It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Giant Breach in Earth's Magnetic Field

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by UFOTECH

Is there any trace of Boron in tinfoil?
I need a new hat, gloves and some underpants.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by UFOTECH
I know that my PM-1401GN neutron detector is often effected by cosmic rays and the only thing that stops them is a shield material with a large neutron cross section such as boron. It is supposed to only pick up gamma and neutron energies but the cosmic rays also are noticed. I have been having about the same background levels at sea level so this breach is not effecting cosmic ray levels that reach the ground.

Of course at ground level what we might think of as cosmic rays could actually be from other sources like nuclear waste stored at reactor sites. Those neutrons can travel a great distance from their source and most people are not aware of that.

>> I'm wondering of "breach" is the right word. It probably is more like a Gap. The sun-ward side of the field is intact.

If there were a huge solar flare, say on the 16th, it might have charged up the magnetosphere, or "pushed it" -- and so perhaps, having a big gap after such an event is just something they never noticed before.

I don't think we've been accurately looking at the Magnetosphere more than 30 years, possibly less than 20. So this might just be a surprising event for NASA to witness. We don't know the implications yet.

I would say that NO MAGNETOSPHERE would be a huge issue OVER TIME. Meaning, that we would lose some upper atmosphere to cosmic wind, and that we might have a severe reduction in lightning -- reducing our ozone levels.

But other than interacting to create our REAL PROTECTION; the ionosphere -- the Magnetosphere is protecting satellites and unshielded electronics -- but correct me if I'm wrong on this -- I'm not an expert, I just pay attention.

But, no dire consequences or disasters related to this.

>> It's more of a worry if our magnetic field on earth changes poles. That probably has a long -- for humans anyway -- time to re-adjust. So years of animals getting confused on migration, years of strange weather, years of an increase in UV load due to reduced Ozone. It would be survivable, but not a fun prospect with our current situation and technology.

But no real evidence of that so far -- because nobody really knows what to look for that signals a pole change.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
HAARP doesn't have enough strength to do anything.
Just like the hardon collider can't produce black holes. They can't even make it work.

The Earth is communicating with the rest of the solar system seeking advice what to do with us.
Sol can eradicate us in a second. We better pray.
We also get very often within Jupiter's magnetic influence.
We are not alone.
We don't know anything about planetary or solar intelligence.
Lets not fool ourselves that we are the God given super intelligence of this Universe.
Every day there is some surprise for scientists from cosmos.
Not long ago there were inexplicable dark rivers at the end of Universe.
Then there was an every 8 minutes special direct contact with Sol.
Now Earth's magnetosphere spreading open waiting for message.
They are having a love affair and may have another favorite child very soon.
What do we know blinded with our own delusions...

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Wow 4 pages long. I only read the first page so far zorgon, but I have to say a while ago I posted on the EQ web bot thread about discovering one of my favorite sites had added a new watch area which included Geomagnetic storm monitoring, radio blackouts and Solar radiation storms.

Good to keep an eye out and have a deep cave system to enter safely in the event of a bad one.

Scroll down towards the bottom of the page.
visz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by VitriolAndAngst
>> What about the interaction of the Magnetic field to create lighting? As I understand it, they now believe that we have "space lightning" or more accurately, discharges between clouds and space. The other end -- what we see, is the discharge of the cloud to the earth. It isn't friction causing this.

We get our ozone from lightning -- and THIS is what helps the atmosphere shield us.

At a guess from what I've read, without the Magnetosphere, the ionosphere might be depleted in about 10 or more years.

Venus may have a heavy atmosphere -- but it is very different, and I don't know if it stops a lot of the UV rays with anything more than lots of sulfuric soot.

>> What do you think?

Are you talking about what are called "blue jets"? Really interesting and supposedly quite rare. They are seen from the tops of cumulonimbus clouds and reach to the lowest parts of ionosphere.

The ozone layer is actually part of the stratosphere, below the ionosphere. You are correct about the ozone layer protecting us from UV radiation. Lightning does produce ozone but most of the ozone in the ozone layer is produced by the UV radiation itself. In the process of protecting us, ozone is constantly created and destroyed by the UV radiation.

I wouldn't even guess at how long the atmosphere would last without the magnetosphere but fortunately I don't think we really have to worry about it. This breach in the magnetosphere didn't last long and, as I understand it, it didn't allow the solar wind to affect the atmosphere anyway.

