It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Stocked Up Yet? Time Is Running Out

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by gormly

I am on the TWZ bandwagon and it has been pretty right on correct of late.I am not sowing any seeds of fear,calling this a crash.It is a slide into novelty,resonating with the pre-revolutionary times.Inexplicable to you,perhaps,it does work for the rest of us.And currently the slide is smooth with no big surprises other than a continuing trend.Our job is to deal with it in a loving manner.Love thyself,then love thy neighbor as thyself.This OP is about visualizing and implementing a plan for surviving.Not about visualizing despair and catastrophe,as you ASSert.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by themamayada

Barter: booze, smokes, and a major thing-toilet paper! Oh, and don't forget seeds - buy heirloom seeds so you can get seeds back from your crops and barter them. Candles and matches good for bartering too. Gas in 5 gallon cans might come in handy too.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by gormly

Gormly,

I could not agree with you more. This is fear mongering at it's worst. The OP is either paranoid or gets his kicks from creating panic. We heard the same BS for Y2K and after 9/11.

I do not know what the situation is in other countries but I can tell you that here in America one thing we do have plenty of is food. We grow our own grains so we do do rely on shipments from other places. These shipping problems will on effect us. I have a great big reservior of fresh drinking water not far from my home. I don't think it will be drying up any time soon. There is plenty of food and water to go around. There is no shortage.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I'm at work so I can't read through the whole thread. So if already let me know the page # or thread. Great thread by the way.

Does anyone have any suggestions for those of us that live in apartments. I would love to have my own garden, but it isn't really possible for me to do at this point in time. Been meaning to get a water filtration system, and defiantly going to learn how to can foods and make my own bread. thanks again

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Yep I'm stocked up.

Just like I was stocked up for October 12th...and October 14th...

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
ramen baby, cheap as hell and filling enough. sucks to only have that, but i've lived off of it before.

edit-- o ya. and it takes me forever to finish it off. not worried about anything

[edit on 2008/10/16 by joe_dirt976]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
New here, lurked for a few months.. had to pipe up here..

I have always had stocks on hand for the inevitable events , even if the economy stays fine here in the wild north storms in the winter can knock out power for a week.. think about this, no power means no water, no heat and no cooking for most people, I have gas stove, wood heat, and my own well that can be powered by a genset if needed.

We have wood heat and enough food, water supplies, and ammo to get us through a few months very comfortably , but could be stretched 5-6 if needed.

In the event of another great depression one thing to keep in mind is a skill that will feed you any allow barter.. having chickens can feed you eggs and meat and also provide great barter items, same goes for rabbits.. minus the eggs, rabbits are very easy to care for and feed and they produce 1000% of the females body weight in off spring in a year.. the offspring are ready in 8 weeks for culling, not bad for a very easy to care for piece of livestock that even a apartment dweller could pull off in a big city.

Having a stock pile is great but having lots of ammo ( and I mean 5000+ rounds) and a way to perpetuate your food supply, like small livestock, and garden plans (get seeds now) will provide for long term food and barter items.

Also get group of local survivalists together and form a group so that when it does hit the fan you can pool resources.. having a tightly knit group could prove to be invaluable.

Keep in mind in the last depression wild game was scarce as it was over hunted by starving people.. and now we have way more people on the planet.. don't rely on a food source that could potentially not be there.

As for these people that say that preparing is stupid or nuts.. Yeah sure, have you ever been with out power for a week, have you ever went a week with out eating.

And as for the "I got guns, I'll rob people.." the prepared people have guns and food.. I'd highly not recommend going after them, they are prepared they will have far more resources than you will.

being prepared isnt nuts, its very smart.. most people 100 years ago had months worth on hand because they knew it was imparitive to there survival, now most city dwellers don't have more than a few days of food on hand. I know some big city dwellers that dont even cook they just eat out all the time. Some dont even know hgow to cook simple meals.. If a great depression happened in this day and age , man would it be brutal, and honestly the economy isnt looking all that far off a great depression type senerio.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Don't know if any of you have a Big Lots in your area but it is a great place to find bargains on rice, lo mein noodles, etc. and they often get in shipments of protein bars that are like 3 for a dollar. I buy some every time I see them and keep them in a freezer bag in the freezer. I eat one a few times a week but keep adding to it.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by themamayada

little pints of cheap whisky, and .22LR ammo will be the currencies of choice, IMHO

one linin' and big timin.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I've only just begun stocking up. I don't have much as of right now. But, I'm acquiring little by little. I've got a water purification system, so I'm not too worried about that aspect.

More importantly, I took a trip home (to my parents) to pick up my shot gun. I'm taking no chances. If I've got to survive on squirrel, rabbit, and foul - I'll just have to make do. I've printed out pages of local edit plants.

Also mapped out back roads to my parents land. It's the safest place I know with a reservoir close by and abundance of wildlife. I'd be afraid to travel main roads for the populations of people abandoning the cities and fear of highway piracy. I'd stick to rail road bridges if one could.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

Rossi and New England Firearms makes combo weapons with a rifle and a shotgun barrel, for an excellent price.

google those, you may find one at your local flea market or online gun auction for a song...

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Day by day for the past 3 months I have been stocking up on dry goods, can goods, ect. I also have been dehydrating fruit/veggies/meat.
I purchased a dehydrator, but one can simply dry out veggies by slicing them, blanch them in hot water for 1-2 min. then place them on a cookie sheet, in the oven, on 200 degrees, for a few hrs, until they look dried.
I also take left over bread heels that no one wants, and cube them, drying them on a cookie sheet in the oven.
We have also purcased a generator

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead
reply to post by gormly

Gormly,

I could not agree with you more. This is fear mongering at it's worst. The OP is either paranoid or gets his kicks from creating panic. We heard the same BS for Y2K and after 9/11.

