It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Giant Breach in Earth's Magnetic Field

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Originally posted by squiz
I agree that the atmosphere does serve some protection, but it kind of sounds like your saying that our atmosphere would be fine without the magnetosphere. As I said before no magnetosphere no atmosphere, (eventually).

I'd also like to mention that this discovery changes conventional views of the interactions with magnetospheres and the solar wind. Even my comment regarding the polarity of the IMF seems to be no longer valid. So all bets are off.

A bit more clarification may be in order. The atmosphere is our primary protection from high energy particles. We would be protected from high energy particles if the magnetosphere were not present. However, as you say, without the magnetosphere our atmosphere would gradually blow away (you're correct that Venus is not a good analog, but it was easier than going through the whole thing about when Mars' magnetosphere may have gone away). Of course, if our atmosphere goes away we won't have to worry much about the effects of cosmic rays, we'll be back to living in caves (sealed).

I have no doubt that we are going to be learning a lot more about the solar wind et al. We haven't been out there touching it for very long at all. Science!

Urm... wouldn't we be dead if we lost our atmosphere ? - I mean.. whats the point in becoming a troglodyte if you have no air to breathe ?

hrmm..

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springheel Jack
reply to post by WatchNLearn

Hey Watch, just doesnt suprise me. I read about this somewhere....hmmmm...oh yes...

Revelation 16:8-9 (New International Version)

8The fourth angel poured out his bowl on the sun, and the sun was given power to scorch people with fire.
9They were seared by the intense heat and they cursed the name of God, who had control over these plagues, but they refused to repent and glorify him.

Now let the flames BEGIN!

Lol, but it is curious that a guy 2000 years ago predicted this.

It's not hard to predict things when everything moves in circles. Whatever is going to happen has already happened before. This is where the expression "To understand what is coming, we must look backwards." probably originated from.

lets not forget our old friend Ouroboros.

[edit on 12/17/08 by mortalengine]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
When pollution strikes back, we try to put the blame somewhere else

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I doubt pollution caused it. I wonder if the field fails or reverses, will electricity we use fail to work?

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
For those who are thinking this is the end of the world, man hasn't been observing the heavens for even a sniffle of time since out solar system formed. Therefore, this "hole" has probably happened millions of times throughout the evolution of our planet.

If you think about things in terms of time, it's really not a big deal.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

"1027 particles per second were flowing into the magnetosphere—that's a 1 followed by 27 zeros."

Could anyone help me understand this?

Maybe it was in relation to it's weight or mass? Maybe it was speaking of displacement of other particles from solar wind? Is there some multiplier used when speaking of particle measurement? I've been scouring Wikipedia for help understanding what is being said, but can't get it.

Last time I checked "1027" is "1 followed by a zero - followed by a 2 and a 7".
Not "1 followed by 27 zeros".

Even if he's speaking in terms of how many particles per year are fyling into the magnetosphere from solar wind – it's only 31 billion which is nowhere close to 27,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.

What gives? Was he speaking in terms of how many particles per decade or is there some intricate part of measuring particles that adds "27 zeros" that I'm unaware of? I could find nothing in Wikipedia.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by tyranny22

10 on 27th potential, I guess?

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Were they trying to show an exponent of 27? I wonder this myself. Anyone have an idea?

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by boomchank

You can't create superscript in ATS text editor. I think that's it.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Yes, that's exactly what it means.

LOL. If you look at the original reference, you'll see exactly that.

Sorry, I got hung up on that when I read the OP. I didn't even bother to reference that original article. I went straight to Wikipedia trying to figure out why the measurement had such an amplified number. I got so bogged down in solar wind research that I didn't even think about it being a discrepancy from a reposted quote.

My bad ... back to the subject at hand.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing this data Zorgon! This is the very same kind of data I like to use to slowly wake people up to things in this world.

As stated.. This changes everything we once knew about this subject.
Many times has the poles shifted from one group to another?
Now that we have people making comments in some creditable postions it gives those of us who are trying to explain to others, not all is what it seems...

Thanks again for the research, and info!

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
if people flew in a shuttle to the moon outside of our magnetic sphere then obviously we have the means to protect ourselves from these solar winds..

we just build the outsides of our houses out of the same stuff that spaceships are made of..

done deal.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Came across a few articles that I think might be related.

This interaction causes an energy exchange that can change the density of the thermosphere (how closely the gas molecules within it are packed together). As its density changes, the thermosphere expands and contracts.

source

and also

ScienceDaily (Dec. 16, 2008) — Observations made by NASA instruments onboard an Air Force satellite have shown that the boundary between the Earth's upper atmosphere and space has moved to extraordinarily low altitudes.

source

Even if these things have nothing to do with each other, I find it interesting that there seems to be a whole lot of activity all around the same time in regards to the earths protective devices.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ahnggk

Well I hope you all stocked up on sunblock...

No, magnetic field breach won't mean more harmful radiation from sun. BUT certain magnetic activities could trigger x-rays or gamma rays which a sunblock lotion could hardly protect you against.

But that is the least of your problem. More and stronger geomagnetic storms could trigger the end of the 'silicon age'. No more computers, cellphones, ipods.

that might be a blessing

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
so what does this all mean?

Cancel Xmas?

That hole is right over the North Pole

You mean its right over where they were reported to have set off those 9 underground nukes that I read so much about and researched a bit? Interesting. That tells me quite a a bit.

