It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thoughts/Opinions as to WHY Abductions may happen to specific people/families

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by alien

Read David Icke's books.

Certain families have the desired DNA pattern to allow a melding of alien / human genes.

Possibly certain family traits are higher intellegence, non questioning authority, even a resistence to certain bacteria / virus strains.

Another trait could be the ability to be semi-multidimensional.

Firstly to the OP. Great Idea for a thread. I have been interested in this phenomena(alien abduction) for quite some time and its great to see some fresh takes and new angles on the topic. S&F.

The genetic link or importance when looking at motive or reason behind the Alien Abductions is one I have constantly come across.
While it is easy for David Ike to hypothesis that there is a genetic link, so far none has been found. Why is that?
DNA profiling is not a new science, nor is it inaccessible. If there is a history of incidence within specific family trees than the DNA link should now be easy to profile, isolate and then test for and compare to other Non-abductees to show what is significant in the DNA structure of Abductees. This would help put this theory beyond any doubt.

To claim there is a genetic link is not a random one, nor is it in the same realm as personal testimony( which is easily dismissed by sceptics). When Alien Abduction researchers and theorists(like Ike, Hopkins, Mack, Jacobs) make a claim of genetic links, then it is crucial to support this, otherwise it ends up making the field look ridiculous.

Now if as some of these researchers think, that Aliens are running experiments, cross breeding or altering our species( many abductions have testimonies of experiments, sexual encounters, and medical procedures.) than that implies a level of compatibility with our own DNA and the ET's alleged to be performing these abductions. This hits another problem because a lot of scientist hypothesis that life on other planets, if it exists, will be highly unlikely to be anything like ours, so already the mainstream is against this theory by using its own rational against compatible life forms from other planets and galaxies(but that is logical and not unusual to hear theses arguments).
But this hits another snag, some believe that we are created by ET's and so our DNA and theirs is every where. But if they are selecting specific individual or families then there is some DNA significance that in shown by the Alien Abduction experience.
This then would be evident by cross referencing and DNA evidence of Abductees, ET's and those not effected by Alien Abduction. As there is theoretically a family link, this will be more evident in family lines and indisputable.

But there is a problem. We have no Alien DNA to investigate and compare abductees and their families too.
Although we do have many abductees and non-abductees. We can simply cross reference these DNA profiles and try and find significant differences or perhaps alien DNA structures in one set of the profile samples. So we whittle the process down to target our research.
My question is, Why has this not happened yet, why are these Abductee researchers not following the logical progression of investigation of their theories and claims?
Why have family genealogy and history not been investigated more thoroughly?
This is the kind of evidence that sceptics would listen too, and it is not being pursued. Why not?
In 1992 Peter Khoury, from Australia, claimed he was visited by two naked women, one nordic looking and the other of asian appearance who appeared out of nowhere and left just as mysteriously. Mr Khoury has claimed that he has had many other abduction experiences. I think it is important to add that, at the time of this incident, Mr Khoury was recovering from a head injury from a work site.
What was significant about this incident was that Mr Khoury found hairs wrapped around his genitals, which he put in a bag and kept. A Test was applied to the case of Australian Peter Khoury. A hair that was said to be left behind from Mr. Khoury's experience. There where some strange findings at the time, although it was human, it was said to come from a strange line of race. I cannot find any word on weather is was cross referenced with Peters, perhaps it could be cross referenced with other abductees and their family to see if there is a link. Remember, the DNA was said to be from a strange line, if this line pops up in Abductees and their families!.

In Australia we have a group called APEG, which was formed to investigate real evidence left behind from Cases. But, abduction cases are either rare in Australia or are just unreported.

Look how easy it is to look at your own DNA.
www.dna-worldwide.com...
www.dnaancestors.com...

On another view of this phenomena, what if abductees all have a common gene that puts them at risk of experiencing Alien Abduction, but one that has a biochemical, physiological or biological explanation. Think of what that implies?

Cool thread OP.

p.s. remember use spell check before you hit post button= no edits.

