It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scars of the girl beaten for being English in Scotland.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mclarenmp4
reply to post by Cythraul

I completely agree with you. I have travelled a lot around the UK working in many different areas & at the end of the day, people in general tend to accept you regardless of your accent. It's just an unfortunate fact that there are idiots out there like the cowards in the OP.

What really gets my shackles up are people in this thread who just dismiss another country & hold their bigotted beliefs based on 1 story. That to me is just ignorance personified.
But we see it all the time on this site whether your muslim, israeli, scottish or american, ignorance & bigotry run amok here.

Pfft, typical Scot thinking!

(just joking! :roll

I just hate the nationalist crap. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have respect for your country, but give it a freaking rest, SNP-members, you aren't the bleeding Yanks!

Just accept what you are: a country with a population less than London. This means you have no importance on the world stage, unlike Britain as a whole, which could (and has done) when united. The same to Ireland.

I personally find the Scots amiable and amusing, and rarely have I found people more generous than a Scotsman in England, because of the tight-fisted Scot stereotype they seek to undermine.

And I find the Scottish accent on a cute girl very alluring! Bring it on, cute Glaswegian chicks!

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

i suggest you haven't a clue what you're on about and should sit down and shut up, besides being off topic, you're being inflammatory.

Little harsh mate.
Hardly call that inflammatory.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacDonagh
reply to post by mclarenmp4

Not sure. Perhaps it's cause their football team get humped by Celtic, or Rangers. Though they do try harder against Rangers...

Ah I see we feel persecuted because of our football team.

Not at all, we're quite proud of our history as a club & the way the club is now going.

Which builds up resentment because the SNP who have a foothold north of Scotland, continually push that the oil is getting stolen by Westminister, hence you see idiots lashing out thanks to ignorant nationalism.

I see your point & a lot of the rags in this country promote ignorant nationalism, also I do see the benefits of independance I just think we are stronger as a country as part of the UK.

The people who did this would've done it to anyone. It's just a coincedence that she was English. That's all.

Exactly.

Not even going to comment on that.

Get a sense of humour, It was a joke.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

i'll send a u2u

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by scobro
I have always considered myself and my fellow countrymen,to be among the most tolerant and welcoming people on the planet,i mean one can only feel sympathy for some of the guys that i work with,who have left there homeland to come and work in freezing cold bloody Scotland!

(

Hi Scobro
Typical Aberdonian, always moaning about the weather.

I was in The Hague last week & it was -8 during the day, that is cold like I have never experienced in all my life.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by mclarenmp4]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   

yeah, but it's a dry cold

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Yeh well it is either moan about the weather or moan about the football team,and i am getting pretty sick of doing the latter,so i thought i would try the former for a change!

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth

I just hate the nationalist crap. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have respect for your country, but give it a freaking rest, SNP-members, you aren't the bleeding Yanks!

Ummm. Yeah. You just followed a comment about how you hate nationalistic crap with a bunch of nationalistic crap. Just saying.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I've lived in the Aberdeen area for 12 years and there isn't as much violence as there is in some other parts of the country (I originate from the greater Glasgow area where it's a LOT worse). This was a despicable and cowardly act, and I think using it as an example of how Scots 'hate' the English is going a bit far. I guarantee you the yob who commited this assault knows very little of the 'history' that is being spoken of here, he's just a yob looking for any reason to hit someone & I hope the scumbag gets jailed for a very long time (he probably won't though due to our pathetic 'justice' system). There are a lot of English people living in Aberdeen, and I find that it's as common to hear an English accent as it is an Aberdonian one. If we all hated the English these people wouldn't stick around, would they?

Originally posted by redled

....It is known that Scots beat their women and so it is acceptable...

It is known that the English beat their women too, and so it is acceptable...

Am I being inaccurate? Say yes and I'll call you a liar! The abuse of women happens as much in England as it does in Scotland, so you can just stop that faux pious nonsense...

Originally posted by Freeborn

If you hate us so much stay in County Scotland!

We could say the same thing to you, but we go where the work is, just like anyone else...

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

...Scotland has dropped a great deal of it's industry...

