It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 398
<< 395  396  397    399  400  401 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Australia

ASX 200 INDEX 3,810.70 -17.50 -0.46% 20:07
S&P/ASX 300 INDEX 3,807.30 -17.30 -0.45% 20:07
ALL ORDINARIES INDX 3,810.30 -16.30 -0.43% 20:07

New Zealand

NZX 50 INDEX 2,757.10 -4.41 -0.16% 19:43
NZX TOP 10 INDEX 775.98 -2.19 -0.28% 19:29
NZX 15 GROSS INDEX 5,080.70 -10.60 -0.21% 19:29
NZX ALL INDEX 690.03 -1.03 -0.15% 19:35

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

That is the truth. We knew new financial regulations were coming but I didn't know it was going to be the end of "to big to fail".

reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

Well if everything is so intertwined as what we think it is, it will be like dominoes. The trading section of GS goes down which brings down AIG which in turn brings everybody else down.

It isn't any secret that they are all manipulating the markets, but we don't know how buddy buddy they are. None of the mega banks are on a firm foundation right now. Then there are still some more bubbles that have yet to pop in the real estate markets.

Being that we are in a debt deflation scenario, it won't take much. Mega conglomerates will all eventually fail.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I think it is worth noting, if people remember here, that NYSE trading was extended 15 minutes after Thursday's close and the NYSE came out right after that they wouldn't report programmable trading volume.

Something VERY strange is going on. Maybe they should make this programmable trades illegal.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
This just really confirms what I have believed for this whole rally where retail and other funds just have NOT participated. These banks and the government have been just trading with each other. I wonder what this guy really knows about what goes on behind closed doors and I wonder if the ponzi scheme will collapse? I am so glad I have a real job and this is just a hobby

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   

That was my first though as well...

3 trading problems in the last month? Hmmm...

I think someone is on to something bigger than we'll hear about unless it does start to crack soon...or someone was trying to use the code and the platform couldn't preform using 2 versions of the same code???

[edit on 7/5/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   

I think they should, if I was a programmer and with a big bank I could write a program that handles all my trades online from my house, using something like Ameritrade or E-trade or whatever.

It really isn't fair because I could set up a makeshift super computer than can process the data faster than anybody else and I could make my money and crash the system, theoretically. Of course you would have to deal with a significant amount of volume, but that is what GS has been doing apparently.

Some tech gets handed the data sheets and programs in the number points, likewise they could also dump everything they own at one time. When you are dealing with over a fifth of the trading volume you can create significant damage.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Something VERY strange is going on. Maybe they should make this programmable trades illegal.

I for one believe they should be made illegal on principle.. Their sole purpose is not "investing" in corporations, but simply fluctuating the prices of stocks to make profit. That is not technically supposed to be the point of the Stock Market (though of course, it is a side effect).. I am surprised regulators ever even allowed automated trading.

www.bloomberg.com...

Bloomberg is reporting that 2nd quarter losses could be much worse than anticipated .. however, all is not lost.. they believe 3rd and 4th will not be as bad as 08 (which, effectively, we were still in crash crisis stage) .. I don't know if that's good or bad, or retarded. Either way, a turn around by 4thQ is not looking so good.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Hmmm...look at that last bold paragraph...

UPDATE 1-NYSE hit with another tech glitch, extends trading
www.reuters.com...

NEW YORK, July 2 (Reuters) - The New York Stock Exchange suffered its third technical glitch in less than a month on Thursday, this one compelling the centuries-old floor to extend the trading day by 15 minutes to finish executing orders.

Brokers on the Wall Street trading floor, run by NYSE Euronext (NYX.N)(NYX.PA), had trouble routing orders for more than an hour early in the session on Thursday. A spokesman said it was an isolated issue that did not impact the broader electronic trading system, and that regular order processing resumed by 10:50 a.m. (1450 GMT)

The Big Board briefly halted trading in some stocks, including Regis Corp (RGS.N) and Avon Products (AVP.N). Trading was extended to 4:15 p.m. (2015 GMT) from the regular 4 p.m. close, and the exchange was reviewing if trades would need to be canceled.

The problem follows two others at the NYSE -- a software glitch June 12, and an order-matching problem June 26 -- as it scrambles to retain market share and upgrade systems in order to keep pace with smaller, faster rivals such as BATS Exchange and Direct Edge.

On Wednesday, the Big Board launched a new order processor it said reduces order execution time from 105 milliseconds to 5 milliseconds. The explosion in automated trading has led many high-frequency traders to measure trading in even shorter microseconds.
More at Link...

