It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man refuses to drive 'No God' bus

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Well than shouldn't you be more aware of that fact that if you are to burn in hell so be it? I think you guys should know better if you are to be burn in hell if you think the concept is silly why take it offensive. To you however the whole concept of burning in hell should be baseless shouldn't it? Why take offense to a concept in which you have to belief in? On the contrary Christians unlike the atheists have a faith system in which they believe that there is a God and surely they "Do not need Science to prove there isn't a God" That is why its Faith and not factual observance. I can't believe an atheist who doesn't believe in the concept of hell would feel offensive? HA HA HA indeed John HA HA indeed!

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by machinegun_go_go

It is freedom of speech and not illegal. I am a Christian to, but he has no choice in the matter what appears on the buses so he might as well just keep doing his job and live his life through action. That is the best form of your faith you can live, not by words or getting offended by everything. If there is an alcoholic or adult dating site on the bus, and I drive or ride it, does that mean I take part in those things or support them? Absolutely NOT, but it is their right according to the Constitution and laws of the land they live in to put what ads they do in public places. I don't agree with the ad, but it is their right.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by doneddward

It's not this guy... it's the whole of the religious masses.

Think about the Muslims who got irate over cartoon pictures of Mohammed.

It's the same narrow minded, primitive thinking which is ultimately a cancer to humans and which must be removed if we are to have any lifespan at all without killing eachother.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Luciferdescending

Just curious, what is it that you think the topic at hand is?

The topic at hand, in my view, is the driver's right to refuse to drive the bus. Simple. He has the right to stop working any time he wants, for any reason. Anything else is slavery.

His company also has the right to fire him or to try and find a compromise (which is apparently the outcome). I have stated that several times before.

The ONLY thing remotely religious about this discussion is that some people see the driver;s decision as 'stupid' only because the advertisement was atheistic in nature, and those same people see the driver as somehow being a threat to society because he strongly disagreed with it. It wouldn't matter if he was so staunch a Republican that he refused to drive because Obama had an ad on the bus. The right to refuse to accept something an employer demands is inherent to a free society!

In this case, I would probably agree with his actions on a personal level, since we share a belief system. In the example above I would personally disagree with him. But in either case, I have no right to judge him for making a decision based on his conscience.

Any more than I have a right to tell you what job I want you to do, whether you want to do it or not.

TheRedneck

[edit on 19-1-2009 by TheRedneck]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I really wonder what goes on through some heads on this forum.

Why is there SO MUCH ANTI-RELIGION?

Religion (Lets say Catholic/Christianity) has helped many people. Who are you to judge these people just because they want to believe in something?

No one ever said religion does not have its flaws. It does. It also has its abusers. No sense in grouping them together.

I forgot who said it before on ATS (Was it Dave Rabbit?) but someone mentioned that it is a security blanket. I do not care how someone wants to protect their minds but as long as it does not infringe on my own rights as a person I am okay with whatever they choose to do.

Many criminals today (not many but some) find the teachings of the bible and it changes their world. Religion can teach a very good morale life to those who follow in it TRUTHFULLY, and in my opinion it seems like those people who have received these teachings in return pay their thanks by going to church / worshiping god.

To the bus driver - grow up. Either quit your job or ignore it. Your rights are to believe in your own religion and freedom of expression. This bus neither forces you to change your thoughts or does it get rid of your freedom to talk.

Notice what I did? I commented to the bus driver rather than stereotyping the whole religion of one ignorant fellow.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
If the driver had been a Muslim and the slogan on the bus had stated something negative and/or offensive towards Muslims, the driver wouldn't be frowned upon for taking a stand the way he did... but rather, he'd be glorified and put on a level somewhere in the realm of Rosa Parks. Because he'd be defending his beliefs and standing up for his rights, and thousands of people would rush to support his courage for doing so.

It seems to me that to baby and suck up to those with a NON-Christian religion is just simply the trendy, cool, politically correct thing to do in this modern age of ignorance. But wow, if a Christian person dares have the audacity to have very strong convictions, beliefs and sensitivities in support of their religion... then well, they're just an insignificant idiot that needs to get a clue. Right?

There are those among us that will forever continue to bash Christians under the guise of defending alternate viewpoints... but behind the politically correct approach of open mindedness, usually exists a very bigoted and closed mind towards any who would acknowledge or defend their Christian views.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by machinegun_go_go

So you believe that Christians literally get away with murder. Please back up your statement where just one Christian in America today has been not indicted or has been exonerated for murder due to their Christian faith. If you can't please admit you're an anti-Christian bigot.

Next you'll say that unless Christians renounce their faith they should be fired from government jobs for separation of church and state or that Christian schools and churches should be forced to hire non-Christians or others who violate their moral beliefs.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Anything to do with religion should not be advertised in public ever. All it does is create tension and annoyance all of the time. I don't care if the people who thought of the idea of advertising atheism thought it was funny, it's not. I'm not religious at all, but it's still irritating.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by FritosBBQTwist
I really wonder what goes on through some heads on this forum.

