It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few meters planetoid will hit Earth

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

People are just expressing their fears in the form of "what if". Nothing wrong with that, considering all the crap that is going on in the world. I think we all have a part of us that's expecting the very worst to happen...simply because it can.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
yeah, this is very odd as far as the timing and them making an announcement

Thing is, who says it's alone?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Tunguska was estimated around 60 meters in dia. IF this was similar that is a wide area of damage. Also don't discount effects on satellites. EMP possibilities as well

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Siblin

People are just expressing their fears in the form of "what if". Nothing wrong with that, considering all the crap that is going on in the world. I think we all have a part of us that's expecting the very worst to happen...simply because it can.

Some are playing "what if" and Im just playing "not going to happen"

Others are debating with me and seem to truly believe this is going to happen and im showing them the link provided in the OP were it says it wont.

Simple as that.

Im trying to enbrace the philospy of ATS, which is, deny ignorance.

Is it really so wrong to encourage the truth anymore? Am I just supposed to blindly accept speculatuon that goes against fact? why?

Deny ignorance.embrace truth

[edit on 6-10-2008 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   

In order to efficiently deny ignorance, I would suggest that we all wait and see what happens before trying to spout off "the Truth". There is always room for uncertainty.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   

In my first post on this I wrote: probably we will see beautyful sky at the morning

so, this is EXACTLY what I think

however, I am not sure what will happen, we will know within 3 hours, for sure.
scientists say - WE DO NOT KNOW
I do not understand why you want be smarter then them

this is your choice of life
but on the other hand, we still do not know how big is it, and from which kind of material is made. all we know is nothing...

seems that for all of us would be much better to spent more money on a new space stations, and other possible ways to know MUCH MORE then on a new war.

simply

edit for grammar

[edit on 6-10-2008 by sechmet]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Why are you so sure that it'll just go up in smoke in the atmosphere? A scientist say the absolute magnitude INDICATES blah blah blah (that doesn't sound definite to me, it seems like a very great possibility but no where close to 100%). I don't think this thing is going to see anything farther than out atmosphere but still, to be so sure of yourself that there is no possible way it could be made of something unexpected or be a different size than originally thought seems rather ignorant to me.

Think outside the box. Even if the box was supplied by a scientist. They can lie too you know.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   

In order to efficiently deny ignorance, I would suggest that we all wait and see what happens before trying to spout off "the Truth". There is always room for uncertainty.

I agree that we should wait and see. But you dont seem to understand what im talking about when referring to truth.

The TRUTH is that scientists have given no reason what so ever for us to believe that the earth is in danger of being destroyed by a meteor.

Im not saying that its not going to happen, period. Im just saying, why create fear amongst the people when there is no evidence what so ever that there is anything to fear?

Is that so hard to under stand?

People, Everything in the study done by these scientists suggest that the meteor will not hit. Nothing in the study seems to suggest other wise.

Of course they are saying that nothing is for sure, thats because nothing IS for sure.

There are two ways to look at this report. You can read it as it was written and understand that there is nothing that suggests we are in danger. Or we can add an imaginary part in are heads were it says we are all going to die.

Its up to you ATS!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The principal danger from meteorites these days is that they can look like nuclear airbursts to jumpy missile commanders.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sechmet

In my first post on this I wrote: probably we will see beautyful sky at the morning

so, this is EXACTLY what I think

however, I am not sure what will happen, we will know within 3 hours, for sure.
scientists say - WE DO NOT KNOW
I do not understand why you want be smarter then them

this is your choice of life
but on the other hand, we still do not know how big is it, and from which kind of material is made. all we know is nothing...

seems that for all of us would be much better to spent more money on a new space stations, and other possible ways to know MUCH MORE then on a new war.

simply

edit for grammar

[edit on 6-10-2008 by sechmet]

You keep saying that these scientists do not know. What scientists? Can you provide a link where they said they do not know wether the meteor is going to hit or not?

Ive done my job and showed where the scientists said that all evidence leads us to believe there is no danger. Im not trying tto be smarter than anyone. you know very well that ive done nothing more than simply repeated what THEY said.

You say that you believe nothing will happen. You might want to take a look at the title you gave this thread.

You say that all we know is nothing, that is not what the link YOU provide states.

If you are going to say that a meteor is going to hit then please provide a link to a legitimate website that states it WILL hit instead of one that states that all evidence indicates that it wont hit.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Is it so hard to understand that this is simply something that people do? If you are waging a war against the very human tendency to imagine every possible outcome, especially the fearful ones, then I'll warn you now: you will lose.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
S + F OP. I started a similar thread 5 min. after you.