You mean Scotland was stripped of most of its industry by Margeret Thatcher - not dwelling on the past, but it's the truth...

Scotland owns absolutely no oil at all. Scotland is not a sovereign entity, and thus cannot claim sovereignty over anything at all.

If that's the case, why did Westminister alter the boundaries of the territorial waters a few years back? They moved the 'border' to take some of Scotland's oil. Why do that if those boundaries meant nothing? Wouldn't it all be one big British area?

Nammu pretty much summed up the modern day reasons for any Scottish dislike of the English. I don't think many of us have a problem with English people on a personal basis. I certainly don't (I have many English friends and I am related through marriage to a few) and we all for the most part get along fine, but there are things that rile us. Apart from all the history, theres the constant harping on about 1966 & the referral of Scots as British when they win something as Nammu said. I also think some may dislike the fact that we look guilty by association when it comes to England's foreign policy (Iraq etc.) and do not like the thought of terrorists targeting us for something we have very little to do with.

Yes I am a Scottish nationalist, but not because I resent the English. I believe in the principle that any country should have the right to govern itself. I vote SNP as a means to an end, not because I agree with Alex Salmond's policies, and if that means we're worse off so be it!

You can forget that United Kingdom (i.e England) 2012 Olympics football team idea too - it's just not going to happen, the rest of us won't let it...

[edit on 15/1/09 by sotp]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I have been saying for a long time that racism is not about race. Nice thread, you got my flag.

Funny to listen to the Scottish and English talk about nationalistic differences, with some Irish thrown in. It seems that maybe a lot of the more vicious comments were as much intended for humor, but I could be wrong.

Here in the states, where the differences between nationalities have been pretty much bred away, we still find reasons to bicker. If it isn't the North against the South, then it is the Reaganites against the Clintonians, Hatsfields and the McCoys, and even blacks divide between dark skinned blacks and light skinned blacks. People in different cities and states talk about how messed up things are in other cities and states.

Obviously these two guys who punch a girl are nothing but scumbags. Chances are she wouldn't give them any play, and that was the real reason for the attack, and had nothing to do with what end of the island she came from.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by redled

Yes, and in England we don't beat women for being....... women. It is known that Scots beat their women and so it is acceptable. Scots hate the English, because we persecute them by giving them more settlement in government cash than any other part of our region, but an English flag on a pretty face deserves a Glasgow kiss.

I hate both Rangers and Celtic, but would not dare say so above the border.

Women beaters, mars bars and deep fried hate. Leave them to their filth.

You really are a piece of distended dog rectum, just the tripe you've typed above is enough to tell anyone on this board that. I spent a good 12 years in the RAF serving amongst the English, Irish and Welsh. Never heard a bad word said about anyone. Yeah, I got called Jock, the Irish Paddy, the Welsh Taff so what, nobody batted an eyelid. Yet the biggest incident I remember just before I left the service was a young English woman who was an RAF Chef and lived 2 doors away from me, her husband was a civvy, yet myself and a good mate of mine from Tottenham had to drag him out of the married quarter at 2 in the morning as he was wrecking the place, he'd beaten up his wife and was threating to kick the crap out of their 4 year old son. We put him in plasticuffs till the old bill arrived. This knuckle dragger deserved a real good kicking, just like the one in Aberdeen will hopefully get. There's no excuse for hitting a woman, EVER. It happens the world over though and not just in Scotland as you seem to alledge. Up yours, twat.

Chuffer

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   

And I find the Scottish accent on a cute girl very alluring! Bring it on, cute Glaswegian chicks!

Amen brother
. I could listen to Scottish girls talk all day long. Nothing better than a pale Scottish beauty. Some find the accent harsh, but there's something about it.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I think the attackers were simply small minded mouth-breathing neds (thats the Scottish word for 'chavs' to all my English cousins out there
) who were looking to give someone -anyone- a kicking.

Its purely academic that she is English. The attackers are the kind of people who would have simply battered ANY person in that particular place at that particular time for ANY reason that best fits circumstances - black, asian, American or Chinese, fat, thin, tall, short. Ginger. Spectacles. Goth. Gay. Style of clothing. Style of hair. Way of walking. Male or female. It doesnt matter. Someone was going to get battered and the attackers would have adjusted their reasoning to suit the status of the victim.

