It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man refuses to drive 'No God' bus

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
It's not just any old bus and this is not just an ordinary advertisement!
It's THE ATHEIST bus! All the newspaper articles. Dawkins and Harris Applauding it WAY before anyone dissented to drive it MADE it a big issue.
That man doesn't have to drive that motorized propaganda. (Especially when there are so many other buses to transfer to.)

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Okay if you're all still arguing you obviously didn't read my post. This invokes the wrath of Mjolnir!

Anywho

Originally posted by machinegun_go_go
Nevertheless, I'd be grateful if you could explain the whole long division analogy to me.
[edit on 19-1-2009 by machinegun_go_go]

Haha I meeaan that in doing long division, the very same from when you were little, you come up with a divisor and a remainder, and the teacher marks it right. But a cursory check on any rationally thinking calculator will show that numbers can't divide with remainders left! It was just a joke.

Originally posted by moocowman
Surely by exposing the religious lies with debate (bickering) we can help to lessen ignorance by creating an atmosphere of reasoning, thus helping to keep in check those that would create wars because of greed.

I for one will "bicker " all day long if it helps prevent my children being caught up in religious brainwashing.

No, see, I simply meant that ACTIONS speak louder then pourly spellled inteernt arguments that go in circles. Im fully aware that everyone kills everyone.

Originally posted by moocowman
Even an artichoke has a heart

lol! this contest is over!

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
What matters is bringing hope to the hopeless
What matters is bringing food to the hungry
What matters is bringing solace to the Prisoner
What matters is bringing strength to the weak.
What matters is bringing peace to the war-torn.
[edit on 19-1-2009 by HunkaHunka]

Now ya gettin it : )

Originally posted by Exuberant1
A Commercial advertisement for a product or a service is not a 'cause'....
Cheers!

Actually it is a cause. The aim is to takes our hard earned roubles

Originally posted by unworldly
If the driver had been a Muslim and the slogan on the bus had stated something negative and/or offensive towards Muslims, the driver wouldn't be frowned upon for taking a stand the way he did... but rather, he'd be glorified and put on a level somewhere in the realm of Rosa Parks. Because he'd be defending his beliefs and standing up for his rights, and thousands of people would rush to support his courage for doing so.

It seems to me that to baby and suck up to those with a NON-Christian religion is just simply the trendy, cool, politically correct thing to do in this modern age of ignorance. But wow, if a Christian person dares have the audacity to have very strong convictions, beliefs and sensitivities in support of their religion... then well, they're just an insignificant idiot that needs to get a clue. Right?

There are those among us that will forever continue to bash Christians under the guise of defending alternate viewpoints... but behind the politically correct approach of open mindedness, usually exists a very bigoted and closed mind towards any who would acknowledge or defend their Christian views.

Are you implying Rosa Parks is a Muslim?
No but seriously you seem to have a misconstrued hatred for Atheists and Muslims. Many Christians (I daresay most) have some conviction that Atheists have it in for them and push some "agenda" to destroy religion. Believe me they never even admit it under torture. What you're forgetting is that its not DISSING Christianity. It doesn't say "jezus suks" with a picture of a confused artichoke. It doesnt PROMOTE Atheism! It is simply _a statement_. Maybe a wrong statement, maybe right, (in my religion both simultaneous
) but, after all of the bickering, JUST a statement. It's like if the bus said "Sweden might be better than Norge." Im not offended. I just quietly fill my bus with Swedes and drive it into a fjord, jumping out at the last second!

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

The job description of a bus driver is that he has to drive the bus to carry passengers around, but it seems that there is no reason to take for granted that a bus would be used as a venue to advertise for a cause, this is not intrinsic to the job.

Obviously you've never driven a bus for this company,

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

That man doesn't have to drive that motorized propaganda. (Especially when there are so many other buses to transfer to.)

Indeed, everyone agrees with you, he doesn't have to do anything except breathe and pat taxes.

He chose not to drive the bus, no one forced him to and he stuck by his guns, however some would say he should have been sacked.

Ahmed drives buses, he may not like the Alpha Course adverts on the bus, but hey it brings home the bacon and Allah will make the infidels pay for their error.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
oh, boo-hoo, the driver got his fragile sensiblities offended. if his believe is strong, or even true, it shouldn't matter what was written on the sign.

and that goes for everyone who gets upset when their beliefs are challenged by something so inane and meaningless as a sign on a bus, or a book, or a movie.

believe or get off the pot.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Just because I know everyone doesn't read through all the posts I will post this again.

In regards to anyone who compares this guys actions to what would happen if a muslim did it........

Here you are............Here's a perfect example of a bus driver doing something just as bad. Actually in my opinion, WORSE.
Muslim bus driver Kicks off passengers to pray

Here's an ATS Thread about it if you're interested in the truth. If you want to just go on blaming Christians saying they get special treatment, then you're just naive, blind or biased.Either way ,it's your opinion and you have the right to it. I just wanted to point this little misconceived fact out.

EDIT to ADD............Just found this in regards to the OUTCOME of the muslim incident..........

[edit on 20/1/2009 by Revealation]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
It's not like people have been banned from saying Merry Christmas in public or anything to avoid offending non Christians. It's not like governments have been pushed away from religion and are being pushed to remove any mention of God from everything. It's not like you're accused of racism or anything if you say anything remotely bad about Muslims or Jews or anyone else huh?

