It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 577
<< 574  575  576    578  579  580 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
What the hell is going on here. I got the call from Big Ben letting me know we would see 1200 SP by the end of the year. Still waiting for the red headed stepchild (dow) to break along with big blue to push us higher...

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Oh man, I am guessing someone just hit the fat finger in the ES MINI

Check this out

30,000 contracts traded in 15 minutes at 445 am?

LOL LOL LOL LOL

www.sierrachart.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
This is exactly the sort of consequences I was expecting. MASSIVE parabolic moves in the bond market. As KD says, someone smelled ALOT of smoke. And where there is smoke....

All too often we don't see the consequences of bad policy. Well here it is folks. SOMEONE is running for the hills, and I'm willing to bet that more are coming soon.

market-ticker.org...

This is a direct result of this:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Here is my pro-bear observation.... Thursday's stock move in the last half hour of trade was a nice drop, and I think it shows us that the closing price from three weeks ago is being defended, and that the market could well be done for now.

This week was looking like it could be another up week, a slightly up week, until the sharp sell off in the last 30 minutes. The move took the weekly chart decisively downward. Three weeks ago the
market closed at 10,471 on Dec. 11.
Then closed at 10,328 on Dec. 18.
Then closed at 10,520 on Dec. 24 (a Thursday, Christmas Eve). Today the
market closed at 10,428 (Thursday again, last day of 2009, lower than 3 weeks ago).

Today's close took the weekly candlestick down quite deep into the previous weekly candlestick. If Monday (Jan-4-2010) starts to the downside I will be almost convinced that the trend has turned for the short term.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Well well well ...back on ATS....

Have to say i have less confidence that the market will "tank"....when 4'th Q earnings are released.

This is primarily not because i think earnings will now be solid (nope) ....just that i seriously believe the FED has been buying equities (in some fashion) ...due to a couple pieces i read....and considering that

That's right. According to Biderman, the money did not come from (a) companies ("which were a huge net seller") (b) retail investor funds, (c) retail investors, (d) foreign investors, or (e) pension funds.

What about the hedge funds?

Biderman: "We have no way to track in real time what hedge funds do, and they may well have shifted some assets into U.S. equities. But we doubt their buying power was enormous because they posted an outflow of $12 billion from April through November."

www.marketoracle.co.uk...

so that leaves the good ole fed....right outta bernanke's handbook in a 2002 speech.....way to go uncle bernie.....free market eventually collapse in a flawed monetary system ....usually during a time when leverage is high and collateral $ was propped up from a bubble and comes back to earth.....that is where action like this come in.

AND i think its a good idea.....But the stock market bounce is NOT a SIGN of economic strength...but banking is a confidence game and this CAN NOT be made PUBLIC...otherwise .....pointless.....unemployment numbers are false as well thanks to BLS B.S but it does build consumer confidence.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Did you catch the action on PIMCO's funds today? If ya missed it, check out the charts in this ticker:

Uhhhhh... Ok, Keep Buying Fools

As far as Q4 numbers... look at the state sales tax receipts, they don't lie. If the businesses are *really* doing well, then sales tax revenue should be UP, right?

They were down 7% over all in Q3

Also, don't let anyone fool you, state sales taxes are remitted MONTHLY, not quarterly or annually, only Federal taxes are remitted Quarterly and Annually

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Why the markets are falling after the great opening last monday?

Well is because everything is a hype.

The Stock Market Illusion

The markets are going up as the dollar goes down, as is the case for all commodities – stocks, oil, metals, etc. – denominated in American dollars. The price increases in relation to the changes on currency exchange markets.

Once again, the system of floating currency exchange would, in other circumstances be a good indication for the U.S. Right now however it isn’t. As the value of the American dollar decreases in concert with increases in dollar denominated commodities we should see a move toward increasing American exports. A cheap dollar makes a manufactured good in the U.S. cheaper than in say, Germany, so it boosts our production and increased economic vitality.

Unfortunately, in our current world system it doesn’t matter what the dollar does. China has its currency pegged lower than our own, so when our currency falls it pushes the yuan-renmimbi down with it.

