It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

A few meters planetoid will hit Earth

page: 6
15
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by amigo
 


The big news is not the object. The big news is that something this small was detected at such a distance. Objects this size are not that uncommon but they have never before been detected before entering the atmosphere.


Exactly!

There are a few objects of this sort of size on average every year that hit the atmosphere. The chances of this being any kind of a threat are very low.


Edit to add:

It's also a rare opportunity to get some footage of a large meteor - get those cameras out and start rolling now! There may also be some fragments visible in other regions, that could come earlier or later on. It's a slim chance, but if it's dark where you are, watch the sky and hope, and you may get lucky!

[edit on 6-10-2008 by C.H.U.D.]




posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by amigo
 


The big news is not the object. The big news is that something this small was detected at such a distance. Objects this size are not that uncommon but they have never before been detected before entering the atmosphere.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by Phage]


I see, so this is more of a scientific curiousity than anything else then?

Was it detected by fluke or mere luck though?

There were complaints from scientists before that we should be watching more of the sky for any potential threats from rocks in space. And from my understanding the amount of sky/resources available being used to watch for anything incoming towards the Earth is ridiculously small compared to the size of the sky observed (both hemispheres).

I guess we just need to wait and see if there is more chatter in the media about similar things in the future to try and draw more conclusions...

[edit on 6-10-2008 by amigo]



posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13
 


One and a half hours to go as of writing this.



posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Here is a statment from nasa saying exactly as I have been saying from the beginning. Its going to burn up in the atmosphere just like the initial report stated.

www.youtube.com...

It will create a very pretty fire works show (or what ever youd like to call it) with little to no risk of any thing at all making it to earth.

They say its the size of a volkswagon bug and when it hits the atmosphere it will faltten like a pancake and then brake up in to million little pieces.

So as I have said from the very beginning, The initial report was correct. The Sky is not falling. The sun will still rise im the morning, etc.

Imagine that. Facts and truth being a more reliable source than fear, speculation and assumption. Who would have thought that?


Peace everyone!

Deny Ignroance. Embrace truth.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by gimme_some_truth]



posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Here is what I am wondering on how this plays into October 7th. Suppose the trajectory of this thing is off and goes farther north. If the explosion of this thing is suppose to release 1 kilatons of energy combined with the iron that it contains, could it not cause an EMP like event shutting down most power in the region that it hits? That would potentially shut the Euro markets...



posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by edgecrusher2199
 


That's what I'd like to know.

I'm not fearing a catastrophe - but I'd like to see this thing - and hear it if it's going to explode, etc.

*running back outside*



posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
The nominal orbit given above has 2008 TC3 coming to within one earth
radius around Oct. 7.1. The absolute magnitude indicates that the
object will not survive passage through the atmosphere.


PUT THAT IN YER PIPE AND SMOKE IT



posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth
 


I hear you, and I'm sorry I didn't post to acknowledge hearing you from the beginning of this thread. Your position is scientifically sound.

I think the real story is that any object of potential damaging size was detected at a point where nothing could be done to mitigate it. I watch the NEO site pretty frequently. The variables which are employed to analyze the composition and mass of NEOs are not infalliable, nor would we expect them to be. Objects with low reflectivity and small mass [and low risk] are difficult to detect.

I don't believe it is known for certain what the outcome of this object will be -- I believe the studies indicate a high probability of no surface disturbance. That's not the same as NO probabilty, though, is it?

Makes me wonder how large of a NEO could "sneak" up on us. Suppose an iron/nickel core, low ice, perhaps rocky, low reflectivity, and...... 2 mile circumference.

Just food for thought, but I wanted to give you props for keeping us continually through this thread on the side of sensibility.

Cheers



posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Well it's gone, didn't hear or see a thing.

boo



posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
so is there any updates?, i checked and its supposed to be comming through Sudan around 2:40 UT wich is pretty much now....I am suprised at how little this has been covered, lol I fugured there would be a live stream or something.

was hoping for some pretty pics

[edit on 6/10/2008 by Kashodi]



posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by edgecrusher2199
Here is what I am wondering on how this plays into October 7th. Suppose the trajectory of this thing is off and goes farther north. If the explosion of this thing is suppose to release 1 kilatons of energy combined with the iron that it contains, could it not cause an EMP like event shutting down most power in the region that it hits? That would potentially shut the Euro markets...


Just curious. Has there ever been a confirmed case of a meteor causing an EMP?



posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
reply to post by gimme_some_truth
 


I hear you, and I'm sorry I didn't post to acknowledge hearing you from the beginning of this thread. Your position is scientifically sound.