I haven't had a chance to read your whole thread so I will just post what I know so far.

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

www.spaceweather.com

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

It is supposed to hit at 2:46 UT which by my calculations is 10:46 Pm Eastern time Oct 6. 2008.

I would like someone to double check this for me because I am only 95% sure that is the correct time of impact.

Asteroids that blow up in the atmosphere produce EMP. If it blows up over with 1 KT of power it could fry some electric grids across central Africa.

That's all I know as of now, I will continue monitoring this situation until after impact.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Is it so hard to understand that this is simply something that people do? If you are waging a war against the very human tendency to imagine every possible outcome, especially the fearful ones, then I'll warn you now: you will lose.

im not waging war agaisnt anybody or any human tendency, I am a peace loving guy. I dont appreciate being stereotyped as a war wager by the way. Thats just not me.

I have no problem with the fact that people are wanting to play "what if".

Why do you have a problem If I choose NOT to play "what if" too?

Is it not ok with you if I choose to play"lets look at the facts" this time around?

I have played "what if" before. And i will play "what if" in the future. I have no problem with anyone playing "what if" in here. I just choose to play a different game.

is that ok with you?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
S + F OP. I started a similar thread 5 min. after you.

I haven't had a chance to read your whole thread so I will just post what I know so far.

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

www.spaceweather.com

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

It is supposed to hit at 2:46 UT which by my calculations is 10:46 Pm Eastern time Oct 6. 2008.

I would like someone to double check this for me because I am only 95% sure that is the correct time of impact.

Asteroids that blow up in the atmosphere produce EMP. If it blows up over with 1 KT of power it could fry some electric grids across central Africa. That's all I know as of now, I will continue monitoring this situation until after impact.

Hi downtown how are you?

I looked at your links but im not seeing where it says its going to hit. I see where it says its going to miss though

"miss distance (au) 0.0444"

"miss distance (LD) 17.3"

Could you please show me where exactly it says its going to hit for sure?

thanks!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The link below has a bit more information. The excitement comes from the folks that watch this stuff and finally being able to predict an arrival.

blogs.discovermagazine.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008
The link below has a bit more information. The excitement comes from the folks that watch this stuff and finally being able to predict an arrival.

blogs.discovermagazine.com...

Thanks for the link! I appreciate that one.

So now thats two legitimate websites that state it will break up in the atmosphere.

Ive yet to see one that says any different.

Thanks witness, that helps me out alot.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   

You are welcome Gimme Some Truth!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   

That's fine with me. I have no issue with you preferring to stick strictly to the facts, and I don't believe I've yet to suggest otherwise. It's probably best for your immediate sanity, so good on you.

You're very talkative for not having a problem with the "what ifs" in this thread, however.
Are you sure it's okay with you if I disagree with you on that point? All I have are your posts to go on, and intentions are easily lost between the lines.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Very good find. Thanks a lot to the op. Star for you.

Observations indicate that this is a small object that most probably will burn up in our atmosphere, and that it would cause limited damage even if it hit earth. We should all feel free to speculate based on that, and go in any diraction we want, but it surprises me how many people project the opinion that something devestating will happen. The opinion contradicts everything we are told by the scientits and astronomers who have observed the object, so such opinions should be comunicated in a careful manner.

It's not really the opinion in itself that is bad, it's the way it is communicated. A lot of people on ATS has this panicked rethoric whenever they communicate the possibility for something devestating to happen. You see a lot of the "
" and "
" type icons pop up along with a lot of exclamation marks and a general trend of users throwing themselves at every possible negative outcome they can come up with. Communicating like this is the equvialent of panicking, screaming and throwing things at people during an emergency, and generally being a part of the problem and not the solution. It's a bad way to communicate and it ruins what could have been a constructive debate on the situation at hand, because it spreads fear.

I trust the observations made by the professionals and base how I relate to this on that. For my part that means that this is exiting for me. I will try to observe the object when it hits. I have been an astronomy nut since I was a kid.

I have no reason to believe anything bad will happen, but i'm as open to the possibility as everyone else. Feel free to discuss the possibility... I am just warning about the "zomg we r going to die!!!11oneone" panic-rethoric. It's a bad thing, and way to common on these forums.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by me_ofef_seraph]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Ok sir or madam,

It was at www.spaceweather.com...

they give it a 99.8% chance of hitting.

For some reason this site is not loading at this time, it is probably getting bombarded.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join