It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scars of the girl beaten for being English in Scotland.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

I disagree with all that you say. And that's it. Let's just have no more interaction, because I think you are talking out of an illogical hole.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
im from scotland and this story makes me sick 2 my stomach... not all scots hate the english. We all need to get along to be as one

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
i have heard about this type of bigotry in alot of countries...here across the pond in america it's the south. i am a white anglo and my wife is pure japanese and we have been married for 26 years. we went to our southern states and i got some pretty nasty looks and a few rude comments. alabama, georgia, and mississippi are the worst. in spain it's the basques that are looked down upon, in italy it's the sicilians and the people from southern italy. in india it's the smaller, darker, people from the east of the country that are looked-down upon, the western, taller, lighter-skinned punjabi is the ruling class. in russia it's the people with mongolian backrounds to the eastern side and the darker-skinned middle eastern russians in the southern part.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by jimmyx]

[edit on 15-1-2009 by jimmyx]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
why is it anyway?

Perhaps because English are so d*rn nationalistic and consider themselves, generally speaking, superior to others. It aint good it it aint English.

Not saying all English think like that, but many do. Not to forget about the historical background of Scotland-England relations. Scots are proud people.

Edit: I am not trying to advocate this racism though...

[edit on 15-1-2009 by Mdv2]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
Perhaps because English are so d*rn nationalistic and consider themselves, generally speaking, superior to others. It aint good it it aint English.

Not saying all English think like that, but many do. Not to forget about the historical background of Scotland-England relations. Scots are proud people.

Edit: I am not trying to advocate this racism though...

I don't see this in England tbh, most of the people i meet tend to be rather ashamed of our country. I hate nationalists anyway as it never brings out anything good no matter which country it comes from. Pride is one thing, blind belief your country is great is another and it leads to the sort of incident that the OP linked.

I hope the girl recovers quickly and without lasting damage.

However i don't think it's right to say many English think this way.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
It always amazes me how easy it is to get humans to hate each other. A flag, a skin color, a religion seems to be more then enough to inspire deep hated.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
In a slightly more sane mood, I have a major problem with the attitude of SNP. There were two cars parked in Glasgow, next to each other, one painted in the Scottish flag, t'other in the English Flag. The English flag one got trashed and Alex Salmond refused to condemn the act. In a way, he is encouraging violence. If it has gotten to the point that Scots need to express their identity through violence to England, the English flag etc, then they really ought to go.

Whenever Muslims perpetrate a terrorist act, then the peaceful Muslims speak out and say it is not them, but not before. I know some Muslims do work incognito with our police, but too many stay silent. On a lesser level, I believe this true of the Scots. Of course the Scots are not using bombs.

For the forces of evil to win, all the forces of good need to do is stand still.

For extremist nationalist Scots to win, the good Scots just need to stand still, and there are feelings south of the border that too many do not make themselves heard. It makes for exciting football and rugby games but ought to end there. I don't want our women being assaulted by people from a country that claims to be our ally. And if that is how the Scots feel, then they should be honest about it and just go.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
noticed this was in Aberdeen.

for some reason, they feel more "Scottish" then the lowlanders. Probably because they have persecution complexes the size of my fist.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by DantesLost

When you steal someones country, Drive tanks through there stadiums, stuff like this happens

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I give up on this thread - it's turned into the same nationalist ravings that caused that poor girl to get hurt.

It's not solving anything, enlightening anyone - it's just crap. And it makes my scottish heart heavy.

I will leave you with a breakdown of the scottish stereotype from youtube. I found it amusing.

Signing off this thread for the last time. It's a far, far better thing I do now...

Cheery!

If I have screwed it up, it's called "Cuz, I'm Scottish". Look it up yourself. Wont be back to fix it.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by redled

Yes, and in England we don't beat women for being....... women. It is known that Scots beat their women and so it is acceptable. Scots hate the English, because we persecute them by giving them more settlement in government cash than any other part of our region, but an English flag on a pretty face deserves a Glasgow kiss.

I hate both Rangers and Celtic, but would not dare say so above the border.

Women beaters, mars bars and deep fried hate. Leave them to their filth.

You see thats exactly why SOME not all scots hate the english, most of us don't hold a grudge about the wars, rape of our resources or being a test subject for new laws/taxes, its the attitude some of them have, that they are superior in some way.

oh if were gonna go for stereotype then we'll leave you too your football hooligans and spotted dick

gutted my first post is to respond to that but i absolutely cannot stand stuff like that.
[edit on 15/1/09 by Priority Project]

[edit on 15/1/09 by Priority Project]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Priority Project

I was quite clearly in rant mode. I'm proud of that one actually..... slightly more sane post a few posts above the current. 'It is known that Scots beat their women.' I don't know where the hell that came from....... artistic at least.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by MacDonagh
noticed this was in Aberdeen.

for some reason, they feel more "Scottish" then the lowlanders. Probably because they have persecution complexes the size of my fist.