BREAKING: GS Trading scandal
yahoo.com

All Ordinaries 3,787.60 8:58PM ET Down 39.00 (1.02%)
Nikkei 225 9,747.13 8:59PM ET Down 68.94 (0.70%)

Recession pushed 90 mln into extreme poverty
www.reuters.com...

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Strange story, apparently this guy is a real gifted microcode programmer that developed an arbitrage algorithm that couldn't be beat. He worked for GS when he wrote it, but left for better pay.

He now works for a different firm and obviously would be capable of writing a new system that would outperform the original one developed for GS.

The legal problem seems to be that he uploaded code from his old workplace after he left. Not a lot of motive there to steal what he could easily rewrite except maybe to save himself some keystrokes.

At least we are all getting lots of juicy tidbits about high frequency arbitrage trading.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Taibbi: NYSE ends transparency to protect Goldman Sachs
rawstory.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The New York Stock Exchange quietly announced last week that it would end its practice of requiring companies to report all their program trading — a move that helps shield large investment banks, particularly Goldman Sachs, from public scrutiny.

The new rule means the public will no longer be able to tell if large investment banks are manipulating the stock market for their own gain, says Matt Taibbi, the journalist whose Rolling Stone article on Goldman Sachs’ role in asset bubbles over the past century has rocked the financial world.

According to previous NYSE rules, any company that carried out program trading — essentially, large computer-automated trades worth more than $1 million — had to report the trades to the NYSE, which then made the information publicly available.

But, under new regulations (PDF) published last week, that requirement has been removed.
More at Link...

All Ordinaries 3,782.40 9:30PM ET Down 44.20 (1.16%)
Nikkei 225 9,722.13 9:25PM ET Down 93.94 (0.96%)
Straits Times 2,285.19 9:45PM ET Down 14.56 (0.63%)

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   

This is breaking now....and has a direct connection to your post above

www.abovetopsecret.com... e=1#pid6643180

Major developing story: Matt Goldstein over at Reuters may have just broken a story that could spell doom for if not the entire Goldman Sachs program trading group, then at least those who deal with "low latency (microseconds) event-driven market data processing, strategy, and order submissions." Visions of swirling, gray storm clouds over Goldman's SLP and hi-fi traders begin to form.

[edit on 5-7-2009 by RolandBrichter]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by RolandBrichter

Yep it's is/was...yer just a tad late

All Ordinaries 3,774.50 9:51PM ET Down 52.10 (1.36%)
Hang Seng 18,020.10 9:56PM ET Down 183.30 (1.01%)
Nikkei 225 9,650.75 9:52PM ET Down 165.32 (1.68%)
Straits Times 2,277.80 10:04PM ET Down 21.95 (0.95%)

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

You know what another poster just mentioned something about another Enron, predicted by Reinhard.

That brings me back, to remember some odd pages back about how somebody was predicting a major corporation collapsing.

I wonder if the GS situation is it.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963
reply to post by RolandBrichter

Yep it's is/was...yer just a tad late

All Ordinaries 3,774.50 9:51PM ET Down 52.10 (1.36%)
Hang Seng 18,020.10 9:56PM ET Down 183.30 (1.01%)
Nikkei 225 9,650.75 9:52PM ET Down 165.32 (1.68%)
Straits Times 2,277.80 10:04PM ET Down 21.95 (0.95%)

Yeah, a little late on the draw on that one...sorry
...at least I changed the link to his thread from mine

Anyway, the futures are down even further now....

As far as GS going under...as long as we have a viable Federal Government, GS will remain...

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Bloomberg is reporting that 2nd quarter losses could be much worse than anticipated .. however, all is not lost.. they believe 3rd and 4th will not be as bad as 08 (which, effectively, we were still in crash crisis stage) .. I don't know if that's good or bad, or retarded. Either way, a turn around by 4thQ is not looking so good.

As I have written above and been telling everyone, even if 2nd quarter losses are bad, these will not tank the market because the markets are looking for a 2nd half recovery and has already discounted a first bad half. Honestly, the most the DOW can go down to in my opinion is around 7500, and then you will see retail get involved for fear of missing another melt up and expectation that the economy will continue to get better (and it might with continual gov. stimulus for a quarter or two). This is my theory and I will trade accordingly. I also have said that I think oil needs a little more correction until I get involved in the resource stocks, especially with this Goldman Sachs scandal who we all know are the ones behind these huge bids for higher oil. They are scum with their stupid computer code
I think what may hurt this rally (which can rise pretty high even to 11,000 if you do see growth in the second half due to successful world gov. stimulus) is that there will be another quarter of contraction which will shock the world economy because we all know here the economies of the world still need to deleverage and more debt doesn't prevent that...

