It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Stocked Up Yet? Time Is Running Out

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
That may be. But I still think this is a good thread. The Old Farmer's Almanac (if you believe it) says that at least in my area, it will be one hell of a snowy winter. That means I need to have lots of supplies in my house if we can't get to the store much. Also, I saw my box of rice a year ago go from $2.99/box to now $5.49/box!!! Rice lasts for about 2 years, so if I stockpiled more of it last year, I would have saved myself a good chunk of change. I do see food prices going up, so if someone stockpiles on canned goods now, you probably are, from a logical viewpoint on this whole topic... saving yourself some money, regardless if anything bad happens or not in this world.

Originally posted by Erasurehead
reply to post by gormly

I could not agree with you more. This is fear mongering at it's worst. The OP is either paranoid or gets his kicks from creating panic. We heard the same BS for Y2K and after 9/11.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Another good books series is 'Foxfire'. It is about how the people in Southern Appalachia region lived. First published in 1972. They show how to butcher a hog, how to build a log cabin Google: Foxfire books.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by themamayada

The difference between Y2k and this economic crisis is that a potential computer glitch does not automatically lead to hyperinflation.

By "injecting" $4-5 trillion into banks and markets, hyperinflation is probably the only result. The price of goods naturally is increased by as much as 10-25%. The UN has been reporting all year that food is scarce and has urged nations to stockpile foods. And this was all before the crisis.

Fearmongering or not...it never hurts to be prepared anyhow.

No action could be just plain foolish. But, just my take.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead
reply to post by gormly

Gormly,

I could not agree with you more. This is fear mongering at it's worst. The OP is either paranoid or gets his kicks from creating panic. We heard the same BS for Y2K and after 9/11.

I do not know what the situation is in other countries but I can tell you that here in America one thing we do have plenty of is food. We grow our own grains so we do do rely on shipments from other places. These shipping problems will on effect us. I have a great big reservior of fresh drinking water not far from my home. I don't think it will be drying up any time soon. There is plenty of food and water to go around. There is no shortage.

You know what I find hilarious? People like you and Gormly will be the first pounding on peoples' doors begging and asking for food, shelter, and protection if something bad does happen. Just because you've been raised in a country where revolution and war are not a daily thing does not mean that it will not happen. If it can happen elsewhere on this planet, it can happen here. It would only take one major catastrophe to set this country into chaos. And fear rules the sheeple of the U.S., so I can assure you that it will be bad, and it will be a struggle to survive. That being said, it also does not hurt to just be prepared for anything. There's no harm in being prepared for the unexpected.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I hesitate to even reply to gormly, but let me put gormly in perspective here.
He wants posts like this to be banned. Amazing, this coming from someone whose last two threads that he/she started are:
A spaceship in Ft Lauderdale?
Is your anus acting weird?
from that post:

I dunno, I think something is going on, perhaps you guys can all help me out. Share your experiences.

I dunno, I think something is going on, perhaps you guys can all help me out. Share your experiences.
Maybe it's local, national, I don't know.

All I know is something odd is going on with my anus and I have others who have similar experiences.

Ok so it started a few weeks ago, I'd be driving home from work and I'd have to change my position.
I didn't think anything about it, I though maybe I needed a shower or something. Try as I might I just couldn't get comfortable. After while I forgot about it.

A day or so later the same thing happened only it was when I was going to work this time.
My pants were starting to stick to my "cheeks", it ws very annoying.
It continued while I was at work, I had to keep shifting my seat, it felt like I was holding back something serious. Try as I might I just couldn't get comfortable.

Next few days I get the same thing, something’s my anus would feel "full", sometimes it would feel contracted, sometimes it would burn, still others my anus would feel like it was harboring something, almost.. menacing like.

And HE is worrying about what a stupid thread this is? LOL!

First, the average Supermarket has only a 3 day supply of most food on hand. It doesn't take a nuclear war, or a stock market crash to cause the shelves to be bare.
For instance:
severe weather- Hurricanes, Blizzards, Tornadoes, etc.
a trucking strike
a rail strike
a grocery chain strike, especially if you live in an area with only ONE grocery store, as many people in rural areas do
A shutdown of the banks
lack of credit
bankruptcy

I suggest that if gormly doesn't like this thread, he/she should just not post here.

One further thing, if there is a disruption of some sort, what will you feed your family with- promises that it will be alright?

There is nothing wrong with stocking up. In fact, since hyper inflation is just an election away, you may just be ensuring your economic survival by stocking up while the food supplies are still relatively cheap.

For those that think that problems on the horizon are just paranoid thinking, let me remind you of what happened under Jimmy Carter:

As Jimmy Carter stepped before the television cameras in the East Room of the White House last Friday, his task was not just to proclaim another new anti-inflation program but to calm a national alarm that had begun to border on panic. Inflation and interest rates, both topping 18%, are so far beyond anything that Americans have experienced in peacetime—and so far beyond anything that U.S. financial markets are set up to handle

source:www.time.com...

