debunkers and fundamentalist Christians.

I am not saying you are either, but you should be careful that you don't get lumped with them.

I myself have read ALL of The Earth Chronicles, Genesis Revisited and The Lost Book of Enki.

No, I do not take everything that Sitchin says as fact, but I do admire his "theories". Sitchin puts forward an alternative theory on the creation of humans, and the Bible stories etc. It is a fascinating read, and more believable then anything I learnt in high school biology or Sunday school.

Furthermore, Sitchin's work has inspired hundreds of other books, websites, DVDs etc. so that in itself is worthy of something. He has even caused MANY "Academics" to rigorously research his claims...

And for the record, Sitchin has stated on MANY occasions that he believes Nibiru will return around 2063-2065.

ps. He also has only said that he is one of about 200 people in the world that can read Sumarian. He never claimed he was the only one.

[edit on 21/1/09 by WatchNLearn]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by WatchNLearn

ps. He also has only said that he is one of about 200 people in the world that can read Sumarian. He never claimed he was the only one.

Hes just saying that so he makes sure hes 6ft under when nothing happens in 2012.

You know... escape the 'wtf we're you on about old man!'.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Originally posted by Essan
I still think the best bit is where the aliens spend hundreds of thousands of years digging for gold with stone tool and antler picks, then decide to genetically enhance the local apes - and get them to do the job for them using the selfsame tools.....

I mean: advanced genetics but can't even invent metal tools?

And as for having to build a pyramid as a signpost because they don;t know how to read maps or use a compass ....

Edit: oh, and the bit where the aliens live 3,600 years longer than humans because although they look like humans and are biologically the same as humans, they evolved on a planet that takes 3,600 years to orbit the sun .....

WOW, which book(s) was all that in? Gee, I haven't managed to read any of those claims yet even though I have read about 8 of his books!

Please tell me the Title and page numbers would also be great.

It's so much fun finding out all this new stuff I didn't know about!

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   

He also has only said that he is one of about 200 people in the world that can read Sumarian. He never claimed he was the only one.

But he claimed he was the only one in the world that was able to translate the tablets correctly, despite the fact that he has no knowledge of ancient text. His actual proffesion was as an economist. All the other biblical scholars that are able to translate Sumerian language disagree with his interpretations

Oh and not a proffesional debunker, just skeptical on certain topics

[edit on 21/1/2009 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

WOW, which book(s) was all that in? Gee, I haven't managed to read any of those claims yet even though I have read about 8 of his books!

Please tell me the Title and page numbers would also be great.

You mean I've got to back and read through them all again to find the relevant references - how cruel are you?

Obviously none of it is specifically stated - but he does offer evidence of ancient mining in Africa carried out using stone tools as antlers and proof that his aliens operated mines there; he often states that the Giza pyramids were built for aircraft navigational purposes; and the longevity of his aliens because they live on a planet with a long orbit is also implicit more than once.

Oh, and I forgot the bit about the Antarctic ice sheet falling into the sea and causing a flood that buried all the aliens cities under hundreds of feet of silt ...... you know, the ice sheet from which we've extracted 900,000 years worth of ice cores ......

[edit on 21-1-2009 by Essan]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by WatchNLearn

While i have enjoyed some of Sitchin's books, i have also enjoyed many Stephen king books or H.G. well's books... however, I don't believe a dead cat is gonna come back or that i can become an invisible man.... And it's not because I'm a debunker or a religious nut!!

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Too often we put people on pedestals and then are disappointed when they don't live up to the way we think they should. The people we put on pedestals are sort of like our personal cult leaders.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

He even has a built in fail safe.

He will probably be dead before 2012 - he was born in 1922.

*But there will be a lot of Younger 2012 Hypists to laugh at and point fingers at while we all laugh....

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Furthermore, Sitchin's work has inspired hundreds of other books, websites, DVDs etc. so that in itself is worthy of something.

No, its not. The amount of material it has inspired is not an indication of validity; a premise built on a falsehood is still flawed no matter how many imitators it has.

He has even caused MANY "Academics" to rigorously research his claims...

The implication here being they are researching them because they believe them. It is not because they believe his claims, but rather so they can debunk his claims.

Further, the use of quotations around "academics" is an implication that because they do not agree with Sitchin that they are somehow unworthy of the title.

And for the record, Sitchin has stated on MANY occasions that he believes Nibiru will return around 2063-2065.

Which would mean the last time Nibiru was in our neighborhood was 1537 BCE. We have a pretty good idea of what was happening in the world around that time. Yet there is no evidence what-so-ever of something like Nibiru in historic and archeaological records.

He claims he is the only one making the correct interpretation.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
at last thank you for this, there was me thinking i was the only one who could see the gaping great holes in the absolute rubbish this man was passing off as fact, although i do have to admit that it was him and this whole nibiru crap that brought me to ATS in the first place so i do at least have to thank him for that! star and flag for you my friend its nice to know that there are at least some people out there that demand REAL evidence as proof before breaking out the tin foil hats, superbly done mate

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Sitchin serves an agenda. He is a tool.

His translations are not accurate translations but interpretations. Yes, there is a true core on all that but it is very misleading in certain areas. And, no, there is no planet that enters the inner solar system in a 36,000 year ecliptic cycle. So, nobody needs to be afraid of the destructive consequences of a planet nibiru.
That doesn't mean there won't be cataclysms on our planet when we approach a rare alignment within the next few years. That's a different story.

But as far as Sitchin goes. I believe he knows what's going on but just doesn't tell. His books have a purpose and that's NOT to bring you closer to the truth.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by thegreatobserver]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Not true, his translation and his work are base on 2 prior researchers work.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
If he had a PhD and wrote his books would it be better? When There is proof there that the summarians knew about all the planets without telescopes.how is that possible? And that does not come from translation it was drawn. When it comes to archeology the academic community throws out what does not fit or what they can't explain. Is this any better than god created the world in 7 days and an undead jewish carpenter is the savior of mankind? I do not think that this 12th planet will return but again, how did the ancients know about it? how did they know about all the planets, the asteroid belt and uranus being on its side?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Ignoring for a second the pun directed to Stitchin, Annunaki, Nibiru... I'm just curious what is the number of cuneiform tablets discovered and how many of them are made public. Can't remember when and how but I've read years back that alot of them aren't being shown publicly for unknown reasons. Any input?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by YoungStalin

The ancient cultures, no matter if sumerian, egyptian, mayan, etc.....had the ability to communicate directly with the Lords of Light. Whole cities were built with that in mind.
They received wisdom from the highest source. In comparison to what these cultures kew our cutting edge science is child's play.....

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
im not sayin i beleive it all but i have read his books.they do cause one to think and i feel its ok to do that,i have never read anywhere in his books a real prediction of px return.he is really not trying to make the call on the end of days,thats alot of people who run wild with his material.what i find the most fasinating about these books are the ancient knowledge these people had.if you were to look at one of there diagrams of the solar system there really isnt alot for translation,its just a drawing of the planets the way they believed to be.now as i picture myself in that time ,thousands of years ago and i were to draw a solar system, it would have consited of two heavenly bodies (sun and moon) right?,along with a bunch of stars and thats it.their drawings are very detailed compaered with a diagram of to day ,im not arguing weather or not its 100% accurate but its pretty darn close ,anyone would have to admit.having said that ,my next question then becomes how did they know mars was planet and not just another star?and how did theyknow jupiter was so much larger than mars when we cant even see it with the naked eye,not to mention how they knew about pluto.just as a side note in closing,im glad they threw pluto out of our solr system cause i wouldnt want to go all the way out there to defend it should they ever get attaked

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join