It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 146
<< 143  144  145    147  148  149 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

It's going to take sometime most of the reports started about October of last year and have continued since then. I can't remember all of the names so will have to do a broad search for them and see if they are still there. I know a few where on Reuters so will check there first and move outward.

to add:
First one I located is from AUGUST
EU restricts rice imports from the US[fr][de]
Published: Thursday 24 August 2006 | Updated: Sunday 8 April 2007
US exports of long-grain rice will be systematically checked at EU borders following fears that they may be contaminated with a GMO called LL Rice 601 (see EurActiv 22 August 2006), the Commission announced on 23 August 2006.

With immediate effect and for a six-month period, only shipments of US rice “that have been tested by an accredited laboratory using a validated detection method, and are accompanied by a certificate assuring the absence of LL Rice 601, can enter the EU”.

Ed Loyd, spokesman for the US Agriculture Department, says the US is close to making a validated test available and described the EU reaction as “very measured and reasonable”.

But US rice farmers say the screening procedures will increase costs and the price of rice has already fallen sharply following decisions by the US’ largest rice-export markets, Japan, the EU and South Korea, to restrict imports.

EU Health and Consumer Protection Commissioner Markos Kyprianou defended the emergency measures saying: “There is no flexibility for unauthorised GMOs - these cannot enter the EU food and feed chain under any circumstances.”

Green campaigners hailed the Commission’s rapid reaction but said it must “stop reacting to contamination 'accidents' and start preventing them instead”.
(Very odd being they too where growing the same GMO crap food)
www.euractiv.com...

[edit on 20-3-2009 by xoxo stacie]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
also we need to look for failed company buy outs or mergers.

This could prove interesting.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Okay so the Eu thing basically cut off everything from rice and meats packaged products and animal feed. With the claims of being contaminated with the gmo and hormones THEY helped develop with monsanto and others....Then the WTO got involved and told the EU they where wrong etc. they refused still so the USA and Canada slapped them with 100% tariffs on things like blue cheese and Dijon mustard.
Then the WTO sided with the EU because of the tariffs etc but still said they had to up hold the previous rulings. They have yet to do that. So basically they went over to China etc. and got the products the USA and Canada where originally shipping under the trade agreement. It's still up in the air at this time. The site in the other post is FULL of articles about the fight.

I have NEVER heard of this one have you?
Article from: 2 July 2007
The Bush administration's trade-promotion authority (TPA), which allows the White House to adopt international trade agreements without any possibility for Congress to amend them, is due to expire in less than two weeks, and it remains unclear whether the Democratic Congress, increasingly skeptical as to the benefits of economic globalization, will agree to its extension.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Not to be unkind but I think most of you folks are not posting "up to date market data". Is that why so many posts were removed the other day?
A body has to wade through to much junk and complaints to find something current. You folks have alot of interesting stuff but AIG changed 100 percent the other day while I was reading just one post to find out anything worthwhile.
Maybe another thread like " I am I market historian" or " Why I hate America" .

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Good morning Donny. ATS always has room for another thread. By all means do start another one if you feel the participants of this one are not keeping up. Fresh ideas are always nice to explore.

Personally, I watch this site like a hawk. I like it, I love and I want some more of it. It works for me.

On topic: United Community bank in Georgia relieved several employees of there jobs yesterday giving them just ten minutes to get out of the banks.

I don't know what to make of this. Possibly a take over by another bank?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Futures, as of 7:49 am:

Dow 7,340.00 -12.00 -0.16
S&P 500 778.80 -1.30 -0.17
NASDAQ 100 1,203.50 0.00 0.00
S&P/TSX 60 529.20 9.10 1.75
Mexico Bolsa 19,803.00 -72.00 -0.36
Brazil Bovespa 40,839.00 361.00 0.89

Oil 51.09 -0.52 -1.01
Gold 955.60 -3.20 -0.33
Natural Gas 4.19 0.01 0.31

After their 16% drop yesterday, I'm interested in seeing what Citi does today.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by theWCH]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

Have been wracking my brain over this: will the options running out as well as unemployment benefits and other "good news",I am still seeing a bit of a run towards Summer(mostly based on "confidence and desperation")more of the dead-rat bounces for a bit,and then a BIG drop as the 're-organization" of paper and conversion of preferred to common (and unfair to the holders)stocks,downgrading,and the like becomes more obvious.

I am getting the feeling that they are re-arranging and basically setting up to do the same thing over again in some ways...buying debt and increasing false-values.

