It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Stocked Up Yet? Time Is Running Out

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
There are many wild plants that are edible, however, I would advise that people buy a field guide (with pictures!) to use in the event that the internet is not available. Plants such as wild carrot belong to a large family (which includes Queen Anne's lace) and while they look like their edible relatives, they could be toxic. Salsify (aka goatsbeard, jack go to bed at noon, oyster plant) is a small family consisting of only 3 plants, all which have edible roots and taste like parsnips. The list of edible wild plants is huge, but I can't stress enough how important it is to be able to identify things correctly. Other useful tips include:

choke cherry tree-the bark may be made into a cough syrup
Parsley- for those of us not living in a climate that has citrus, parsley has 3 times the amount of vitamin C, and may be grown, dried and stored easily
sage officinalis- perennial herb that is good for many ailments and makes wild turkey stuffing tasty too!
Also remember that if you are buying seeds, make sure they are heirloom, genetically modified seeds are sterile and will not supply you with the next years seeds as nature intended.
Plant as many edible and medicinal perennials as you can in your flower gardens ( i.e. wood sorrel, a great substitute for spinach, high in iron)

This is my first post after years of lurking, and I'm glad to finally contribute something!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Question... I've been trying to figure out what kind of stuff to stock up on that we can "barter" if we have to. I can cook, sew, garden (and am a business consultant, but that would probably be useless in survival mode)... and the husband is very handy with fixing things - so those services can be trade-able. Besides lead and food, what other "things" are trade-able in times of crisis?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Towgunner0352

"My food storage Is a rife and a 9 mil. I plan on finding the guy with the al gore, democratic bumber sticker on their car and take their stuff. I will give them a reason to hate guns"

I suggest that you don't assume that we don't have guns as well. Gun stores sell to us and we might not agree with the guns are bad propaganda. I suggest hunting for a wealthy person if you insist of being a murderous thief. They have more food than we tree-huggers. We know how to eat wild foods.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by bricmpt]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   
If the SHTF and it really gets that bad, I live in probably what is the safest area in the world, in all regards. One of the most beautiful as well. The tablelands of far north Queensland, Australia. I have all the land, knowledge and contacts needed to survive confidently -- even if starting off with nothing. But that wouldn't be the case as I'm making it a habit of constantly expanding our gardens and knowledge.

Just thought I'd put that out there in case anyone is actually interested in moving to a much safer part of the world. The opportunity is there.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by InnerOuterInfinite

I did not mean to come across " selfish " in my eariler post. Sorry if I offended anyone. I plan to help as many people as I can.....but I make sure that I don't broadcast it to the wrong people and put myself in danger.

One good barter-able commodity ( believe it or not ) will be cigarettes!
and alcohol.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I don't smoke, but what's the shelf life on tobacco products? Would it be better in terms of barter to stock up on nicotine replacement things like gum etc?, since anyone going crazy for a hit will probably want those almost as much as cigarettes, and they're more likely to keep permanently, (or reasonably permanently)

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Here is something no one has mentioned... I plan on buying a bunch of these

www.rare-earth-magnets.com...

The most powerfull I can afford.

I am also working on designing and building a multistage water purifier, that will utilize sand, Rock, charcoal, a still, and a comercial water filter at the end.

Sailor

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Inannamute

Cigarettes are best. No one having a nicotine fit wants a patch or a piece of gum. As for shelf life I am not sure. As long as you have electricity keep them in the freezer. During the "great" depression even the elite would pick cigarettte butts out of the gutter!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Does someone know of a good shopping list of recommended items to have/buy?

I'm no survivalist, but I'd like to at least be somewhat prepared.

I wonder if a good handgun/rifle/shotgun would also be recommended?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by gormly

Mate, if the # were to hit the fan....aslong as their prepared.
Having a stockpile of food and water dosent need to be just for the end of the world. It could be used for relief in a cyclone or similar. If not, they could still eat it in the end.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Don't forget all types of nuts and also peanut butter for protein. Have at least 10 gallons of water (more is good) in case water is shut off.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I stocked up a few weeks ago - Webbot has been right about everything so far - they say this will last until next summer - stock up for 4 to 5 months.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by gormly

Ask the people of new orleans if this could never happen?

we have forgotton how to look after ourselves and a bit of food and survival knowledge, in case of ... hurricane, flood, major earthquake and war to name a few .. are u telling me these things never happen either?

i know the OP is related to the global economy , and i dont buy into that ..yet.... but it does not hurt to be prepared for any of the above situations.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I am stocking up on beer and potato chips. I hope the NFL games will still be on.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Hi there, I Just read this thread and i'd like to throw in my two pennys worth.