[edit on 15-11-2008 by atlasastro]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   

I enjoy reading books by Michio Kaku, Stephen Hawking, and Brian Greene in what little spare time I get but that's the extent to which I am familiar with higher dimensions. I am a scientist in a field that would be expected, given my own early childhood experiences. One of my earliest memories involves a black and white patterned room that seemed to cave in as I approached the corner
reply to post by X-tal_Phusion

Hi X-tal,

Dito your opinion on Hawking and Kaku from my perspective as is reflected in my profile. Your black and white experience reminds me of many, many encounters I had growing up and even in adulthood. I was torn from reality and my memory was replaced by a very strange vision of stars and planets zooming by. I resisted these encounters to no avail.
Now I realize these experiences were very likely an abduction with blocked memory.

My friend with much experience in the field of ETs, abductions, etc. had this to say about ETs. "There are so many ETs around you can hardly spit without hitting one!"

Why so many of them? See my original post. They have a big job to do and many people/ souls to serve.

Little doubt you are involved in the abduction process and you have 'Friends in high places". But it is important to realize that what you experienced is common and for some reason you have some memory of it. You were probably left the memory for a purpose, ie. to explore as you are doing. This is part of the very slow process of disclosure.

So sit back and enjoy the ride!

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Roufas

It is interesting that you say "It seems that if you use your experiences with them to get insight on what their intentions truly are and/or resist it , they stop happening."

That could be seen as congruant with my own experiences, which I'll expand upon later.

This bit however: "people tend to think they are special for being chosen etc , but you are just "another one" to them :/ sorry " ...is something I'd somewhat debate.

Very few of those I have spoken with whom feel may be Abductees see themselves as 'special' by their possible experiences...in fact they see those experiences as something that certainly wish never happened. Many state that they would much prefer to just be ordinary old run-of-the-mill people with ordinary old run-of-the-mill experiences.
Very few of them seem to wish any attention at all, in fact quite the opposite, they seek to almost become nothing, noone of any importance, to just blend into the background and arouse no interest whatsoever. Many wish they could effectively *disappear* and be of no consequence to others at all.
They seek no attention, no energy/sympathy/whatever from others, no *glory*, no kudos, nothing.

Maybe that desire to be less than special, to be less than normal, less noticed, less conspicuous is a coping and/or defence mechanism...to disappear and so perhaps also no longer be noticed by whomever/whatever they *feel* may have 'abducted' them.

I certainly acknowledge that some do...however that could be seen as a commonality for all humanity...be ye Abductee or not.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by lightchild

Would really be keen to hear more about your 'sub species' theory...so please if you wish to share more on that, I'd be all ears!

Also the sitting up awake *waiting* bit. Heres an occurance where a group of friends and I stayed awake, kept *gaurd* over a sleeping friend who was experiencing a spate of what he believed were abductions.

This happened, oh, approx 10 years ago. A friend of ours was experiencing possible abductions. He was incredibly traumatised...not only by what snippets he could recall, but also very much by things he *felt* happened but had no recollection of at all.
He had identified a common factor to these experiences - they predominately occured immediately following a new moon.
So our plan was that a group of us would simply stay awake and keep gaurd on him...see what happened.
We sprinkled flour around the place (to show footprints), we had a camera ready to take pictures, heh we even had a shotgun ready to see if ET or his buddies can cop a load of 00-buck.

The 1st night of a new moon nothing happened. Next night, nothing. 3rd night, not a bean. He had never experienced any possible abductions after the 3rd night following any new moon, so we didn't keep watch the 4th night. Nothing happened the following nights either.

The next new moon rolled around. Same deal as before. Not a hair.

Next new moon however something did happen. It was the 2nd night of the new moon...would have been around 2am in the morning. There was one of our group in his bedroom keeping watch while he slept. The rest of us were down the hallway in the dining room/kitchen area playing cards, drinking coffee and generally shooting the breeze. We hear our friend whom was 'on watch' for that hour walking down the hallway. Straight away we're like "Dude, what are you doing, you DON'T leave the man alone...you wait till one of us comes and relieves you!"