By the way, if that event went down, and even being speculated about makes me think it did, even though the water may be a shield of sorts, I've read that an exchange of 10 missiles is all it would take to make the northern hemisphere a wasteland devoid of life for ages. On top of the tons of DU nano dust that mixed globally and that we're inhaling with ever breath which is making over 1 million nuclear events at cell level every year, we're in big trouble.

www.idust.net...

g. With these assumptions, we can adjust the total number of radiation events calculated in step 4 to determine the number of radiation events that actually reach surrounding tissue and cause damage:

For Alpha Radiation:

0.2% (5.2 events/sec) (60 sec/min) = 0.6 alpha radiation event per minute

For Beta Radiation:

80% (10.4 events/sec)(60 sec/min) = 499 beta radiation events per minute

For Gamm Radiation:

100% (10.4 events/sec)(60 sec/min) = 624 gamma radiation events per minute

Thus the total number of damaging radiation events to penetrate living tissue from a 0.34 mg body burden of depleted uranium will be approximately 1100 events per minute, 1.6 million events per day, or 578 million radiation events per year.

I don't think this hole is all that mysterious, but dangerous. Yeah, I'd say. Whats wrong with us that we don't stop these madmen. Benjamin Fulford says it boils down to 50 old men doing this whole thing.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Earth Atmosphere "Breathes," Thanks to Solar Winds
Victoria Jaggard in San Francisco
National Geographic News

December 16, 2008
Earth's upper atmosphere "breathes," expanding and contracting due to previously unnoticed influences from the sun, say scientists who have measured the phenomenon for the first time.

The steady rhythm of "breaths" is linked to the ebb and flow of geomagnetic activity that is driven by intense solar winds—charged particles streaming outward from the sun—according to recent satellite data.
news.nationalgeographic.com...

news.nationalgeographic.com...

[edit on 123131p://bWednesday2008 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq

You mean its right over where they were reported to have set off those 9 underground nukes that I read so much about and researched a bit? Interesting. That tells me quite a a bit.

No, it wasn't centered over the magnetic north pole.

Conduits over the Arctic and Antarctic quickly expanded; within minutes they overlapped over Earth's equator to create the biggest magnetic breach ever recorded by Earth-orbiting spacecraft.

It had nothing to do with the Arctic earthquakes which occurred in November.

The big discovery came on June 3, 2007, when the five probes serendipitously flew through the breach just as it was opening.

Why do you listen to what Zorgon says. Why don't you read the blooming article?
science.nasa.gov...

[edit on 12/17/2008 by Phage]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Its close enough. And I'm paying big attention to this. All of the 2012 events predicted, even given by black ops, such as Mr. X interviewed by project camelot, a very well known scientist, that even Mr. Hoagland would know. They go on to say, during the Hoagland interview that he predicts massive cmes, magnetic pole shifts, and then crustal ones. The reason they've built all those underground bases.

I've suspected for some time that these incredibly insane madmen who have polluted the entire world with dirty bomb technology for 4.5 billion years would be the cause, direct cause, in other words they DID IT, of whatever stuff goes down over the next 4 years. It won't be an accident. It won't be planet x, it won't be an allignment itself. nada. It will be them, and their insane agenda for this planet.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
You know, there is so much information about things the government could be or is actually doing. It's so hard to tell what is real or fake, but in my heart of hearts, I know these things:

The world is going through changes, by what I believe to be both man made and natural.
Something may or may not happen in 2012. Who really knows? The powers that be (or should I say the powers that always have been) either know something we don't or are trying to create something in order to secure a "Paradise" for their "Elite". I personally believe it is dark spirits trying to hitch an easy ride to a higher plane. Sounds hokey, I know.
There is some sort of higher power out there, be it divine or alien (or both?) That is concerned about our future. I think (and I feel) that there is going to be some sort of intervention. Maybe it will be in the form of nature (to me that would be the divine aspect). Maybe some giant spaceship full of our ancestors will come and teach us how to teleport of the space ship earth dungeon. Yes, I know......Hokey.

I am an intuitive sort of person.........and I feel in my bones that we are on the precipice of something HUGE.

All I can say is this: We should really try to be the best human beings we can possibly be right now. As my god mother always told me.......eyes wide open, mouth shut (as in, don't have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all). Sorry if this is out of place on here. Just felt like writing it.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Okay, I'm all for the idea that we've screwed up with over pollution,

but this has NOTHING to do with pollution.

Unless our garbage is composed primarily of really big magnets, and incredibly powerful disposable batteries pumping out billions of watts even when empty... lol.

Alright, yes, there seems to be a weak point in the magnetosphere. But what people aren't thinking about is the fact that a magnetic field intensifies as you get closer to the source. In this case, the source being earth. (No, not the store previously called radio shack, earth.)

So essentially, that outer region of the magnetosphere has fluctuated leaving only a small field of repulsion, but the rest of the field, all the way back to earth, is still there and capable of doing the same job.

If you see that repulsion zone get really close to earth... then you can start panicking.
I'll be right there with you.

But no, there's no doom and gloom scenario here... just the notion that we didn't think the repulsion zone of a magnetic field could 'thin out' abruptly like that.

So praise be to the witch god, with snake heads or whatever strange mythical being you people are idolizing these days.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join