It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man refuses to drive 'No God' bus

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
In the real world, you can't pick and choose who you work with or what you do when you get a job. It's something you learn in middle school. He's being paid by this company to drive their bus, not his bus. They can put whatever advertisements on the side they like. It's his job to drive the bus, not to criticize it, and if he doesn't like it then he can find a new job. The company shouldn't have to work around his personal beleifs in the first place, he's the one that signed up for the job.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Tanjo

"In the real world, you can't pick and choose who you work with or what you do when you get a job."

This did happen in the 'real world' - the one where even people like You have Rights and Freedoms and can seek legal recourse should anyone punish you for affirming these basic rights and freedoms.

"you can't pick and choose who you work with or what you do when you get a job."

I recommend you Read the US Constitution and Bill of rights - Even if you aren't American. You are turning pink.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by RogerT
Whether or not this is a positive message is subjective isn't it? Or are you suggesting that the questioning of a belief structure is intrinsically negative?

Personally, I find the message on the ad to be quite positive and somewhat uplifting.

I would place this message in the same category as if the bus company had placed "Homosexuality is probably a mental disorder" on the side of the bus.

And we all know that there is no way that would be tolerated.

Tell me I'm wrong.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SumnerKagan

You

Are

Wrong...

Sorry, but I felt I had to say that.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by machinegun_go_go]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
i'll only say this once more st that it might sink in the full weight of what it means.
if you disagree with abortion, but work somewhere where the plan b drug is sold, i bet that irks you; it does not make you feel as though you are denying your maker.
if you are against gay rights, but work on the setof a famous tv show that promotes a gay relationship, i bet that burns your ass, but it doesn't make you feel like you may go to hell.
if you are (like myself) basicly opposed to the idea of any religion, carrying money around that says "in god we trust" and being asked to say things like "so help me god" in court, that is bound to offend you. being offended is not what we are talking about people, get that through your thick skulls. I am not a christian, but i defend this man. HE BELIEVES in his religion, he has that right, it is what our country was founded on, like it or not, that's why it's on the money. He has read in a book that he believes with all his heart was inspired by the true word of god, his maker, and in this book that he gives his life to it tells him (as he interprets it) that he must not by any means at all, deny his god here on earth, the consequences of which would be to be denied in heaven. you've got to understand that what is an inconvenience or an annoyance to us is something entirely different to this man. NO way in hell that he should be forced to drive a bus that puts his mortal soul in danger. It would not be compareable to say as one reader did, "well he should be fired, it would be like me, a non smoker. refusing to drive a bus with a cigarette add on the side". Use common sense please, that is in no way comparable to the world of though going on in this mans head. he is being asked to drive around a giant banner that has the sole purpose of trying to convince people that his god does not exist. What if he drove the bus, but asked those boarding, "what if there IS a god?" would he be fired? you bet.
just be tolerant of his beliefs, we have no right to push him towards the agenda on that bus, yes he can just quit, some of you say that in such a casual manner that i wonder if you have ever had to work, and if you do, then the job was probably given to you. Would i drive a bus hat said "merry christmas"? yes, that is just some religious bullcrap to me. It doesn't make me fear for my soul. it's different for this guy. and thank you to all the U2U's i got about my take on this from christians, muslums, and athiests alike that saw reason and agreed that it is not just cut and dry when it comes to one's religion. I think religion is dangerous, i don't like it. But it's there and i deal with it as inconvenient and bothersome. This man thinks he could burn in an eternal lake of fire for driving that bus. were he strong enough in his belief he would know that he personally is not representing that slogan, but obviously he is not, and we should allow for that. enough with the hateful rhetoric, this is not as simple as "do your job you lazy christian" not matter how you look at it.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enigma Publius
HE BELIEVES in his religion, he has that right, it is what our country was founded on, like it or not, that's why it's on the money.

Sigh ... this event took place in London, not the US, please pay attention posters.

For the rest .. Are you serious??

Do christians really believe they will burn in an eternal lake of fire if they drive a bus with a slogan that questions god's existence?

Please bear in mind, this man is not being asked to recite the ad, nor did he create it, or take any part whatsoever in its journey to the side of this public bus (read not HIS bus).

