It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scars of the girl beaten for being English in Scotland.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DantesLost
GamerGal

Uh, its white people beating up white people. That's not racism. English and Scottish are not races they are nationalities. Just wanted too correct that.

A common mistake.
Racism isn't just about skin colour.
It also includes race,descent,national or ethnic origin.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by DantesLost]

I have to disagree with you on that, what you are describing is a bigotry & not racism. Would you class anti muslim rhetoric as racism?

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
There was a UN survey performed a year or so back which showed that Scotland was the most violent first world nation. You are 3 times more likley to be the victim of a violent assault there than in the US (the usual benchmark).

Combine that with the rise in Scottish nationalism (thanks Braveheart and Sean Connery) plus the almost endemic hatred of the English and you've got a problem.

This quote from the Grampian police in the linked news story was the most telling comment:

"Grampian Police, who have been unable to locate CCTV footage of the attack, said such incidents were not uncommon."

Scotland is a wonderful country, filled with not so wonderful people.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
in regard to the OP, it's always been my experience that a thug with a few drinks in him decides to punch a particular person and then decides why they are going to punch that person.

i don't really like english people very much, i must admit. probably, all the prejudice i hear has rubbed off on me, fair enough, but that doesn't change the fact that most of them don't seem to be able to hold their drink, their tongue or their prejudice in check. ( remind me of me perhaps
)

although i must say, that makes me inclined to avoid english people, not punch them.

[edit on 15/1/09 by pieman]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
As an Englishman living in Scotland for nearly 20 years I have encountered the odd racist jibe but other than that it really isn't a problem at all. It's a very very small minority (usually male, drunk and ignorant). The media love these stories and as usual blow them all out of proportion.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by TheSilentProtagonist

Can I ask why you seem to think that all scots want to be an independant nation?

I am proud to be British, my grandfather was a Japanese POW who had his ship bombed by allies, he survived & was recaptured by the Japs.
People go on about history but seem to forget the fact that a lot of our close family fought in 1 or 2 world wars together as a unified country.

But going back to your question, you do realise that oil revenue accounts for a lot of Britains GDP & if i'm not mistaken most of the oil is offshore Scotland.
So I think if we managed to become independent I think we would be a lot better off than you think.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by mclarenmp4

I was making no assumptions that you would not be sir. Just becuase if scotland became independent dosnt mean it would die on its arse.

Indeed yeah i should have been more specific with that question, i was referring really to the devout indepencence-ists and their reasoning behind it, but no im aware that its hardly a clear cut opinion up there.

Its a risky subject and can quite easily lead things off topic, but as some one said already, is there really that much oil left to profit from? And whats to stop of just being hoarded by the big oil companies, to whom national boundrys matter little...

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TheSilentProtagonist

I can understand why a lot of scots would like independence but it has little to do with the hatred of the English & the fact that the British government has used Scotland as a testing ground for bad policies.
It's only been recently that the Tories have managed to regain a seat in Scotland after Maggie Thatcher decided to test the Poll Tax on us.

With regards to the oil, yes you are correct that the oil companies are the people making the serious money out of it but the government get plenty cash for licensing the fields. Also there is still at least 20-30 years worth of oil still to be discovered in new wells, it's just that it takes a bit more effort to get it out of the ground.
What we are finding is that the Shell's & the BP's have moved on because they need to have a certain amount of barrels per day to stick to their business model, most of. Most of the BP & Shell wells have only taken about 60% of their capacity, with new technology the smaller producers are able to get up to 90% of the wells reserves.

I don't think Scotland would do too badly if we were independent as we have a small populace & a vast amount of natural resources. We are also pioneers in technology so again I think we would actually be better off financially if we separated.
But I don't agree that it's in our best interests to do this, as I said previously I am a proud Brit & a Scotsman, we are stronger as a country unified than not IMO.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Niall197

Please don,t taint all Scots as nationistic bigots because we aren,t the actions of a couple of morons can happen in any culture and people jump on the bandwagon of the media crying for blood who by reporting the incident in an inflamatory way are actually increasing/promoting national tension. I,m a scot married for nearly 30 years to a lovely english woman and i live in England with many friends from all over the uk, ordinary people the length and breadth of this country are sick to death of the mindless morons who think they can hurt and cause carnage just cause they are bigger or stronger, well as my dad always says "son theres always someone out there bigger and eventually they,ll get their comeuppance"

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I'm Irish and any time I've been in England people have been nothing but very kind and helpful towards me. I go up the North however (Northen Ireland) and I'm suddenly a Southerner and I get condescending remarks in shops or the tone in their voice changes.

I don't know how much the English dislike the Irish but I've no experience of that. IF they do hate us it's probably because we got away! Very few did!

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DantesLost

but,lets be honest,people don't care when you're Caucasian.

They may feel it is retribution for the centuries of sorcery torture which was perpetuated by the Caucasian's.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
As for Scots in general being any more racist or intolerant than the English, that I contest. We get plenty of "America bashing" threads here started by our English members.

Not just English members, any non-U.S. members...and even some U.S. members. It appeared the world was unified in their hate against the U.S. given what we see on ATS, but I guess mere perception is not reality.

On my trip to England to visit a friend, I noticed there was an English flag hanging from every window, car and door. I said, "Wow! I had no idea England was so patriotic!" He said, "They're not. It's football. A day after England loses the World Cup, they'll be gone". A few days later, he proved his words to be true. If it isn't flags we'd find a reason to fight, like over sports:

At least 40 South African blacks were killed at a soccer match today 50 miles southwest of here, as police announced the arrest of 10 suspects in a massacre of 35 mourners at a wake Saturday in a nearby township.

