It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Class surprises lesbian teacher on wedding day

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Class surprises lesbian teacher on wedding day

www.sfgate.com

A group of San Francisco first-graders took an unusual field trip to City Hall on Friday to toss rose petals on their just-married lesbian teacher - putting the public school children at the center of a fierce election battle over the fate of same-sex marriage.

"It really is what we call a teachable moment," Jaroflow said, noting the historic significance of same-sex marriage and related civil rights issues.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 13-10-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

First Graders...
How how are they 6...7... years old... being indoctrinated with Homosexuality...

Taken out of school, to be surrounded by Homosexuality...
Just a normal school day for San Fransico kids...
Attendence, then Social indoctrination... a little lesbian wedding...

These poor kids... i cannot imagine the damage did to thier minds...

Teaching Addition, or teaching kids that a boy can marry a boy...

What do you want your kids to learn today in the first grade...

The two said they have participated in the campaign against Proposition 8 and planned to travel around San Francisco on Friday afternoon in a motorized trolley car with "Just Married" and "Vote No on 8" banners.

The two met on a dance floor two years ago.

"This is one girl I can honestly say deserves happiness, and it came in the form of Kerri," said Carder's friend Dani Starelli.

Creative Arts administrators and parents acknowledged that the field trip might be controversial, but they didn't see the big deal. Same-sex marriage is legal, they noted.

"How many days in school are they going to remember?" asked parent Marc Lipsett. "This is a day they'll definitely remember."

Carder's students said they were happy to see their new teacher married.

"She's a really nice teacher. She's the best," said 6-year-old Chava Novogrodsky-Godt, wearing a "No on 8" button on her shirt. "I want her to have a good wedding."

Chava's mothers said they are getting married in two weeks.

The students' parents are planning to make a video with the children describing what marriage is to them.

If that isn't a blantent example of what Social indoctrination is. Give me a couple more.

What were the First feild trips you remember in school...

For me it is to a bank, to a california nation park, and my school was on a beach...'

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10/13/2008 by TKainZero]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
"A teachable moment?"

What's next???? A sex education class field trip to see the consumation of the marriage?

Wouldn't that be a "teachable moment" also?

+135 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
You know you people need to hang around some young kids to get to know how they are like..

They do not see someone as being black, gay, stupid, whatever. They see people as people not some damn label older people put the said person in..

Honestly if we were more like this a lot of stupid crap that we see on this planet would cease to exist..

So really this news is no news in light of the development of what i have said... Don't like it go yell at some 6 yr old and I am sure they will tell u how they really don't care.

[edit on 10/13/2008 by ThichHeaded]

+62 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

I have to say I realy couldn't care less-they probably nice people so whats the big deal?
What I do object to is religious bigotry and ignorance forcefully imposing itself on other people's lives.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Wait, what? Regardless of the event, I thought it was against the rules to take any kids outside of the campus without parents signing a field trip form? That was how it was back in my day in Elementary School.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I have nothing against Homosexuality, but this is inappropriate. No teacher regardless of their sexual orientation should be taking their pupils on field trips to witness weddings or even worse to participate in a wedding.

It just really has no place in school to do so. this teacher should be fired or severely reprimanded. It was wrong to use the school kids as ring bearers or maids of honor or to toss rose pedals at any wedding period.

Really no kid should be used by their teachers like that.

also, it makes you wonder. did the teacher and her life partner/wife(?) have nobody else like family members to attend and participate in the wedding.

I've had a school teacher growing up get married while she was in the middle of a school year but they took a 2 week leave and we had a substitute teacher while they were off getting married. Not sure why the teacher thought her marriage was so important that the kids had to stop their education to witness it.

When the president comes to town it's OK to take them on a field trip to see him exit his motorcade and walk into a building or something. OK to take kids to cultural museums or exhibits. not OK to take them to a marriage of any sort. IMHO.

+47 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   

how are they 6...7... years old... being indoctrinated with Homosexuality

How are they being indoctrinated with homosexuality?

You are either gay or you are not. You can't "learn" to be gay.

I think this is an education of tolerance.

+31 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
You know you people need to hang around some young kids to get to know how they are like..

They do not see someone as being black, gay, stupid, whatever. They see people as people not some damn label older people put the said person in..

I was going to say alot but this para nicely summed up what my point was going to be.

Also, permission had to given and the whole thing was organized by a parent to begin with.

This 6 year old displayed a heck of alot less ignorance that what I am seeing here int hsi thread

Marriage, 6-year-old Nolan Alexander said Friday, is "people falling in love."

[edit on 10/13/08 by FredT]

+13 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   

I think you should have read the whole article. It was a charter school not a public school supported by our tax dollars.

And parents were notified of the marriage field trip and some parents opted out and didn't want their kids to attend.

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
Really no kid should be used by their teachers like that.

A parent organized this trip as a surprise it was not done, planned etc. by the teacher herself.

also, it makes you wonder. did the teacher and her life partner/wife(?) have nobody else like family members to attend and participate in the wedding.