Gormly, most of us will NOT stick their heads in a hole, and make believe nothing bad can happen, but since this is a free country(well, kind of, maybe not for long), you go ahead and dig that hole REAL DEEP and jump in it. Let the rest of the world pass you by.

I choose to be prepared, and obviously most of the posters here have common sense and are taking care of their families, and I applaud them for it.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I work for the second largest food wholesaler in the nation and I'm telling you right now that we have more food in stock than we can possibly ship and our suppliers are telling us the same thing with no indication of a disruption in supply.

So you're hearing this right from the horse's mouth, if you want to believe the other end of the horse, go right ahead.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

If an economic collapse were to directly affect the wholesale company, our grocery store company, or family purchasing the food with dollars...

...would it matter how much perishable food is sitting in a warehouse?

Not being argumentative, just simply asking if it matters how much food is there if the suppliers, distributors, and purchasers are all impacted by hyperinflation etc.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Curious_Agnostic
Stocking up is good, but it would also help to learn what plants and animals are edible in your particular location. Anybody got some useful links for that info?

Plenty of pets in our area!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntelRetard

Originally posted by Curious_Agnostic
Stocking up is good, but it would also help to learn what plants and animals are edible in your particular location. Anybody got some useful links for that info?

Plenty of pets in our area!

And I have a couple noisy ones in the evening hours too. Time to eat up!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
For those who don't "get it".... this isn't just about the economic situation in our country right now.

As we speak, tens of thousands of people in Texas are STILL without power from Hurricane Ike. Disasters happen. Harsh winters happen. Earthquakes happen. Some food storage could even benefit a family if the main breadwinner becomes unemployed.

Being prepared is just smart.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
A lot of good points. Some others are: have a garden and can the excess, have a root cellar for your vegatables these can be simple or big. Have a hobby that will help you and others for bartering i.e. I woodwork and blacksmith.

Learn from doing things the old traditional ways I do not use power tools for woodworking. A good magazine for learning is Early American it covers everything from root cellars to making bread and jelly/preserves.

I know growing up the way I did hunting, fishing and farming. I am already self sustained.

Good luck.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by thiscountryboycansurvive]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Excellent thread. Another thing to consider stocking are powdered (dehydrated) mixes. There are many dried foods that come in powders:

TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) Just add water and patty it up for garderburgers.
Hummus
Refried Beans
Eggs
Soups

Check your local co-op.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by MOFreemason
reply to post by Retseh

If an economic collapse were to directly affect the wholesale company, our grocery store company, or family purchasing the food with dollars...

...would it matter how much perishable food is sitting in a warehouse?

Not being argumentative, just simply asking if it matters how much food is there if the suppliers, distributors, and purchasers are all impacted by hyperinflation etc.

People still need to eat regardless of the state of the stock market, and that's one of the reasons I chose this industry, my second choice was medicine, same story.

Because that demand will always exist, food companies tend to survive economic crises very well, our numbers are actually up this year. While high end restaurants are suffering, chains like McDonalds, Burger King etc are posting healthy profit increases, and that means big volume for us. When they are depressed, people eat, but they eat cheap.

Take a look back at the great depression, those people who did best were the small grocery store owners.

Now if I worked in banking or financial services, I'd be hiding under a rock right now.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

our suppliers are telling us the same thing with no indication of a disruption in supply.

Well, there are truck driver members of ATS, and let me clue you in. If Obama or McCain try to re-implement the Mexican truck driver fiasco, the entire nation of track drivers will SHUT down America, and I'd be the FIRST to SUPPORT them.
SEMPER PARATUS

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Here is my post that has some good comments about how to prepare for tough times.

Prepare for the Depression

Think and prepare for the future.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by all2human
I am stocking for more than just my family,friends are worth more than gold in hard times

Soooooooo true! I even bought a piano and some sheet music so we can keep our spirits up if we have now power.
I LOVE people!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Yes, this is a good post. There are any number of reasons we could see supply disruptions besides the tanking economy. I fully expect to have to use at least some of my stored food in the next year. We may also see rationing and if that happens, it's too late to stock up. Remember, it doesn't take supply disruptions to empty the store shelves - just the rumor of supply disruptions can cause a panic and a run on groceries.