Police reported that 40 soccer fans died and more than 50 others were injured after fighting broke out in a soccer stadium in Orkney over a disputed goal. The toll was expected to rise as some of the injured were in serious condition, according to a police spokesman.

Most of the deaths were caused by a stampede at an exit as the crowd rushed to leave the stadium after fighting began between supporters of the two Soweto-based teams.
- www.highbeam.com...

With the invention of the internet, I'm wondering if the global lines will be re-drawn. "Oh? What server are you on?"

[edit on 15-1-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
The thread is seriously out of context, this was just a couple of thugs in a small incident. I have been to Scotland, Wales and Ireland many times and have no problems with me being English. You might get the odd joke but you give one back, the two men who hit this woman were drunken cowards nothing more. That does not mean all Scots hate the English because they don't, there is more of a problem with religion in Scotland and Northern Ireland than there is with the old English vs Scots. Being Cornish myself I share the thought that we should have our identity again and become a country once more, but still be part of the UK.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
i don't really like english people very much, i must admit. probably, all the prejudice i hear has rubbed off on me, fair enough, but that doesn't change the fact that most of them don't seem to be able to hold their drink, their tongue or their prejudice in check. ( remind me of me perhaps
)

Not being able to hold your drink down... now there's a good reason to dislike someone.

I consider myself primarily a man of Albion - that is, the British Isles, and an Englishman secondly. That is to say that I believe the common people in England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales have more in common than in contrast. My family is English and Dutch so genetically, I'm mainly Saxon (though I've been told I look more Irish or Welsh
), but I feel a kinship with all of Britain. Whether the rest of Britain feels a kinship with me is up to them, but I've never looked down upon a Scotsman or an Irishman. We need to unite, particularly with the prospect of our fair Isles being overrun and overpopulated.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Religion is the reason for separation in Ireland? Not sovereignty or territory?

Northern Ireland, Protestant Bible:

"But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you," - Matthew 5:44

Southern Ireland, Catholic Bible:

"But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you," - Matthew 5:44

Geez, with all these Bible-following Protestants and Catholics it's amazing that a single stone gets thrown.

"If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone..." - Jesus Christ

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

i suggest you haven't a clue what you're on about and should sit down and shut up, besides being off topic, you're being inflammatory.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mclarenmp4

Quite possibly you are talking out of your backside.
Aberdonians hardly suffer from a persecution problem, why do you think we would feel that way?

Not sure. Perhaps it's cause their football team get humped by Celtic, or Rangers. Though they do try harder against Rangers...

Also to give you a bit of perspective to the story, Aberdeen is unofficially the european oil capital

Which builds up resentment because the SNP who have a foothold north of Scotland, continually push that the oil is getting stolen by Westminister, hence you see idiots lashing out thanks to ignorant nationalism.

Just because a couple of idiots attacked this poor woman & it's a despicable act, please don't tar the other 250,000 people who reside in Aberdeen with the same brush.

The people who did this would've done it to anyone. It's just a coincedence that she was English. That's all.

Quite possibly you might get treated better if you were from London as there is a general dislike for all things Glaswegian

Not even going to comment on that.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Cythraul

I completely agree with you. I have travelled a lot around the UK working in many different areas & at the end of the day, people in general tend to accept you regardless of your accent. It's just an unfortunate fact that there are idiots out there like the cowards in the OP.

What really gets my shackles up are people in this thread who just dismiss another country & hold their bigotted beliefs based on 1 story. That to me is just ignorance personified.
But we see it all the time on this site whether your muslim, israeli, scottish or american, ignorance & bigotry run amok here.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
just the thing for the English first they took-over scotland then they forcefully transported a large portion of the highland scottish population to there colonies in Australia and North America. and now the wonder why the highland Scots that are left don't like them

en.wikipedia.org...
www.electricscotland.com...

yeah and that poor 22 year old english lady was a part of that right? no i didnt think so what an utterly stupid generalization of english people, and scottisjh people hate england so much they seem to spend a lot of time in our country when on holiday for example..

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Hi.

At my place of work,there is a high percentage of eastern European labour,and i can honestly say that i have never seen rascism rear it's ugly head,infact,we all get on pretty well.

We even teach one another our own country's swearing words!

I have always considered myself and my fellow countrymen,to be among the most tolerant and welcoming people on the planet,i mean one can only feel sympathy for some of the guys that i work with,who have left there homeland to come and work in freezing cold bloody Scotland!

How bad must things be in their own country?

Finally a word about some of the highly negative posts that i have read in this thread.
It seems to me that some of the posters of inflammatory comments (on both sides),share the same mentallity as the violent thug,about whom,this thread was created.
The only difference is that instead of lashing out with your fists,you lash out with your tongues instead!

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

i suggest you haven't a clue what you're on about

Feel free to educate, I don't understand how religion plays a part in it. After all, we're here to deny ignorance.

and should sit down and shut up,

Is that what ATS is about? Really?

besides being off topic, you're being inflammatory.

We're talking about drawing lines in the dirt in U.K. I had no idea that the northwestern boarder of the United Kingdom had nothing to do with the northern boarder. Regarding inflammation, apologies to anyone whom I've made upset with my mere questioning of the situation.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join