It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 397
<< 394  395  396    398  399  400 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
economistsview.typepad.com...

Greenspan: Equity prices are key to recovery

Basically Greenspan is saying that if equity prices continue to rise, it will basically be a cure all...What is even more interesting is he said this (on June 25th)

Global stock markets have rallied so far and so fast this year that it is difficult to imagine they can proceed further at anywhere near their recent pace. But what if, after a correction, they proceeded inexorably higher?

Perhaps that means to buy the dips? It seems that the governments around the world are hell bent to pump the economy and markets full of illusion and money to make everything seem okay. And they can be successful over the short-intermediate term.

[edit on 3-7-2009 by RetinoidReceptor]

No...what he's means is...believe us and all will be well....

When we pull our money (and your money out) and say..Sha-Zam!...you'll be the last to know...and the 2st to suffer/pay...

Sad but true...every major player has upped their interest on every major trans-action...

Record profits?

Record gouging!!!

...just before the new Leg...everything is ...just before Leg...

Wonder how they know when to do it?

[edit on 7/3/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963

No...what he's means is...believe us and all will be well....

When we pull our money (and your money out) and say..Sha-Zam!...you'll be the last to know...and the 2st to suffer/pay...

Sad but true...every major player has upped their interest on every major trans-action...

Record profits?

Record gouging!!!

...just before the new Leg...everything is ...just before Leg...

Wonder how they know when to do it?

[edit on 7/3/2009 by Hx3_1963]

I honestly don't believe they are pulling their money out yet. For the simple facts that there aren't many people to sell to at this time and that there is more potential for upside than downside. Also, they need to pump the markets for the supposed recovery in the second half of the year. Mark my words, there will be a huge rally on the basis that people believe there is going to be a recovery. The markets may still have some pressure and overall asset prices might have pressure due to a stronger USD, but don't be surprised that in the next few months we see another melt up from 7800-8000 to around 10000 due to expectations of growth occurring.

The stock market isn't based on fundamentals...when are you guys going to understand that? It is based on psychology and expectations (fear/greed). Fundamentals bring the markets back to earth. But short term they mean nothing...

[edit on 3-7-2009 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Some are crazy enough to do that kind of stuff....

Sweden Cuts Deposit Rate to NEGATIVE .25%

The weak development of the economy requires a somewhat more expansionary monetary policy. The Executive Board of the Riksbank has therefore decided to cut the repo rate by 0.25 of a percentage point to 0.25 per cent.

Ain't that sweet? Now... only recourse is to keep money at home in cash...

[edit on 4-7-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I foresee the big players being forced to crash the market to drive the world back into Treasuries....The taxpayer money that was funneled to GS and JPM to prop up the scam has only succeeded in making billions for the banks....

Taken from Denninger's Mid Year 2009 Checkup

In response the economy has continued to shrink and tax revenues have sunk through the floor, skyrocketing the deficit. Treasury apparently detected a reluctance among foreigners to continue buying our used toilet paper and changed the rules on reporting of "indirect" sales - which then, even after the change to intentionally overstate foreign interest, have precipitously declined anyway. It is fair to say that foreign interest in Treasuries is all-but-exhausted and barring a collapse in equity prices to recreate a "fear" environment for holding government bonds, there is going to be an increasing problem with funding the insane "prop up the game" money flood policy of The Fed and Treasury.

It's the last ditch effort before the inevitable...

There is no way to prevent the unwinding of leverage when the carrying costs exceed income and the more debt we as a society take on in trying to do so the worse things will get in the end, as we are simply adding to the pile of defaults that must occur. I am quickly running out of possible scenarios to prevent a severe deflationary depression from taking place. By "severe" I mean 20%+ U3 unemployment, GDP contraction of at least 25%, and a possible loss of federal funding capacity leading to the immediate destruction of Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security, a 50% reduction of defense spending and near-complete-elimination of all other Federal Programs due to a "sudden stop" in the ability to fund Treasury issuance. Yes, it could get that bad, and it could happen a lot faster than you think.

Ughh...Happy Independence Day!

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

By "severe" I mean 20%+ U3 unemployment, GDP contraction of at least 25%, and a possible loss of federal funding capacity leading to the immediate destruction of Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security, a 50% reduction of defense spending and near-complete-elimination of all other Federal Programs due to a "sudden stop" in the ability to fund Treasury issuance.

