It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few meters planetoid will hit Earth

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by sechmet

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
You keep saying that these scientists do not know. What scientists? Can you provide a link where they said they do not know wether the meteor is going to hit or not?
[edit on 6-10-2008 by gimme_some_truth]

Kolejne obliczenia pokazują, że obiekt wejdzie w atmosferę pod niewielkim kątem do poziomu i ze stosunkowo niedużą prędkością. Może to spowodować stopniowy jego rozpad na kawałki, z których niektóre mogą nawet spaść na ziemie w postaci meteorytów. Jeśli tak by sie stało, ważne jest, by ludnośc lokalna zwracała uwage na spadki dziwnych przedmiotów (no ale to jest Sudan, a pora nocna, więc z tym może być trudno).

so, probably it can go as lightly into the atmosphere as it will not blow up very high, but can just go into a small pieces

forum.gazeta.pl...

OK ?

so, I've done my job. I'm going sleep, have a good night

Hmm all I see is something written in a language I do not speak. For all I know this is a website discussing bowel movements.

This page means nothing to me as I cant read what ever language that is. Have any written in english? Legit websites I mean?

Have a good night by the way.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by born²
The nominal orbit given above has 2008 TC3 coming to within one earth
radius around Oct. 7.1. The absolute magnitude indicates that the
object will not survive passage through the atmosphere.

Steve Chesley (JPL) reports that atmospheric entry will occur on 2008
Oct 07 0246 UTC over northern Sudan.

Cheers for that

Good to some sanity still left on ATS

So true my friend. I have been trying unsuccesfully for quite some time to get people to read that myself. Very frustrating when no one is willing to listen, or hear reason.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
i really don't think it will make impact either, but are we even sure of the exact size of the object yet??

[edit on 6-10-2008 by adrenochrome]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by born²
The nominal orbit given above has 2008 TC3 coming to within one earth
radius around Oct. 7.1. The absolute magnitude indicates that the
object will not survive passage through the atmosphere.

Steve Chesley (JPL) reports that atmospheric entry will occur on 2008
Oct 07 0246 UTC over northern Sudan.

Ive been trying to get people to read that as well buddy. Not many people seem to be willing to acknowlege that. Very frustrating.

I hope you have better luck than I did.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Here is a visual of the object, wonder how is got so close unnoticed?

Source

Well good luck to the people in Sudan, lets hope they called this one right and it will burn up.

[edit on 6/10/08 by Rhain]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

It's so small it's a wonder it did get noticed. Just shows that our observational technology is improving.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Thats not actually a picture of the object, it just says " like the one seen here " .

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBlackDog

Sorry I missed the small print..my bad.

I like your nic, this is not a one liner...I like his nic.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Just over an hour left. Anyone else think there could be some serious fear-mongering after this event, for one reason or another? When was the last time something this size came this close to Earth? And I think this might be related to the draconian meteor showers which take place on Oct.7-8, but I don't know that much about that annual event.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
A quick check of NASAs Jet Propulsion Lab website reveals 2008 TC3 (this asteroids official name) will indeed collide with Earth early on October 7th 2008, UTC.

You can use the buttons below the graphic to zoom in/out and move the date forward or backward using the buttons

Here's the link: ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

Picture

[edit on 6-10-2008 by mightymouth]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lennonist
Anyone else think there could be some serious fear-mongering after this event, for one reason or another?

Speaking of fear mongering, this thread on ATS, started half an hour ago, does the job:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If it happens and a larger asteroid is involved yet not observed (quite common) it could be big enough an impact to effect the planet and effectively take out citys and cover the skys world wide with dust and debris for months. The cold and the dark would be in effect.

I actually thought about this earlier tonight, but dismissed it as too radical and probably not likely at all.

So, I can see how this could be used to establish a lot of concern in people, given the correct emphasis by the media (or our government.)

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
In case anyone was wondering. Not sure if this was posted yet.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Ten minutes remaining people, brace brace!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Not sure if this was mentioned before, did not read the rest of the pages, but I wonder how many other "small" objects do ever get reported in the news?

If this is such a small deal, why bother letting anyone know at all. We have seen videos of fireballs in the sky falling down and disintegrating before, and those were similar if not larger rocks. So why all of a sudden draw attention to this specific event?

Are they gearing us for more reporting on the space rocks in the future? Will this reporting lead to a catastrophic event hitting a populated area, and following it an outcry to do something about it? Are we seeing Von Braun's prediction come true...?

Lots of questions and not many answers...yet.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I hope I got the UTC time conversion to here correct.

So far nothing - well - not quite nothing.
Lots of dogs in the area barking like there's no tomorrow.
Even a rooster joined in...

Beyond that the sky is very clear - a couple of tiny shooting stars but nothing beyond the norm.
I wonder if I'm going to be able to see it from here?

Location Sicily.
Eastern side of Island.

*Going back out to look*...

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by amigo

The big news is not the object. The big news is that something this small was detected at such a distance. Objects this size are not that uncommon but they have never before been detected before entering the atmosphere.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by Phage]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
edit:

[edit on 6-10-2008 by Ferengi]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
I hope I got the UTC time conversion to here correct.

You didnt actually, another 25 minutes or so to go

Currently 02:11z at the time of posting

Here's a UTC clock for you guys, I have my own in front of me here at work

www.csgnetwork.com...

[edit on 6/10/2008 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Atlantican

Thanks for the video link.

If my time (04.07) is the same as Sudan time (and I havn't found yet if it is or not - but seems to be), then, from what the gentleman says, I've got about a 40 minutes to go.

If it's already passed, then it did withouth me being able to see it here.

(Taormina area Sicily)...

But hey, Etna looks good this time in the morning - all that bright glowing Lava...

EDIT: THANK YOU OZWeatherman!

Anyone know the trajectory? (If that's the right word)?
Arriving from north to south? (I hope)...

[edit on 6-10-2008 by silo13]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Thanks OzWeatherman.

Well, ill be in the rain, trying to catch what I can, will post video if anything shows up.

peace

[edit on 6-10-2008 by Ferengi]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join