He is simply expected to drive it.

He is not asked to approve, judge, applaud, condone or agree with the ad. The ad is no more than another passenger on the bus.

I agree, that respecting beliefs of others is something we can practice in order to create a little more harmony with those around us, but where is the line. When a mistaken belief begins to create its own disharmony, do we pander to it or call it for what it is.

I cannot see how a believer in an omnipotent and omnipresent god can be offended by this.

god is the creator of all things, thus, god created the ad,

in fact,

god is all things, so god is the ad!

So I guess the driver is denying god by denying the ad!

ergo, he burns in a lake of fire for eternity by refusing to drive the bus. poor soul

See? Mistaken belief.

ciao.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by RogerT

HE BELIEVES in his religion, he has that right, it is what our country was founded on, like it or not, that's why it's on the money.

Sigh ... this event took place in London, not the US, please pay attention posters.

For the rest .. Are you serious??

Do christians really believe they will burn in an eternal lake of fire if they drive a bus with a slogan that questions god's existence?

Please bear in mind, this man is not being asked to recite the ad, nor did he create it, or take any part whatsoever in its journey to the side of this public bus (read not HIS bus).

He is simply expected to drive it.

He is not asked to approve, judge, applaud, condone or agree with the ad. The ad is no more than another passenger on the bus.

I agree, that respecting beliefs of others is something we can practice in order to create a little more harmony with those around us, but where is the line. When a mistaken belief begins to create its own disharmony, do we pander to it or call it for what it is.

I cannot see how a believer in an omnipotent and omnipresent god can be offended by this.

god is the creator of all things, thus, god created the ad,

in fact,

god is all things, so god is the ad!

So I guess the driver is denying god by denying the ad!

ergo, he burns in a lake of fire for eternity by refusing to drive the bus. poor soul

See? Mistaken belief.

ciao.

my mistake on the event happening in England, but as for the rest, i am totally serious. Like i said, i am not religious, i think religion is very dangerous to the human mind. And i also said that one strong in their belifs should know better anyway, but that is a matter of character. Maybe he isn't very bright, maybe he doesn't know that he will not be held accountable for driving around a giant banner proclaiming there may be no God. have some pity on the man, it is totally different than someone just being offended. he thinks his soul is at risk, where as an athiest has no soul to speak of, so driving a merry christmas bus is just an annoyance.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

he thinks his soul is at risk,

How are you so sure of this?

How do you personally know so much about this man's thoughts?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by RogerT

Where did this guy say it would jeopardize his immortal soul if he drives the bus?
Where did ANY Christian say that?
It's about PRINCIPLES.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

so driving a merry christmas bus is just an annoyance.

What kind of insanity would cause someone to get annoyed at driving a bus with an ad that wished pleasant emotions to people on and around the 25th december

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
reply to post by RogerT

Where did this guy say it would jeopardize his immortal soul if he drives the bus?

Exactly my point, thanks for repeating it.

So you also agree that this is not some melodramatic 'survival of my eternal soul' thing.

It's about principles

So it's just like everything else, all about petty little egos strutting their stuff.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

This man can have all the principles he likes. Let him believe whatever he wants. The point is that the company shouldn't have to tiptoe around this man just because of his beliefs. If he's got a problem he can find work somewhere else.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
This is THE atheist bus!
Not just a little bus that someone put a small ad on.
It's been ALL over the news! The Atheist Bus!

Surely when someone sees the bus and the driver, they think he must condone it, at least.
He can be transferred and someone else can drive it, who doesn't care!
He's not 'strutting around' showing his principles!
Who knows WHY this is news.
The whole thing reeks of propaganda, even The Bus!

[edit on 23-1-2009 by Clearskies]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Hey, if it's about principles as you say, then it's about egos. Ask yours, it'll tell you if listen carefully enough

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Surely when someone sees the bus and the driver, they think he must condone it, at least. He can be transferred and someone else can drive it, who doesn't care! He's not 'strutting around' showing his principles! Who knows WHY this is news. The whole thing reeks of propaganda, even The Bus!

