It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 574
<< 571  572  573    575  576  577 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
10 countries likely to default:
www.businessinsider.com...

I'm sure it's a recovery sign since all those banks in the US will make tons of money with derivatives when those countries collapse.

Economic spending -21% this week compared to last year...
www.gallup.com...

Yet another recovery sign!

Obama Planning New Stimulus Package

The economy is doing so good that even Obama thinks it's ok to give it another push...

Worry no more, the recovery is here!

So now, GreenBigMan, they can raise interest rates by 3% at the very least so we can go back to a strong currency? Of course that will crush the stock market and the home loans demands will cratter not to mention the foreclosure rates will explode even more...And big business will leave even more america for slave wages in third world countries...

But eh, the recovery is here, so none of that will happen... right?

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
FTSE closed up 40.48 (0.78%) at 5244.37

DOW currently up 69.99 (0.68%) at 10407.04

US trade gap narrows unexpectedly as exports surge

The US trade deficit unexpectedly narrowed in October as exports rose to their highest level in almost a year, official figures have shown. The deficit fell to $32.9bn (£20.2bn), 7.6% lower than September's downwardly revised $35.7bn figure.

Helped by the weaker value of the dollar, US exports increased by 2.6% to $136.8bn, led by civilian aircraft, cars and computer chips. Imports rose 0.4% to $169.8bn. Analysts had expected the deficit to widen. On average, analysts had predicted the deficit to expand to $36.8bn.

The value of US exports was the highest since November 2008, the figures from the Commerce Department showed. The trade deficit is now expected to widen again in 2010 as the US economy continues to recover and consumers buy more imported goods...

... The US's closely-watched deficit with China widened by 2.5% in October to $22.7bn, the highest level in almost a year. This came despite US exports to China hitting an all-time high, as Chinese-made goods coming in the other direction also continued to rise...

Source

Something (mostly) positive for once: maybe this is a real glimmer of light! (Pity it's surrounded by a black hole.)

Normally at this stage in the economic cycle I'd say there would be a strong case for the US accepting a weaker dollar in order to go for an export-led recovery. The problem is, so many manufacturers are either on their knees or bust, and the 'recovery' is so fragile that the investment needed to rekindle an expansion in production is just not going to be forthcoming on the scale needed - certainly not in the near future.

In the short-to-medium term it would appear there are only two real choices for many of the large economies:

1) stop inflating the economy by printing money, thereby taking the consequences of what the banks have done on the chin and accepting a lower standard of living until the economies can be properly restructured, or

2) keep pretending 'quantitive easing' / massive increases in foreign debt can make the financial crisis magically disappear so as to keep the charade going as long as possible

You are left wondering whether any of the major western economies is governed by politicians with the mettle to take the medium-to-long term interests of its nation to heart.

(Pulling the wool over peoples' eyes is certainly the easier option.)

[edit on 10/12/09 by pause4thought]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
BAD 30yr Bond Auction

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Nice to see you around

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Great to see you around, RH. Care to add a little commentary (-otherwise we'll be reliant on MSM "nevertheless"...

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Dang I had a pic in there & it disappeared.

BTC was 2.6 on the 30, the tail was HUGE on that Bond issue, since it has happened interest rates on long bonds have risen, but the short terms are still at 0 or very near 0 and that creates a very bad yield curve.

Other countries are not trusting our long term debt & people (like Soros) who have too much money are willing to invest in short term Ts just to have a safe mattress to keep their money in.

Not a good sign.

Although, the dollar and equities both rose on Friday, completely breaking the previous correlation between them, don't know if it will be sustainable, I doubt it, but I've been wrong before.

GBMs cheerleading of gains has come to its peak (or very close to it) I think, and yes, he was right there was a lot of $$ to be made over the past few months, now it's time to start looking to the shorts IMHO

But DO NOT SHORT APPLE!!! They are about to release their Tablet PC, will make other netbooks look like stone age equipment & can do everything a Kindle can do too

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Redhatty..Redhatty..Redhatty

You should know we are in a major consolidation right now with breakout written all over it.

SP500 at 1200 by end of year.

Book it

I have a strong feeling its time to watch why IBM still moves the market more than any stock in existance. IBM looks like breakout city, that means everything follows

Also would look for volatility in jackson hewiitt on a tip from a friend of a friend, blue horseshoe.

[edit on 13-12-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Thursday night I had a two part dream. In the dream I was in a factory, at the top of the factory, on some metal walkways, I was climbing down some ladders, working my way down the factory to the ground, there I met some foreign looking people who ran the factory. They looked Asian. My mind was telling me that this was a ''foreign'' setting. They couldn't look ''white'' or ''European'' because I would be confused by that since I am Caucasian. My subconscious was clearly showing me that this ''factory'' situation was in a foreign location.

