It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Giant Breach in Earth's Magnetic Field

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Who did this?
Why wasn't I informed?

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

They didn't.
kook
The earthquakes have been discussed here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 12/16/2008 by Phage]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

WOW THANKS FOR THE INFO ZORGON

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
What up everyone - reader for years, first post. Love the brainpower and quick wit on this board...not to mention the overall obective to search for truth.

Maybe I read the NASA article incorrectly, but the THEMIS mission was launched in February of 2007 and the discovery came in July of 2007 when the "five probes serendipitously flew through the breach just as it was opening.." I think its quite possible that the magnetic anomaly could be a common occurance and this just happens to be the first time we actually measured it. Consider that in reality, the "surprise" came only 5 months after the program was initiated (not sure if there have been previous NASA missions in this regard).

Think of any groundbreaking scientific development, and I'll show you a surprised scientist who conducted the experiment and/or research. Any step closer to the absolute truth is a step in the right direction....

P=MC2

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   

The years ahead could be especially lively. Raeder explains: "We're entering Solar Cycle 24. For reasons not fully understood, CMEs in even-numbered solar cycles (like 24) tend to hit Earth with a leading edge that is magnetized north. [bold]Such a CME should open a breach and load the magnetosphere with plasma just before the storm gets underway. It's the perfect sequence for a really big event.[/bold]"

Uh oh.

The elite are trying to cull the herd.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MoonMine

My thoughts exactly! It STINKS of HAARP.

Without a magnetic field most of Earth will die. People will not even be able to walk outside for fear of being burnt to death by radiation or cosmic rays, x-rays, gamma rays etc. Not to mention we will loose our atmosphere.

Indeed, Earth will become Mar's twin. I hope the guys at HAARP thought it was all worth while!

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
NASA may just be finding this out, but the Discovery channel has ran at least two programs about the change in the magntic field in the Atlantic Ocean in the southern hemisphere. Speculation is that it is a cyclical event that precludes a shifting of the magnetic poles.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Why did this not make main stream news?

On the Yahoo front page right now link

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
And now the latest Global Warming News

WASHINGTON - More than 2 trillion tons of land ice in Greenland, Antarctica and Alaska have melted since 2003, according to new NASA satellite data that show the latest signs of what scientists say is global warming.

green.yahoo.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The magnetosphere is not the only protection from the solar wind. Venus has no planetary magnetosphere and has a dense atmosphere. In lieu of a planetary magnetic field, an induced magnetic field forms, produced by interactions between the solar wind and the ionosphere. It would take a very long time with no planetary magnetosphere for our atmosphere to be stripped away if it happened at all.

The comparison to Venus may not be valid, I believe Velikovsky was correct in that Venus is a young planet and is still finding electrical equilibrium. The runaway greenhouse effect is a myth.

Planets with a weak or non-existent magnetosphere are subject to atmospheric stripping by the solar wind.
Venus, the nearest planet to Earth, has an atmosphere 100 times denser than our own. Modern space probes have discovered a comet-like tail that stretches back to the orbit of the Earth.[28]

Hmm... a cometary tail?

Mars is larger than Mercury and four times farther from the sun, and yet even here it is thought that the solar wind has stripped away up to a third of its original atmosphere, leaving a layer 100 times less dense than the Earth's. It is believed the mechanism for this atmospheric stripping is gas being caught in bubbles of magnetic field, which are ripped off by solar winds.

en.wikipedia.org...

Ewww, I used wikipedia as reference.

It probably would take a long to to strip the atmosphere, but it does happen, it's happening on Mars and Venus as mentioned above.

Solar Wind Rips up Martian Atmosphere
Obseving the atmospheres of Venus and Mars leaking into space

I'm talking about both UV radiation and high energy particles (both cosmic rays and the high energy particles from the sun). The magnetosphere does intercept some of these but even if it didn't, the atmosphere still would. The atmosphere can deal with high energy particles better than the magnetosphere can. Of course, in case of a gamma ray burst or some other truly awesome event, neither our magnetosphere nor our atmosphere would help. But for the ordinary, everyday stuff, the atmosphere works fine.

Thanks for the clarification, however I'd have to disagree with the Venus comparison. It may have a thick atmosphere but it is still being stripped.
It's just a baby is all.

I agree that the atmosphere does serve some protection, but it kind of sounds like your saying that our atmosphere would be fine without the magnetosphere. As I said before no magnetosphere no atmosphere, (eventually).

I'd also like to mention that this discovery changes conventional views of the interactions with magnetospheres and the solar wind. Even my comment regarding the polarity of the IMF seems to be no longer valid. So all bets are off.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Could this be related to the sun being at solar minimum?

