It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Class surprises lesbian teacher on wedding day

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero
Kids, taken out of school.

With parental permission to go see a teacher they love and respect. never underestimate the importance of teachers in young childrens lives.

When I was in school, we had feild trips, and had to get permision slips...
When i was in school, feild trips were educational... we had to make the case for it BEING educational..

As was the case here. Next week my son who is in Kindergarden is going to the pumkin patch on an almost whole day outing. Not much education there eh? Field trips are also ment to fun and exciting. Going to celebrate a happy momnet like this is just as approriate and developmentaly positive as looking at fossils in a museum

This is Gavin Newsome, THE Gavin Newsome.
Leader of the Uber-Left cheifdom of San Fransico
The Man that wants to be California Govanor some day...

What does the politics of the Mayor have to do with it? This could have been anywhere in California. Is it some sort of political strawman?

Now, in their first trip in the first grade, what do these kids do... Go to city hall to see two girls get married... With the Mayor...

Would you have felt better if it was say a county clerk? I fail to see what the issue with the Mayor there?

Now... Make sure you read this part... Understand this ...

What they were beaming? I got that part
it was a happy day? The kids blew bubbles? Whats the issue?

I am also detecting an undercurrent of "Lesbians should not be teaching" either

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
My ONLY issues with this was......they were taken on a SCHOOL TRIP for a WEDDING. WTF?

I dont care if it was homosexuals or straight (because I dont care if same sex unite). THAT is not something a kid should be going on a school field trip for. What happened to zoos, museums and aquariums?

"It's just utterly unreasonable that a public school field trip would be to a [text removed by me] wedding,"

Again, why do kids need to take a field trip to a wedding? Why not do this AFTER school on personal time?

[edit on 10/13/2008 by greeneyedleo]

+11 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The parents planned it, the parents approved the trip, and some of the parents went.

It is a charter school and no one's tax dollars pay for any of it. And, they can have any kind of field trips they want.

If you have children in that class who went to the ceremony and you didn't give permission, then I would say you have a right to complain.

If you don't have kids in that class, then it is none of your business. It is none of my business.

But, it is a sad commentary on society when a 6 year old shows a helluva lot more sense than a bunch of alleged adults on a website.

[edit on 10/13/2008 by skeptic1]

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

I'd rather indoctrinate them to support gays then to discriminate against them and hold prejudice against them, which you are obviously for.

Intolerance is still prejudice. But hey, lets try and ban everything thats not socially acceptable. Hunting in this part of new jersey is very unpopular and MANY believe it is morally wrong. Lets ban it, because the majority think its not right.

Lets just ban everything that the majority don't like, set a real good example for our kids. Let them know the joys of intolerance. Good plan TK.

[edit on 13-10-2008 by grimreaper797]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Soooo many things I wanted to say to you about this TK.

It fills my heart to see that everything I wanted to say has been said by other members in this thread

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
had this been a public school i think i would disagree with this, simply because tax dollars shouldn't be going toward your child attending a wedding. i would have said they should be spending more time learning math, science, history, language and countless other things that will affect their lives more as an adult than to go and see someone get married.

however, since this wasn't a public school and the parents were informed and either gave permission or refused then i guess it's fine by me

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

What's wrong with that? The purpose of field trips is to help children understand the world around them. Merely keeping them in school will not educate them on what happens in the outside world.

Granted, not everything that occurs outside of school is meant to shown to children, but this wedding was far from harmful.

To them, they only saw two people in love ... and maybe a cake

[edit on 13-10-2008 by DJMessiah]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barathrum
had this been a public school i think i would disagree with this, simply because tax dollars shouldn't be going toward your child attending a wedding.

Most field trips I have seen and participated in (At least in my area) the parents drive the kids and you have to pay for the ocst of the outing, not the school.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
It is always greatly ironic that people will talk about the importance tollerance and then demonstrate a complete lack of it when they rip into someone over the person's opinion because it goes against something they believe. Take from that whatever you will... but the door swings in both directions, folks. Tollerance begins at home, and that includes sometimes having to keep your mouth shut and tollerating someone else's perfectly valid opinion about whether homosexuality is right or wrong. TKain's opinion is either just as valid as FredT's or else neither of their opinions are worth jack squat, can't have it one way for one set and a different way for the other because that's just picking and choosing freedom of expression, which is ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I am guilty of not reading the entire article in the link. I guess it's OK if the parents formed this trip and it was done outside of school itself. Kids can go to weddings with their parents. that is fine.

I just feel it is inappropriate to take school kids on a field trip to a wedding. this obviously was a different issue all together.

The OP is a little intolerant. however, if this were a official field trip I would have wondered a little bit as to why one would get the kids involved. but it wasn't.

and there is nothing wrong with teaching kids that love is love.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. That is fine and good.

What I don't get, though, is how up in arms people get over a situation that has nothing at all to do with them, a situation that does not effect them or their families at all.