This made me think of some BS that happened this Christmas season while I was in good ole Iraq. First off let me proclaim that I am not pro military I just needed a job, I became a conspiracist after I joined due to some of the things I've seen.

My Gunnery Sergeant tried to make me feel guilty for not celebrating in there sudopegan holidays, he literally told me "Everyone else is doing it and your junior Marines are looking forward to your participation in Christmas" @*%$ dude are you for real?

I can understand if things like the " there's probably no god" advertising. It's not like they tried and force him to say it when customers used the bus. GTF over it and drive your bus no one cares.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by killacaboose

Oh...so it was alright for you not to show up at the celebrations, even if you didn't celebrate and take part. But it isn't okay for this man to not want to drive a bus that disagrees with his beliefs...

Rather hypocritical...

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

reply to post by HunkaHunka

*It is not part of his job to drive around town promoting a 'cause'.

I said 'cause'.

Nice try!

Cheers!

An ad for a product is a cause. There is no difference between an Ad saying "Go See the Phantom of the Opera!" and "God doesn't exist...enjoy life"

They are both legal attempts at trying to get you to buy something.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by machinegun_go_go

Man shut up!!! He's standing up for his religion, God Bless Him! Muslims can do it, but we Christians can't!!!

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by machinegun_go_go

Yeah why don't we all just throw a tantrum when something goes against our religious beliefs. Lets close our minds and not accept anything that goes against our standard beliefs. This is one of the many reasons religion is crap. It gets people to turn their insecurities and problems into a religious fantasy belief system and when it is confronted they just spaz or leave and don't question. Or they just shoot each other, behead each other and I'm sure you get the point. We need to question or own beliefs and not just throw everything else out the window without looking at it. This is ridiculous and not very mature for anyone to do something like this. Religion incites war and almost seems like the unrealistic easy way out.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by N3krostatic

See I also feel that it depends on your religion.

If your religion teaches you that we can only apprehend God or Reality as Metaphor, than you aren't tied to literal translations, but rather learn how to have a relationship with that which is divine.

However, if it's based on literal translation and absolutes, then it does become crap real quick.

I starred ya though

[edit on 20-1-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Think of it like this, a teacher refuses to teach the students a subject based on a book, because she did not like the book.

What I am saying is, the man's job is: simply drive the bus.
He wasn't hired for his opinion on religions.

Just another person, getting out of their job with a stupid excuse. Pure laziness.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Yes, it is.

Please go apply for a job with the Regional Transit System. It clearly states in the application that you will be basically driving a billboard around and you have no say in what is going to be advertised.

Basically, it says this is America and you have the right to shut up and feed your family, or quit and walk away. It is up to you. You do not get the right to sign on to a job and then decide new conditions under which you are willing to perform them.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   

reply to post by HunkaHunka

I said 'cause'.

Nice try!

Cheers!

That is the saddest excuse for arguing semantics I have ever heard. A cause or a product, it does not matter. His job is to drive the bus with that on it. Have you worked in advertising at all? In the last 2 months, over 37% of the ads we put on movie screens were for 'causes' - stop smoking, buckle up, dont drink and drive, adoption is an option, etc...

You are smarter than this response. He knows his job is to drive advertisements he may not like. They may be for ANYTHING. Besides, if you play by your rules, does that mean if it was promoting a homosexually themed play or film and he made this stand that you would then condemn him since that would be a product?

Just trying to follow this logic.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I think everyone needs to understand freedom a little bit.

I don't agree with or practice Christianity or any other organized religion but this man does, and his beliefs do state that if he denies God on Earth then he will be denied God in heaven. So if he wants to refuse to drive that bus, he has the freedom to do so, and I do agree with that.

But you also have to realize that the bus company and the person paying for the ad have the right to practice and express their beliefs as well.

The point I'm trying to make is that he has the freedom to refuse to drive the bus and the bus company has the freedom to refuse to pay him and/or fire him for refusing to work.

That's the problem with freedom, its a 2-way street.

[edit on 20/1/09 by thedonjuan]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedonjuan
The point I'm trying to make is that he has the freedom to refuse to drive the bus and the bus company has the freedom to refuse to pay him and/or fire him for refusing to work.

That's the problem with freedom, its a 2-way street.

that is all i am saying.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by thedonjuan

Well said.

I would suggest that if one doesn't believe in God, that is their choice.

But advertise it, trying to lure others into you trap, at your own risk.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Half of this world believes in god and the other half doesn't.
Half of that half that believes in God are too busy finding food for their children.

Religion is dying, it's pretty easy to see. People say that they believe in God, but they know from the back of their minds that "something is f-ing wrong".

But yeh... he doesn't want to drive because he's Christian? Then gtfo and put a Mexican or someone willing to work on the boss because getting a job is like trying to apply for a university nowadays.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I have another example. If you recall a south park episode were they made fun of Scientology and tom cruse, ect. The voice of the character chef is a Scientologist. he took loads of offense to this and refused to play along so they fired him. killed off his character as darth chef child molester. This got little to no media attention because this wasn't a christian sheep getting fired for it but it still stands as a lesson if you don't do your #ing job you'll get fired.

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join