It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Stocked Up Yet? Time Is Running Out

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
has anyone mentioned, already, about booze? Trading is always usually best with those things that are most wanted. Cigs, alcohol, painkillers...

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
Also stockpile a ton of matches

Allow me to suggest lightmyfireusa.com...

I am still reading through the thread so I'll edit this post a bit later to add more comments.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by cognoscente
This is essentially a self perpetuated problem. What's been happening, due to the consternation surrounding this great financial meltdown, is that people are in fact stocking up on bulk and canned foods. The suppliers of your regular grocery stores can not keep up with this incredible spike in demand for these goods.

Pure MALARKY Smith's runs case lot specials every few months specifically to help people stock up... but then Smith's is Mormon owned

My wife works at Freash and Easy a new chain making inroads. Their current policy is to OVERSTOCK just to ensure the demands are met... which means daily specials galore while they determine their customer base. And as a result their dumpsters are full of daily excess

If the ONLY reason you want to stock up is to save MONEY, now is the best time ever. Any smart businessman would see the current trend and rub his hands together at potential sales

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by thiscountryboycansurvive
If you live in a rural area raise your own chikens.
Cheers.

My Mormon neighbor 2 doors down. right downtown Las Vegas, has chickens. They produce so many eggs he supplies three neighbors with a weekly bowl of eggs because he can't use them all.

He got a rooster once but that was a little much for some ... that morning wakeup call ya know

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
My grandmother tells stories of the depression and they were one of the fortunate families that actually had a breadwinner with a job.. many were not so fortunate, she recalls eating onion sandwiches.. slices onions on bread, and this was when they had money coming into the family, she mentioned that there were strings of days they would not eat at all, as there was nothing to eat. She recalls many of her friends that didn't have a breadwinner in the family spending there days in soup lines or searching dumpsters for food or eating berries or fruit from trees that they stole out of yards.

Can you even imagine not eating for days, and considering a onion sandwich a good meal? Really can any one in this era even identify with this, I used to wonder why my grandparents saved everything, every plastic bag, paper bag, cigar boxes, cardboard boxes, everything it seemed they saved.. why because they were raised in the depression where everything was scarce and you used everything you possibly could.

Go talk to some older people that lived through it, yes some were pretty well off and didn't suffer allot but most had it tough. Now think of today when there are very very few people that have gardens, many in large cities that don't cook meals at home.. some don't even know how to cook basic things like bread. It would be far worse today than back in the 20-30s when electricity was a novelty, not the norm.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by cbass

Speaking of convenient and cheap water purification: You can purify water by bottling it into transparent plastic bottles and exposing them to about 5-8 hours of direct sunlight (and no more) This is not a 100% perfect way to purify water but it is better than nothing.

The UV in the sunlight will kill everything in it. Don't leave the water any longer than needed in the sun to prevent algae growth.

www.communicationagents.com...

-rrr

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

no no everybody should hate wal-mart

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I've made a blade out of an old lawnmower blade and another arm swing with a back you can trust against yours is always a good thing.

Well I have my own 'support group' but we could use a good blacksmith
Lots of wild horses here in Nevada if transport becomes an issue...

Also hanging meat outside Native style works great here in Vegas 120 degrees and dry in the summer Lay your herbs out in that and 'poof' Instant dry...

Also for fire starter... find a good lens from an old telescope... add a little kindling and a little sunshine....

I saw someone mention 'baking soda' That stuff has many uses...

It is really great for skin ailments... just check up on that... may even reverse skin cancer in some cases

Also great in the bath... removes all odor without adding nasty chemicals from perfumes soaps to your skin

Puts out fires, soaks up acid, all sorts of uses

Vegetable oil works great in lanterns... A small wick in a bowl of oil and you get a bright white flame with no smoke... you have seen these in those little liquid candles they sell. Also a good stock item in case of power outages They are sealed, cheap and last forever

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by E-ville
Can you even imagine not eating for days, and considering a onion sandwich a good meal?

