It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Class surprises lesbian teacher on wedding day

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
This actually was a "must read to believe" ... to believe what some people get so worked up over.

The important points have all been made. This was done with the parents' permission (two families did not give permission and those kids sat in with another class). There is no suggestion that these children are not being taught to read and write; if anything, I'd suspect based on the level of involvement of the parents, that the school has excellent results.

So the kids get to learn about marriage and commitment, and get to participate in a special event in the life of a teacher they clearly like.

I can't say I'd want an entire class of 6 and 7-year-olds at my wedding, but maybe that's why I'm not a teacher

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Venit

Why not? Again, the teacher was not in class, and substitute teachers in first grade don't really teach much. And really, how much book learning could you possibly miss in one day, that couldn't be made up over a week or so?

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Mekanic

yeah im not understanding the academic objection to all of this
Education needs to be well rounded IMHO and life events are just a part of it. For that matter Music, drama, et al. also foster development. My kids class took an hour off to see a production the 5th graders had put together. Its hardly a waste of time for either group

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Students witness "hot lezbo action" on the steps of City Hall.

You'd think that's what had actually happened given the reaction to the story.

They not only got to see their teacher get married, but they went on a trip to City Hall. There are probably a lot of adults that couldn't find their way to City Hall, even if given a map, and written directions.

Sounds like a little Education, mixed in with a little fun.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
[edit on 13-10-2008 by Synthesist]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Synthesist
Gosh and I thought it was hard explaining to my 5 year old daughter why her soccer coaches were both Mom's of another lil girl on her team!
Sexuality is not supposed to be part of 1st grade curriculum!

The topic of the field trip was not: Lesbianism 101 making the final commitment.

Two people getting married is hardly sexuality.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Synthesist

I could try to argue with you here, and the others of your kind on the thread.
But I'll instead point out that the ones claiming the immorality of this, and insulting the general area of the city as well, are making clowns of themselves.

Well done, you're providing evidence that, if anything, the parents did the right thing.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Synthesist
No wonder we have 12 & 13 year olds coming out of the closet and proclaiming they are gay...even before their first sexual experience.
[edit on 13-10-2008 by Synthesist]

Well I wonder, what precedes a sexual experience...I know, a sexual attraction!

That's why people generally don't need to have sex with their parents to know they won't enjoy it very much...

[edit on 13-10-2008 by ghaleon12]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I guess a whole bunch of kids are going to grow up without hatred of gays in their hearts. This is apparently very threatening to some people.

And don't try telling me you don't want to teach children hatred, you just want to teach them that these people are sinners who deserve to burn in hell for eternity. The difference is a figment of your imagination.

Jesus "approved" the 10 commandments, but he taught that they could be summed up by to, one being love thy neighbour as thyself.

He also taught that the thought equals the deed.
When you hate a person, you are committing murder in your heart.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I do not think that gay rights are anywhere near the significance of other civil rights issues,and I am tired of hearing some of these people act like they are some new kind of race or something.
Who cares if gay folks get married.I think marriage is an outdated and useless institution anyway.It exists so people can can still make money selling compressed lumps of coal and keep divorce lawyers in business,and so priests still feel relevant.You can solve all of the legal issues by registering a couple of friends,family,gay lover,to get insurance,raise kids, visit you at the hospital,etc.etc.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by daeoeste
I do not think that gay rights are anywhere near the significance of other civil rights issues,and I am tired of hearing some of these people act like they are some new kind of race or something.

Hmm. Not sure who you have been listening to. Most of what I hear and see is the exact opposite. The gay community is trying to get across to people that they are the same race, and entitled to equal civil liberties because of it.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
All I can say is that I am glad that this new generation is not falling for the hate that many of their parents have tried to push on them.

TKainZero, you are a dying race. One day the hate that bigots spread will become a whisper in the night, and they will know what it is like to become the outcasts of society.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Mekanic

Eh perhaps, and i didn't know that they had permission. Good luck to the teacher if she wants a couple dozen kids at her wedding, as for them they'll probably just be bored out of their minds by the entire thing.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

THAT was spot-on! Starred.

I find it ironic that all those who spout "Immorality!" reveal their bigotry.

And I always thought bigotry was immoral.

Isn't it?

Cuhail

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I listen to some of the op ed writers in my hometown of Austin,and these people are nowhere near as persecuted as they say they are.There are more pressing issues in the arena of civil rights,this one is a moot issue right now.Of course they are entitled to the same rights as others,I am against frivolous amendments to our constitution defining a marriage as only between a man and a woman,but I fail to see how this is as bad as some of these folks make it out to be,that is all.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Surely the hatred expressed in some posts here portrays the vehemence with which some people despise homosexuality. That's a reflection of the persecution homosexuals are facing.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I think the whole affair was lovely, thoughtful, tasteful, and an opportunity for kids to learn about love and that it has no boundaries.

Clearly this teacher was highly appreciated by the kids she teaches, and to make this an issue in their lives is plainly loveless.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Yeah, that's a bunch of indoctrination goin' on there...

Let's recap, shall we? Parents planned it. Parents ok'd it. Parents were there...those kids love their teacher, and given the expression on her face, it's returned.

This is trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, in my not so humble opinion...

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I think it's sounds pretty appropriate to me... they attended the marriage of their teacher, sounds cool to me.. If i was a kid, i'd like to take the day off of school and goto the marriage of my teacher. Marriage rights for gay people is a historic event. I think some of these kids might look back and be like "wow, i was actually there when the first gay people were allowed to marry in california"......

Plus, I think in the future, it won't matter at all who is gay and who isn't. It's just like racism -- it's very slowly fading away... as will the bigotry against homosexuality.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I think it's funny how the OP was thinking everyone would be OUTRAGED at the immoral heathens.

Instead we get some nice level headed people seeing this for what it is: a heart warming story about some kids who got to share a special moment in the life of someone who means a lot to them.

Thanks for the wonderful story TKain, I can now go to bed on a high note.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join