Only an ignoramus would believe a driver of a bus must condone the ads on the bus. We've got literally hundreds of eastern European bus drivers over here , hell half of them couldn't give a crap if the ad said kil the driver as long as the money is right.

Yes it is all propaganda, atheist propaganda telling extians quite clearly they cannot have it all their own way.
The driver has done more to raise awareness of this story than anyone else, he's made it newsworthy by throwing his toys out of his manger.

The good christian driver couldn't settle for just refusing to drive the bus, oh no he had to get on TV and radio and have is ten minutes of fame.

If the bus reeks of propaganda this month, then last week must have been delightful as it was Galaxy chocolate mmmmm

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
reply to post by Tanjo

"In the real world, you can't pick and choose who you work with or what you do when you get a job."

This did happen in the 'real world' - the one where even people like You have Rights and Freedoms and can seek legal recourse should anyone punish you for affirming these basic rights and freedoms.

"you can't pick and choose who you work with or what you do when you get a job."

I recommend you Read the US Constitution and Bill of rights - Even if you aren't American. You are turning pink.

I sugggest you get out of your parent's house and go get a job in that same U.S. You will quickly learn that your real choice is between asserting those 'rights' and eating food. You will also quickly learn that in this U.S. you do NOT have the right to have any job you want. You have the opportunity to achieve any job you like but not the right to have any job or work under any conditions you want. You will quickly learn that in a town full of companies and stores run by Witches, Satanists, Abortionists, if you want a home and food, you will work for the one willing to pay you.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   

reply to post by RogerT

It's about PRINCIPLES.

i was raised around christians all my life, and yes i am making a statement based on the many of them i have known. they would never, and i mean never, be caught dead (so to speak) driving a banner around proclaiming there is no god. they are taught in church that if they are in a real world enviroment, they must take every opprotunity available to proclaim their faith, lest they be seen as denying God. Sounds silly right? It is. But it is their belief, and you must realize how stressful that would be on the man.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   

This is THE atheist bus!
Not just a little bus that someone put a small ad on.
It's been ALL over the news! The Atheist Bus!

Surely when someone sees the bus and the driver, they think he must condone it, at least.
He can be transferred and someone else can drive it, who doesn't care!
He's not 'strutting around' showing his principles!
Who knows WHY this is news.
The whole thing reeks of propaganda, even The Bus!

[edit on 23-1-2009 by Clearskies]

Around the world, atheists hit road to knock down God

LONDON (AFP) – An atheist drive to persuade people that God doesn't exist is catching on in a surprising fashion -- on the sides of buses in a growing number of countries around the world. With the concise message "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life," the campaign took to the road in Britain this month, while similar drives are underway or planned in Spain, Italy, Canada and Australia. The British campaign was originally floated by comedy writer Ariane Sherine in a newspaper column in June, and is hoping to reach the majority of the country's population in some fashion or another over the next three weeks.

Sherine wrote her column after advertisements began appearing on central London buses directing passers-by to a website that told those who did not accept Christianity that they would suffer for eternity in hell.

yes it finially made the front page of yahoo news. To be fair to every side of the issue, i have included the reason that prompted this slogan, apparently it was kinda egged on by the christians if you ask me. This doesn't change my stance on this one man however. I do think that neither side should be posting this crap on public buses. Let peopl find religion on their own, or lack there of. This whoe campaign by both sides seems to me to be baiting the other.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by Enigma Publius]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Luciferdescending

"I sugggest you get out of your parent's house and go get a job in that same U.S. You will quickly learn that your real choice is between asserting those 'rights' and eating food. You will also quickly learn that in this U.S. you do NOT have the right to have any job you want."

This article was written about an incident that occurred in the UK.

Nice off-topic rant...

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

This article was written about an incident that occurred in the UK.

Nice off-topic rant...

...and the post I was responding to suggested that we re-read the U.S. constitution. Unless the UK is now using the U.S. constitution, my response was spot on.

-ah here it is "I recommend you Read the US Constitution and Bill of rights - Even if you aren't American. You are turning pink. "- Exuberant1.

Care to explain why you would tell us to read this document and then get all over me for talking about the U.S.?

[edit on 24-1-2009 by Luciferdescending]

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join