It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scars of the girl beaten for being English in Scotland.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cythraul
This is IDIOTIC.

Any Welsh, Irish, Scottish or Cornish ill feeling towards the English is completely misplaced. When are people going to recognise the difference between royalty and subject? It's vaster than the difference between an Englishman and a Scot. I can understand the ancestral Scottish resentment for what the English LEADERS did to their forefathers, but the average Englishmen was as far removed from making that decision and truly benefitting from it as can be.

It's as idiotic as an Iraqi despising a Brit. Most of us opposed (and even protested) that invasion. It's our leaders who lied to make it happen, and only they who'll benefit from their warcrimes.

I agree. It always winds me up when you hear certain quarters bleating on about slavery. For Gods sake, firstly it happened to someone else not them and was committed by someone else not me, and secondly back in those days we were ALL slaves (unless you were rich). We had kids working down mines & in factories, people starving to death, flogged, beaten, or hanged for stealing a loaf of bread to survive. We all counted for nothing, it was, as it still is, just the powerful few who benefitted from everyones suffering.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Random acts of violence like this are just terrible, such a crock. That man had no right to put that woman through the pain and stress this has created. All we can do is try to inspire people away from senseless acts of brutality and its in the end the persons choice.

Still this cannot be rationalized, punishment would suffice but the act itself is a question, and maybe alot of yelling from people with a conscious.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
ive not read much of the post scince the first few scottish hating posts.

Im scottish, not only that but im from Aberdeen. Im most certainly not a wife beater, and i Do not hate any english people for being english. My personal thoughts are all the england / scotland divide is pretty pointless.

As for the story, in aberdeen as with ANY other town or city in the uk, you will always , and i mean ALWAYS get a few ppl who will attack someone for being different, thats just the bad side of the uk. In uk, papers like the daily star and the sun have both a scottish version and an english version, in the english one you get anti scotland storys like this, in the scottish ones its storys of english people hating on us scots, it was not till i started moving between scotland and england loads and being able to read teh scottish and english versions of these papers every day that i noticed. Scince then i have stopped reading tabaloid papers, as they cause the majority of hatrred between groups of people in the uk by stiring up the average joe with bull crap storys.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I will do as i always do when this subject comes up. Approach it with logic.

Firstly the idea of blaming the English for what happened so many years ago is ridiculous. It would be like me blaming the English for what they did to my Irish ancestors, my father doesn't, i don't. It was to long ago for any of my relatives to remember so why should i be angry?

Secondly, if the scots want to be a separate nation then i am in full support of it. It's their decision. However i would also say if this happens we should cut all funding to Scotland, afterall we shouldn't have to fund a country that wants no part of us. Doing so would not be logical without us getting something in return.

Scotland has dropped a great deal of it's industry, it is now very much based on tourism. Without that it will be in a whole lot of trouble financially.Scots hate us, want to separate but also want us to fund their country. This i admit does make me rather angry, you shouldn't be able to have it both ways. If wern't funding Scotland then they wouldn't be able to support half of the systems they currently have.

You should not take our tax money and then carry on calling us names, talk about us like we're all the same and horrible. It's just not right on any level.

I don't hate the Scottish, Welsh or even the Cornish, so why should they hate us English? Seriously now, the claims in this thread that English people treat others like *bleep* is unfounded and just the same xenophobic talk as the sweeping comments made about scots here.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

i dont hate the english one bit.

neither do i think scotland woudl be better independend.

... and im sure its not just me that thinks that.

And to use your words, the xenephobia on your own post is ridicilous.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by boaby_phet]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by redled

Yes, and in England we don't beat women for being....... women. It is known that Scots beat their women and so it is acceptable. Scots hate the English, because we persecute them by giving them more settlement in government cash than any other part of our region, but an English flag on a pretty face deserves a Glasgow kiss.

I hate both Rangers and Celtic, but would not dare say so above the border.

Women beaters, mars bars and deep fried hate. Leave them to their filth.

One of the most racist (or maybe nationalist?) posts i've ever seen on here! You've now just answered why a lot of Scots don't like the English! Your imperialistic generalisation is sickening.

This is a terrible incident, but an isolated one. I know plenty of English people living in Glasgow that never have any problems. These guys were obviously neds/chavs and so therefore shouldn't be taken as an example of Scottish beliefs. I would expect Scots get exactly the same in England sometimes.

