It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Stocked Up Yet? Time Is Running Out

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Speaking of trucks, I'm a business consultant and oftentimes assist companies in moving large amounts of freight around, etc etc. Oddly enough, normally you would schedule a pickup and get a bill a week or two later and then have 30 days to pay. Now, the same companies are tightening up alot - you get the bill the same day, then have 5 days to pay. So indeed "something" is going on in the trucking industry, seemingly negative (I'm sure we can speculate on the causes - gas, supply/demand, etc.)

ProfEmeritus
Actually, it has EVERYTHING to do with what we are discussing. Groceries are shipped from the warehouse to the store VIA TRUCK. Shutting down the trucks shuts down delivery.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by themamayada]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
E-ville, you reminded me a little of my dad's stories about the Depression. He was so poor, the state of NJ tried to take him and his brother away from my grandfather. They returned them eventually and gave them a 100 pound sack of puffed rice as some kind of gift. My grandparents on my mom's side were so cheap after the Depression that for the rest of their lives they counted every penny. It wasn't until 1994 that my grandmother went beyond the 75 cent single patty burgers at McDonalds and tried a Big Mac. She was actually afraid to go against my grandfather's wishes on that! My dad knew a guy who served in WW II in the Philipines. The soldiers and sailers left behind after McArthur retreated were forced to live under such hard awful conditions that when my dad met one in the 1950s he said the guy would pick up any and all screws, nuts, bolts, or wires he found and he always kept 2 sandwhiches wrapped in tinfoil inside his shirt, just in case...
I like to read accounts from guys who lived through events like that to get pointers on how they dealt with that level of privation.
Enjoy-Polarbear6

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I work in the logistics business. This is fear mongering. There will always be trucks to move things. Yes have a few days on hand any well prepared person should but stocking up for months is just not needed.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
personally i dont believe anything will happen, this is the same crap that gets posted week in and week out ...guys its happening stock up and blah blah blah.., obviously others will disagree..buts lets see i will apologise to everyone if im wrong, personally i think NOTHING will come of this...this is a conspiracy site after all right???wasnt there gonna be a meltdown of the world currency a week ago and last month, and last year ...

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
reply to post by tsloan

Man....can we try to stir up any more scare tactics???? There's not going to be a shortage of food. Just like when wallstreet imploded the other day America didn't shut down...Come on... This should be filed under the same crap as the October 14th or was it the 15th or now it's the 16th Mass U.F.O. sightings and such... Just stop the non-sense use your common sense if you havent lost it by watching the news and other fear monging out-lets..

You haven't REALLY read all the posts, have you?
If people have no money because they have lost their jobs or their 401K's (down 50% for most people), they WON'T be able to BUY FOOD!
Preparing for the worst, while you still have some money left is PRUDENT, NOT SCARE TACTICS.

Look, no one is MAKING you do anything. You continue to live in your fairy-tale world. The rest of us will make sure that we take care of our families. My parents had to live through the depression, eating mashed potato sandwiches to survive, and that was on a GOOD Day. My parents lost their jobs, and also had no savings. Tens of millions of people were in the same boat. So, when the markets and banks CONTINUE to crash, you BELIEVE it WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN?

WHO is the one that has DELUSIONS?
I suggest it is YOU.

People aren't being scared, they are being realists and being prepared. If you don't like it, don't prepare.
You be the grasshopper. We'll be the ant. Now hop along and sing a merry tune, while the rest of us prepare for winter.

No I didn't have to read alllllllllll......the way through. I can see that there are enough people who decide to be reactive to events that happen every day and not pro-active to deflect a burdened economy. Do I blame them at point no & yes. When poeple choose to take a career course they make that choice because they are to in the current to forcast what might happen 20 years down the road. So yes in fault I do lay blame, just like I lay blame for those who vote to put both of these twp parties who have constructed this mess some people are in. There is enough blame to go around.

But what doesn't need to happen is the infecting spread of fear of mass U.F.O. landings and dooms day terrorist acts and global market food shortages. You go right ahead and prepare for what ever you feel ...Welcome to America! I'll keep right on standing here saying that your spreading fear tactics cause...thats right I too can do that I live in America.

The danger here is the minds that can't take a rational thought on a daily basis and figure things out with-out in-put from out-side source...these same sources that scream bomb in a crowded mall just to see the rats scurry about in panic and in hope they will turn the ones who create panic for answers to feed there own narcissistic needs in life.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I remember all of this just before the year 2000. I remember how everything was going to fail......and it didn't.

This is also just like every bad snow storm we get and everyone heads to the store to stock up.

I am going to ride this out as I always do and not change anything that I am doing. I won't be stocking up on anything.