Yup sure can... but I LIKE onion sandwiches

People are silly they go to McDonalds and buy Onion rings errr onion slice dipped in bread batter and fried in oil vs fried onion on bread with/without butter

Funny I don't see the difference

Bacon grease... back in the war in German my parents would save that. Then cut up some onions and fry them into the grease... let it cool and spread it on bread...

Guess what? It tastes REALLY good... and is a very good meal when there is nothing else... Funny thing is... now you can buy it as a delicacy

Onions are easy to grow... you simply stick one in a flower pot and that's it. One chive plant in the garden produces so much you can't use it all. We have mint, sage, rosemary and others mixed in the ornamental garden Constant source of fresh herbs and spices... Seen what they cost lately?

Live in an apartment? No problem A grow light and flower pots. Herbs smell good too

Radishes 30 days from seed to eat...

Nevermind the survival issue... its just great to have the fresh produce WITHOUT all the chemical crap and sprays

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Fabric diapers

flint (on top of as many matches as you can get your hands on!)

cast iron pots and pans (weighs a ton, but lasts forever)

plenty of thread for mending

cheesecloth for straining (especially if you life out in the sticks like I used to, and have a goat, or cow) laugh if you want, but being able to strain is a good thing.

glass bottles, canning goods, plenty of paraffin wax

leather needles and thread- you're talking about killing all these animals; well, waste not, want not. take the hide, clean it and use it- a leather needle will make sewing that stuff into water bags, ect, a heckuvalot easier!

once again, useful things if you live in the country:
(I'm from the middle of nowhere, so please bear with me)

a bale of chicken wire (because if you catch wild turkeys/chickens, you can always keep them penned for eggs, and eventually meat, as well)

heavy duty farming wire, for repairs.

heavy duty shovels, a post shovel'll be really useful-When I was a kid, my grandfather used that thing for everything!

Dig a well while you still can. There are pumps out there that you can get that will not freeze in winter, or at least require little maintainence for colder weather. The deeper the well, the better (cleaner) the water you'll get from it... and odds are, the longer it'll last.

learn how to make your own candles- if you live in an area that has a lot of waxy berries, you can boil them, 'harvest' the wax, and go from there.

Personally, I don't know that I believe it'll get so bad that anyone needs to do these things just for survival- but it's always good to be prepared. My grandparents always kept a 16 month supply of food in the basement, rotated every time we went grocery shopping, dug -not one- two wells for fresh water so that we didn't have to rely on the city, work from propane fuel, but have the option of using firewood, planted fruit trees for canning, and have a very large garden, where they eep their ow seeds and replant every year; not because they were afraid of Y2K, or the world ending, or another depression- but because they believed that being prepared was the best way to be.

I think that's a good idea, all on it's own.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Everyone should spend some time and make a list of their own. I've been living on a farm for the last 4 years and since we tend to have rather lengthy and harsh winters we are usually very well stocked. We basically grow all our food and have a fair number of animals at any given time.

Unfortunately my emergency list start with: Insulin; so my advice to you is don't underestimate your need for medicine. You might not need any but other people's lives might depend on it greatly.

Kind regards.

Edit to add: If you can, and it's legal where you are stock up on some cannabis seeds. They are excellent nutrients ( the seeds ) and the stalks have the highest fiber per acre yield. These can be used to make things like paper, rope, clothing...

[edit on 16-10-2008 by Manawydan]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Wow, I have never seen such unmitigated fear mongering on ATS.

Stores aren't going to run out of food for the foreseeable future. The media hypes up every time a warehouse shortage occurs because they love spreading panic and hysteria.

This is the same thing they do to cause gas unncessary gas panic - find 1 gas station in a city with 1,000 of them and report that they are out of gas, and the public will panic and drain the rest of them.

The MSM and the government thanks you for your cooperation/panic.

In 3 days, on 10/19 when all stores still have food, I'm going to come back and point out how ridiculous this was. However, those on ATS who enjoy acting hysterical never learn, I'm quite sure I'll be ignored. And on 10/19, someone will post another panic thread and people will run to the stores needlessly again...