Essentially, because one nation is gaming the system America cannot reap any of the benefits.

Is the US purposely lowering the value of the dollar to create and illusion of economic growth in the production sector?.

Well remember lower dollar does benefit the illusions. . .

www.economyincrisis.org...

The truth is America has become stagnate nation

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Ford, General Motors and Chrysler see sales collapse

General Motors saw sales fall by 30% in 2009, while Chrysler reported its worst annual sales for 47 years.

Sales at Ford, which avoided bankruptcy last year, fell 15%, though it saw its first gain in market share since 1995.

Total US car sale in 2009 were at their lowest levels for nearly 30 years, according to figures from the research company Autodata.

Wait for it, here comes the ubiquitous MSM BUT:

The year 2009 was a calamitous one for the US car industry, with both GM and Chrysler forced into bankruptcy.

But sales saw a boost from the government's "cash for clunkers" scheme, which offered subsidies for the purchase of new cars.

Analysts are optimistic at the prospects for the car market in the new year. The Center for Automotive Research in Michigan is predicting a 19% rise in new car sales...

"BelieveBelieve, Believe!

When I click my fingers, you won't remember anything of this session..."

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

They are predicting a 19% increase from a 30% decline... lmfao .. I love economics, because numbers to the uneducated can be confusing and delightful .. ignorance is bliss.. 19% increase from a 30% decline haha..

It's like some guys I know all cheerful their 401k's last year saw 15% or so increases.... from a 50+% decline.

Gotta laugh.. cause it's funny..

NOW ON TO FUNNIER NEWS:::::::::::

Remember that FANTASTIC news report last month.. November only saw 11,000 job losses?

It was the ninth straight month that job losses narrowed from the previous month. The number of cuts in November was revised down to 145,000 from the previously reported 169,000.

I don't even remember there being a jobs report for November that listed 6 digit losses?!??
Turns out 11k was actually 169k (now 145k)

private-sector employers cut 84,000 jobs in December, the fewest since March 2008.

Good news I guess??
BUT .. it wasn't "better than expected" .. granted, they tried to spin it as positive, Bloombergs forcast was -75,000 jobs.. almost 10k more were lost.

Now again.. tricky numbers.. December actually posted a POSITIVE job growth.. in the service industry (most of which are 3 month or less temp jobs) .. take a look:

The figure was offset by a loss of 96,000 in the goods-producing sector and a drop of 43,000 manufacturing jobs.

Notice the language. "Well it WOULD have been a good jobs report if those damn middle class jobs didn't keep disappearing!" ... nearly 140,000 middle class jobs gone.

But walmart and target like stores picked up the slack.

Oh ya..

Despite the recent decline, 2009 was still the heaviest downsizing year since 2002, with employers announcing 1,288,030 planned job cuts for the year, according to Challenger.

Have a wonderful 2010 people..

[edit on 1/6/2010 by Rockpuck]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

As to the percentages game it's one of the many manipulative techniques that's so blatant it's an insult to the intelligence. The MSM clearly believes the listeners don't think.

BTW, did you see the end of the article:

Analysts are optimistic at the prospects for the car market in the new year.
The Center for Automotive Research in Michigan is predicting a 19% rise in new car sales, citing improved credit availability and increased demand.

The way they just pluck these figures out of the air & then justify it on the back of feel-good hocus pocus just blows the mind.

Welcome to Hogwarts School of Economics.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Early morning Thursday, Dow Futures trading 100 points below Wednesday's DJIA close. Let's take this dancing bear show on the road!

I will feel very good if we get a Friday close below Dow 10,328. That December 18 closing price is the one to nail down.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Dear, the job market is "death" that is all people needs to understand right now, after that numbers are just an illusion

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

That is because most people doesn't have the time to understand the way numbers are manipulated, either that or they just do not want to bother with "reality"

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Ya know Marg , with analysts the caliber of Meredith Whitney unable to rationalize current market performance , it becomes evident that fraudulent reporting , coupled with official sector intervention have rendered time-tested market relationships impotent....unreliable benchmarks.