Our friend just looked almost groggy, his face was quite pale. We asked if he was okay. He said "Yeah. I'm fine. I'm just going to the toilet". ...but he said it slowly, just unnervingly slowly. Another one of our group just leapt up with a "Bros some sh*t is going down here" and started running down towards our sleeping friend with the rest of us bailing down after him.
We get into our friends bedroom and he is sitting upright in his bed, eyes wide-open and hyper-ventilating. He's holding his chest and just near screaming - yet in a quite high-pitched squeaky voice - repeating "Did you see that. Oh sh*t can you see it. Can you see my chest!"

We looked at his chest. Nothing there out of the ordinary. Then he said "Feel it! Feel my chest!"...which we did...and it was like feeling ice. His whole upper torso was ice-cold. I don't mean mildly cold (and no it wasn't a cold night at all), but like seriously touching the inside of a freezer kind of cold. It was like that for maybe 30 seconds before returning back to normal body temp.

Our other friend, the one who was supposed to be on watch walks back in the bedroom and is like "Whats going on? Did something happen?". We call him a few choice names and after our sleeping friend had calmed down and stopped freaking we all went back to the dining room to *debrief*.

Some things that night:
- Our sleeping friend didn't recall any dreams, or saw anything/body/entity. He simply recalls waking with an intense cold feeling in his chest and swears black and blue that his chest was actually pulsing/radiating a dull blue/greenish *aura* of sorts momentarily before we all came storming into his room.
- Our friend who had 'deserted his post' to go to the toilet doesn't remember doing so. He remembers sitting there next to our sleeping friend. Then remembers standing in the bathroom hearing the commotion in the bedroom. He remembers NOTHING in between, not leaving the bedroom, not telling us he was going to the toilet, nothing. It was like a blink of an eye for him.

...granted there are some possible logical explanations for this:
- Our friend on watch was sleep-walking to the toilet.
- Our sleeping friend just had some wierd body temperature regulation issue...it happens.
- Any number of other possibilities...but ya know, I've seen some freaky crap in my time, but yeah that night is certainly up there on the freak-o-meter.

Sorry people...need to get some rest right now. Will reply when I can tomorrow.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by alien

Yeah sorry
, I didn't mean to generalize as generalizing is always bad , I am aware also that many abductees wish it never happenned but I would say they are "receptive" somehow to them!

It certainly boogled me as to why it is that they seem to stop happenning if you get stronger mentally and/or try to find out more about them. As optmist as you are , no good theories come out of this lol

I have been a lot interested in psionism lately , and I read a few things , it seems you can't "erase" a memory from someone else , but you can block some and even "implant" false ones in someone's head. That would require some wild telephatic skills though. I imagine they would be somewhat more advanced than we are in that department.

It could cover why some people can remember experiences through regresive hypnosis (must remember memory block can also be caused by huge traumas though!) and why some think they had "a good time , and they are all about love" , even though they are probing your ass and sick stuff like that lol

You can also prevent being fooled by those if you are strong yourself.

So , if they want the path of less resistance , which would be the most logical , you leave that person alone and go after the other thousand that are not aware of a mind environment at all! You know , most people I know think the mind business is bogus , I can assure you that is not the case.

There are even many studies made to prove telepathy and clairvoyance , not super skills on the average Joe , but more like a potential. As far as I know you aren't supposed to know what happens before you see it (according to science!) , though in these , quite a few people seemed to have reactions prior to the ocurrance. Interesting thing to research , there are pretty serious people studying that , and they cover most if not all ways of possibilities that the explanations cannot be gotten through.

Maybe these skills were just supposed to be there for everyone , but us humans got a bit rusty on that department :x ... or maybe there is something else that has been trying to stop us from getting these back

[edit on 15-11-2008 by Roufas]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by alien

My opinion on the matter, and I have thought about this same question over 20 years, is that there are certain genetic markers in our DNA that they are looking for. They either know our bloodlines or are able to scan us for the markers, thus making their choices easier.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by alien

I don't know if I have ever been abducted. Let me explain. I had a "missing time" episode while I was alone once on a deserted highway late at night.

Only a half hour of time went missing. I remember looking at my watch, then the next thing I remember is looking at my watch again, but almost exactly one half hour of time was gone.