If like your all saying things are going to get "bad". there's one thing your not talking about, and that is, what the government will do in this type of sinario, declare marshall law, they will come round your house and TAKE the things you have "stocked up with" and redistribute them from designated shelters so that ALL not just a few will benefit, take away your weapons, and most likely put you all into "containment camps" (which are allready set up under your FEMA)
It seems to me that the only way out if a situation like your all talking about, is to live like the armish (did i spell that right?)comunities, ie: HELP each other overcome any and all eventualities,
Also have you thought of the prospect that once the "supply lines have ceased" no fuel will be able to get to power generating facilities, so NO ELECTRICITY, do any of you remember when there was a "power outage" in the north east of america a couple of years ago?, it caused panic!!. I'm not saying it WILL happen only that it is a possibility, after all the only thing in life that is garanteed is that we will all eventually die, everything else is just speculation, (that may be a quote from some-one?)
We live in a fraudulant society, we live under the rule of deception, so that all that looks bad is not nessacerily so, under the surface thing are different. I for one think there is a guiding hand to all of this (think NWO), to give the illution of one thing while fermenting something else.
There are plenty of conspiracys around so choose the one that fits best with the "facts" (David Ike comes to mind).
IMHO the human species is INSANE, we blindly follow the "rules" even when we know that they are harmfull (not just to ourselves but to ALL living things on the planet), and if, just IF there was one amongst us who was truely sane, what do you think would happen to him/her??. IF your messiah (whatever your religious beliefs) came "back", how do you think they would react to what they see around them?, do you think they would "comply" with it or go against it? (I'm an atheist untill convinced otherwise) sorry to bring that up but you have to throw in the morality issue, (step out of the "box" your in to really "see" what is going on around you)
Life is very complicated, and you have to have a sound base from which to grow from.
Sorry if this post seems "off-topic", but the world do'snt revolve around "ME", WE is the word, we all have our own dilemers to contend with in life.
If you "panic" buy it will CREATE the situation you "think" will happen (as has been alluded to in other posts, like a dominoe affect)
I am from the UK so we do things a little different, each to his own.

Let me leave you with this, YESTERDAY IS A MEMORY, TOMORROW IS BUT A DREAM, ONLY "NOW" EXISTS AND ALWAYS WILL.

Take care all

ZEEK, (the Guru)UK

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
We have been stocking up on emergency supplies for the past four months.Every time you go to the store pick up a extra bag of rice and beans store them in a cool dry container in your home.Not the tastiest of fair but it will sustain life . Also stock up on plenty of ammunition for all of your weapons. If you don't have a firearm get one while you can and learn how to use it.
Keep this in mind"there is only a 72 hour supply of food at your local market at any one time. If you wait until their is a emergency it will be to late. Plan now for what is coming!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I would add cayanne pepper.
Medicinal,flavorful and best of all prevents cold feet.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
okay, the problem with this, is just like the gas issue we just got over here in Georgia..where everyone panicked and filled they're cars up, even when they didn't need to, and used up all the gas, where as instead if they had just chilled out, conserved, and stayed calm, only buying gas when they absolutely had to, our problem wouldn't have been so bad. this is the same thing...we go panicking, and all of us go into stores and stockpile a bunch of canned goods, and boxed goods, and sure enough...we will see a food shortage, and it will have nothing to do with shipping, but everything to do with us not conserving, nor staying calm. is it good to be prepared? yes..but to panic and cause the problem ourselves? no.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Hello All - I have buying food for about 8 months and I have found that the best things to buy are the stuff you might normally eat:
mac-n-cheese
algratin/scalloped potatoes/instant potatoes
cans of chicken/tuna/roast beef
tuna helper
rice/beans
spices
flour/sugar/coffee/koolaid/brown sugar
cooking oil
corn bread mix/jiffy mixes
baking soda/powder/yeast
spag sauces/noodles
chicken broth/noodles