Also,the housing market and credit card bottoms won't "hit" for a couple more months...

I have all I can DO to keep up with this thread during trading hours,the info and analysis is brilliant for the most part.
I think it's more "casual" after the bell rings.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by irishchic
reply to post by TH3ON3

Also,the housing market and credit card bottoms won't "hit" for a couple more months...

This reminds me: I was looking at the eight-year data by metropolitan region a few weeks ago (in regards to the housing market) and it looks like some areas (Michigan for sure, possibly California and a few others) are already at "bottom" while other areas (including your very own Texas) seem to be (relatively speaking, of course) sitting "pretty," just waiting for the inevitable plunge.

If the Fed's plan to start the printing presses blows up, then I think that these areas could plunge hard and fast, which honestly scares the bejesus out of me. If the goal is minimizing/avoiding civil unrest, you're really MUCH better off with a slow and steady decline than an abrupt collapse.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Good Morning!!! Coffee Going???
------------------------------------------
S&P 500 +3.20 783.30 3/20 8:57am
Fair Value 780.17 3/19 8:56pm
Difference* +3.13

NASDAQ +3.50 1207.00 3/20 8:56am
Fair Value 1204.12 3/19 8:56pm
Difference* +2.88

Dow Jones +19.00 7371.00 3/20 8:54am
===
Shanghai Composite 2,281.087 3:00AM ET 15.328 (0.68%)
Hang Seng 12,833.51 5:59AM ET -297.41 (-2.26%)
Nikkei 225 7,945.96 Mar 19 -26.21 (-0.33%)
Taiwan Weighted 4,961.62 1:46AM ET -74.31 (-1.48%)
===
FTSE 100 3,829.83 8:39AM ET 12.90 (0.34%)
CAC 40 2,780.04 8:54AM ET 3.05 (0.11%)
DAX 4,052.84 8:40AM ET 9.38 (0.23%)
===
Gold $950.90
Oil $51.18

DXY 83.55

Citigroup Inc. C (NYSE) $2.60
Pre-Market After Hours $2.82 Change: +0.22 +8.46% Volume: 15,443,171
www.marketwatch.com...

Dollar poised for big weekly tumble
Market Watch

LONDON (MarketWatch) -- The U.S. dollar rebounded Friday but remained in line for a huge weekly loss against major rivals following the Federal Reserve's decision this week to massively pump up the supply of dollars in a bid to jumpstart the economy and avert a deflationary spiral.

Commodity currencies, as well as the euro, are among the week's biggest beneficiaries after investors and traders rushed into gold and other commodities following the Fed's decision to begin aggressively purchasing Treasury bonds and other debt.

The Norwegian krone has been among the top performers in the wake of the Fed move, with a total gain of 7.7% versus the dollar, wrote strategists at Lloyds TSB.

The Norwegian krone dipped 0.3% Friday to trade at 6.348 per dollar, but began the week near 6.840.

Meanwhile, the euro appears to have regained a tight relationship with movements in the gold price after European Union finance ministers gave a cold shoulder to U.S. calls for increased stimulus spending, noted Simon Derrick, chief currency strategist at Bank of New York Mellon.

Since March 9, the euro had rallied around 7.9% versus the dollar, compared to a 7.4% rise in the price of gold over the same period, he said, in a research note.

"Given that the volatility of the gold price typically runs at over twice that of [the euro/U.S. dollar currency pair], this is real testament to the single currency's changing status," Derrick said. "It appears that once again the euro really is as good as gold."

The euro traded at $1.3579 versus the dollar in recent action, down from $1.3671 late Thursday.

The single currency drifted lower after the statistical agency Eurostat reported a 3.5% monthly fall in euro-zone January industrial output, for a 17.3% fall from the same month last year. Both measures were the largest declines since records began in 1990.

"With global demand still at very depressed levels, companies are reluctant to resume production plans even though inventories are judged less heavy than at end-2008," wrote Tullia Bucco, an economist at UniCredit MIB, in a research note. "We currently expect [gross domestic product] to shrink 1.7%" quarter-on-quarter in the first three months of 2009.

[edit on 3/20/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Futures:

DOW - 30
NAS - 3.25
S&P - 4

They are all up strange time I do say.

And the CBO is saying the deficit is a trillion more than projected for this year. Instead of 1.7 trillion it is now 2.6 trillion.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Yep saw that last nite...another not good thingy...