Next, I was in a ''local'' location -- my driveway. I was looking at my car. I was seeing a fluid system that was boiling. It looked like the plastic overflow reservoir with a plastic cap that snaps on top. I heard a voice say it was going to blow. Sure enough the cap blew off and a gusher of fluid sprayed up, releasing the pressure and subsiding. This was obviously a ''local'' system that had become pressurized and blew off that pressure and then settled down again.

I woke to find the Euro down and the U.S. stocks up to the top of their trading range. The stocks had not broken out. They were just at the top of the range. The Euro continues working its way down.

I am convinced that the U.S. stocks are going to reverse big time soon, and the Euro is going to continue down.

NOTE: These two markets are the subject of my dream because I am always dwelling upon them, always watching them, always calculating their moves. I have been very wrong about my bearish stock call from late September. So far. I am playing pick up ball with the grand cycle. I can be a little off. We'll see.....

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Apple is and has been "my stock" but the tablet is being buzzed about for a Spring release and is also not going to be inexpensive at around 1K so I'm reserving judgement on this one for now?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabaret Voltaire

I love your enthusiasm even if wrong, you are still a good sport. I hope you do not lose $ on it of course, but an old easy rule to follow is not to fight the tape.

GL

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Don't worry people. Here comes Abu Dhabi to save the Dwbbya

What a relief!

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

It may sound like a good story, but just like the unemployment this week is just hopeful thinking.

This is why,

American Manufacturing Can No Longer Compete

While we look like exports are doing better is because the dollar value, no because other countries are dying for American goods, like we do with foreign goods.

Our exports will never keep up with foreign imports.

www.economyincrisis.org...

China's Asian Neighbors Don't like Mercantilist Tactics

China powers are raising when it comes to their exports and they are causing major global imbalances that a littler bit of good "luck" shown in Americas exports are nothing but short lived as long as China have control over Asian Markets.

Mum's the Word on “Free Trade”: Money Controls

Our government is been controlled by China debt buying, so when China wants US to look good with exports they turn the eye to the hoard of Ships with Chinas crap that are inundating our ports since the recession because the economy in the US has come to a halt and people can not longer afford to buy like before.

And there comes the jobless lies, this week.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Jobless Claims Jump

Yeah it actually jump amid the holiday hiring but the government only took one side of the job claims and make it look good.

At the end the overall picture of Americas good numbers that happen to be sprouting lately are nothing but wishful thinking.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Sorry to say this but analyst are betting on the EU no on the American dollar, specially when now the debt ceiling is to be raised in the US due to the increasingly unsustainable budget that Congress just passed Sunday while most Americans were to busy glue to their TVs watching Sunday football.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Here's a good article discussing the 0 yield Treasuries and the effect of them.

GBM, consolidation? what is there to consolidate? the only people trading are the banks and hedge funds, hell most day traders I know have gone to all cash & are sitting it all out.

The moves in the market have no fundamentals underlying them at all, there is no recovery, states are reporting massive losses in sales tax revenue.

It may be making some steel balled folks some coinage, but it is not sustainable & many of us are VERY aware of that.

My accts are safe, my mattress is very lumpy these days & I intend to hold back on trading for at least 6 months.

There is something karmic-ally wrong in profiting off the ass-raping of the american people

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
DJIA close 10,501
Futures +6, 10,443 @2AM

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Are you still in FAZ?

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   

6 months?

I give you 6 days, you are a sucker for the action. Let sam walton make you rich.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Yes. I split my money 3 ways and bought FAZ, BGZ and TYP. I still hold them all. I'm going to double my money, or better, when this market falls.

I am trying to double my money every year. I tripled from early March to the last day of September, sold, and bought FAZ, BGZ and TYP.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   

i hope.

although what I think you are witnessing right now is that classic consolidation before the next bounce.

if its a true "measured move" it will be big seeing as far as we have been in this band. as you know nothing works every time, but just remember money management.

GL

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I feel awful. I'm sick, and sleeping in fits and starts. I'm feverish. I had a dream in which I went to the front window and looked out to see my mother and father were outside in a stretch limo, very extravagant. I went to the door to open it for my father and as he walked up the steps and approached the door he said my name. Then I woke up.

My father and mother are me, and I am them. So I think my ride to wealth is waiting for me. I checked the charts to see that the Euro took another step down, and the Dow Futures are down a bit. News headlines are calling for a retreat at the open. I'm going back to bed.

new topics

top topics

<< 571  572  573    575  576  577 >>

join