It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evacuation Warning! - Yellowstone National Park (Non Official)

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by DangerDeath
I couldn't see anything on the animated map from Jan. 3rd onwards.
They are not updating the info on this site.

Something stinks here.

ANSS showing plenty of activity and USGS shows almost nothing?

I wonder what is going on, why are they not showing all the activity from the 3rd to the 4th?

[edit on 4-1-2009 by Realtruth]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Damn, I guess I didn't look too closely at the specifics. I just assumed that it was current data.

This IS getting fishy.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit

Also, I doubt the activity in other countries has a thing to do with any activity here. Why people think they are related baffles me. Earthquakes happen. Every day, somewhere in the world, stronger earthquakes happen. The world is a big place.

Check with some experts, then. Earthquakes on one side of the world are often followed by more on the other side of the world.

Not much of a stretch to think that seismic waves generated by one quake could travel through the planet to generate a disturbance on the other side of the world.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-in-AR

The data just seems to stop. I don't want to get all conspiracy but this is ATS and the current data is not showing up for both days.

Where the heck is the increased activity for the 3rd and 4th?

Have a look for yourselves.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 4-1-2009 by Realtruth]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth

I wonder what is going on, why are they not showing all the activity from the 3rd to the 4th?

cause USGS is owned by the government. Go figure.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

Well, if Yellowstone Blows . . . we will only know when the ash cloud appears overhead . . . or . . . one of the news networks quit reporting on Gaza!

I wondering with this data black out, if some of us should be checking local news sources on line?

Maybe something is happening that has disrupted sensors or communications?

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mel1962

I think TA said it everything here.

I'll post the info from the other thread.

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

If I had to guess why the USGS is not immediately updating, 2 reasons:

1) There has been recent major quakes, and they are probably getting slammed with incoming over that.

2) They were already late updating before the major quakes, faced with the task of analyzing the hundreds of quakes at Yellowstone.

3) They're only human- and in the grand scheme of things underfunded, limited staff, etc.

I'm not sweating that as much as some other things, personally.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mel1962

Well, if Yellowstone Blows . . . we will only know when the ash cloud appears overhead . . . or . . . one of the news networks quit reporting on Gaza!

I wondering with this data black out, if some of us should be checking local news sources on line?

Maybe something is happening that has disrupted sensors or communications?

From what I have read you will actually hear it go off probably

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

Yeah, that is what I gather also. I thought about this yesterday. I think that even this far east (Arkansas) if I were to hear it, I could expect to see the plume some 30 minutes or so later. It would be a very, very scary thing...

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This is dated today ....

cbs5.com...

SONOMA CO.: UPDATE: 4.4-MAGNITUDE QUAKE STRIKES NEAR THE GEYSERS

An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 4.4 struck in Sonoma County this morning near The Geysers, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The earthquake struck at about 9:30 a.m. and had a depth of 2.7 miles, according to the USGS.

The quake was centered about two miles from The Geysers and 13 miles east of Cloverdale.

Earlier this morning, an earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 2.0 struck near The Geysers, according to the USGS.

The earthquake struck at about 7:30 a.m. and had a depth of 1.4 miles, according to the USGS.

The quake was centered about a mile from The Geysers and 12 miles east of Cloverdale.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by j2000

Yeah, WOW is right. If this is not conclusive, and by the way what are this guys credentials, then it's just fear monger stuff. You have to use discretion when advising on the kinds of things. If it's real than it should be brought to the proper authorities. If that is not an option and this is absolutely credible information it needs to be gotten across in a more serious venue that just the Internet. Just my opinion and food for thought. This is disturbing news if it's REAL.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
James Pethokoukis from US News & World Report contacted some scientists to get their take on what these earthquakes are. Doesn't sound like they are terribly concerned and that the signs of a major eruption would produce more significant earthquakes than have been occurring.

www.usnews.com...

At least this has crept into mainstream media now.

delius

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

i found his youtube channel, he talks about the activity, but his facts seem a bit off

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by fleabit

Also, I doubt the activity in other countries has a thing to do with any activity here. Why people think they are related baffles me. Earthquakes happen. Every day, somewhere in the world, stronger earthquakes happen. The world is a big place.

Check with some experts, then. Earthquakes on one side of the world are often followed by more on the other side of the world.

Not much of a stretch to think that seismic waves generated by one quake could travel through the planet to generate a disturbance on the other side of the world.

Because this keeps being brought up, I'll post this again in this thread:

Study by Robert Smith - QUAKE IN ALASKA CHANGED YELLOWSTONE GEYSERS From 2,000 Miles away.