The article does nto say, however, if you look at the pictures of the event there are alot of adults as well as kids

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Do you guys really see what is happening here...

Kids, taken out of school.

When I was in school, we had feild trips, and had to get permision slips...
When i was in school, feild trips were educational... we had to make the case for it BEING educational..

Now, these kids were taken to City Hall, to have thier Teacher be married, with the oversight of mayor Gavin Newsome...

This is Gavin Newsome, THE Gavin Newsome.
Leader of the Uber-Left cheifdom of San Fransico
The Man that wants to be California Govanor some day...

Now, in their first trip in the first grade, what do these kids do... Go to city hall to see two girls get married... With the Mayor...

Now... Make sure you read this part... Understand this ...

"With this ring, I thee wed!" Carder said, shouting the last word for emphasis.

After traditional photos, the two walked out City Hall's main doors where the students were lined up down the steps with bags of pink rose petals and bottles of bubbles hanging from their necks. McCoy, a conferences services coordinator, was in on the surprise and beamed as the children swarmed around Carder.

The two said they have participated in the campaign against Proposition 8 and planned to travel around San Francisco on Friday afternoon in a motorized trolley car with "Just Married" and "Vote No on 8" banners.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Did every parent of each kid fully agree for their their kid to go to the wedding and sign a permission slip? I know it said "Parents can excuse their child from all or part of the instruction", but I'm assuming every parent that had a kid participating was informed that this is what their kid was going to be doing.

[edit on 10/13/2008 by SonicInfinity]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Why would California school children need a permission slip from their parents to be taken somewhere by their school? California's courts already implicitly declared that home schooling was illegal and only the state was capible of educating (read: indoctrinating) children correctly. Obviously they know what's best for each child and the parents cannot be trusted to make the right decision, even where permission to go on a field trip is concerned. After all, children are the state's most valuable resource!

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded

Honestly if we were more like this a lot of stupid crap that we see on this planet would cease to exist..

So really this news is no news in light of the development of what i have said... Don't like it go yell at some 6 yr old and I am sure they will tell u how they really don't care.

[edit on 10/13/2008 by ThichHeaded]

You are so right on. I couldnt have said it better myself. TKain has really shown nothing but intolerance and ignorance here.

When I first read what Tkain said about this article I though" this perosn has to be sarcastic...right?"

Apparently though, TKain was dead serious. While things may be alot better than they used to be , This only proves that intolerance and prejudice are still alive and well.

What a shame

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity
reply to post by FredT

Did every parent of each kid fully agree for their their kid to go to the wedding and sign a permission slip? I know it said "Parents can excuse their child from all or part of the instruction", but I'm assuming every parent that had a kid participating was informed that this is what their kid was going to be doing.

[edit on 10/13/2008 by SonicInfinity]

They would have too IMHO. Charter school or not the risk of liability taking kids out of school is great so they want those waivers signed. I see zero reason for them to take on this type of liability.

As a parent I would have said yes, but if you took my child out of school without ASKING my permission first you would have had big problems. I just do not see the school doing this without permission AND it was organized by a parent at anyrate

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero

First Graders...
How how are they 6...7... years old... being indoctrinated with Homosexuality...

Taken out of school, to be surrounded by Homosexuality...

Nothing about parental consent...
No asking parents if they want thier kids around this...

Just a normal school day for San Fransico kids...
Attendence, then Social indoctrination... a little lesbian wedding...

These poor kids... i cannot imagine the damage did to thier minds...

Teaching Addition, or teaching kids that a boy can marry a boy...

What do you want your kids to learn today in the first grade...

I'm not even sure what to do with someone like you. I have such a strong reaction of revulsion to your stated opinions, but it seems futile to attempt to edify you. I imagine I should try to find tolerance and understanding for your backwards beliefs, but all my mind seems capable of at this moment is absolute repugnance.

+24 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I hate this crappulence!
It's sick.
It's backwards.
It's inexcusable.
It's so wrong in so many ways.
How can it NOT be a "choice"?
They should just try to change themselves.
These people have to be re-educated.

This is MY opinion....of Bigots.
READ the article. NOT a public school. NOT a mandatory field trip. In fact it wasn't a field trip at all.
Like the kid said. It's about people in love.
People.

Cuhail

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
WoooW,There REALLY are some frightening people around here...

"Imagine the damage done to those kids"???LMFAO...A figment of your imagination does NOT "damage" make ;-)...

I guarantee without a doubt this has most likely happen at a "straight" wedding... I would be VERY afraid to see how people who fear what kids learn,would do the job them selves...Conveniently skipping this and that here and there...Surely preparing there kids for the "real world"...LOL...

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
This was a rare opportunity to teach these kids a valuable lesson about equality, they are growing up in a unique time period and I commend the adults involved for seeing the chance they had here.

I would equally appreciate a story about children accompanying a black family into a cafe post anti-discrimination laws.

Things change, and children do not always share the bigotry and ignorance of the generations they follow.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join