Holy jebus. I knew this war coming since 2006... but now that I see it in numbers...it's 100X worse... imagining it and seeing it happen is very different... like the cap and trade bill, I knew about it last year with home inspections and taxes... but imagining it and seeing it being forced down our throats... not the same thing.

IMO, the next year will be the most important year...since 1945. Almost everything is coming down the pipe in the next 12 months. Economic disaster of epic proportion, mass vaccinations, anti-free speech bills, anti-guns bills, audit of the FED, maybe a new war, maybe a new false-flag attack... IMO the next 12 months will set the course towards freedom, civil war or slavery.

In some periods of history, in a short period of time, it happens more in a month than in the last few decades... IMO we are in this time period.

[edit on 4-7-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I keep my friend informed about what is going in the markets and financially here recently. He always gets mad at me about how there is never any good news. And I tell him I wish there was good news because I would surely tell it to you. Well the point of my short story is this:

India Joins Russia, China in Questioning U.S. Dollar Dominance

July 4 (Bloomberg) -- Suresh Tendulkar, an economic adviser to Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, said he is urging the government to diversify its $264.6 billion foreign-exchange reserves and hold fewer dollars.

“The major part of Indian reserves is in dollars -- that is something that’s a problem for us,” Tendulkar, chairman of the Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Council, said in an interview yesterday in Aix-en-Provence, France, where he was attending an economic conference.

Singh is preparing to join leaders from the Group of Eight industrialized nations -- the U.S., Japan, Germany, Britain, France, Italy, Canada and Russia -- at a summit in Italy next week which is due to tackle the global economy. China and Brazil will also send representative to the summit.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
us.mobile.reuters.com...

Looks like the dollar is under a steady attack. Hmm. How long ago did we call this ATS? Maybe theres something to the tin foil hats.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
us.mobile.reuters.com...

Looks like the dollar is under a steady attack. Hmm. How long ago did we call this ATS? Maybe theres something to the tin foil hats.

The world leaders will come out of the summit in support for the dollar, and then the dollar will rise for a while. You may see a few BRIC people saying bad things about the dollar, but they aren't going to do anything about it right now.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Administration plans for end of ‘too big to fail’
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Megabanks may be slimmed down, told to prepare plans for own demise

They are the biggest of the big — the Citigroups, the Goldman Sachses, the AIGs and other financial behemoths. The Obama administration doesn't want so many around anymore.

Financial regulations proposed by the president would result in leaner and simpler institutions that don't carry the weight of the system on their marble columns.
More at Links...

[edit on 7/5/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Is A Case Of Quant Trading Sabotage About To Destroy Goldman Sachs?
zerohedge.blogspot.com...

Major developing story: Matt Goldstein over at Reuters may have just broken a story that could spell doom for if not the entire Goldman Sachs program trading group, then at least those who deal with "low latency (microseconds) event-driven market data processing, strategy, and order submissions." Visions of swirling, gray storm clouds over Goldman's SLP and hi-fi traders begin to form.

Back-up: This week's NYSE Program Trading report was very odd: not only because program trading hit 48.6% of all NYSE trading, a record high at least since the NYSE keep tabs of this data, and a data point which in itself was startling enough to cause some serious red flags as I jaunt from village to village in what little is left of Europe's bison country, but what was shocking was the disappearance of the #1 mainstay of complete trading domination (i.e., Goldman Sachs) from not just the aforementioned #1 spot, but the entire complete list. In other words: Goldman went from 1st to N/A in one week.
More at Links...

A Goldman trading scandal?
blogs.reuters.com...

Did someone try to steal Goldman Sachs’ secret sauce?

While most in the US were celebrating the 4th of July, a Russian immigrant living in New Jersey was being held on federal charges of stealing top-secret computer trading codes from a major New York-based financial institution—that sources say is none other than Goldman Sachs.

The allegations, if true, are big news because the codes the accused man, Sergey Aleynikov, tried to steal is the secret code to unlocking Goldman’s automated stocks and commodities trading businesses. Federal authorities allege the computer codes and related-trading files that Aleynikov uploaded to a German-based website help this major “financial institution” generate millions of dollars in profits each year.

The platform is one of the things that apparently gives Goldman a leg-up over the competition when it comes to rapid-fire trading of stocks and commodities. Federal authorities say the platform quickly processes rapid developments in the markets and uses top secret mathematical formulas to allow the firm to make highly-profitable automated trades.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
So Q2 earnings season is begininning on Wednesday I believe with Alcoa. What are your views about this earning season and the markets in general? I think that Q2, as long as in line with the very low expectations, will be a time for another melt up in the markets because there is supposedly going to be growth in Q3 and especially Q4 this year and everyone knows economic news and earnings won't be amazing in Q2...