Tomorrow morning the B[L]S non-farm data will only add to the dissonance. Birth/death adjustments will probably generate Dec numbers below 10% via the birth of phantom employment...the death of honest statistical analysis.

If so , Dollar
Equities
Gold/Oil/Commodities

Then................the revisions.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by OBE1

I can not wait to see the unemployment numbers coming in, after all they are going to be so cosmetically enhance that the pancake makeup will be dripping down the papers.

Along with the sugar coated farm data numbers.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
My "From 50,000ft" humble opinion.

Everything from the mid-point of the housing bubble to today has been engineered. $140.00 oil, Bear-Stearns, 0% Fed rate. Its my feeling that the housing bubble was seen and the Green economy was suppose to fill the gap. Unfortunatly, ICE and the banks did want to play along. Now, the Fed has to put up or shut up. Meaning if the economy is recovering, the Fed will have to raise intrest rates. No matter how small the rate increase is or how much warning is given, it will effectively "rip off the band-aid" and we will see how strong the economy really is. I think the stimulus was nothing more than the gov't trying to fill time until another new sector could be added to the economy. Now, it doesn't matter.the Green economy idea is dead, the "green shoots" are nothing but contrived numbers from msm trying to keep hope alive. Also, if we keep printing money, we run the risk of unintentionally monetizing the debt.

By the end of the second quarter we should have a clearer idea of how bad the damage truely is. California will mostly likely be bankrupt and the Fed will have started to raise rates. Then we will see if we return to 1931/32 type market movements.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Consider the fact that maybe the "consumers society" has truly become "spent" or even "expendable society".

Perhaps, what is going on in economy is not about salvaging but, instead, abandoning society because the model is exhausted. If this is the case, political priority will be remodeling rather than "fixing".

[edit on 8-1-2010 by DangerDeath]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Stocks Could be Led by Unemployment Claims

I can not wait how this news will be sugar coated today, the trend has not changed and we are still losing meaningful middle class jobs.

According to CNNMoney.com, stocks in the United States may be largely driven by how investors react to unemployment claims published by the Labor Department Thursday morning. According to the Labor Department, there were 434,000 initial jobless claims for the week ending January 2, up from 433,000 the week before.

This is less than many forecasters had predicted, but still a telling sign that the unemployment problem isn’t going away.

In other news, with unemployment on the rise and less income to go around, our already battered state budgets took yet another hit.

Bloomberg reports that state tax collections are down 13.3 percent, or $80 billion, through the first three quarters of 2009. State and local governments are already dealing with $193 billion of combined budget deficits, and they must now attempt to solve their fiscal problems with $80 billion less in the tank.

I can not wait also for the taxable income figures to show up this year with all the decline.

Even my husband is been shorted 3 thousand dollars starting this year after his company stop paying out a subsidy for certain expenses.

We are still wondering what in the hell is going on.

www.economyincrisis.org...

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Just a quick update:

FTSE @ close:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4609e6ee07d7.png[/atsimg]

5498.71 down 39.36 (0.71%)

Dow:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f65803fe169e.png[/atsimg]

10602.02 down 61.97 (0.58%)

Source

US trade gap widens sharply as imports grow

The US trade deficit widened sharply in November as the recovering economy boosted demand for imports to their highest level in almost a year.

The deficit grew to $36.4bn (£22.6bn), up 9.7% from an upwardly revised figure of $33.2bn in October. The increase was more than analysts had expected...

...but it's all good news...

...Economists were encouraged by the fact that both imports and exports increased.

"The big news is continued and sustained growth in trade volume, signalling recovery both in the US and among major US trading partners," said Christopher Cornell, at Moody's Economy.com.

There it is - that "r" word again! Stay on message.

Latest:

Check this out: Federal Reserve makes record $46.1 billion profit in 2009

[edit on 12/1/10 by pause4thought]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I don't know if i ask in the right place (if it is, then my apologies)....but here it goes.

Does anyone know if the world economy ( or some countries economy) has recovered since the Swine Flu vaccines were created/sold to different countries ?

..or is it starting to recover?

Thanks.

top topics

<< 574  575  576    578  579  580 >>

join