And no, this isn't just about "being prepared for any emergency." You could do that without the fear mongering and attempts to stir up panic.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by LowLevelMason]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Manawydan

I know what you mean. Personally, I keep several months worth of my medication on hand- but eventually, that will run low, too. That could be a pretty high worry for those of us who use medication to live functioning lives.

So now I have another question; what about those who have deadly allergies? Even if you stocked up o the epi's, there's always the worst case scenario that they run out. Especially if there's more than one person in the family with said allergy.

Any suggestions?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by LowLevelMason

I agree in regards to the fear mongering, but in all honesty, it's probably not harmful for folks to know the worst-case scenario survival methods, right? I was taught from a young age to always be prepared for the worst.

You're right; it only takes one spark to make everyone believe that there's an inferno, which is a shame.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by dcrocus

I understand you completely. My situation is much the same. Eventually, it will run out, and much like you, I share my condition with members of my family too. The way I look at it, only thing you can do is rationalize it for as long as it lasts. All in all, I've come to terms with my realization, that my life would not have been possible without modern medicine, so I try to make the most of it. ( ain't that something we all should be doing anyways? )

Cheers

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
What we should do, and what we actually do every day are two different things, I think.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Regardless of whether we are heading for global meltdown, stocking up on specials saves you money, and means if you have financial problems you can still eat. I've done this ever since leaving university, when i spent 4 months living on a food and necessities budget of £6.00 a week.

All i had was rice, tuna, eggs, beans or tomatoes, and bread. I had reached the stage of pulling mouldy bread out of a bin and frying it before I got some money coming in-don't think it couldn't happen to you!

Ever since then i've stocked up every time i see a special offer and it saves me time, money, and worry.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LowLevelMason
Wow, I have never seen such unmitigated fear mongering on ATS.

This must be your first visit then.

But there are more of these garbage threads these days, sigh, I'm still waiting for the suspension of the federal banking transfer system and the imposition of martial law that 2 other threads are saying is about to happen.

This site isn't about denying ignorance, it's about cultivating paranoia.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

If you live in a rural area raise your own chikens.
Cheers.

My Mormon neighbor 2 doors down. right downtown Las Vegas, has chickens. They produce so many eggs he supplies three neighbors with a weekly bowl of eggs because he can't use them all.

He got a rooster once but that was a little much for some ... that morning wakeup call ya know

I have a buddy in San Diego, some south of the border folks moved in their neighborhood. Fairly soon a corn crop front and back yard and chickens running around the culdesac.
I luaghed so hard he hung up till I calmed down (maybe it had something to do with the resale value:@@

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Interesting topic! This discussion reminds me of the discussion prior to New Years 2000. The Just In Time marketing was a topic of concern back then, too. If you're looking to start stocking up on food, do yourselves a few favors and learn from the Y2K crowd's experience.
1. Don't tell anyone what you're doing! No one needs to know what you're going to do or what you have. Think of it as operational security.
2. If you have cans now, make sure they're not already old. Canned food apparently loses its nutritional value after a certain amount of time. The beanieweanies might taste the same, but they might be the equivalent of cardboard.
3. Get a grain mill for all that grain you're buying or contemplating buying. You'll need something to make it edible. I learned the hard way when I figured a coffee grinder would do the trick. The oats were like sawdust!
4. Try growing your own stuff. Learn to can what you grow, too. It's a remarkable experience growing your own food and then saving it for later. I have learned more than I ever expected gardening.
5. Get a lot of toilet paper! If you're worried about shortages, TP might be an important issue! Those with little ones might want to think ahead about daipers, too.
6. Household meds, too. Aspirine and other stuff of that nature.
7. A few extra batteries for those flashlights, radios, smoke alarms, etc. are a good idea.
8. It doens't hurt to put aside goodies, too, for the occasional moral boost. I was kind of impressed when I found these Japanese freeze-dried icecream cones in a Korean store. Those were pretty cool! I also think energy bars and nutrition bars aren't a bad idea.
Just some of my thoughts on the subject.
Enjoy-Polarbear6

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join