I don't know exactly when the accumulation will begin, but the upside is definitely greater than the downside because there is so much support for the markets so they do not revisit the march lows (not to mention banks aren't going to collapse or be nationalized which drove markets down last time).

Something tells me oil needs a correction before going higher. This will probably hurt resource stocks. I would tell you guys what I am going to be trading but I don't want to be banned/warned
so I won't. if you want to discuss things with me you can always PM me. I definitely do NOT like the short trade here.

Also look for bank earnings to be supported by their trading and fixed income earnings and cash flows to be supported by the equity offerings
JPM and BAC report in like 2 weeks.

[edit on 5-7-2009 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Alcoa To Post Loss, but What Does It Mean for the Economy?
www.cnbc.com...

Alcoa, whose results are traditionally viewed as an indicator of the country's economic health, is expected to post a third consecutive quarterly loss this week.

But many on Wall Street no longer see the aluminum producer's numbers as a bellwether portending either a deeper recession or an easing of the global downturn.

"It's a large company in a major industry and it is the first to report, so it gets special recognition," said Joseph Battipaglia, a market strategist at Stifel Nicolaus & Co in Yardley, Pennsylvania.

"But it's only telling you about the health of the aluminum industry and that's not very good right now.
More at Link...

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

I believe the GS story needs to be under breaking news with its own thread...

Nice find there..

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I want to know what sort of mathematical formulas these institutions use. Maybe GBM, who researchs algorithmic models, can enlighten us on what these formulas are like? I may not totally understand them but I did minor in math in college

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Got a thread in breaking on the GS story looks like you guys caught it about the same time I did.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
So oil is down almost 3% and the dollar has opened with moderate gains. The markets are definitely going to be a little shaky, especially if Goldman Sachs is out of the game for a little while (maybe that is why oil is down so much? Other traders are scared Goldman won't be able to prop it up anymore?
)

I just can't wait till Goldman Sachs goes the way of Enron. That is where it should be.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Wonder if this had something to do with the messed-up trading Thursday?

Goldman: Pwned?
market-ticker.org...

Oh oh..... Insane major props to Zerohedge on this one!

Back-up: This week's NYSE Program Trading report was very odd: not only because program trading hit 48.6% of all NYSE trading, a record high at least since the NYSE keep tabs of this data, and a data point which in itself was startling enough to cause some serious red flags as I jaunt from village to village in what little is left of Europe's bison country, but what was shocking was the disappearance of the #1 mainstay of complete trading domination (i.e., Goldman Sachs) from not just the aforementioned #1 spot, but the entire complete list. In other words: Goldman went from 1st to N/A in one week.

What? Was NYSE/Euronext suddenly "asked" to remove Goldman from the prop trading reports? Or is something else going on, as Zerohedge and Reuters apparently have managed to scoop:

While most in the United States were celebrating the Fourth of July holiday, a Russian immigrant living in New Jersey was being held on federal charges of stealing secret computer trading codes from a major New York-based financial institution. Authorities did not identify the firm, but sources say that institution is none other than Goldman Sachs.

The charges, if proven, are significant because the codes that the accused, Sergey Aleynikov, tried to steal are the secret sauce to Goldman's automated stock and commodities trading business. Federal authorities contend the computer codes and related-trading files that Aleynikov uploaded to a German-based website help this major financial institution generate millions of dollars in profits each year.

Oh this is bad for Goldman if true.

It's even worse for the NYSE however, as Reuters goes on to explain:
More at Link...

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Around Washington and Wall Street they have come to be known as TBTF — too big to fail. It's not just size, though. These companies are so far-flung, so intertwined and so precariously leveraged that a single one's collapse can create systemwide tremors that imperil the finances of millions of Americans.

Yea, imagine that news about GS comes out and it seems like GS is about to go under and now the administration is going to try to position itself to look like they planned it all.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Kind of a weird coincidence huh?

Boy people will believe anything they're spoon-fed these days :shk:

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife

Yea, imagine that news about GS comes out and it seems like GS is about to go under and now the administration is going to try to position itself to look like they planned it all.

I wouldn't go as far as to say GS is going to go under, but this is a huge blow. And maybe other traders will pull out since GS made up such a huge amount of volume as of late since there hasn't been much retail participation.

top topics

<< 394  395  396    398  399  400 >>

join