It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Giant Breach in Earth's Magnetic Field

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Who knows, maybe the breach in the Magnetosphere was caused by none other than Magneto, arch enemy of the fabled X-men of comic book lore?

Or maybe this type of science is still too new to know all the answers and reasonings behind why events are occuring such as this. I say sit back and watch everything unfold, there are supposed to be really smart people working for NASA so i'm not too worried.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Could this have anything to do with the data that backs Global Warming/Climate Change? Im curious because I dont think scientists are taking into account the Solar winds and how they affect the data.

Does anyone know if Scientists focusing on climate change are even lookin at this type scientific evidence?

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
science.nasa.gov...

Good article about the breach being known in advance.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by unknown known

That article has nothing to do with the breach. It is about predicting sunspot activity.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
this really isn't a problem since it's there first observation it could have been there for awhile some scientists are stupid hey if you want to talk to me find me on myspace. just search for rahmin habibzai.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Are you sad about the up coming solar storms?

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
The way I see it is, every race will die EXCEPT black people. the reason I say this is because they're the only race that can fully tolerate the suns rays. It has been proven that we came from black people. Maybe the world is just going through it's recurring cycle. I predict only black people will be standing and control the world.

Sure, people will be able to live off of batteries, generators etc. but they will be used up soon. After that, you're history.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
The way I see it is, every race will die EXCEPT black people. the reason I say this is because they're the only race that can fully tolerate the suns rays. It has been proven that we came from black people. Maybe the world is just going through it's recurring cycle. I predict only black people will be standing and control the world.

Sure, people will be able to live off of batteries, generators etc. but they will be used up soon. After that, you're history.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by tyranny22
Could anyone help me understand this?

Originally posted by DangerDeath
You can't create superscript in ATS text editor. I think that's it.

Yeah you can but it's a pain in the butt

You need to know unicode characters

10²⁷

But really guys, had you followed the linky
science.nasa.gov...
to the source file it clearly shows the 10²⁷ correctly.

It does not translate on copy and paste but then that is WHY we provide links..

And yes 10²⁷ IS 1 followed by 27 zeros

ℵ &fnof ∞

[edit on 17-12-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

What Im gathering from what I have read so far is that the sun cycles create solar flares which create EMP pulses.
IN theory if a big enough solar cycle hits our planet. It could send a world wide EMP pulse.. Knocking out all of our current machines, and tech?
Computers, Cars, anything with a microchip that can not take the energy produced from such storms?

So far thats what I gather.. But Im sure with more reading Im going to find other ill effects this will have on our planet.
A world wide EMP is pretty bad news as it stands..

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

It is not an EMP (electromagnetic pulse). Similar effects though.

Solar flares produce an increase in the flow particles from the sun (the solar wind). When there is a large increase it can result in a geomagnetic storm which can last for a couple of days. Some electronics don't like it but there is a larger risk to our electric power grids. Transformers and generators can be severely damaged. Long pipelines are also at risk.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluewaves11

...............I......holy geez where to start. Aww forget it.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Hmmm I wonder if HAARP can throw up a shield against that...

Something I have to look into...

But I just LOVE how the scientists are getting more and more 'surprises' these days

And on the 'Global warming' front?
Right now outside my house I have 2 inches of snow on the ground!!! Its staying and its snowing like crazy with no signs of it stopping soon

Big deal you say? This is VEGAS... my leaves are still on the tree. I am betting we set records by morning

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackProjects

The Earth's magnetic field deflects much of the Sun's proton flux from reaching the level of the atmosphere where what is not deflected causes ionization of the atmosphere and gives us the auroras in the North and South.

The Earth's magnetic field does not and can not deflect Cosmic rays which are neutral particles like neutrons which are not possible to deflect with a magnetic field because they have a neutral charge.

The cosmic rays are very fast neutrons which are mostly remnants of stellar explosions in the universe. They are absorbed by collision with atmospheric gas atoms so any hypothesis about cosmic rays becoming more of a problem because of these holes in the Earth's magnetic field have no basis.

This breach could allow much more solar plasma into the Earth's atmosphere though which during a heavy solar storm could be a problem and increase the violence of storms.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I expect that this magnetic field breach event they are recording is a direct result of the recorded low solar flux output we are experiencing now. The lower solar proton flux output I expect causes the Earth's magnetic field to have greater variation due to less solar influence.

Imagine if you blow very strong and steady on a candle flame. The flame is flattened out very symmetrically in the direction of the flow of your breath.