Why is there SO MUCH ANTI-RELIGION?

There is nothing wrong with religion, until it is turned into a fairy tale of superstitions and fears promoted by the ignorant masses using their natural primitive minds to project their own feelings of inadequacy and insecurity on others.

A human being who refuses to drive a bus because of a slogan which is allowed under the free speech and legalities of the country they swear allegiance to is a cancer to that society.

Does he have a right not to? Sure.

Do I respect him for it... not a bit.

Why though? Because he was "horrified" by a sign. A sign that said simply, Don't worry about fairy tales that probably aren't true.. enjoy your life. A sign which was meant to bring a relief to those who suffer under the self-loathing nature of most of today's religion.

I bet this same guy isn't horrified by what's happening in Gaza. Nor is he horrified by the mass slaughterhouses that dot the countryside he lives in.

Yes... Religion today is nothing more than starting wars over crap that just doesn't matter while they find ways to justify ignoring the suffering of other humans.

If Religion wants to re-invent itself, then it needs to take a RADICAL approach to life...

NOTHING IN THIS WORLD MATTERS AT ALL, BUT REDUCING HUMAN SUFFERING.

Signs don't matter
Politics don't matter
Whether God likes me or not doesn't matter
Being gay doesn't matter
Using Drugs doesn't matter

What matters is bringing hope to the hopeless
What matters is bringing food to the hungry
What matters is bringing solace to the Prisoner
What matters is bringing strength to the weak.
What matters is bringing peace to the war-torn.

Self-righteous feelings about a sign are simply not worth two pence.

And that is why you get Anti-Religious rhetoric on this site. Because Religion doesn't do any of those great things today that you so eloquently enumerated from history.

As for Religion today? The Inmates are running the asylum.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Nice intelligent post, i don't necessarily always agree with your posts but i can't disagree with this one.

No doubt someone will respond with some biblical scripture or another at this point, which is normally the case faced with reason.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by doneddward

It's not this guy... it's the whole of the religious masses.

Think about the Muslims who got irate over cartoon pictures of Mohammed.

It's the same narrow minded, primitive thinking which is ultimately a cancer to humans and which must be removed if we are to have any lifespan at all without killing eachother.

I hate to tell you to do this, but there is a South Park episode that sums up almost exactly what would happen if religion was gone forever...in the end we would still have wars, because religion is just an excuse to have war, it's not the cause; and were religion gone, we'd just find another reason to fight and society would be just as polar as it is now. Indians had wars that weren't over religion, Africans have wars over things that aren't religious, the U.S. has had wars without religion. The current Israeli war is not because of religion, it's because of land...

I find it so laughable and incompetent that people actually think that erasing religion would have a positive net effect on humans. There is 0 proof of it, and as for the sign, the man refused to drive the bus because it's offensive to him, that's respectable. Let's turn the tables, if the bus said "Go to Church or die" or "The government is no threat to your rights...enjoy your life"...and someone refused to drive the bus, it would be absolutely the exactly same, it would be respectable. I hardly consider myself religious, but seriously, some of you need to read up on cognitive bias, because it's so blatantly obvious when it comes to beliefs you don't agree with.

The more polar you are against someone or a belief, the most you start to sound like them or it.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by yellowcard]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Why does it matter if this man is a Christian. I mean; what if it stated he was a Muslim or a Jew. Or perhaps maybe someone like my self who doesn't declare to be aligned to any mainstream organized religion yet has a compelling belief of spirituality where one can say there IS a God. Owning a belief and fearing the consequences of going against those beliefs, consequences that are much more unacceptable such as being denied the one event that those who believe in God wish to one day occur. That is meeting and being in the presence of God. I shouldn't be asked to forfeit such an experience for the sake of a days wages. Should I? Could there have been more TACT displayed by the parties involved? Probably. Could the bus company be more accommodating? Probably. Do they have to be? No. Do I have to agree with what the company chooses do? No. Does it have to be accepted? Yes. However this is a religious difference being expressed here and when it comes down to it people just can't seem to practice what they preach. People are hypocritical and bigoted. People have a tendency to immediately react how their emotions tell them to, they do not stop, take a moment and see the issues with tolerance. Do not forget people we all have the freedom of choice. If the consequences don't agree with you then you have the CHOICE to do something about it or the CHOICE not to. I choose to believe in God. I choose not to be pigeonholed by a name that labels what "flavor" of God I believe in. I would not choose to sell my meeting with God by driving a bus with "There is no god" written on it. I would not want to be responsible for being the one who changes the onlookers opinion to such drivel. However, not being the owner of the bus co. I cant dictate what is advertised on the buses. I would probably find another co. to work for even if I did not have to drive the bus, which if this particular driver had any real conviction would do. So it leads to believe that he just didn't want to do his job , he just did not want to work that day. I think he is accused of being lazy when it comes right down to it. I think he seen an "out" and opted out! If this guys religious convictions are such that he can't drive this bus yet he can work for a co. that puts this on their buses then he is willing to bend his religious convictions. Get to steppin' dude, you've got a bus to drive! SORRY FOR RAMBLIN' ON. I'M NO ONE AND AT THE END OF THE DAY THIS MEANS SCHITE. SO PLEASE NO HATE RESPONSES. PEACE!