Quite possibly you are talking out of your backside.
Aberdonians hardly suffer from a persecution problem, why do you think we would feel that way?

Also to give you a bit of perspective to the story, Aberdeen is unofficially the european oil capital, we have thousands of english workers working for the oil giants & I personally work & am friends with a lot of english people.
Just because a couple of idiots attacked this poor woman & it's a despicable act, please don't tar the other 250,000 people who reside in Aberdeen with the same brush.

Also it's a bit of a misconception that all scots hate the english, this couldn't be further from the truth.
Of course you get the nationalistic scum who give the rest of us a bad name but most of the people I know wouldn't care whether you were from London or Glasgow.

Quite possibly you might get treated better if you were from London as there is a general dislike for all things Glaswegian

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

"NO IRISH."

I've always wondered were this intense hatred for the Irish came from.Certainly a lot of it was the views of the upper classes projected on to everyone else,and from what research I've done some came from a familiar theme we have today,'their coming over here taking our jobs.' Its an interesting topic to research.

We do get idiots everywhere,but that doesn't change my feelings towards the diverse groups around me.But its a natural instinct for some to see the actions of a minority,and then project that on to the majority.

Cornwall is a beautiful place and very much my spiritual home.In fact,my whole family is like that.You can go there any time of the year and you'll always find at least one member of our clan there.lol.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DantesLost

I would have said most hate of the Irish will go back to the IRA and the most recent engagement with them. Both sides accused the other of terrible acts, and both sides were right.

That can cause a grudge

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SG-1-9er

Couldn't agree more, the English have committed crimes against humanity for 100's of years, they've stolen land and murdered and raped innocent people. Do they really expect to be able to walk down the streets in Scotland and not get a little of their own back? And don't give me the whole story about how it was hundreds of years ago and the people living in England aren't to blame, I've heard it all before. They still support the royal family today and they act like nothing ever happened, well guess what people, they are still just as bad today, their just a little better at hiding it. If England would learn to stay out of country's that don't belong to them maybe there country men and women wouldn't be getting bashed in the streets.

As I've already stated,if the people of today keep persecuting others for the actions of the past the wounds will never heal.

And if you think us English should be attacked wherever we go I suggest the same for you and your ilk.The English started the oppression of the Aborigenes,your presence there perpetuates it every second of every day.Therefore they have every right to attack you whenever they want wherever they want....

Do you understand how ridiculous that sounds?
You're about as much to blame for that as I am for people being transported to places like Australia.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Can't the Scottish still be shot with a bow and arrow in York without any peanalty?

Im just sayin is all.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
GamerGal

Uh, its white people beating up white people. That's not racism. English and Scottish are not races they are nationalities. Just wanted too correct that.

A common mistake.
Racism isn't just about skin colour.
It also includes race,descent,national or ethnic origin.

StevenDye

Its my own fault for not clarifying the period in time I meant in my other post,which was the Victorian(ish) period.

But,yes,without a doubt some people blame all of Northern Ireland for the actions of the IRA.Some people blame Ireland too,but that's because they're arseholes.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by DantesLost]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The english and the scotts etc. are not different races.

Therefore it is not racism.

It is bigotry. But it is not racism.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Hope everyones nice and cosy under all these blanket statements!

Ok,

What if throughout history, the roles where reversed? Instead of England it was say, Ireland or Scotland that had grown into a powerful, imperialist state that decided to annexe the whole island? Do you really think anything would have been different?
Would tyranny not have happened?
Would murder not have happened?
Would theft, rape and oppression not have occurred?

Bollocks it wouldnt.

Power is power, Rulers are Rulers and People are People. Theres alot of "borrowed angst" on this thread. People seem to be quoting bits of vague history and then deciding that each and every individual englishman at the time was a theif, murderer and despot, had conciously made up his mind to be so, and has been ever since.
Remember that things like wars and occupations are only ever started by a small cabal of rulers and oligarchs. Because they can.

You think the English people wanted the Normans to come over and impose on them feudal slavery in 1066? thus leading them to then turn their attention to the scots also?
Ever heard of men like Gerard Winstanley or Watt Tyler?

Okay, an honest and unbiased question to the scottish floor.

Could you outline the ways that you yourselves would be better off as an independent nation?

[edit on 15-1-2009 by TheSilentProtagonist]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join