I won't be buying that Tug boat full of food and setting sail for nowhere anytime soon.

I won't call this fear mongering nor will I call it BS.

Rice though? Buy soup and twinkies. They have a very long shelf life.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I am not sure if this has been asked yet. I am sure it has been some where so I apologize.

What preparations has fellow members taken for your animal companions? How much dog/cat food do you stock up on?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Well... I have been saying - rather over and over here - that the CREDIT issue was much more important than what the stock market feels like doing. Because...

It is what our food distribution network relies upon.

Not just the credit given to buy goods and raw materials for food production, but also in the fuel to transport anything.

I was rather mystified that so many - I guess ALL who read my comments - had nothing to say in response.

Well. Here is the beginnings of my prediction.

It is wise to ensure that you have much for these coming dark days.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I am finally glad to see the filthy rich get theirs!!!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by fishneedh2o

Look here to find out the shelf life of various dog foods.

Shelf Life of Pet Food

We just got two more bags of dog food.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by wdkirk
I remember all of this just before the year 2000. I remember how everything was going to fail......and it didn't.

This is also just like every bad snow storm we get and everyone heads to the store to stock up.

I am going to ride this out as I always do and not change anything that I am doing. I won't be stocking up on anything.

The y2k thing was a problem that was known about many years ahead of time and was well knows and easly corrected, this is a economic problem on global scale, this isn't adding 2 digits in a computer program.

as for not saving some food and supplies for a rainy day.. well thats your perogitive but making this sound like a programming error is just plain way off base.

If history want enough for people to learn from then so be it.. i learn from others past mistakes and intend not to repeat them or lessen the risks that may come with them , that's the same reason i have insurance on my car my home, mye health , and my life etc.. to lessen risks that may come with the situations that statistically do arrive.

How many recessions have we had in the last 100 years.. and how many disasters, how many really bad snow storms, statistically the people who stockpile are right on the money and well justified in having supplies on hand.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by cashlink
I am finally glad to see the filthy rich get theirs!!!

Um, the filthy rich are doing just fine; the middle class and the poor will suffer during this depression.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
treply to post by Wildbob77

Thank You Bob

Might be a wise decision do stock up on a couple of bags of dry dog food.

Not a one line post.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by fishneedh2o How much dog/cat food do you stock up on?

Since its a whole lot cheaper in the 50 lb bags that is an easy one.
And my cats are quite good catching those pesky pigeons

I work hard to make a buck... if by buying cheap and stock piling I can save a lot of those bucks, it gives me more to play with... simple economics

A while back they ran a special on Coffee 4.85 for the big cans of Yuban Columbian... 2 limit per sale... It is now 'on sale' for 9.00 a can... due to fuel costs...

Well its not very hard to go in and out of the store a few times to beat that limit
And sealed cans of coffee? I'm good for a few years

[edit on 16-10-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SEEWHATUDO

Oh sorry, I misunderstood you. Yes, that would be a great help. We have stores that double coupons, and once in awhile, they have triple coupons. That's when we usually clean out our coupon folder!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Just don't hop my way... because we don't take kindly to locusts raiding the crops

Good one Zorgon. I like it!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by fishneedh2o
Might be a wise decision do stock up on a couple of bags of dry dog food.

Temperature is a key factor. In hot regions you need to find a way to kept a controlled temp on your storage room. In Vegas cans left in the garage will explode

Some foods like Honey and Peanut Butter both excellent sources of energy keep forever. Honey has been found in Egyptian tombs and is perfectly edible.

Honey is also great on wounds

[edit on 16-10-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Save those large tins you get at Christmas that are full of popcorn. Clean those up really well and use them for pet food......sugar.......flour.............excellent storage containers for stock piling.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by theRiverGoddess]

link   
This is a great thread. I live in Labrador so growing things is limited, but this thread is definitely bookmarked. I probabl won't be stocking up any time soon, but It's good to have some good tips from you knowledgeable folks.

Btw, where are all my fellow..."plant enthusiasts
"....with their indoor growing wizardry? hehehe

link   
reply to post by E-ville

Can you even imagine not eating for days, and considering a onion sandwich a good meal?

Sounds just like my parents. As I posted earlier, on a GOOD day, they ate mashed potato sandwices. Meat was virtually unheard of. The only thing that kept them going was a large vegetable garden. My father would get odd jobs hear and there, just enough to keep them from starvation.
That is why it steams me to see posts where people say it can't happen here. CLUE TO THEM- IT DID HAPPEN HERE, and IT CAN AGAIN.
I for one, will not take the chance that my children and grandchildren will starve. We're prepared to feed them all for quite awhile.

Good post.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by ProfEmeritus]

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join