It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My co-workers watched as a girl died

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
You know what bothers me about this post? It could have gone either way. What if someone had tried to save her, and failed. Then that person could be sued for trying to save that persons life. I have actually seen where lawyers have stated that if you see a car accident, call for help, do not do anything else because you are liable. Sad.

Someone in that office should have picked up the phone and made the call to 911, plain and simple. Sad to think that a group of people stand around and do nothing while someone is dying. I know people say that is a sad state of America, but I disagree. That is a sad state of mankind. If someone said "I will give you $100 if you help that woman" she would have gotten help. Too many people are not willing to help someone just because they need help.

Even though this ended this way, I applaud the OP for trying. We need more people like that, instead of all those others.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
ill tell you something i always tell my kid... its a cruel and chaotic universe.

sorry for what happened to you and the girl and her family. im also sorry for your coworkers because they will also carry this with them the rest of their lives.

you did the right thing man and the fact you tried to save her for over ten minutes makes you a hero in my book.

i should have my work renew my cpr/first aid . ill say something to them monday.

peace

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I am so sorry too and I would like to say that I feel you did the right thing and should be applauded for you actions. I am the health and safety rep at work and have pushed to make sure that EVERYBODY that is employed where i work is trained in first aid and CPR. i don't know what the laws are like in your country, but in Canada you cannot get sued for aiding someone in distress. You can be charged however If you do nothing and were able to give some kind of assistance. I think the parents of this girl should sue and hopefully it will bring around chcanges to your workplace safety policy that all employees get first aid cpr training

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
That is so sad and I am sorry that you had to go through that. My family has had the same type of experience. My mothers boyfriend went to a bar and had a heart attack and the owners yelled at everyone not to touch him so the bar wouldn't get sued. He did not die at the scene but was in a coma for 5 days and then died.

Once again, hope you get through it.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Wow good going Star kitten. You are the kind of person we all would want around. You have a real heart. I cried when I read your post. So sad.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Question is - do you want to continue to work there knowing if you fall over on the floor and turn blue you are a dead man?

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I know I am just echoing other people's replies but this makes me utterly sick to my stomach. The way people sue left right and centre for everything. Something has got to be done about it when it causes people to die.

I don't know if it's true but I heard that someone once performed CPR on someone, saved their life but also broke a rib and that they were sued. They saved a person's life and that person sued them.

I always like to think if I was in that situation I would have acted just like the OP. I've helped an old lady when she slipped off the bus and broke her hip. I waited with her until the ambulance came, propping her up while the driver tried to keep her conscious. I never found out if she made it or not. But how could you live with yourself if you were in that sort of situation and didn't do anything? I couldn't. I hope they can't.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Star kitten

OMG!! This is so terrible and sad
I dont know why but it seems to be so strange....
Why they didnt call the ambulance before?What were they waiting for?
is really confused

I dont know what you say...its really sad

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
First off, its quite strange for a 27 year old to have a heart attack.

Your story is very heroic, and I hope that karma deals swift punishment for those who stood and watched.

The world needs more people like you!

This is truly sad

And at the same time, makes me filled with rage thinking about the people watching her die. THEY DIDN'T WANT TO BE SUED!!!!! ARE YOU F"ING KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!

What a load of crap, they will get what is coming to them!

Rest assured justice will prevail!

S+F

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadow_Lord

I am not sure where you are from, but there are good sameritan laws in most states, and countries.....
Anyone who could see a person in need and turn the other way or do nothing should be held accountable for there death, regardless if they could be saved or not.... THIS IS SICKINING!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the reason the human race is going down the toilet.......

WE ARE ALL HUMAN "BEINGS", AND need to be there for our fellow people... things are going to get a lot worse in this world, and I am sickened everyuday at the lack of compassion by people........
I I didnt hava a daughter that WILL grow up knowing what do onto others..... means, than i would become a hermit and cast away the world..

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I did not read the whole thread, i did see someone post something about the good samaratin law from here in the states. australia does not have a "good samaratin law" on the statute

but it does have this

www.aushealthreview.com.au...

i hope that is the appropriate way to link to outside sources.

i however would think that letting the girl die would warrant sueing more then trying to help the girl live. and the two people who are trained...well i cant really say what should happen to them without getting in trouble.

kudos to you for doing what you could do!

