It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man refuses to drive 'No God' bus

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Hahaha, oh wow. The news story makes it sound like everything turned out decently, so there really isn't much of a story, but it's still kind of funny.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by -0mega-

"Regardless of what the bus would be advertising I would probably drive it. "

What would it have to say in order for you not to drive it.

Please give us a few examples so we know what it would take for you to stand up for your principles. I know it is different for everyone, but give us a few that would cause you to do the same as this man did.

(Thanks in advance.)

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
What would it have to say in order for you not to drive it.

Please give us a few examples so we know what it would take for you to stand up for your principles. I know it is different for everyone, but give us a few that would cause you to do the same as this man did.

(Thanks in advance.)

Regardless of what it would be advertising I would probably drive it, so there is not one single advert that would make me do the same thing that man did.

The "probably" thing in my sentence is just a technicality of mine, as you can never be truly sure until you're actually a bus driver about to drive a bus.

I'll put it like this:
My job would be to drive a bus to bring people from location A to location B. As such, I don't care what the bus says, because my duty is to bring people from location A to location B, not to promote advertisements.

For all I care it could indeed have swastika's, or "power to the pedo" adverts. If I feel I might have to protect myself from people that might become aggressive because of the adverts, I'll just place a disclaimer that I don't agree with the adverts. However I won't let my personal views on some advert get in the way of my purpose to transport people.

Edited: "accept the adverts" changed to "agree with the adverts"

[edit on 18/1/09 by -0mega-]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by -0mega-

"For all I care it could indeed have swastika's, or "power to the pedo" adverts."

That is pretty low...

I won't be bothering to reply to you anymore now that you have shown your true colors.

What does one say to someone who has no problem with "power to the pedo adverts".... Truly shameful.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   

That is pretty low...

I won't be bothering to reply to you anymore now that you have shown your true colors.

What does one say to someone who has no problem with "power to the pedo adverts".... Truly shameful.

Apparently you haven't properly read my post? Nowhere do I state that I have no problem with such adverts, however I will (as stated in my post) not let my personal views get in the way of my purpose, unless I am directly linked to the advert, or if my purpose is to promote the advert (which is not the case here)

The purpose of an advert is to let a certain (rich?) individual, or a certain company / group expose people to their views, or services.

Everyone is entitled to their own views, and as this society is one of money, everyone is allowed to pay some cash to expose their view, service to as many people as possible.

What you do with an advert is up to you, I am merely driving a bus to bring people to their destination.

Let me tell you this, there was an actual pedophile political group in my country, in The Netherlands. Now judging on your reaction to what I said you would probably be outraged.

Want to know what many of us in the netherlands did? We laughed, and didn't vote for them anyway.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by -0mega-

"Nowhere do I state that I have no problem with such adverts"

Now you are lying outright.

*After I asked you this question - 'What would it have to say in order for you not to drive it. ' You replied with this:

"For all I care it could indeed have swastika's, or "power to the pedo" adverts."

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Now you are lying outright.

*After I asked you this question - 'What would it have to say in order for you not to drive it. ' You replied with this:

I'll quote myself now

Originally posted by -0mega-
If I feel I might have to protect myself from people that might become aggressive because of the adverts, I'll just place a disclaimer that I don't agree with the adverts. However I won't let my personal views on some advert get in the way of my purpose to transport people.

Now listen carefully:
There is a difference between having no problem with an advert, and not agreeing with an advert.
And a difference between not agreeing and actively opposing.

Just because I don't care whatever's being put on my bus doesn't mean that I agree or don't care about it. (it being the advert itself).

You mentioned me showing my ''true colors''. What are these colors according to you then anyway? Because I am truly getting the feeling that you are acting slightly ignorant solely because I did not respond with "SHOOT THE BASTARDS" after posing the example of pedo-adverts on a bus.

Edit: added an extra ''difference comparison'' and explanation about what ''it'' refers to.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I would be willing to bet God will take care of this guy for what he did.
If society is at the point where we are to be a part of anti God (Christ) then it's time to remove ourselves from that situation.
Everyone has an opinion, that's mine. There's those that go up & those that don't. Get a grip, it's on it's way, you decide, I have. So has he.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by machinegun_go_go

how is it outrageous.

bet a muslim would get his own way, why not someone holding up traditional british values

we should applaud this man

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Please give us a few examples so we know what it would take for you to stand up for your principles. I know it is different for everyone, but give us a few that would cause you to do the same as this man did

Dude I wouldn't drive a bus with an add that said "Your driver today is a tosser" but there again if they were paying me enough money - - - -,

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Sorry guys, but I'm not reading 10+ pages of posts, there are quite a lot.

Anyway, I've read over a few on the first and second pages, and the general census is that the guy is wrong and shouldn't be allowed to just walk out. If it was me personally, it wouldn't bother me at all I'd get on with it.