Now if you blow softly and inconsistently on that candle flame you will see that it fluctuates a great deal because its own energy can appose the weaker force.

I think from the data I have looked at that this analogy sums up basically what is happening and it is I suspect being caused by the solar minimum cycle we are in right now.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Earth’s magnetosphere is distorted by the solar wind as it blows by. Modulations of the Earth’s magnetopshere are said by Svensmark to cause modulations of GCR’s (Galactic Cosmic Rays) and hence modulation of cloud condensation nuclei, resulting in variations of global cloudiness, and hence surface temperature.When the sun is active the magnetic field is "stronger" and so is the shield, and as a result FEWER GCR arrives in the vicinity of Earth creating less cloudiness and higher temperatures. When the solar activity is low, the shield is weaker, and more GCR arrives which inturn create more cloudiness and lower temperatures.Based on past climate history and solar history, if in fact the suns magnetic activity slows, or collapses and we enter a prolonged period of little or no sunspot activity, we’ll see a global cooling trend.

spaceweather.com...
sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...
www.nasa.gov...
www.nasa.gov...
www.spacecenter.dk...
www.spacecenter.dk...
ff.org...

[edit on 17-12-2008 by meaguire]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I always wonder if 2012 is just a starting point for all these amazing events or just the ending of all events and life.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I know that my PM-1401GN neutron detector is often effected by cosmic rays and the only thing that stops them is a shield material with a large neutron cross section such as boron. It is supposed to only pick up gamma and neutron energies but the cosmic rays also are noticed. I have been having about the same background levels at sea level so this breach is not effecting cosmic ray levels that reach the ground.

Of course at ground level what we might think of as cosmic rays could actually be from other sources like nuclear waste stored at reactor sites. Those neutrons can travel a great distance from their source and most people are not aware of that.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Originally posted by squiz

No magnetosphere no atmosphere, so yes it does protect us. it will deflect the solar wind depending on the polarity of the interplanetary magnetic field. otherwise it redirects the particles along the field earths lines at the poles to cause aurora.
I'm a little confused at what your saying here. Or are you talking about uv radiation?

Yeah, the solar wind isn't composed of high energy particles of the likes of cosmic rays, however there are solar cosmic rays (stupid name) from flares. depends on your definition of high energy I guess, solar cosmic rays can be up to 10 billion eV. I'd call that high energy.

The magnetosphere is not the only protection from the solar wind. Venus has no planetary magnetosphere and has a dense atmosphere. In lieu of a planetary magnetic field, an induced magnetic field forms, produced by interactions between the solar wind and the ionosphere. It would take a very long time with no planetary magnetosphere for our atmosphere to be stripped away if it happened at all.

I'm talking about both UV radiation and high energy particles (both cosmic rays and the high energy particles from the sun). The magnetosphere does intercept some of these but even if it didn't, the atmosphere still would. The atmosphere can deal with high energy particles better than the magnetosphere can. Of course, in case of a gamma ray burst or some other truly awesome event, neither our magnetosphere nor our atmosphere would help. But for the ordinary, everyday stuff, the atmosphere works fine.

[edit on 12/16/2008 by Phage]

>> What about the interaction of the Magnetic field to create lighting? As I understand it, they now believe that we have "space lightning" or more accurately, discharges between clouds and space. The other end -- what we see, is the discharge of the cloud to the earth. It isn't friction causing this.

We get our ozone from lightning -- and THIS is what helps the atmosphere shield us.

At a guess from what I've read, without the Magnetosphere, the ionosphere might be depleted in about 10 or more years.

Venus may have a heavy atmosphere -- but it is very different, and I don't know if it stops a lot of the UV rays with anything more than lots of sulfuric soot.

>> What do you think?

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by meaguireBased on past climate history and solar history, if in fact the suns magnetic activity slows, or collapses and we enter a prolonged period of little or no sunspot activity, we’ll see a global cooling trend.

not good... that will give the Global Warming crowds something to think about...

But also this...

In Antarctica they are drilling down to Lake Vostok, a fresh water non frozen lake beneath the ice at Vostok Base.

This lake has not seen the light of day for 420,000 years. The drill core samples thus give us an accurate picture of the temperatures on Earth for the last 415,000 years

Here is the chart... notice where we are today on it...

Now its really weird because its SNOWING heavily outside right now... fluffy white stuff... people pushing snow off their cars... I expect pictures all over the internet tomorrow...

Its a rare day we see a little snow in Vegas but THIS?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join