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Star kitten

I feel for you. If they were my co-workers i would be fired for what I would say and do.May the love/light shine on you.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

I'm not saying that everyone is that way, just that the vast majority are and most don't even realize it.
When there's a situation where there's only one person witnissing an event, they are far more likely to do something about it because he/she is the only one there and is forced to take action.
These things only happen when there are a bunch of people there and every single person there is waiting for someone else to act.
In these situations, it's simply a fact that most people will stand and look and not do anything about it.
If you're the type of person that would do something in a situation like this, then believe it or not, you're the exception.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Calling 911 at a bare minimum would have been expected.

I would rather be sued for action that I took rather than being sued for taking no action at all. No integrity whatsoever.

I also want to say to the OP that I admire your compassion and immediate response when you came upon the situation. It's that basic caring for humanity that is our only hope to survive in this world. Wish more had enough b@lls to step up when necessary. No, it's not heroism, it's just the right thing to do.

Sadly many have lost that moral compass, if they ever had one at all. I think I would have been so PO'd I'd have wanted to crack some of my co-workers upside the head, if only to determine if there was any sloshing sound coming from their heads.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Star Kitten,

I hope more people see this thread. It's an important one.

it's hard to say anything that could rectify what happened or take away the wrongs.

I don't blame you about loosing your temper, and I doubt any person with a conscious would either.

Those other people, although they panicked were complete cowards.

You however, are a true hero. At least you are my hero for the time being. You did everything you could to help her, don't blame your self or anything like that.

SERIOUSLY YOU ARE A HERO.

[edit on 17-10-2008 by BASSPLYR]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel

Originally posted by Ign0rant
Wow just wow this is just an example of the society that we live in. We are condition to be like this to be selfish heartless creatures that can watch someone die. To be fair to the bystanders yes they may have panicked by not giving the women first aid but that doesn't justify the fact that they didn't call 911.

I would say you have summed it up well. At least someone could have called for medical help. It would appear that people allowed her no chance at living.

To the OP, thanks for showing what a person can and should be willing to do to help a another person. If there is karma then you have earned a some that is positive.

not calling for medical help is the abomination above all else,why would they stand there for half an hour and watch some one die? ,something is not right.

an since when do 27 year olds have heart attacks?, her passing needs a full blown enquiry!.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Sounds like people begin to act more and more like human robots, the kind that David Icke talks about.
So drafted in the false reality that we don`t care anymore, and just think about ourselves.

We have become sheep(maybe worse) just waiting for someone else to respond before doing something ourselves.

[edit on 17-10-2008 by eternalsoul]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
You did what you could, and I thank you that you value life more than the average joe....... I can only think that if this would to happen to you well you know the out come. You work with idiots no doubt about it, has anyone ever heard of 911 I guess not........... I pray that you will understand you did all you could and you are to be commended for that.................

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
What a sad and tragic story.

It doesn't surprise me at all that people stood around and did nothing. I have experienced this three times.

The first, a child was drowning and people were standing on the bank screaming. Not one tried to help. I heard the yelling and walked down to see what was happening and could not believe nobody was doing anything. I
jumped in and went after him. Turned out he was in water that was only a couple of feet deep. ANY of the bigger kids or adults could have gotten that kid out of the water before I came along! I lost it and did a good amount of screaming at those cowards as soon as I knew the kid was okay.

Second time at a banquet I was working. Heard a crash in the back room, then screaming so I ran back to see what had happened. Tons of people standing around screaming and crying. I had to tell them to call 911, then started CPR. The poor guy had serious heart damage from 2 prior heart attacks and didn't survive that one.

Third time a car wreck. SVU was on it's side. Blood curling screams of My baby, My baby. Bunch of people just standing around. Everybody was afraid to get near the SUV because they were afraid of a gas tank leak.
Sheesh, how much intelligence does it take to walk around the vehicle from a save distance, and see if you can see or smell gas. I don't understand how people could just stand there hearing that mother scream My baby and do nothing! Fortunately, there wasn't a gas tank puncture or I wouldn't be typing this!

So, yes, people do just stand around and do nothing. Don't ask me why, esp if a child is involved. I would rather be blown to smithereens and die knowing I tried to do something rather than standing around doing nothing.

My brother in law's cousin, who is a cop, told me I was just stupid. Maybe so but I'd rather be stupid than a do nothing when somebody's life is in danger.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join