I used to work as a debt collector (bad job) and the amount of racist anti-Scottish abuse I used to get from English people was terrible. This is a minority narrow minded view (like that of the poster quoted above).

Scottish resentment towards England generally stems from:

1 - Our oil. We're the only nation EVER to strike oil and never get any richer. Ever! So central Gov gives us more cash to make up for it. I say stop subsidising Scotland and just give us the revenue from our oil.

2 - The history. Look it up, there's plenty of it.

3 - Devolution. We're constantly told by central government we can't make it on our own, we're not good enough. Scottish government is given very limited powers and central government keeps control. Majority of people I know support full devolution. Central government would never let it happen.

4 - Maggie Thatchers government. They ruined us. We were used as guinea pigs for misguided policies and the Tories were very anti-Scot, but very pro-our oil.

5 - England winning the world cup in 1966. We know you won it. We're fed up hearing about it during every single bloody international football match since then, even if it's not even England that are playing!

6 - When someone from Scotland wins something, a sporting event or whatever, they're refered to as 'British'. When someone from England wins they're 'English'.

Here's a funny take on it all from Absolutely:

MacGlashin

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Goverments are good at causing divisions arent they?

Im English, yet my fathers side of my family are Irish, and I have Scottish relatives aswell. I dont hate anyone, and neither do my Irish or Scottish relatives.

LOL at the guy who said we all still support the Royal Family LMFAO Please mate, dont speak with such ignorance!

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
[edit on 15-1-2009 by imsteve]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Ive faced this kind of racism everyday for abouit 10 years now the only difference is im scottish and i get it from everyone at school and its nearly driven me to suicide lots of times and stuff like this is the cause for alot of deaths and it seriously needs to stop because trust me the teachers arent doing anything

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

i dont hate the english one bit.

neither do i think scotland woudl be better independend.

... and im sure its not just me that thinks that.

And to use your words, the xenephobia on your own post is ridicilous.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by boaby_phet]

How is my post xenophobic? Don't just throw the word around randomly. I know some scottish people don't want independance, i know some don't hate the english. I never said otherwise.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nammu
1 - Our oil. We're the only nation EVER to strike oil and never get any richer. Ever! So central Gov gives us more cash to make up for it. I say stop subsidising Scotland and just give us the revenue from our oil.

Your own fault for letting it happen, sorry but that's the truth. Don't blame the English, blame the Scottish people at the time for allowing it.

2 - The history. Look it up, there's plenty of it.

If you are going to use history to hate someone then everyone in the world should hate everyone else because at some point we've all stepped on another nations toes.

3 - Devolution. We're constantly told by central government we can't make it on our own, we're not good enough. Scottish government is given very limited powers and central government keeps control. Majority of people I know support full devolution. Central government would never let it happen.

If the Scottish people demand it you will get it, simple as that. I can see it happening but if it does then the UK should no longer be funding Scotland. If you think it should then you are just being unrealistic and unfair as you wouldn't like it the other way around.

4 - Maggie Thatchers government. They ruined us. We were used as guinea pigs for misguided policies and the Tories were very anti-Scot, but very pro-our oil.

You do know your history right? The Jacobite rebellion was a Tory one. Oh but hey i said lets forget the past, this includes Margaret Thatcher. She hasn't been in power for a long time, maybe if we all move past these things the world would be more peaceful don't you think? Or we can keep banging on about history, hating all who have hurt us in the past and let the world degenerate into a cesspool of hatred even further.

5 - England winning the world cup in 1966. We know you won it. We're fed up hearing about it during every single bloody international football match since then, even if it's not even England that are playing!

I admit ignorance on this one as i know nothing of football, however i would say that the scots always bring up the battle of bannockburn so this statement of yours is slightly hypocritical. Or we could both admit that it's only a small percentage of people who bring these things up.

6 - When someone from Scotland wins something, a sporting event or whatever, they're refered to as 'British'. When someone from England wins they're 'English'.

Really? I always refer to them as Scottish, go Andy Murray!

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Scotland owns absolutely no oil at all. Scotland is not a sovereign entity, and thus cannot claim sovereignty over anything at all.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland owns oil, in the North Sea.

