It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Giant Breach in Earth's Magnetic Field

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
This is why I want to laugh when ppl treat science like some kind of ----- religion

Everyday they find out they are wrong about something they were so sure about.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

The big discovery came on June 3, 2007, when the five probes serendipitously flew through the breach just as it was opening.
science.nasa.gov...
The "hole" appeared a year and a half ago.

MAJOR FLARE: Earth-orbiting satellites detected a major X9-class solar flare this morning at 1035 UT (5:35 a.m. EST).
spaceweather.com...

The flare and the surprising observation occurred two years ago. The paper about the flare was just released. See, unlike some, scientists don't jump to conclusions about their observations. They analyze and consider the data before they come up with theories. That's how science works. And you know what? No one is more delighted by being surprised than scientists.

[edit on 12/17/2008 by Phage]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
This s actually the first thing I thought of when the news came out about the missing acorns. I thought it sounded like areas of the earth were exposed to radiation in amounts strong enough to render the trees sterile. My first thought was cosmic rays, reaching the earth in disparate locations. I think this is the first manifestation of the magnetic polar shift.

Just speculation and I haven't read ll the posts in the thread ... my two cents.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
So I take it that we need hide underground in order to avoid getting fried alive. But I'd like to keep a positive outlook amidst the apparent danger of solar storms being presented by the scientific community. I see the 'breachmodel' images are from NASA. That does not offer me much comfort other than perhaps another 'hoax' could be involved here. Meh!

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by warrenb
so what does this all mean?

Cancel Xmas?

That hole is right over the North Pole

Nah it's just Santa's way of decreasing the density of the atmosphere in an effort to see if presents delivered could be delivered even faster by using the suns power.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Well I hope you all stocked up on sunblock...

No, magnetic field breach won't mean more harmful radiation from sun. BUT certain magnetic activities could trigger x-rays or gamma rays which a sunblock lotion could hardly protect you against.

But that is the least of your problem. More and stronger geomagnetic storms could trigger the end of the 'silicon age'. No more computers, cellphones, ipods.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Caption
Above: A computer model of solar wind flowing around Earth's magnetic field on June 3, 2007. Background colors represent solar wind density; red is high density, blue is low. Solid black lines trace the outer boundaries of Earth's magnetic field. Note the layer of relatively dense material beneath the tips of the white arrows; that is solar wind entering Earth's magnetic field through the breach. Credit: Jimmy Raeder/UNH.

Somethings not right here. A Magnetic field doesn't just stop at a boundary it decreases in intensity the further away from the source ie the earth. So the black line cannot be Earths magnetic boundary. It may indicate a certain field strength though. So that said this means that the interpretation of the solar wind "crossing" the boundary is not as apoplectic as it sounds.

The solar wind always enters the earths atmosphere! If it didn't there would be no Northern or Southern Auroras.

There is an interesting story here but as it is currently being told.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Just like I've seen in my dreams.
The Sun is going to appear much bigger, there will be chaos and people will run for cover underground ...

endgame is near my friends

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I wouldn't worry most scientists are useless.They just repeat anothers work untill the next tesler,einstein,hawkins,ect..comes along to advance them further.hahahaha.....Stupid scientists.ha.......

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle
The Sun is going to appear much bigger, there will be chaos and people will run for cover underground ...

Why is this kind of post tolerated now? Surely a mod should just delete this? This board has gone seriously downhill in the last two years.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Ever seen the sun at sunset? ever wonder why it appears bigger then?

The atmosphere actually slightly magnifies the sun, so if the atmosphere is disappearing the sun won't appear bigger, it will actually appear smaller.

Ignorant fear mongering much?

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Hahahaha, good one. It was a joke right?

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Wow, magnosphere, now we have something else to worry about. I thought the ozone protected us from the suns radiation. I guess the magnosphere protects the ozone.

I thought Mars couldn't hold on to an atmosphere because Mars doesn't have an iron core like the Earth, and therefore lacks the magnetic field strength to hang onto an atmosphere, or I guess to create an magnosphere. Pretty much seems to support the idea that gravity is created by magnetics, and is therefore electrical.

Hmm, square core which is alive, and is god or the devil. I thought the Earth was our mother. I guess it is all a matter or perspective.

It is very funny how that 2012 number keeps popping up all over the place.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Question Fate
This is why I want to laugh when ppl treat science like some kind of ----- religion

Everyday they find out they are wrong about something they were so sure about.

Wait. What? That's what absolute knowledge is all about. When was the last time so called "religion" tried to "find out" something questionable? Never. They just leave it on God's doorstep and expect him to answer. At least these scientists are giving us *evidence* of what's really going on. It's a shame this so called "religion" can't do the same.

Btw, this is why I want to laugh when people treat religion as some kind of ---- science.

Everyday we find out something they were so sure about, was wrong.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Ever seen the sun at sunset? ever wonder why it appears bigger then?

The atmosphere actually slightly magnifies the sun, so if the atmosphere is disappearing the sun won't appear bigger, it will actually appear smaller.

Ignorant fear mongering much?

I have always had recurring dreams of the future and premonitions and they always happen. I have seen this Sun tragedy many years ago and everything is unfolding quickly. I am not fearmongering, I dont have a blog or selling anything, check my post history and you will see I very rarely mention any of my experiences. I do not want to convince anybody, just a waste of time to be honest. That is not my goal. I learned that what is meant to happen will happen, can't change the course of a written future.

When I am talking about a bigger Sun I mean something like at least 3 times its size and in broad day. I am not trying to give a scientific reason to that but thats what I saw; moreover solar flares can make the sun look bigger(?). Dismiss me with respect but please dont call me ignorant. Thank you

[edit on 17-12-2008 by TheOracle]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

That number has caused an uproar with so many,I was told 2012 is nearer than we think.They know what we're gonna say even before we say it,,they have our future in their hands,until we sort a mess out on Earth,,even those beleivers will be shocked when it finally arrives,,,that could mean 100's of things to.

One word can mean so many things - God

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
This didn't just happen over night. If it has been there for some time and there has been no problems, then what is to say that there will be problems? Maybe it won't effect us at all....... Who knows

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by InterestedObserver
reply to post by dooper

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm sure if it gets to the point where it is life-threatening we will think of some sort of shielding that would block most of the radiation. We are the most versatile and inventive species that's ever existed.

....That you know of.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join