I do not know what the situation is in other countries but I can tell you that here in America one thing we do have plenty of is food. We grow our own grains so we do do rely on shipments from other places. These shipping problems will on effect us. I have a great big reservior of fresh drinking water not far from my home. I don't think it will be drying up any time soon. There is plenty of food and water to go around. There is no shortage.

Ok, I can agree with you on some of that. Yes, we do have a lot of stuff like grain grown in the US.. This is true. But, what happens when the trucking companies can't use the company credit cards to fill their tanks with gas?? Or there is no electricity to power the trains?? That means that the grain you speak of for example will not be delivered. So, regardless on what we grow here, it won't make a difference if there is no way to get it to all the people. Thats why it is smart to stock up. Nothing to do with fear mongering, just basic common sense.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I don't get what it is with this stocking up thing.
If it is that bad, to that point, it wouldn't matter about food as we are all just as doomed as each other.
Do you think protecting your home with your stores of food with your shotgun, is going to work when 400 starving people storm your house?
Im sure you have learned lots from movies and are quite confident but,
in reality, your gonna die and most of them are gonna eat.

Stop stocking up like its the end of the world because its stupid.
Because if it is the end of the world you wont be able to eat anyway because you will be deceased.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SEEWHATUDO

Also a great site to check out is
www.couponmom.com

Yes, I agree. The problem we have is that none of the grocery stores in our area will accept coupons printed off of the internet.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
A handy book to have around is'Nuclear War Survival Skills' by Cresson H. Kearney. A very excellent resource on making bomb/blast shelters, Kearney Fallout Meters, Bucket Stoves, Nutritional requirements. A few tips: 1. Before the nukes destroy the major cities, the first nuke to be detonated will be a high altitude airburst to create an electro-magnetic pulse to knock out electricity. Foods stored in freezers/refrigerators will spoil very fast. 2. Don't depend on 'living off the land', hunting, fishing, open fields drinking water from resevoirs, underground springs, creeks, rivers because of the amount of radio-active fallout particles. 3. The Kearney Fallout Meters only detect radio-activity in a generalized area (room in a building, etc) you can't use them to detect radio-activity on a person, you still need a Geiger counter for that purpose.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Res Ipsa
I heard this before when the truckers across America went on strike.
There is money in trade, in shipping, in everything involved, and where there is money to be made...someone is going to make it. Where are the gas lines we were suppose to have? The $10 gallon gas?
Life goes on with its hills of prosperity and valleys of adjustments.

I personally welcome some adversity because it is during these times that we finally realize that we are a community and need each other. (remember the first couple of days after 9/11?)

When we don't have problems to solve we go our seperate selfish ways,
we weren't created to live like that, but we haven't learned that yet have we?
To those of you that ask the question; "why is it that if your God is all loving that he allows such tragedy to happen in the world"? There is your answer. It brings us together.
But I guess you could be right, we could certainly choose to be nothing more than scavengers willing to go all survival of the strong, and create a self fullfilling prophecy. Run to the stores and greedily buy up everything "you" need. Hey, if we got a couple hundred people together we could make a run on a grocery store and leave nothing behind but a couple of Cosmopolitan magazines. Then people would spread the word and soon grocery stores everywhere would have people buying them out.

....Its not good enough to use the excuse that you need enough food to last "x" amount of days until this "phantom" shipping crisis is over. You want to horde to the exclusion of others. Your survival is more important than anyone elses. I have no moral issue with that because it is up to the individual how they want to "evolve" or "de-evolve" I just have no interest in living like a cave man with the rest of you, so I have no interest in gearing up for "survivor".

You may share my MRE's if you are hungry.

Hello Res.

I starred your post in this thread, and would like to shake your hand someday. I'ts a little scary when folks make sense on ATS, and you are one of the few.

One can run around like a chicken with their head cut off... "Buy a bow and arrows, and a slingshot" was mentioned. Wonder how many folks here really know how to accurately use a bow, and arrows, or a slingshot to good effect?

Being prepared in advance for any contingency is a good thing. That way one can take his or her collective time, be deliberate and do other things beside jump on ATS and post crap like... "Eeek!" or "I ordered a 50 pound bag of rice"... or "Get some flour too! learn to make bread." Ind of silly really.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
It wasn't that long ago in this country where having food stored was a run-of-the-mill necessity. People couldn't count on food being reliably available when they needed it most and were self sufficient as much as possble. We've lost touch with that as we've become ccustomed to centralized convenience fuled by 'just-in-time' inventories.

We've been lucky, most of us, to not have had to deal with shortages in our lifetimes. There have been warnings (like Y2K) that passed harmlessly. But we have never in this country faced the economic calamity that is swirling around us. Yes, we grow lots of food eher in the US. But can you be certain that the capability to process, package, ship and deliver that food will remain uniterrupted? The people in the Southeast are likely a bit edgier than most of us right now.

There are a great many cogs in this economic machine of ours. It only takes sand in one of them to cause problems. Fill your pantries while you can. Get the reference books you need now. Learn what foods keep and what don't. You'll use the food anyway so you're not wasting money. Consider a generator if you can afford one. It can be run periodically to keep your refrigerator cold and allow your heating system to operate.

Imagine a situation where the electricity was only on for sproradic periods throughout the day and stores were mostly closed. What would you need that you don't curently have? Go get them. Fearmongering? No. When the National Hurricane Center warns an area of a possible impending hurricane it isn't fearmongering. The storm may miss. The next one may miss. But those fools who stay-put when a storm DOES hit have no one to blame but themselves.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join