There is no recollection of any strange lights or beings. But. who knows. When I looked at my watch the second time I was still pretty much in the same place as the first time.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by atlasastro
The genetic link or importance when looking at motive or reason behind the Alien Abductions ... David Ike to hypothesis that there is a genetic link, so far none has been found. Why is that? DNA profiling is not a new science, nor is it inaccessible. If there is a history of incidence within specific family trees than the DNA link should now be easy to profile, isolate and then test for and compare to other Non-abductees to show what is significant in the DNA structure of Abductees. To claim there is a genetic link is not a random one, nor is it in the same realm as personal testimony( which is easily dismissed by sceptics). When Alien Abduction researchers and theorists(like Ike, Hopkins, Mack, Jacobs) make a claim of genetic links, then it is crucial to support this, otherwise it ends up making the field look ridiculous.[edit on 15-11-2008 by atlasastro]

I wholeheartedly agree! Since Jacobs still works at Temple, there is no reason why he wouldn't have asked a colleague to run a few samples for him! Since he is a professor of history, I understand why he couldn't just do it himself but still, to make these claims without further supporting evidence is just plain irresponsible and does a disservice to the field. Hopkins was an artist and author first before anything else (I do not believe he is qualified to be conducting regressions but that's another issue entirely). Furthermore, it is possible to purchase kits and equipment that would be required to undertake these sorts of studies so there isn't much of an excuse for not doing them. Heck! I'd do it myself if I wasn't struggling to get my own company off the ground! As a relatively young scientist, I'm still trying to establish my reputation as an independent researcher. I need to publish more hard science in my established field before pursuing something risky like this (risky to my career, that is).

Originally posted by atlasastroNow if as some of these researchers think, that Aliens are running experiments, cross breeding or altering our species( many abductions have testimonies of experiments, sexual encounters, and medical procedures.) than that implies a level of compatibility with our own DNA ... a lot of scientist hypothesis that life on other planets, if it exists, will be highly unlikely to be anything like ours[edit on 15-11-2008 by atlasastro]

This is an excellent point. However, the same selection pressures responsible for selecting DNA may have been in place at life's origin on an alien world as well. There has been a lot of research into possible alternative genetic systems and this includes some serious study into alternative nucleic acids which could serve as the primary hereditary unit in life. RNA (ribose nucleic acid) has been studied most intensely and many scientists even buy into the possibility that there was a period in the evolution of life on Earth where RNA, not DNA, served as the unit of inheritance prior to the adoption of DNA. DNA is more stable (thus, have a lower mutation rate), but still requires some assistance from RNA. I won't go too deeply into this here but NASA has been moving away from this model due to the inherent instability of RNA (esp. hydrolysis of it's phosphodiester backbone by minerals such as pyrite which would have made it impractical in a late-Hadean/Early Archaean world.

Other "pre-RNA World" candidates have also been tested. Unlike DNA and RNA, which are composed of 5-carbon sugars, TNA (based on threose; a 4-C sugar), and GNA (based on 3-C glycerol) where looked into, as well as nucleic acids based on peptides (PNA- Peptide Nucleic Acid). A variety of synthetic variations were also investigated but the answer seems pretty clear. If you want to evolve complex life, DNA is your best bet because it is so stable. This is why I would not be surprised to find DNA in an alien organism (particularly a multicellular entity).

Originally posted by atlasastro... cross referencing and DNA evidence of Abductees, ET's and those not effected by Alien Abduction. As there is theoretically a family link, this will be more evident in family lines and indisputable. But... no Alien DNA to investigate and compare abductees and their families too... We can simply cross reference these DNA profiles and try and find significant differences or perhaps alien DNA structures in one set of the profile samples. So we whittle the process down to target our research. Why has this not happened yet, why are these Abductee researchers not following the logical progression of investigation of their theories and claims? Why have family genealogy and history not been investigated more thoroughly? This is the kind of evidence that sceptics would listen too, and it is not being pursued. Why not?[edit on 15-11-2008 by atlasastro]

This is a problem but, like you said, we can still compare abductees to a control group (assuming that abductees would be correctly identified and that no one in the control group is oblivious to the fact that they are in the wrong group). We would have to screen both groups thoroughly (as best we can) to ensure full segregation of these 2 groups. This should include genealogies, psych evals, etc.