She was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time and her particular reason for being beaten has kicked off a round of anti-English hysteria... and I'm saddened to see that some ATSers are allowing themselves to be wound up by it.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Cythraul

I'm quite partial to a posh English accent.

Our countries should do a swap!

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Scotland was not like this 10 years ago. I blame the rise of fervent nationalism.

Can't we all just get along?

[edit on 15/1/09 by YourForever]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by YourForever

Scotland was not like this 10 years ago. I blame the rise of fervent nationalism.

Rubbish! There was actually a rise in this kind of thing after the release of 'Braveheart' (1995) but that didn't last for long. I'm sickened by all of these posts attributing violence to Scottish nationalism. It's a typical Unionist ploy to villify nationalists, as if we all want to be Scotland's answer to the I.R.A - complete nonsense! I think you'll find that of all the beatings/stabbings/shootings that go on about 99.999999999% aren't a result of nationalism.

Prove me wrong!

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by sotp
Prove me wrong!

I was there.

This is not down to a hollywood movie.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I think it's wrong that we have Scots like Blair then Brown running (or should I say ruining) our country, when they get to run theirs.

Seems obvious they don't give a damn about England

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by redled

1 in 4 women may experience violence in their relationships with men (Women's Aid Federation [England] report, 1992)

Severe, repeated and systematic violence occurs in at least 5 of every hundred marriages in Britain;
Between 40 and 45% of murdered women are killed by thir male partners;
Between 1 and 2 women are murdered by their male partners every week;
more than 25% of all violent crime reported to the police is domestic violence of men against women, making it the second most common violent crime; (Domestic Violence - Action for Change, G. Hague & E. Malos, 1993)

100,000 women per year seek treatment in London for violent injuries received in the home (Punching Judy, BBC1 TV programme, 1989)

30,000 women and children stay in refuges in the UK every year;
In Wolverhampton, UK, 1 in 6 women had suffered some form of domestic abuse;
One quarter of all assaults are in domestic circumstances (Domestic Violence - Report of an Inter-Agency Working Party, 1992)

In Edinburgh, Scotland, out of 3020 cases of violence reported to the police, three quarters of those were wife assault);
One of the main problems experienced by the refuge movement (in the UK) is both the inadequacy and uncertainty of funding (Domestic Violence - Home Office Research Study 107)

Some women's refuges receive no grant aid at all;
London Women's Aid could only find space in a women's refuge for 40% of the 5,000 women who came to them for help in 1990;
A refuge in the Southwest of England was only able to house 142 of the 490 women who were referred to them in desperate need of help;
In a local authority with a population of over a million people, there are currently just 19 refuge spaces (Domestic Violence - Action for Change, G. Halos & E. Malos, 1993)

Ok here are some statistics for you to chew on "mate" sound like you are a racist pig sems the problem is a nation wide thing and probably international with a stinking attitude like yours no much wonder you wouldnt open your mouth it would most likely get you in trouble where ever you are.

I am from scotland and hitting women is not acceptable. Where ever you go in the world there is trouble like this especially if there is drink involved i am suprised that these two guys didnt get a taste of their own medicine from the surrounding people as that is the norm attitude in scotland

I have to say SHAME on you for your racist attitude towards scotland.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
This has nothing to do with British history and any conflict between England or Scotland, its two idiotic lads punching a girl in the face because they are scum. Why are they doing it because they can get away with it and its all they can do to make themselves feel bigger because deep down a person who could do such an act must know he is amongst the lowest dregs humanity has to offer.

This can only ever be viewed as an isolated case to go on to say all Scotland is xenophobic and violent just isnt true, the same with any sweeping statement.

This nanny justice system and the rights of prisoners is going that far its actually destroying society, if you feel the need to punch a stranger in the face you should go to prison and not one with pool tables or cable tv, one were you are stuck in a tiny cell all day and you are fed crap you will never enjoy, then when released maybe you'd think twice before punching someone else, why let the few make life hell for the many. Wow ive just gone totally off on a tangent.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by R-evolve]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join