A powerful earthquake that rocked Alaska in 2002 not only triggered small earthquakes almost 2,000 miles away at Wyoming's Yellowstone National Park - as was reported at the time - but also changed the timing and behavior of some of Yellowstone's geysers and hot springs, a new study says.

While other large quakes have been known to alter the activity of nearby geysers and hot springs, the Denali fault earthquake of Nov. 3, 2002, is the first known to have changed the behavior of such hydrothermal features at great distances, according to Smith and his colleagues. They say the magnitude-7.9 quake was one of the strongest of its type in North America in the past 150 years.

Scientists once believed that an earthquake at one location could not trigger earthquakes at distant sites. That belief was shattered in 1992 when the magnitude-7.3 Landers earthquake in California's Mojave Desert triggered a swarm of quakes more than 800 miles away at Yellowstone, as well as other temblors near Mammoth Lakes, Calif., and Yucca Mountain, Nev.

source

[edit on 4-1-2009 by violet]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
FYI: The Times Online over here in the UK have picked up on this now too:

Hundreds of earthquakes have hit Yellowstone National Park, raising fears of a more powerful volcanic eruption. The earthquake swarm, the biggest in more than 20 years, is being closely monitored by scientists and emergency authorities. The series of small quakes included three last Friday which measured stronger than magnitude 3.0. The strongest since this latest swarm of quakes began on December 27 was 3.9. No damage has yet been reported but scientists say this level of activity - there have been more than 500 tremors in the last week - is highly unusual.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I was just thinking about how loud that boom would need to be to be heard so far around the US. Can you imagine that even though you possibly live through the blast and 3' of ash or more you would probably be deaf if you were just outside the blast zone.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

You have a lot of faith in the government to look out for you. History teaches us to look out for ourselves or die with the herd. Do you think the volcano will tell the government when it will blow? Do you realize the size of this bad boy? Do you understand that zone 1 is a 600 mile radius or more. Do you understand that the estimated ash load that will be wet will cave in the roofs and crush everything and the rain will be very acidic.--- Educate yourself and Have a Plan!!!!!--- Good Luck!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Well said.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Here is a link to a realtime webcam of Old Faithful. I'm sure the camera must be on a fixed stand but from time to time the picture moves. Almost as if the ground were slowly rising and falling.
Well anyway, now we can all watch it blow on the internet.

www.nps.gov...

Click on the LAUNCH link to watch.

[edit on 1/4/2009 by MsSmartypants]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

o come on, you expect the governor or the president to warn? i am so glad there are those who still believe in and trust in our government. i wish i felt the same way. it would make my life so much easier.

anyway, i looked at a global alert map visz.rsoe.hu...

On 04.01.2009 at 05:38 GMT+2On 04.01.2009 at 05:38 GMT+2

At 11:32 this morning, a 3.5 magnitude earthquake was reported 38 miles east southeast of West Yellowstone, Mont., in Yellowstone National Park — the latest in a swarm of earthquakes that has hit the area in the past week. The 3.5 tremor was followed this afternoon by a 3.2 magnitude quake at 12:40 p.m. and a 3.0 temblor at 1:15 p.m. The swarm of more than 500 tremors is the largest series of back-to-back quakes to hit the area in years, according to scientists. Today's quakes came on the heels of a series of tremors on New Year's Day, including a 3.0 at 6:30 p.m. and a 3.1 at 6:21 p.m. "The December 2008 earthquake sequence is the most intense in this area for some years," said the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory. "No damage has been reported within Yellowstone National Park, nor would any be expected from earthquakes of this size." According to the observatory, Yellowstone seismicity increased significantly in December because of what it described as an "energetic earthquake swarm" that began Dec. 27. The swarm is occurring beneath the northern part of Yellowstone Lake in the park. The largest of the quakes, according to the observatory, was a magnitude 3.9 at 10:15 p.m. on Dec. 27. Some of the larger earthquakes have been felt by park employees and guests, according to the observatory. The observatory was created as a partnership of the U.S. Geological Survey, Yellowstone National Park and the University of Utah. It monitors long-term volcanic and earthquake activity in the Yellowstone National Park region.

this is the event description:

Scientists are closely monitoring more than 250 small earthquakes that have occurred in Yellowstone National Park since Friday. Swarms of small earthquakes happen frequently in Yellowstone. But Robert Smith, a professor of geophysics at the University of Utah, says it's very unusual to have so many over several days. The largest tremor was Saturday and measured magnitude 3.8. Smith says it's hard to say what might be causing the tremors but notes that Yellowstone is very geologically active. An active volcano there last erupted 70,000 years ago. )

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join