[edit on 5-7-2009 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Like I said before, this whole dollar attack is premature.

France and Russia urged a debate about the world's reserve currencies, but China said the dollar would keep its pre-eminence for "many years to come."

www.cnbc.com...

I honestly believe when Russia and China talk down the dollar, which scares FX markets temporarily, it is more political positioning than them being "worried" about their investment. Not to say that they aren't but this whole thing is easy to call that they would reassure the dollar is fine and that the dollar would rise in FX markets on temp. relief

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
Like I said before, this whole dollar attack is premature.

The Russians are prematurely losing confidence in the guys at NYMEX. When oil traded above $130 per barrel, the traders at NYMEX were regarded something close to financial divinity. Russia does produce oil – plenty of it -- and the guys who do the pumping know that if you sell a barrel for $45, your company would be still among the ten most profitable ones in the world. Then came the bust, but not even God would be able to hold the oil price miracle up. But the guys at NYMEX are the most resilient fighters of them all. Unlike the sissies at NYSE, they nearly doubled their bottom within a few months – those months plugged by unemployment and a sour economic performance.

Russians think that they can do better. But that’s a fantasy. Wonderful oil prices have to be set in the country that is dependent on oil the same way a crackhead depends on his pipe – and that’s USA – to begin with. Obviously, the obstacle in creating an independent binding oil market is the petrodollar. But you can’t get to it without badmouthing the dollar itself.

I bet that all that bitching from the east quiets down when the oil hits $90 per barrel.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
IMO there's a very good chance that Goldman Sachs will be killed. Why? As you all said, it's like an Enron.

What was Enron? A scam aimed at stealing money and transfer drug money to real money without anyone saying. Enron made it's time, now Goldman Sachs made it's time... Goldman Sachs have been used for decades to steal TRILLIONS of $$. Especially since 911. The insider trading on 911, the pentagon money, the bailouts...

Now they've been ``caught`` so the only way to escape the full exposure is to burn down the ship and all documents... and it will probably end up like enron...the top guy who got blamed ``died`` in his cell before the trial and all the documents ``were destroyed`` on 911 in WTC7.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Well today should prove to be interesting... Before the markets open wall-street will have to recon with falling commodities

Energy

----------------------------- PRICE CHANGE %CHANGE TIME
BRENT CRUDE FUTR (USD/bbl.) 63.270 -2.340 -3.57 07:44
GAS OIL FUT (ICE) (USD/MT) 522.000 -17.250 -3.20 07:43
GASOLINE RBOB FUT (USd/gal.) 173.000 -6.080 -3.40 07:22
HEATING OIL FUTR (USd/gal.) 163.500 -6.660 -3.91 07:24
NATURAL GAS FUTR (USD/MMBtu) 3.432 -0.183 -5.06 07:24
WTI CRUDE FUTURE (USD/bbl.) 63.900 -2.830 -4.24 07:24

Gold 922.30 -8.70 -0.93

In premarket trading Futures fell
S&P 500 futures fell 8.40 points and were below fair value, a formula that evaluates pricing by taking into account interest rates, dividends and time to expiration on the contract. Dow Jones industrial average futures slid 74 points, and Nasdaq 100 futures lost 10.50 points.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

The corruption of America corporate too big to fail is so complex that regular joes down the street have no clue what goes on around them.

Our nation is so corrupted that it makes small dictatorships and totalitarian developing countries look like havens.

Because people in America still trust the present system of Government as protected by God itself.

So sad.

I am reading the news on the Goldman scandal and to say that a lot of the government "financial experts" dealing with the financial crisis are indeed ex Goldman crocks.

That tells you who is in charge in America.

Do you think that something is going to be done against them? they are too big to fail.

How much money did they took from bail out money and how much they handle in bonuses?

And the Rumors are that they have been behind every US market Crash since 1920

Rolling Stone expose: Goldman Sachs behind every market crash since 1920s,

Goldman Sachs has played a crucial role in creating every market bubble since the 1920s -- and has profited from not only the bubbles, but from the crash that followed as well, says a new expose in Rolling Stone magazine.

An article in the July 9-23 issue of the magazine, written by Matt Taibbi, lists five asset bubbles that the 140-year-old investment bank helped create -- and one that Taibbi asserts the firm is currently working to make happen.

rawstory.com...

But they still are leaching the nation.

Only in America.

[edit on 6-7-2009 by marg6043]

new topics

top topics

<< 395  396  397    399  400  401 >>

join