However, I totally agree with the guy and I'll explain why. A few years ago when I was back in school, there was a child who came into school with their face fully covered. The headteacher wasn't happy about this because his argument was that if this child was skipping lessons or misbehaving, they can't be identified. Anyway, all hell broke loose over it and they ended up being able to keep the scarf.

This incident didn't see the girl having to walk around advertising her God doesn't exist, but she ultimately won.

In Coronation street (A British Soap), the directors were told they had to remove the cross from a church wedding in case it offended non-christians.
People have been told they have to remove things like a cross on a necklace in their workplace.

This doesn't look like favouritism for christians to me. I'm pretty agnostic when it comes to religion, but i'm christened Catholic but don't practice.

Before starting to say a certain group is being shown favouritism or prejudice, look at both sides of the story.

Good on the guy, he's standing up for what he believes in which doesn't happen in day and age anymore.. maybe we could all take a tip from this?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Yes, I completely agree. In this great country with jobs falling over themselves to come to each and every one of us, it only makes sense that we get to pick and chose which tasks we will follow through with as the mood strikes us. I work in advertising and am a Satanist. I guess I can refuse to work on all the ads from Christian churches now too, right? My company cannot fire me because I have a good reason, right? I cannot believe anyone who has had to find a job to support a home and family would agree with this kind of nonsense. If you do not want to do the job you are given, you quit, not tell them you just will not do it so they must reassign you.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Now can we PLEASE get off the religious thing and back on topic? You can think about something besides religion, right? You do have enough neurons to contemplate things besides the existence of God, correct?

Hey big boy, did you miss the bit ab out the xtian man man refusing to drive the "no god " bus ?

Should we use our neurons to to dismiss the religious aspect of this thread and go on to something else?

Grow up, this is yet another example (even if only an attempt at headline grabbing) of a deluded xtian trying to claim the authority of an imaginary god.

He had every right to choose not to drive the bus but his employers also had every right to get someone that would. The real shame is that they were probably too afraid of the religious backlash to act, which in the bigger scheme of things will only make matters more complicated.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
The ad clearly states that there "Probably" isnt a god. Probably being the key word, keeping it open for there could be a god. This man can neither prove or disprove the existence of god, so the statement holds true. We can even put "faith" into the equation. If he really beliefs that there is a god then an advert would not offend him, its not going to alter his beliefs.

On a side note, the banner is not insulting solely christians, its the existence of God, be it Christian, Hindu, Muslim or whatever. Alot of Christians need to get of their high horse and stop acting like a spoilt child who feels like they are being picked on.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I could think of 100 things to walk off my job daily but, to do so would be foolish of me. He is free to not drive this bus but, he should not expect his job to be there when he returns.

It is just like my dad being Christian and the church expected him not to work on Sundays but, his employer didn't see eye to eye on this and he did work every other Sunday till he retired. He was free to quit but, if he were to lose the job his only help from the church would be the "God will provide" phrase.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by GamerGal
... I don't do bad things because they are bad things. ...

Bad things according to whom?

You see, you cannot say they are "bad things", because you have no basis to judge them bad. You can merely say there are "illegal" or "un-customary", NOT "bad".

*sigh* Do they even teach basic logic in schools anymore?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

OK, go right ahead and rant about the religion. If you'll remember, we've locked horns on that issue before. If memory serves, you believe that it is a far more terrible thing to pray for a few moments silently than to fly planes into towers.

In simpler terms, since you apparently cannot think about anything except religion...

I'm not going to waste my time on you, because to be honest, you have no ideas worth considering.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
OK, go right ahead and rant about the religion. If you'll remember, we've locked horns on that issue before. If memory serves, you believe that it is a far more terrible thing to pray for a few moments silently than to fly planes into towers.

In simpler terms, since you apparently cannot think about anything except religion...

I'm not going to waste my time on you, because to be honest, you have no ideas worth considering.

TheRedneck

Psssssssssssssssssssssssst. Redneck, come over here for a second. I do not want to embarrass you in front of everyone else but this particular thread is specifically about a religious topic. If you were hoping to avoid a religious discussion, you should try reading the titles and OPs of the threads you invade.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
I didn't think so. Now can we PLEASE get off the religious thing and back on topic?

Just curious, what is it that you think the topic at hand is?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
This is such a big non-deal it's surprising that people are getting so worked up.
Who cares if someone stood up for their beliefs if it didn't hurt anyone.

One of the main problems in society today is the fact that everyone feels they need to stick their noses into other peoples business and try to make everyone else live according to their own ideals.

Everyone needs to sit back, and ask themselves "How does this affect me personally?"

If it doesn't have any bearing on your life, then let it go. Too many people arguing just for the sake of arguing.

PS There are some real atrocities happening all over the world, yet people focus on these small, useless events instead of doing anything productive. No wonder society is falling apart.

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join