I hope this clears up some of your apparent confusion, Nammu, you rabit nationalist twit.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

Firstly the idea of blaming the English for what happened so many years ago is ridiculous. It would be like me blaming the English for what they did to my Irish ancestors, my father doesn't, i don't. It was to long ago for any of my relatives to remember so why should i be angry?

Secondly, if the scots want to be a separate nation then i am in full support of it. It's their decision. However i would also say if this happens we should cut all funding to Scotland, afterall we shouldn't have to fund a country that wants no part of us. Doing so would not be logical without us getting something in return.

Scotland has dropped a great deal of it's industry, it is now very much based on tourism. Without that it will be in a whole lot of trouble financially.Scots hate us, want to separate but also want us to fund their country. This i admit does make me rather angry, you shouldn't be able to have it both ways. If wern't funding Scotland then they wouldn't be able to support half of the systems they currently have.

You should not take our tax money and then carry on calling us names, talk about us like we're all the same and horrible. It's just not right on any level.

I don't hate the Scottish, Welsh or even the Cornish, so why should they hate us English? Seriously now, the claims in this thread that English people treat others like *bleep* is unfounded and just the same xenophobic talk as the sweeping comments made about scots here.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

you say you approach it with logic, then make some seriously generalist comments.

your post reads like you categorically know that statistically all scots hate the english and all scots want independence.

that's not the case, otherwise it would be happening. The majority oppose it. FACT.

You are obviously as logical as the sensationalist press you must read. Rampant generalisation right back at you. Not logical, is it?

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
People just aren't seeing the whole picture on this kind of propaganda.

Just remember "Divide and Conquer"

Red Herrings to take the heat off of the powers that be.

Sheep will always fall prey to picking a side, then fighting against their brother while the powers that be profit.

This would have never made news unless they knew that it would incite weak minded people to bicker.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by Realtruth]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Hi.

I feel very sorry for this young woman.
I saw this reported on the local news and felt pretty disgusted that a man could hit a woman really hard in the face,let alone over something like nationality!

Unfortunately,you get idiots like this all over the world!

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by annefran
you say you approach it with logic, then make some seriously generalist comments.

your post reads like you categorically know that statistically all scots hate the english and all scots want independence.

If you are reading my post like that it shows your bias and not mine. I used if and but a lot in that post.

Originally posted by annefran
that's not the case, otherwise it would be happening. The majority oppose it. FACT.

You are obviously as logical as the sensationalist press you must read. Rampant generalisation right back at you. Not logical, is it?

I said if they want it, if. I didn't generalise anyone, but thanks for showing your bias

Orignally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
Secondly, if the scots want to be a separate nation then i am in full support of it.

I hate quoting myself but i had to clear this up. Notice how i say IF not a generalisation it's a question.

Scots hate us, want to separate but also want us to fund their country.

Basically quote mining myself here, this i had hoped would be taken in the vain that the rest of the post was, that being 'ifs' and 'buts'.

Notice how i said it's the same? That i hope would have made you realise i was showing how generalizations don't work and aren't correct. I guess you just missed it because you're looking for bias that isn't there so you can jump on it and feel all self righteous.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by NightoftheComet

I don't agree with that statement! Isn't that a form of racism also? I'm English and proud to be English. Not all of us are royal *Bleeps" you know!

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Funny... I've never thought of the Brits or the Scots as racist. I lived in Essex for four years, courtesy of the US Air Force. I lived and worked there among the "locals" and loved it. The folks all treated me like a human being and I was welcomed into homes, fed drinks at pubs, played Bass guitar a time or two with some Musos that I met. I traveled up into Scotland, and found myself n the same boat. Lovely people, great fun, and a tendency to make me feel at home. If I didn't love my home state back here in the USA, I'd probably be living over there right now.

It seems that, in my experience, that you all are much more alike than different. Maybe that's a note that some folks could pick up and stzart working on. All it takes is a few folks find we're more alike than not.

I know this sound dribbley, but I just kind of hate to see people fighting over crap that their respective governments have cooked up and made into reasons to hate each other.

Having said that, I see the same issues in the US of A, and it makes me heartsick to see people fightiing over inosignificant crap.

At the risk of being boohed off the stage, just imagine what we could accomplish if we all worked together instead of apart.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by DantesLost

This type of racism is one that gets ignored on a regular basis.

Uh, its white people beating up white people. That's not racism. English and Scottish are not races they are nationalities. Just wanted too correct that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join