If I am wrong, correct me, but this did not effect any of us directly. This did not effect any of our families or children directly. So, why are people so freaking upset about it?

The parents arranged this, gave permission for it, and in some cases, went to the ceremony with their children. Why is it any of anyone else's business? I doubt seeing a wedding ceremony between two people in love and eating cake (which I am sure had more of an impact on the kids than the ceremony did....I mean, what kid doesn't love cake?) is going to scar these children for life.

[edit on 10/13/2008 by skeptic1]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Ripping into somebodies opinion, and saying you are damaging kids because you are a homosexual and their parents brought them to the wedding...slightly different.

Ripping into somebodies opinion will only help them in the long term. It will test their patience and reasoning ability. Spouting off about how kids get damaged by homosexuality in society, well, that proves the lack of reasoning without even needing an opposing argument.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

I dont care if it was homosexuals or straight (because I dont care if same sex unite). THAT is not something a kid should be going on a school field trip for. What happened to zoos, museums and aquariums?

Hmmm

I am not entirely sure if I understand your position?

I guess I don't really see why a field trip to the pumpkin patch is acceptable, but a wedding is not?

Personally I think it's great. Assuming there isn't any wedding crashers there!
With all that love and joy I see it as a great experience for the kids.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Hmmm

I am not entirely sure if I understand your position?

I guess I don't really see why a field trip to the pumpkin patch is acceptable, but a wedding is not?

Personally I think it's great. Assuming there isn't any wedding crashers there!
With all that love and joy I see it as a great experience for the kids.

Meaning, I dont care if its straight or gay, I dont think kids going to a wedding during school is really an appropriate school activity. Has nothing really to do with the "marriage" or gay issue.

Grant it, that is just my opinion and what I would want in a school.

Im having a bad day, and not expressing my thoughts how I am thinking. Probably shouldnt have responded yet

[edit on 10/13/2008 by greeneyedleo]

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Kids being harmed? hardly. After working my entire adult life with kids in the role as a pediatric nurse, I am amazed at thier capacity for tolerance and understanding of complex issues. I am also amazed (myself included sometimes) by adults failure to understand this.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

I am all for these parents making whatever decision they wished to make in this case. However, I also understand the sentiment that it is damaging for a child to see a gay marriage because of several factors...
1. It is still illegal in this country. I wouldn't approve of children watching someone shoot heroin on a field trip, so why would I support them watching this federally illegal action?
2. I believe it is immoral. Notice I emphasized the 'I'. I do not support it nor condone it. Doesn't mean I'm opposed to the parents making this choice in this case. It just mean I, personally, would not allow my children to attend this in any way shape or form. Likewise, I have no intention of putting my kids in any school that tries to legitimize homosexual behavior. Again, if other parents desire that their kids learn this, their kids, their choice.

I fully support and believe in parents' rights. As in a parent has the right to teach their own child, including teaching them right from wrong so long as that child is not physically or psychologically abused. I wouldn't make the argument that teaching a kid that homosexuality is "natural" or "normal" is abuse, nor di I accept that teaching them it is unnatural and amoral is abuse. Just different sides of the coin. Much like teaching them Jesus saves or Allah is great. But I believe those choices should be left solely to the parents. The problem here is precidents get set and, before you know it, we have public schools teaching about Adam and Steve (which they already do) and THAT I have major problems with because suddenly my rights as a parent to indoctrinate my child the way I see fit have been taken from me. (and yes, virtually any and all moral teachings from both the amoral schools and moral parents are forms of indoctrination. Hell, even teaching a kid to use a toilet rather than a diaper is indoctrinating them on bathroom habits.)

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Oh I understood you were not saying this was a 'straight' or 'gay' issue.

Still, you're saying trips to the pumpkin patch, the zoo, and aquariums are school appropriate but not weddings?

Ultimately I think it comes down to the fact that all these come with a permission slip, a nod of approval from the parents saying 'yes, i would like my child to experience that'. Ultimately it's the individual parents deciding if it's school appropriate, whether it's the zoo, a musical, or a wedding.

I assume you would not have signed this particular permission slip? That's good. I think parents should have that power. They know better then the schools, usually.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
reply to post by skeptic1

1. It is still illegal in this country. I wouldn't approve of children watching someone shoot heroin on a field trip, so why would I support them watching this federally illegal action?

One small point It is legal in the State of California and I belive that this type of issue is a States rights case.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Come on, its their teacher's wedding. Its not like it was some random person's wedding, gay or straight going to a random wedding would be a bit strange.

The kids had fun, as you can see from their laughing and smiling. I'm sure all the kids were glad to see their teacher on such a happy day. They don't care who she was marrying, they're just glad to see her happy......which is what adults need to learn to do
Be happy for others' happiness...and get your own.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Its federally illegal? I just thought it wasn't a protected right federally. Some states have it as legal. Can I get a link showing where its federally illegal?(don't bother, since its not federally illegal, its just no protected federally. Which means a state can ban it and the federal government won't interfer.)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join