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jon1

Your site name says it all.
It is obvious by the ignorance in your posts that you are just out to push your personal agenda and you know absoloutely nothing about being a Christian or what it stands for.
Like others on this thread you choose to ignore the real reason that this man refused to drive the bus.
You are so full of hate my friend that i do honestly feel sorry for you.

Are you a Christian? Is this what Christians do? Judge me as someone full of hate and ignorance because of my name? I thought your book specifically stated that it was not your place to judge anyone about anything. I am willing to bet I know more about what it takes to be a Christian than you have even started to learn. Do not call me ignorant and hateful because I am an American who lives in America where we have no state based religion and jobs are hard to come by. If this man has no problem just walking away from his job, more power to him. No one should do a job they feel is morally reprehensible. Unfortunately, no one should get paid to refuse to do their job because the words on the outside of the bus have changed.
His job is to drive the bus assigned him. It is someone else's job to decide if these anti-religious statements are a problem. He can quit or drive the bus. Those are his choices.

As for you....if judging peoples peronality and knowledge base by the name they pick for a UFO website is what your Christianity is all about, then you see why I do not jump to embrace that crap.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

"To those of us that see religion as the cause of..."

Religion is not the 'cause of' - it is an 'Excuse to...'

I know this site is about UFOs, Bigfoot, and the like but that does not mean that fantasy is how you should argue. Would you really like a list of all the things that religion is the cause of aside from flocks of people offering up their hard earned money and innocent children to each be perverted by the man with the in with god? Every thread on here about religion has a list of the crap religion is the cause of, manifest destiny, slavery, crusades, with trials, and on and on and on. How many Catholic priests in your hometown have been caught diddling little boys in the last 15 years? 17 here and I live in a pretty small community.

Yes, religion is awesome and for people like you, it is not the cause of anything bad ever. It is just a coinky dink that things like war and terrorism in the name of some god happen together right? Wake up.

If you are still having trouble understanding how religion is the cause of and not the excuse for, please reply with something stupid and I will be happy to help, again.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by Luciferdescending]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman

All he had to do was prove his case that the jesusgod was real and ask the jesusgod to remove the ad.
Clearly no god is offended by the ad as no god removed the ad, thus confirming that the ad is in all probability correct in its' assertion that god is in all probability not real.
This it seems would warrant the driver to change his name by deedpole to something like Richard Cranium, as god refused to defend him or god id not real and he is deluded.

Poor old redneck just doesn't get it, the days of bible thumpers dictating how we are supposed to think are over, thank god.

I think this says it all so perfectly.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I'm not biased

I hate christians and muslims equally

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Another Christan trying to convert everyone/everything.
You don't see anyone else getting into big hissyfits over religious beliefs'. Why can't Christan's accept this?

And, the man obviously trying to stick up for his religon: wasn't to bright.
Either A) You get a different bus, (while someone else with a common sense to close their mouth advertises the slogan anywho.) or B)You get fired, slogan still goes around.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Forget for a minute that this was about religion what if the bus had said kill whitey or something does the busdriver have the right to refuse driving the bus because hes white and it offends him

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
Its not a viewpoint if the person contradicts themselves regarding other religions.
What about a Christian man refusing to drive a bus with an advert for a Mosque on it?
What about a Buddhist refusing to drive a bus with an advert for a Church on it?
What about an atheist refusing to drive a bus with God written on it?
Either you feel :
a) They are all wrong to refuse to do their duty
or
b) They are all able to freely express their wishes and refuse to drive the bus
Simple as that in my mind.

Having ridden London buses on occasion, I can't remember now what was written on the side of a single one - except for movie ads (it was summer 1994 and True Lies had just come out in Britain).

That being said, my answer would be - "Follow your conscience, but expect to be fired - or at least made assistant tea lady."

Anyone else here watch South Park? They had some fun with Richard Dawkins... see en.wikipedia.org... for the details.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

I find that so many of our younger people have elevated the state and the controlled 'political correctness' over and above the rights and powers of the individual. This is a communist mindset.

I thought it was a free market capitalist society? The bus company wants to make money buy selling ad space on their busses. They hire people to drive those buses. Here in America, if you do not like the way that company runs, however perfectly moral and legal it is, you can be unemployed or get a job elsewhere. The bus company can practice however it chooses within the laws of this country and they are. This man is being a whiny punk who wants to keep a job he is unwilling to do because he feels his sensibilities are offended. Does getting on that bus negate the god he chooses to worship? Does driving that bus around damage his faith? Or is he too worried about the message that is being sent to people at a speeding blur? Or is he worried that more people are receptive to statements like that on the bus than they are anyone coming up to tell them about Jesus?

Do something for me. Go outside in this great Christian country of ours and start telling strangers about God. You will learn real quickly that the only Christian thing going on here is the idea of Jesus as an excuse to not have to earn your check.

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join