Please be a hero for your family and prepare for a worst case scenario. Even if it causes you embarrasment or makes your loved ones uncomfortable, do it anyway.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I'm not a person who is always talking about doomsday. But for these people who act like we CAN'T have a food shortage, then you need to seriously wake up. You think that America is SOOOOO good that nothing BAD can happen to us. I hope to god that nothing happens, but my wife last night after reading the articles that the OP put up, said that it's about time for us to make a list and go out and get some stuff. And she hardly believes anything on ATS, but we've been talking about getting prepared for the past 2 months. Listen, I'm not an easily scared person, but I'm starting to get there. There is too many things happening at the perfect time (timing is everything). Anyways, there's nothing wrong with being prepared.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by eradown
Dandilion leaves are edible and they are everywhere buy a cross bow ,a sling shot for hunting ,and a fishing pole.

Dandelions were brought to this country as a food plant... we simply forgot. They are rich in minerals like potassium and are similar in taste to spinach. The flowers are also edible and Dandelion wine is awesome.

Crossbow I have but pray tell... where shall the average city dweller hunt?

The Mormons:

Yes they are supposed to have a years supply and especially a 72 hour survival bug out kit for each family member. This kit is just smart if you live in flood zones, earthquake zones and tornado alley

Stocking up:

I hear many say a lack of money stops them... well look at your spending habits... Grocery stores have specials all the time. Learn to buy when an item is low and buy more...

There are day old bakery items in every store... Breads and cakes do not spoil in a day... you keep them in your house for days... cookies last for years... but the stores have a law that goes by date and they must sell by that date... Usually baked goods go for 50%

Discontinued items... they had a Cajun sauce they were no longer going to carry at our store... price went to 25 cents a jar ( I confess we were greedy and took the lot
)

Some chains mark down perishables on a daily basis near the end of the day... after that it goes in the trash bin (you would be amazed at what goes in the trash bins )

99 cent stores from time to time get lots of food that they must sell in a hurry.

Holidays... buy the candy AFTER the holiday. Chocolates and hard candy do not spoil. My kids are trained to wait till the days after and actually enjoy buying those marked down treats that were 1.00 before and now are 10 cents because they over stocked. Chocolates and hard candy are great for energy in an emergency and make a great battering item

Alcohol:

Even if you don't drink, look for the store specials on wine and spirits... I convinced a few Mormons of the value of this...

Spirits can be used as an antiseptic and pain killer in an emergency... but when supplies are low... think of the trade value

Freezers:

If you can buy a small second hand chest freezer.... usually can find one about 100.00 to 150.00 Breads, Veggies and Meat from sales freeze very well.

Generator:

Get a small generator and a few gallons of fuel... always good to have... only a couple hundred dollars for a good one...

The above two items work well together
I am willing to bet you spent more that that this month on video games or other frivolous stuff that you could have done without

Swimming Pools:

The water in pools is DRINKABLE in an emergency... you can always boil it to remove chlorine and sterilize it. Boiling water to clean it is something people seem to have forgotten

Other Essentials:

Water proof matches
TOILET PAPER (uh huh see if you can do without that for a month
)
Aspirins etc...

Make a list of things that YOU could not do without...

All of the above is simply common sense be prepared for an emergency like a natural disaster...

BUT all the stock piling in the world will not help if you don't have a plan B to move in a hurry... example New Orleans flood...

And then the nasty part.

Say you have been smart... You have laid in 6 months food supply for your family of four and now the crunch comes...

Well your parents did not heed the warnings and have nothing....

Will you share your stash?

Well your best friend was out shopping at the Malls while you stocked up... now they have nothing for their family of four...

Well your neighbors did not do much to prepare... but they know you did because you have been harping on it for months and they watched you shaking their heads as you brought home the goods...

NOW they understand that you were right...

And that doesn't include the crooks... the ones with the guns that move in wolf packs and will have no scrupples about raiding your stash...

So what will you do?

Are you prepared to turn away friends, family and neighbors?

Are you prepared to defend what is yours?

THINK ABOUT IT

[edit on 16-10-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Essentials – buy organic if possible

oil - vegetable, olive, peanut, sesame, whatever types you normally use
sugar, tubs of local honey, maple syrup
canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, salsa
dried and canned garbanzo, lentils, pinto, black beans etc
(buy in 25 lb+ bags)
rice / flour / pasta / oats
salt and seasoning
yeast
lemon / lime juice
canned fish
dried milk
juice
chocolate
dried fruit including raisins and dates (medjool are excellent)
peanut butter / almond butter / tahini / jam
baking supplies like vanilla, baking soda, baking powder
water (make sure to have enough for pets)
matches / lighters / flints / candles (don’t buy cheap candles because they can be toxic)
lanterns with fuel
toilet paper, dish soap, shampoo, soap, laundry soap
medication, contraception, period supplies,
battery operated radio and flashlights and extra batteries
toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss
food for pets
garden seeds – buy organic open-pollinated and store in a cool area
seeds for sprouting
cash
wine and liquor
jerry cans full of gas
sewing supplies / flannel / denim / canvas / scissors / thread