Is it a coincidence that the breach has occurred at the same time as the solar minimum?

If it is related, then the magnetic field will increase as the sun's activity increases.

Or I'm completely wrong

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by squiz
I agree that the atmosphere does serve some protection, but it kind of sounds like your saying that our atmosphere would be fine without the magnetosphere. As I said before no magnetosphere no atmosphere, (eventually).

I'd also like to mention that this discovery changes conventional views of the interactions with magnetospheres and the solar wind. Even my comment regarding the polarity of the IMF seems to be no longer valid. So all bets are off.

A bit more clarification may be in order. The atmosphere is our primary protection from high energy particles. We would be protected from high energy particles if the magnetosphere were not present. However, as you say, without the magnetosphere our atmosphere would gradually blow away (you're correct that Venus is not a good analog, but it was easier than going through the whole thing about when Mars' magnetosphere may have gone away). Of course, if our atmosphere goes away we won't have to worry much about the effects of cosmic rays, we'll be back to living in caves (sealed).

I have no doubt that we are going to be learning a lot more about the solar wind et al. We haven't been out there touching it for very long at all. Science!

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by soma_pills

only posted by AP 2 hrs 27 mins ago

Hehe ATS beats AP out the door

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Could this be related to the sun being at solar minimum?

Is it a coincidence that the breach has occurred at the same time as the solar minimum?

If it is related, then the magnetic field will increase as the sun's activity increases.

Or I'm completely wrong

I've been trying to figure that out as well. If you want to confuse yourself even further, checkout the wealth of data related to the current solar cycle on this site: link.

My question is, what happens if there is one of these 'breaches' and a CME occurs which is pointed towards earth? I mean this must have happened before. Just because they recently discovered the breaches doesn't mean they haven't been there a while (right?).

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   

kook

Well maybe but I'm a nice kook... keep you hopping to keep up with me and alleviate your boredom

I believe if you look at the bottom of the post you answered you will notice I gave that thread...

right below THIS

"It appears the Nuke part of the story may be bunk, but the seismic record isn't so SOMETHING caused that record. "

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by soma_pills

only posted by AP 2 hrs 27 mins ago

Hehe ATS beats AP out the door

It's funny because the first thing I did when I saw it on Yahoo was come to ATS...and there was your post already on the front page! Way to beat the MSM.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I would never call you a kook, Zorgon.
I was referring to the kook who wrote the "article".

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by WatchNLearn

Hey Watch, just doesnt suprise me. I read about this somewhere....hmmmm...oh yes...

Revelation 16:8-9 (New International Version)

8The fourth angel poured out his bowl on the sun, and the sun was given power to scorch people with fire.
9They were seared by the intense heat and they cursed the name of God, who had control over these plagues, but they refused to repent and glorify him.

Now let the flames BEGIN!

Lol, but it is curious that a guy 2000 years ago predicted this.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Springheel Jack

Predicted what? A geomagnetic storm might result in some problems with your ipod but you won't feel a thing.

[edit on 12/16/2008 by Phage]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   

I would never call you a kook, Zorgon.
I was referring to the kook who wrote the "article".

Okay

HEY here is something WEIRD to toss into the ring...

The DAY BEFORE this hole appears.. they reported this

Seems the Universe is tossing more surprises at NASA scientists

Solar Flare Surprise

Above: The X9-class solar flare of Dec. 5, 2006, observed by the Solar X-Ray Imager aboard NOAA's GOES-13 satellite.

Big Picture

Dec. 15, 2008: Solar flares are the most powerful explosions in the solar system. Packing a punch equal to a hundred million hydrogen bombs, they obliterate everything in their immediate vicinity. Not a single atom should remain intact.

At least that's how it's supposed to work.

"We've detected a stream of perfectly intact hydrogen atoms shooting out of an X-class solar flare," says Richard Mewaldt of Caltech. "What a surprise! These atoms could be telling us something new about what happens inside flares."

science.nasa.gov...

The event occurred on Dec. 5, 2006. A large sunspot rounded the sun's eastern limb and with little warning it exploded. On the "Richter scale" of flares, which ranks X1 as a big event, the blast registered X9, making it one of the strongest flares of the past 30 years.

NASA managers braced themselves. Such a ferocious blast usually produces a blizzard of high-energy particles dangerous to both satellites and astronauts. Indeed, moments after the explosion, radio emissions from a shock wave in the sun's atmosphere signaled that a swarm of particles was on its way.

An hour later they arrived. But they were not the particles researchers expected.

[edit on 17-12-2008 by zorgon]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join