It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man refuses to drive 'No God' bus

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by machinegun_go_go

Meh, whatever. Fire the putz and get someone normal to drive it. Problem solved.

Not quite as bad as those xtian pharmacists refusing to give out contraceptives (who should also be canned if they haven't been), but hey, the idiot wants to lose his job over an ad, that's his tough cookies.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by yellowcard

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by doneddward

It's not this guy... it's the whole of the religious masses.

Think about the Muslims who got irate over cartoon pictures of Mohammed.

It's the same narrow minded, primitive thinking which is ultimately a cancer to humans and which must be removed if we are to have any lifespan at all without killing eachother.

I hate to tell you to do this, but there is a South Park episode that sums up almost exactly what would happen if religion was gone forever...in the end we would still have wars, because religion is just an excuse to have war, it's not the cause; and were religion gone, we'd just find another reason to fight and society would be just as polar as it is now. Indians had wars that weren't over religion, Africans have wars over things that aren't religious, the U.S. has had wars without religion. The current Israeli war is not because of religion, it's because of land...

Fair enough.... still I think you get my point. Religious teachings are at the base of most of the hate that exists today. Whether that hate be of the other, or it be of what's inside, religion does more to bind than to free today.

I want religions teachings that don't lead to weak humans like this bus driver who gets his feathers ruffled by a sign encouraging people to enjoy life, when there are tragedies of a political nature like Gaza, which are occurring.

I mean really... a sign?

I'm speaking to the pettiness and piousness of today's "religious followers".

I find it so laughable and incompetent that people actually think that erasing religion would have a positive net effect on humans. There is 0 proof of it, and as for the sign, the man refused to drive the bus because it's offensive to him, that's respectable.

Really? You don't think the world would be a better place if there weren't so many people trying to get into heaven no matter the cost?

I can't tell you how many people I know who have been so messed up by religion.

I can say YES emphatically that the world would be a better place without it today.

I can also say emphatically that the wold would be an EVEN BETTER PLACE if Religion actually taught people to be free from these petty ideologies.

Even Buddha himself wasn't going to say anything about his enlightenment, until he felt that one of his friends was suffering and his tale would assist him.

Let's turn the tables, if the bus said "Go to Church or die" or "The government is no threat to your rights...enjoy your life"...and someone refused to drive the bus, it would be absolutely the exactly same, it would be respectable.

No, that's like trying to come up with a situation in which it would be respectable to punch a child.

The sign didn't say anything else... there is no "if the tables were turned" BS. There is only what actually occurred. I'm so sick of people saying that... it's like when people say "they".

I hardly consider myself religious, but seriously, some of you need to read up on cognitive bias, because it's so blatantly obvious when it comes to beliefs you don't agree with.

Now on that I agree wholeheartedly. And I find the most enjoyable way to fight against that kind of bias is to make a Characateur of it. And mine is that people who are bothered by legal signs are simply weak minded people.

The more polar you are against someone or a belief, the most you start to sound like them or it.

Exactly!

You've got it.

As long as someone sees my blatant polarization as idiotic then more will also see this idiots actions for what they are... weak.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by unworldly
If the driver had been a Muslim and the slogan on the bus had stated something negative and/or offensive towards Muslims, the driver wouldn't be frowned upon for taking a stand the way he did...

No this isn't true at all.

If they put a cartoon of Muhammed on it, and some Muslims got upset over it, I wouldn't give two pence.

The fact of the matter is though, that it wasn't a Muslim.

It was a petty, over pious Christian who hasn't got the faith to count his blessings that he has the luxury of being offended by a sign.

People are being laid off left and right all around me...

This guy is tweaked over a sign!?

Come off it!

[edit on 19-1-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
the no god signs should be taken off the bus period. That kind of sign is promoting non belief in God and shouldn't be there.
The man should be rewarded for his actions and given a raise for someone standing up for his rights.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunkaExactly!

You've got it.

As long as someone sees my blatant polarization as idiotic then more will also see this idiots actions for what they are... weak.

You aren't pointing out the positives of religion either, and calling people "weak minded" along with your anti-religious rhetoric makes you sounds just as arrogant and ignorant as the people you are criticizing. I hardly see how it's an effective method of making people see your point of view through others acting in a polar view of yours. My point is that that does not at all work, it makes people like me want to completely ignore what you say because it comes out so ridiculous.

The tables being turned scenario was a legitimate question, to pass it off as "we have to deal with what happened" is like an American saying we don't need to understand how the people we are bombing feel, because we aren't in that situation, we have to deal with what is happening to us; it's ignorant logic. So if a sign said "Go to church, or you're going to hell," and an atheist refused to drive that bus, I 100% guarantee that your view point of it "just being a sign" would be completely reversed.

[edit on 20-1-2009 by yellowcard]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by yellowcard

Originally posted by HunkaHunkaExactly!

You've got it.

You aren't pointing out the positives of religion either, and calling people "weak minded" along with your anti-religious rhetoric makes you sounds just as arrogant and ignorant as the people you are criticizing.

Well for one, most people are weak minded.

And the positives of Religion should be obvious, but they aren't. Because they are overshadowed by what's wrong with it.

Most of the Religious followers don't even know the real positives of it. If Jesus were a live today his attack on the state of religious practices and beliefs and their negative effect on society would be just as relevant today as they were 2000 years ago.

I hardly see how it's an effective method of making people see your point of view through others acting in a polar view of yours. My point is that that does not at all work, it makes people like me want to completely ignore what you say because it comes out so ridiculous.

Yes, but ultimately people like you are not my audience.

You appear to be rational.

I'm targeting the irrational.