To be continued...

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Cont'd from above...

Originally posted by atlasastroPeter Khoury... claimed he was visited by two naked women, one nordic looking and the other of asian appearance who appeared out of nowhere and left just as mysteriously... Mr Khoury was recovering from a head injury from a work site... found hairs wrapped around his genitals, which he put in a bag and kept. A Test was applied to the case of Australian Peter Khoury... strange findings at the time, although it was human, it was said to come from a strange line of race. I cannot find any word on weather is was cross referenced with Peters, perhaps it could be cross referenced with other abductees and their family to see if there is a link. Remember, the DNA was said to be from a strange line, if this line pops up in Abductees and their families!.[edit on 15-11-2008 by atlasastro]

I read about this and found it to be highly suspect. First of all, hair is proteinaceous (that's protein based on amino acids; not DNA based on nucleic acids-- an entirely different class of biomolecule!) so DNA testing is impossible unless hair was torn out by the roots and even then, you would require a fair bit of it in order to perform DNA testing. The impression I got was that this was hair that simply "fell out". Even if I'm wrong about that, a few hairs isn't enough to do a proper profile. That would make cross-referencing of any kind impossible. Since someone made a claim that DNA matched some obscure human lineage, I'm inclined to call this a hoax/fantasy. I don't do that very often but in this case, someone make a very distinct claim and could not possibly have been able to back it up. Everyone's "baloney detector" should have gone off on that one.

Originally posted by atlasastroWhat if abductees all have a common gene that puts them at risk of experiencing Alien Abduction, but one that has a biochemical, physiological or biological explanation. Think of what that implies?

This is precisely why we need to do genetic testing. I have yet to see any studies of this sort (that are not logistically impossible like the one above or where the data is unavailable; conclusions and claims only without revealing their experimental design). Seriously, it's not as if there are any real tricks to performing these tests. It's very straightforward. Selling books is no excuse for failing to do ones homework! This is why I'm so disgusted with the so-called investigators out there today!

[edit on 15-11-2008 by X-tal_Phusion]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
To begin with, they're not all dimensional beings, although what that in itself means is a mystery. But many may be on a different timeline. I read somewhere from a psi contactee that time was like an enternity symbol, a horizontal figure 8, but imagine it very shaggy, as thousands and thousands of fine threads that are timelines. They are very psi and can see into the near future, and they make predictions based on probabilities based on timelines,
80% A, 60% B and so on. Then they do work that tweaks the probability of the outcome they desire. He is was very critical of the motives. So the most likely scenario is that they are from different times and timelines.

The interdimensional aspect is harder for me to understand than the timelines.
The closest thing I can do to see dimensions is not scientific, but simply is to relate to different 3d type dimensions on different frequency, possibly sharing space. There are many that claim some ets are from a higher dimension. Can't see what they're doing with lower dimensional dna, and how usefull such stuff is for their race or home planet.

Reasons why they chose families are far more mysterious. For some its a bloodline or RH negative factor. For others it's due to the whatever traits are needed, ie. aryan or nordic (gl2, the author of alien minds talks about verdants coming from an different galaxy. The greys work for them. Basically they are invaders forcing other planets to join their federation. They win in the deal. They want to access other people's solar system, galaxy's electromagnetic energy, which is the free energy everyone talks about, that clocks the star. It shortens the life the system, eventually the universe. They could be here, time traveling and establishing themselves with ancient people's, myths, creating hybrids that look aryan so we think they're nordic ets, and making contact with us, as well populating whole planets and on different timelines. This could explain why some of the ets claim we are their ancestors, instead of the other way. Because they are hybrids put on a past timeline. They could be playing good cop/bad cop in order to get us in their system and then they can clock the milky way.)

Theres so many theories and agenda possiblities. Gl2's one is based on some testimony for example. My own opinion is that if his is true, its only true to some extent, and that not all the ets, or human looking ones, fit into this negative plan.

Some experiencers are more adjusted than others. Some are truly frightened. This may have to do with the purpose of the abduction. If its just tagging or medical, the person is probably more traumatized than if there was more work of some sort being done.

