It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evacuation Warning! - Yellowstone National Park (Non Official)

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I was watching the webcam and I noticed a couple of flashes and then the camera began to shake. Maybe it does that all the time, I don't know. I googled some online newspapers in the region and this does not appear to be big local news for some reason. The mainstream coverage is coming from elsewhere.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsSmartypants
Well anyway, now we can all watch it blow on the internet.

KEWL Thanks for that link... didn't have that in my database yet...

Now when that Camera vanishes... we will have warning time to prepare to kiss our butts goodbye

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Nah, this particular mega-disaster would mean a radical change in our lifstyle. Not so fast. There will always be taxes, tax collection, bill collectors, people and government authorities screwing each other over for gain, power and wealth. This wicked country is going to go on and on and on.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Yeah, I suggest that if Yellowstone erupts that people go ahead and mix up some Koolaid. That way it can end quickly and quietly.

Just Kidding.
That is a pretty cool link, though. I'm more interested in watching the geyser than anything else though. I think the danger is behind us. That is unless things pick back up again, though.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR
Yeah, I suggest that if Yellowstone erupts that people go ahead and mix up some Koolaid. That way it can end quickly and quietly.

Just Kidding.
That is a pretty cool link, though. I'm more interested in watching the geyser than anything else though. I think the danger is behind us. That is unless things pick back up again, though.

Sadly, the chances that is does pick back up soon are high

but, it might just die down a bit again, or maybe be only something like 1.0-2.0's.

That would be nice.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Another earthquake in NE Nevada 3.6!

This area is related to the hot spot migration from the NE!

and here is additional data from USGS

USGS Data

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
If it's happening, it's happening quite slowly. Until there are more reports from other sources I wouldn't start to worry, maybe it's just something similar to a "burp."

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
If it's happening, it's happening quite slowly. Until there are more reports from other sources I wouldn't start to worry, maybe it's just something similar to a "burp."

Yes, something similar to a burp...except when something comes up after the burp. Haha

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-in-AR

This is typical of what people believe the eruption will be like. It is based on some very common erroneous ideas about the history of Yellowstone. People have focused on the worst events of the past, forgetting the more recent history. Here is a quote from: USGS site

Renewed magmatic activity has produced voluminous lavas in the Yellowstone caldera since approximately 150 thousand years ago, perhaps even indicating a fourth volcanic cycle. Following emplacement of a large rhyolitic lava flow in the western ring-fracture zone, renewed uplift of the resurgent dome occurred, reflecting insurgence of magma into the caldera system. Since that time, voluminous rhyolitic lavas (several individual flows exceeding 50 cubic kilometers) have filled the central part of the caldera and overflowed its western rim. These lavas were emplaced in three major episodes at approximately 150 thousand years ago, 110 thousand years ago, and 70 thousand years ago, each time erupting from both the western and eastern sides of the western ring-fracture zone to form the Madison and Central plateaus, respectively. The aggregate volume of these lavas is approximately 1,000 cubic kilometers. Deformation, probably related to continued magmatic activity beneath the Yellowstone caldera, continues with caldera-wide uplift and subsidence at rates as high as 2 centimeters per year. ...

Note what I have put in bold type. People are fond of repeating that its been 640,000 years since the last eruption, forgetting that significant vulcanism started 150,000 years ago and continued until approximately 70,000 years ago. The pattern of every 600,000 years has been broken. A total of 1000 cubic kilometers of lava was deposited over 80,000 years in a series of eruptions, concentrated in three major events.
It is unlikely that a repeated of the super eruption of 640,000 years ago will happen in our lifetime. Even a continuation the the more recent pattern of smaller eruptions more often has been broken. There is some possibility of a major event that would be comparable to Tambora. It might be as much as twice as big, but likely no bigger. This would bring severe disruption to the USA, but would not end life as we know it.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Yeah, I also just read earlier that they have evidence in zircon deposits that the supervolcano cycle has slowed. I, of course, have no idea what that means, but in the end it translates to me agreeing with what you said

On a more somber note, I put this in the main thread but it is probably more apt here...
I just called my brother who recently spent the summer working inside the park. I asked him if he had heard about the activity and he said he heard about it three days ago. He has since been trying to contact his buddies that still work inside the park. No answer from his friends and no return calls in three days. Which is odd because he apparently keeps somewhat regular contact with them... I'm not going to jump to the conclusion that there is some sort of gag order in effect, but it is a little worrying considering the lack of Yellowstone data of late.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Why are you Anonymous?

Are you the great Volcano God????

What is your basis for your statement??????

Where's the beef???????

Show me the money?????????????????

It appears to me we are overdue!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-ARI'm not going to jump to the conclusion that there is some sort of gag order in effect, but it is a little worrying considering the lack of Yellowstone data of late.

Now that is interesting...

Is the park still open to tourists right now? If something was up would they not close the park?

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

I feel this is a troubling subject for many, but I got told that 'When the animals leave and unless the ground gets alot bigger like a bulg or bigger hill then we have got nothing to worry about', except maybe a geyser(spelling) to release pressure.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Yeah, the park is still open. If anything they have just been advised not to talk about the subject due to undue panic or something. Hell, I don't know.

Most likely though, the guys there are busy and just haven't had time to call my brother back yet.

PS: I also tried calling the park myself. Unfortunately, I can't find a number for the Ranger Stations and the visitor's center is obviously closed at this time. But I DID find out that they haven't put ANYTHING into their recorded messages about any of this. But, I wouldn't expect them to. So I've turned up dead ends all around.

[edit on 4-1-2009 by Jay-in-AR]

[edit on 4-1-2009 by Jay-in-AR]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Reklaw

The Caldera has seen unprecedented rise in height over the past few years. That prerequisite has been satisfied... At least enough to say SOMETHING is there. Not sure what.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Evacuate!!!Run Like heck...from the biggest volcano on earth give me a break if its gonna blow id love to be one of the first to die ,instead of living through the aftermath!!

Does anybody know the averages of earthquakes for yellowstone?
This info would be very helpful!!!!!!

the lake has been rising for 50 years theres old pics to prove it we knew that several years ago!!
Also Volcanos rise and fall too,Im not saying thats whats gonna happen here but if it blows theres nothing we can do about it anyways except Die!!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Apparently gusher activity has seen dramatic increases over the last week - can the guy with the buddies get them to confirm? This would suggest increased subterranean temperature consistent with magma rising.

Exciting stuff.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Dutty_Rag

If I ever hear back from my brother on it I will report it. That goes without saying though.
I'll ask.

I like that line of thought, though. Starred here.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
It is true, some would still not heed the warning. The government would not issue such a warning till the last minute, because they have no way of taking care of those stranded, and with no place to go. I mean, if the government could not adequately take care of and warn folk concerning Hurricane Katrina, then they sure as heck could not prepare for the largest volcanic eruption in the history of the world.

Maybe this is what the Mayan's saw, maybe Yellowstone will erupt, wipe out a majority of earth's population, so that by December 21, 2012, everything will be back to normal, and we will have a new beginning for those still alive, a "new earth" for us to live on, and start life fresh again!

~ Lonelypoet

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join