It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 435
<< 432  433  434    436  437  438 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Ok...

it's all good...

LOOK AT VOLUMES THE PAST WEEK...

Hello...

Yer right...not day/hour on hour, but...

[edit on 7/31/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
hmm..

I dont think it is right man

www.sierrachart.com...

I know thats the ES.. but it would show a parallel at least..

your chart is showing 0 volume for like 2 hours..?

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Aw... I always balked at pushing Variable Annuities to my clients...

There are some major upsides and downsides. One upside (for those that don't know) is that almost always you can never "loose" your investment... but you can have 0% growth. Indefinitely actually. It also never guarantees huge growth .. the investments are usually so diverse among stock/tbills/bonds and money market funds that average growth is sometimes lower than fixed rate annuities.

Then there is the general problem of annuities with complex tax and benefit pay out laws and of course you money being tied up for 1-10 years at various withdraw penalties.

But to be fair, the average Mutual Fund for the main brokerage I worked for had negative returns for the past few quarters, as well as negative overall investment for the past 5 years.. 5% growth is great for a fund, but when you loose 40% in one year.. well it's no wonder people ran for the exits (though it made no sense to do so)...

Basically my main complaint, having worked for insurance companies for the past few years.... is that the industry is corrupt.. and the consumer or investor is always the one to get the shaft.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

gl -

lucky for you thinking ahead..

did you get unemp?

it was amazing when I got mine, i didnt even have to submit a job search thing or anything.. i just got $ directly deposited into my checking account and that was it lol... talk about abuse

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
hmm..

I dont think it is right man

www.sierrachart.com...

I know thats the ES.. but it would show a parallel at least..

your chart is showing 0 volume for like 2 hours..?

OK...remember "lunch" LoL

It's not minute/minute..but...

Dig...China is playing big time...this is now...

Can you say, "Short Crunch"?

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   

well historically that is a tough call to make as a 5 year period isnt a good window for investing

a high for life option though captures the market at its highest point and lets you keep that until a new high is breached.. there is of course more into it than that.. but if you are long term 20+ years this would be the best because historically after negative returns like this we usually are very positive..

just another point of view of course..

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

lol yeah, they actually close the markets for lunch there.. a great idea isnt it?

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   

did you get unemp?

No, nothing at all. I didn't even get more than $200 back as a tax return haha.. (and I may have used... alternative accounting... just so I wouldn't have to pay... :cool

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   

...Hmm.. Lunch break on the exchange? .. What's with the no-volume at around noon?

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

...Hmm.. Lunch break on the exchange? .. What's with the no-volume at around noon?

Asia..not Western Markets...

They still hold values...FOOD...

WOW..that's crazy...no one ever noticed Nikki???

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   

there is a lunch break there

they do that there for some reason

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Are you joking with me or are you serious? ... The exchange actually closes for lunch?

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   

really?

that sucks.. you must have quit then?

i was one of the fools that ben b had to give $ to - cant remember as I hate accounting but some sort of credit.. ended up pretty good for working like for only 4500 last year cause I was in school for most

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   

100% TRUE

Its funny isnt it..

Sometimes it opens very much higher/lower than before too.. so enjoy that whipsaw as well..

Those guys are crazy traders

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Are you joking with me or are you serious? ... The exchange actually closes for lunch?

Yes..true...

just watch the feeds...

Flat for 1 Hr...

OMG

Hmmm...guess even "Gods" can learn???

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Um, you could say I quit I suppose.. Basically I contracted with a bank that expanded their employee base up until October. I was brought in .... in July I believe, switched companies. Anyways, I worked with 3 different offices, and after they laid off 50k people, the services we provided for certain insurance claims/account managing were being "cut back". After watching all the sister offices close down, and we were next at around new years, we decided to move across the country. If I stayed in Ohio I would have got benefits, but living 3k miles away they don't seem to want to pay me. Not that I really care, benefits on my base pay I probably would have gotten like $500-600 a month in benefits. If that, the state would have found a way to screw me over, they usually do. There's also the problem working for a contractor, instead of officially laying me off since I was in a managerial position I probably would have been given "temp" work to do until "things turned around".

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   

LOL ... that's insane, I never knew they shut down for lunch. Hell, I only ever got a 30min lunch break, they shut down their entire exchange to have a full hour of lunch.

Anyone else feel cheated?

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan

Besides the end of the day, to me at least, volume doesn't mean anything, and can be construed to be whatever you want it to mean at the time.

If you look at the chart bellow, you see that in the middle of the session there are no two points within a thirty minutes interval that would form a sharp slope somewhere between 65 - 70 degrees. Check the volume below and you see that it is pretty low in comparison to the first and the last 30 minutes of the session where the sharp slopes are supported by the high volume. For some reason the two bottom points created when the volume was low form a line (blue) that found the point from which the selling started. I think it is just a coincidence, but I will keep an eye on it.

files.abovetopsecret.com...

There surely are refinements to all the methods that the traders use, which the computers can handle easily, but I want to keep it as simple as possible just to highlight the concept of the day-to-day trading. But definitely a bottom point drawn by a very low volume doesn't have the strength of the high volume points that the big guys make -- those guys who hold lots of shares.

[edit on 7/31/2009 by stander]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by stander

So what'cha sayin is higher volume = larger swings up and down?

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   

yep the temp status is a killer..

you dont realize how much that sucks until something like that happens - also sucks for med. benefits of course.. but perhaps that will change soon lol

top topics

<< 432  433  434    436  437  438 >>

join