If some ets are positive, or a neutral positive, as I believe, then examining the motives is really important. For example, this is one of my strong feelings. That galactic law was broken with our weapons, ie nuclear, and space program. It is not an option that we cease. Once we were asked to, and refused, then other work was necessitated. In any case, I see work being done to rid our planet of its cabal, and set up a peoples government world that will bring us into the future and relations with them. The Venus Project is the ultimate goal, as this is how advanced ets live.

Edit to add: the work is being done carefully, as to not contradict, legally, our free will. In other words, behind the scenes to get certain outcomes, doing timeline modification by engaging certain people and changing our mind sets.

[edit on 15-11-2008 by mystiq]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I always thought I was selected because I sort of invited contact when I was a child. When I was very young (under 10) I thought about it and decided that if aliens really existed I'd like to meet one and maybe go see their planet. I kind of sent out an invitation to that effect.

But just recently I discovered a new possible reason, and this is going to sound really, really crazy.

I always knew my grandfather worked in the military, that he was someone of some importance, and that he traveled a lot in his work. However, I hardly knew him and he had been largely estranged from my mom most of my childhood. My mom doesn't talk about him much, she didn't like him. So he was pretty much an enigma to me.

But upon my recent "awakening" (I started to look deeper into abduction and UFO sightings) I told my mom what I was experiencing. I told her a little about some things I had read about EBE's at Papoose Lake and Dulce New Mexico. I asked her if she remembered my childhood abduction experience. She said, "Hell, yes. You scared the crap out of me."

Then she told me, "I've never seen an alien, but I've seen many ufo's in my lifetime. And let me tell you, you know my father worked in military intelligence, and later for the NSA?"

My jaw hit the floor. I'd had no idea.

She continued, "Well one night when I was a teenager, my dad came home and he was shaking. I saw him lock the door behind him and lean up against the wall; something was very wrong; he was in absolute terror. Now, my father had been in war, he had shot people and been in the line of fire; it would take a lot to scare him. He had faced down death before and was as fearless a man as I had ever met. But that night he was so frightened I got really worried. I went up to him and gave him a hug and asked him what was wrong. And you know what he said to me? He said, 'Honestly sweetheart, I can't tell you. But all I can say is if you knew even ten percent of the stuff our government is involved in, you would sh*t your pants.'"

Next she said, "I never found out what he was so afraid of that night. But I knew that it must be something really, really bad to scare him that way. And I have always wondered about it, about what he could have seen that made him so afraid, and it occurred to me that it might be something like what you are telling me."

And that was an eye opener for me.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by X-tal_Phusion

Thanks for your great reply,

I did not realise that the Khoury case was based only the proteins, the pieces i read made the sample seem more significant. I used that case to show two things, one, how little real evidence of this kind there is, and how little is actually done with it when there is evidence presented. I mean why was this evidence not used to find some kind of link, besides simply trying to see if it was alien?Anyway.
I agree with your comments on Jacob and Hopkins. i guess taking up thi kind of investigation is a doubled edge sword, on one hand you may discover something significant to support your beliefs, on the other, your paradigm needs redefining. Perhaps the current paradigm of Abductee research supports income first, and truth second. While abductees are left in the dark, with books to read.

BTW, good luck with your buisness and research.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Schizophrenia can be genetic.
Second line.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Dewm0nster

Would you like to add a little more to that?

Yes indeed there is a school of thought that Mental Illness - including Schizophrenia - may be genetic...well, at least *hand down* a genetic predisposition towards developing certain Mental Illlnesses if there is a family history of such.

Schizophrenia however...indeed like many of the more well-known Mental Illnesses...is an interesting kettle of fish. There are multiple schools of thought that I'm aware of (having been working within the Mental Health sector now for over 13 years...and currently performing acute assessments, provisional diagnosis etc as part of my current role) in relation to it.
Some schools of thought follow the 'nurture vs nature' arguments...that it is perhaps more related to the *context and environment* the person grows up within. Perhaps a possible reason that certain diagnoses are more prevalent within certain families may be attributed to the culture/context/environment that family exists within.
Other schools of thought are that Schizophrenia (and other Illnesses) are more trauma-based...are reactions/coping mechanisms/mind and bodies way of dealing with events...as opposed to simply being 'born' with it.

