It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon Woman Loses $400,000 to Nigerian E-Mail Scam

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I used to work for Relay, which is a communications system for the deaf and hard of hearing. Unfortunately, anyone (whether they are deaf or not) can log into and use the website, and almost every other call we would get would be nigerians using the internet to buy puppies, batteries, glucose monitors (?) and all kinds of weird crap. We had to put the calls through because of FCC laws. It's just disgusting that they would use something for the deaf for their stupid scams.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I cant believe she fell for this. Hello arent we all aware of this scam. I actually got my email hacked by these people and sent an email to all my contacts stating that i was in UK and needed $2500 to get back home. But no one fell for it. If she got scamed she deserved it, how can anyone be that stupid? If any of my family members contacted me thru email asking me for money i would ask other family members and investigate on my own.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by veranda
I used to work for Relay, which is a communications system for the deaf and hard of hearing. Unfortunately, anyone (whether they are deaf or not) can log into and use the website, and almost every other call we would get would be nigerians using the internet to buy puppies, batteries, glucose monitors (?) and all kinds of weird crap. We had to put the calls through because of FCC laws. It's just disgusting that they would use something for the deaf for their stupid scams.

I am replacing my last post with a rtraction as i did not know the ats filter would sencor the word n i g e r, as it is a country and not a racial slur.

[edit on 11/18/2008 by Finn1916]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
reply to post by gullychief

Did you see the pick of the whole family with fish on their heads???LOL These folks will do anything to try to get you to bite!!

Zindo

I still am trying to get one to wear a diaper and pose for a photo for my 419 collection.

The first thing i do with these 419 scammer is tell them i don't trust them and to prove they are not scammers they should send me $50 cash.

After about 120 tries i have collected $250 from these 419 scammers.

This only proves some of the 419 scammers are stupid too.

if you don't believe me try it yourself set up a disposable email address and reply to the scammer with it and after a while one will be stupid enough to send the $50 dollars.

one of the thing i have been trying to do is get a group of anti scammers tougher to set up a Nigerian 419 email provider.

if we can get the Nigerians to believe they have a email service that will do things like allow them to change there email address to appear to be sent from anywhere in the world,
plus many other tricks they can use to make it easy for them to run there scams.

once we get them sign up on our email system then we control the them.
and can intercept there outgoing emails and add a signature line to all there outgoing emails telling the recipient that the email is from a 419 scammer.

and we can intercept there incoming emails and change them slightly so that they can not use the informention they get.
things like changing the western union number so that there money becomes undeliverable. ETC

i believe a small group of 419 baiters running a Nigerian 419 email provider
could cut the money going to Nigeria by 90%

get some White hat hackers on-board and we could eradicate the 419 scammers by penetrating there Internet cafes and taking over the computers in them.
we could make the use of stolen credit card numbers that the Nigerians use worthless by changing the numbers in route to there targets we could corrupt much of there data and they would never know.

[edit on 18-11-2008 by ANNED]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
You can't cheat an honest woman.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReelView
You can't cheat an honest woman.

Otherwise known as proof of impossibility.

(not a one line post)........ Oh no I didn't just go there girlfriend

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
There should be some kind of test for folks who have never used the internet.
Because the place is rife with crooks just waiting for the naive.

Greed is a killer! lol

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I was getting those for a while. So I'z told them that I knew guys in the MI6 that would gladly give them trouble and the E-Mails stooped coming.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
omg.. so much money and so little mind

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I got tired of being offered billions in cash... I decided to fight back, and offer them fake stock. Oddly.... the amount of scam emails I got went waaaaaay down.

Sometimes, art can be a powerful weapon.

Why only part of it is showing up is beyond me.

[edit on 20-11-2008 by wylekat]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
if she can clear up a 400k debt in two years then you'd think they're on a good thing as it is. people making that kind of money aren't generally so stupid ... sounds like there's a bit more to this story. hmm.

feel for the husband, he's probably the poor sucker who'll be paying it back.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join