[edit on 12/17/2008 by Phage]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

Calebans?
Frank Herbert told us about them in the 70's.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
surface temperature is effected due to cosmic rays entering the ionosphere, modulating cloud condensation nuclei CDN.
More CDN, more cloudiness causing higher reflectivity thereby ejecting solar radiation into space hence lower surface temperature. The reverse is true, more active sunpot activity, reduced GCR penetrating a higher magnetic shield, causing lower CDN inturn heating the surface through trapped radiation in the atmosphere ie greenhouse effect and a heated ionosphere affecting the surface temperature.

"Temperature enhancement induced by ionosphere heating in low altitude region"
www.sciencedirect.com... 1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=a7197aad2ded20220703ba24bd2f8bb1

The ionosphere is directly linked with the magnetosphere it may be pertinant to add that the ionosphere is at its lowest recorded level coinciding with the break in the magnetosphere.

"Boundary Between Earth's Upper Atmosphere And Space Has Moved To Extraordinarily Low Altitudes, NASA Instruments Document"
www.sciencedaily.com...

"Magnetosphere-ionosphere interactions —near-Earth manifestations of the plasma Universe"
www.springerlink.com...
www.qsl.net...
adsabs.harvard.edu...

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Brings back memories...
I read most of FH books, and the Whipping Star too.

But here I'm trying to get a faint scent of beyond human intelligence which we most probably can't comprehend.
There are so many things we miss, and mostly because we madly project our lowly political short term interests on practically everything.

Meditation and equilibrium are lost for our civilization. Spirituality is evicted.
We have lost contact (like Contact from Zemeckis...)

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

Father Sol having a chat with his daughter Gaia?
I can dig it.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Could this condition have anything to do with the Maya Calendar ending 2/12/2012? To get the detail Google this date.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by meaguireBased on past climate history and solar history, if in fact the suns magnetic activity slows, or collapses and we enter a prolonged period of little or no sunspot activity, we’ll see a global cooling trend.

Now its really weird because its SNOWING heavily outside right now... fluffy white stuff... people pushing snow off their cars... I expect pictures all over the internet tomorrow...

Its a rare day we see a little snow in Vegas but THIS?

I agree!

A quote from Phil Chapman is a geophysicist and astronautical engineer who lives in San Francisco. He was the first Australian to become a NASA astronaut.
The Greenland and Antarctic ice cores and other evidence show that for the past several million years, severe glaciation has almost always afflicted our planet.

The bleak truth is that, under normal conditions, most of North America and Europe are buried under about 1.5km of ice. This bitterly frigid climate is interrupted occasionally by brief warm interglacials, typically lasting less than 10,000 years.

The interglacial we have enjoyed throughout recorded human history, called the Holocene, began 11,000 years ago, so the ice is overdue. We also know that glaciation can occur quickly: the required decline in global temperature is about 12C and it can happen in 20 years. It must be noted that the cooling in 2007 was even faster than in typical glacial transitions

and were still waiting for the sun to fire up!

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
All this comes in concert with the news that the protective "bubble" around our solar system (the heliosphere) is also continuing to weaken.

ATS thread about that is here:
Sun's protective 'bubble' is shrinking - NASA will launch mission to study

You can see my thoughts in my post HERE but in doing research for my post I ran across an interesting news story about the degradation of this protective "bubble" and how it could translate to another mass extinction.. Because from what scientists can tell, the last time this kind of massive degradation occurred it correlated with a mass extinction on earth.... I thought that was interesting considering all the talk about 2012!

-ChriS

[edit on 17-12-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
So how long would one have to survive this event?

Could you go underground until the next solar minimum or would that not be enough?

Also are there area which will be greater or less affected by this? i think of the Bushes buying hundreds of acres in south america this past year.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I just had a thought, and I a no expert. But if this hole conitnues to spread as it starts to pass around the earth it might be the thing that causes a polar shift.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by razorvocals

The "hole" happened a year and a half ago. It's not there anymore.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by DangerDeath
We also get very often within Jupiter's magnetic influence.

We DO?

Hey Phage did you know about this?

BTW Nice avatar

[edit on 18-12-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Nope. But I like Calebans and their ilk.

Props and thanks to greeneyedleo for the avatar upgrade.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by unknown known
reply to post by johnsky

Are you sad about the up coming solar storms?

Sad? Heck no.

If there's going to be solar storms wreaking havoc on earth, I stand to make ALLOT of money from it!

Imagine everyone with electronic equipment they can't use, and I've got the training to degauss anything I'm given!

The worlds addicted to electronics...
... and I'm their dealer.

If there's going to be solar storms, BRING EM ON!
I'll own my own small country in a week!

But no. There aren't going to be any major cataclysmic solar storms.

So I guess you could say I'm sad that I know nothing bad is going to happen.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I'd like to know when the govt uses that HAARP technology if thats the same thing? It shots the microwaves up into the atmosphere and tears through it? Can somebody explain both?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join