GS Pre-Market After Hours $99.50 Change: +0.09 +0.09% Volume: 412,789

JPM Pre-Market After Hours $24.85 Change: +0.13 +0.53% Volume: 2,788,463

MS Pre-Market After Hours $21.79 Change: +0.75 +3.56% Volume: 1,202,902

BAC Pre-Market After Hours $7.06 Change: +0.13 +1.88% Volume: 8,504,918

C Pre-Market After Hours $2.85 Change: +0.25 +9.62% Volume: 15,351,666

AIG Pre-Market After Hours $1.52 Change: -0.10 -6.17% Volume: 7,271,459

CBOE 10-Year Treasury Yield Index. TNX 25.77 -0.20 -0.77%

[edit on 3/20/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

When it comes to the communist WTO, every time US complains or try to impose anything on any other other countries involved they always turn US complain down.

I still don't understand why our nation of morons still abide by the communist WTO rules and regulations, they need to give them the finger and take them to go to hell.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Donny 4 million

No they were removed because inside information by the member in question, already it has been posted that this thread is for any related to market data and the understanding of how the economy is working the way it is.

The only thing no acceptable is personal information, personal traders information and luring people into investment deals.

Plus your regular violation of TOs.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
New today that with all the so call anger by our president and congress about the bonuses it will be nothing but a bogus show for the enjoyment of the raped tax payer.

Last night analyst said that Obama may no even sign the bill passed last night.

Another win for the pimps lobbying in congress that fill the pockets of our politicians in Washington including the presidents campaign funds.

What a joke.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I hope he doesn't sign the tax legislation that passed the house last night, if it gets through the senate.

2 reasons, its unconstitutional, and its unconstitutional.

The tax legislation is total BS, the government let all this happen and now they want to prosecute and penalize the people that have been stuffing their pockets with campaign cash.

What we need is people in government with integrity.

The markets opened up at
DOW - 30.18
NAS - 7.45
S&P - 1.17

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
The TickerForum is on lockdown, which usually only happens on his "OMFG THE SKY IS FALLING -- WE'RE DOOMED!" days.

Is KD expecting something big today? Or is he just struggling to adjust to his increase in exposure/traffic?

[edit on 20-3-2009 by theWCH]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

It was true what many were talking about that the AIG outrage was nothing but a diversion of what is really going on behind the backs of the raped tax payer in the nation.

The thieves in the Federal Reserve is running with billions throguht the back door while we the people are directing our anger to the wrong groups.

U.S. Pumping Billions into Foreign Central Banks
According to the Huffington Post, for over a year now the U.S. Federal Reserve has been pumping hundreds of billions of dollars into foreign central banks, which are then using the funds to bailout financial institutions inside their own borders.

“The program has so far gone unreported in the mainstream media and is a major expansion of Federal Reserve involvement in the global economy,’ Ryan Grim of the Huffington Post writes. “It represents a stark break from the prior role of the Fed, moving it into territory more traditionally occupied by the International Monetary Fund (IMF).”

www.huffingtonpost.com...

[edit on 20-3-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Good Morning all,

I was happy to see the rebound in the futures and the dollar is back up a little overnight.

Today is the quadruple witching options expiration day - I expect a lot of violent changes throughout the day on the markets.

some news

Citigroup CFO to Run Troubled Bank Unit is this a punishment? Fix the problem you let be created?

not quite market related, but I'm sure it just helps the rest of the world laugh at us. Two U.S. Navy vessels have collided in the Strait of Hormuz

The morning ticker On Speculation, Wall Street And Hedge Funds

President Obama wants you to join the union - some data to support this thesis can be found here

Naked Short Sales Hint Fraud in Bringing Down Lehman

European Industrial Output Plunges by Most on Record

BAIR BREAKS RANKS hmmm, truth or fluff to distract us from the &dist=hplatest]IndyMac losses?

Do away with Geithner, Bernanke: Forbes to Obama - that that would be change I could believe in!

See ya as it unfolds today :-)

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Yes it is, it is all a distraction to keep peoples attention turned away from the real issues.

People are dumb though. They are outraged at AIG and companies getting bailouts but are not enraged at the people that gave them the money in the first place.

Things like this give me little hope in humanity. All I see a majority of people with a hive-mind that don't know what to think until their party of choice gives them the talking points of the day.

The market is up. So we are slowly recovering from this mess.

That last line was sarcasm.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by theWCH

It's a Quad witching OpEx day - KD locks down to control the bandwidth draw and keep the forum working well for donors :-)

He's not *just* being an ass - there is a good reason behind it

top topics

<< 143  144  145    147  148  149 >>

join