I think the real story is that any object of potential damaging size was detected at a point where nothing could be done to mitigate it. I watch the NEO site pretty frequently. The variables which are employed to analyze the composition and mass of NEOs are not infalliable, nor would we expect them to be. Objects with low reflectivity and small mass [and low risk] are difficult to detect.

I don't believe it is known for certain what the outcome of this object will be -- I believe the studies indicate a high probability of no surface disturbance. That's not the same as NO probabilty, though, is it?

Makes me wonder how large of a NEO could "sneak" up on us. Suppose an iron/nickel core, low ice, perhaps rocky, low reflectivity, and...... 2 mile circumference.

Just food for thought, but I wanted to give you props for keeping us continually through this thread on the side of sensibility.

Cheers


I hear ya buddy!

I appreciate the comment. It means alot.

no need for apologise. You did nothing wrong. at least nothing that I know of


Well I suppose there is nothing to do but wait and see now huh?

Anyhow, Im glad to see thatt my efforts to keep some sensibility in here when there was a big possibility of this thread going off the wall didnt go unnoticed.

Thank you.





[edit on 6-10-2008 by gimme_some_truth]



posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Ok so its 10pm in the midwest, central timezone I think, did it already happen? Wheres live coverage news wise? Am I correct? It already did its thing right? WHAT happened?!!!



posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Not sure I would have been able to see anything from Northern Europe anyway, but the sources did state a tracking from the north-west. Problem for me was the sky was 100% clouded to the south-east.

Guess I have to wait for witness accounts and possible documentation


Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
Imagine that. Facts and truth being a more reliable source than fear, speculation and assumption. Who would have thought that?



Well said.

And thanks to both of you who posted the video Interview.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by me_ofef_seraph]



posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
ah, everyone stopped talking, i suppose there watching it, i'm in WA state and i see nothing in my skys....... sad.



posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scarcer
ah, everyone stopped talking, i suppose there watching it, i'm in WA state and i see nothing in my skys....... sad.


Everyone stopped talking LONG AGO - because there was nothing to see...

Happy now?





[edit on 6-10-2008 by Vanitas]



posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Im not sure what TDT time is, I was wrong and thought ut was UTC.
But here is the site with the trajectory

Anybody know anything?

[edit on 6/10/2008 by Kashodi]



posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

Originally posted by Scarcer
ah, everyone stopped talking, i suppose there watching it, i'm in WA state and i see nothing in my skys....... sad.


Everyone stopped talking LONG AGO - because there was nothing to see...

Happy now?





[edit on 6-10-2008 by Vanitas]


Thank you! im finally seeing some people with some sence.

you are right on the money. There was nothing to see. Nothing to worry about.

As I have said from the beginning, This meteor is nothing to fear. The sun will still rise.

I promise.

The OP's fear mongering, speculations and assumptions fooled a few people but me and others were there the whole way to talk some sence.

way to deny ignorance my friends!

[edit on 6-10-2008 by gimme_some_truth]



posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I saw nothing, east coast north america.

In fact at exactly 10:45, a huge string of losers in their ricerocket cars with the glow kits on em came to the lookout. Not kidding. Fast and the furious in full 3d.

The only streak I caught a glimpse of was a cheesy looking blue honda with a body kit that made it look like a snow racer and a green glow like a half assed stan romanek video!



posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sechmet

The Minor Planet Electronic Circulars


www.cfa.harvard.edu

"Steve Chesley (JPL) reports that atmospheric entry will occur on 2008
Oct 07 0246 UTC over northern Sudan."
www.cfa.harvard.edu/mpec/K08/K08T50.html
(visit the link for the full news article)



[edit on 6-10-2008 by sechmet]


====
Mod Edit: Headline trimmed. Full site description is here:
*(The Minor Planet Electronic Circulars contain information on unusual
minor planets and routine data on comets. They are published on behalf of Commission 20 of the International Astronomical Union by the Minor Planet Center, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory,
Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.)

[edit on 6/10/2008 by Badge01]


So as I promised, the sun did set. The sun will rise. The leaves having been falling off the trees in my neck of the woods. But most importantly, We were not destroyed by a meteor.

It burned up in the atmoshphere just like was stated in the initial report, and just like I have been saying all along.

It was also stated by nasa officials and other legit websites. from the beginning that it would burn up and do no harm.

You for some reason assumed it was going to hit despite the fact that there was no evidence that it would but all evidence that it wouldnt.

but you know what they say about assuming.

To assume is to make an a$$ out of you and me.

I feel a good way to some up this thread would be to say something that I said earlier.

Facts truth and logic DID turn out to be more reliable than fear mongering speculation and assumption.

As usual facts and truth wins out over fear lies and assumptions...




top topics



 
15
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

log in

join