What is evident to me - and again I am by no means an expert - is that when it comes to the wider sphere of Mental Illness there are so many grey areas. There is so much that is unknown. That you could go down one line of belief/opinion yet there will be another one (equally as valid/sustainable) that counters it.
There is still so much that is 'hit and miss' about it, that is theory, trial and error in regards to how you approach it...which is again understandable as each person is an individual. As such each persons experience is individual. While there may be commonalities, there are also specific differences...

...so at the end of the day I'd personally think it unwise to simply pigeon-hole people and hold any hard and fast rules around what they may or may not experience...because I've certainly seen my fair share of misdiagnosis too within the sector.

However - I wouldn't like to see this thread become a debate about Mental Illness and possible reasons thereof...probably another topic for another forum.

Peace.

[edit on 15-11-2008 by alien]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dewm0nster
Schizophrenia can be genetic.

Actually no one in my family has ever been diagnosed schizophrenic or had any symptoms of schizophrenia, though I had a bipolar relative on my father's side.

The implication that abductees are crazy is not very nice, especially since the initial spirit of this thread was to avoid belittling the abduction experience as imaginary or the abductees as wackos.

But I am sure you didn't mean it that way, right?

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I have no idea of aliens are here and I have no idea what it is that abductees have actually experienced.

Yet I do know this. Since I am more and more leaning into the notion that UFO's are man made (for what ever purpose) I am not anymore afraid of pictures of Greys. When I was a teenager I first saw a picture of a Grey, I think it was the one on the cover of Communion. It scared the hell out of me. For years I was fearfull that I would wake up at night finding them standing at my bed and staring at me. The movie Fire in the Sky which I saw on tv years ago also scared me very very much even though I think no aliens were in it (but those fluid filled sacks with people in it.....brrrr).

When I see a picture of a Grey now I see nothing more than just a drawing. Sometimes it reminds me of a wrinkled newborn. One of my cats had to go under anesthetia and when he was back home with me, his eyes were very strange and black (due ot the remnants of the anesthetic). It reminded me immediately of the eyes of Greys. It sort of scared me a bit, because it looked very unnatural but I understood that it would soon go away.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by alien

Hey there 'alien'

I just wanted to comment on the post you made about your friends mother and grandmother. It really struck a chord with me in relationship to my own experience.

Even as the experience was unfolding, I was consciously aware of how ridiculousy calm I was feeling. There was nothing approaching fear or anxiety of any kind ... I still think this is pretty remarkable.

When I talk about the incident I always approach it with a very 'down to earth' manner too. Partly because I always have an 'extra' calm feeling come over me (in a spiritual sense) ... but also because I don't want to come across like some kind of raving lunatic ... as can often happen in such cases.

Sorry to be slightly off topic, I just wanted to acknowledge the fact that I can understand the description you gave of their 'mundane' reaction and from a logical point of view I'm well aware of how strange this must seem to other people ... it is, how it is !

Woody

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I meant exactly what I said.
Maybe you all need to develop a sense of humor.
Since no abductee has ever provided the world with proof- I think my statement is just fine, and funny, at that.

Glad I could clarify all that for you.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I am still thinking about this thread.

Have we gone off topic slightly?

I believe the thread is about WHY, but we seem to be drifting into how people are chosen?

I think the how is different to the why?

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by EldersCouncil

Sorry for the delay in replying, I wanted to think about your questions first and I still don't think I have very good answers, but here goes.

If aliens were to overtly take over and rule this world and your brain is fed the "there is nothing I can do about this mental signal" followed up with a "this is for our own good signal" will you be able to override it?

A think there is are a few factors

1. The Stockholm syndrome, are abductees affected by this?

2. "there is nothing I can do about this mental signal" - is there anything we can do about it, I know this sounds defeatist

3. "this is for our own good signal" - The trouble is we are viewing this from a limited perspective, what is good or bad in the short or long term?
I can take a pet to the vet for a life saving operation, will the animal see it like that?

Perhaps your statement and questions deserve their own thread? so it can be discussed more.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join