The tables being turned scenario was a legitimate question, to pass it off as "we have to deal with what happened" is like an American saying we don't need to understand how the people we are bombing feel, because we aren't in that situation, we have to deal with what is happening to us; it's ignorant logic. So if a sign said "Go to church, or you're going to hell," and an atheist refused to drive that bus, I 100% guarantee that your view point of it "just being a sign" would be completely reversed.

[edit on 20-1-2009 by yellowcard]

See that's the thing.. it's a false argument because it didn't happen.

But I would say the Atheist was being stupid too... more so because he doesn't even believe in a God!

It is just a sign. And as long as it was legal, no one should have any issue with it...

Especially when people are losing their jobs everywhere.

Keep in mind... I'm not an Atheist. I'm a Christian. A Non-Conformist, Self-Reliant, Liberal Christian.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
yellowcard...

Do you see what I'm saying here. Look at this users post.

Originally posted by crazyjames65
the no god signs should be taken off the bus period. That kind of sign is promoting non belief in God and shouldn't be there.
The man should be rewarded for his actions and given a raise for someone standing up for his rights.

To think that this person actually believes that the non belief in God is somehow harmful. This poster believes it shouldn't be there at all...

See, that's what I'm saying. What kind of religion leads to that kind of reaction?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
it would be harmfull if we are promoting no God signs. What next will
we have to be atheists to quallify for whatever there is in this world.
To me it sounds like something is wrong when God is being taken
out of our lives.
Back to my point, maybe just maybe the man took this sign personal
just as anyone could have and decided that he will not be a part of
whatever is going on in this world as we know it.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyjames65

With all due humility and respect to your good self...

How can encouraging someone to think for themselves rather than blindly follow the doctrines passed down by men in dresses, self-righteous yet hate filled old timers and hypocrites be a bad thing?

I don't see how it can be to be honest with you.

You say about one day having to be an atheist to qualify for things. Is a similar system not in operation now with church schools and the like?

The world appears to be changing and becoming a little more secular which is good.

Are you perhaps afraid of the existence of a god being taken out day to day life because you have doubts about your own faith?

May I also point out that I am not questioning your faith or trying to take it away from you, just raising what to me is a valid point.

Peace,

MGGG

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by LiquidMirage

You have mischaracterized the position of the one whom you call a "nimrod," the individual whose intelligence you denigrate. This ad hominem argument sheds no light on the question, and says more about you in this instance than about him. I hope you reconsider your approach.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyjames65

Would you be happy if they were promoting no belief in Allah, Krishna Buddha, or L Ron Hubbard ?

A Christian recently claimed "When the jesusgod wants you there's nothing you can do " So how is it possible for an omniscient omnipotent being to not get what it wants.

Are you just afraid to ask yourself where's the evidence for why you believe the things you do? And if you have evidence, then this would exclude faith, so signs on a bus wouldn't actually be a problem would they ?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

"Are you just afraid to ask yourself where's the evidence for why you believe the things you do? "

He has faith silly....

You don't need religion to have 'faith' in the existence of god!

Sort of like aliens. Many people on ATS have faith in their existence...

There is no tangible evidence, not even UFO videos - UFOs which at one time where viewed through a theologically obfuscated dogmatic Perspective and were regarded as not technological, but spiritual in nature.

In any case, people who have Faith don't need evidence - they have faith.

(I'm going on faith that my father is my father and my mother is really my mother. I've never had them DNA tested and the photographic evidence is sketchy at best.)

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I agree. Its not really for him to decide what should or shouldn't appear on the side of the bus. His job is just to drive it.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by audio assasin

"His job is just to drive it."

Correct.

The job description of a bus driver is that he has to drive the bus to carry passengers around, but it seems that there is no reason to take for granted that a bus would be used as a venue to advertise for a cause, this is not intrinsic to the job.

It is not like a supermarket check out clerk would be expected to check out any item sold in the store including items that may offend the clerk's personal or religious sensibility,--say alcohol. That is part of the job and she would know that she would be doing these things before she was an employee, possibly before she even applied for the job.

*It is not part of his job to drive around town promoting a 'cause'.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

I'm sorry, but that is a non-argument to me, as buses have been carrying advertisements for one thing or another for years.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
reply to post by audio assasin

"His job is just to drive it."

Correct.

The job description of a bus driver is that he has to drive the bus to carry passengers around, but it seems that there is no reason to take for granted that a bus would be used as a venue to advertise for a cause, this is not intrinsic to the job.

Yes it is. Bus drivers pay is subsidized by the ad revenue generated by them. Ads are very intrinsic to driving a bus like this.

Maybe not a school bus, but this kind definitely.

That is part of the job and she would know that she would be doing these things before she was an employee, possibly before she even applied for the job.

Actually, as I mentioned it is... his bus promotes tons of things, from plays to products which he may or may not agree with, His bus has always had ads on it... he just doesn't like this one.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
He must be promoted

And all adverts must be immediatly replaced with Jesus is comeing back to judge ...repent and be saved from eternal hell

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I said 'cause'.

A Commercial advertisement for a product or a service is not a 'cause'....

Nice try!

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   

(I'm going on faith that my father is my father and my mother is really my mother. I've never had them DNA tested and the photographic evidence is sketchy at best.)

That was quite funny dude, made me chuckle

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   

There is no tangible evidence, not even UFO videos - UFOs which at one time where viewed through a theologically obfuscated dogmatic Perspective and were regarded as not technological, but spiritual in nature.

There is ample evidence that unidentified objects are a real phenomena, they occur but to date many remain unidentified.

I myself have witnessed a UFO no faith required, I saw something I have no idea what it was and make no claims as to what it was. I know what it didn't appear to be but of course I could be wrong.

Do other species live on other worlds ? I don't know it's possible and some would say probable, I'd go for 50/50.

What would convince me ? Empirical evidence, the same type of evidence that I would require to be convinced of the actuality of a jesusgod.

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join