It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few meters planetoid will hit Earth

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I was kind of thinking it was going to coincidently land in Iran

Sort of have been wondering given Cheenys love for brillinat pebbles when a rock would just happen to fall on a location we didn't like...

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I wonder if this is in any way related to the whole October 14th GFL thing? I mean Blossom Goodchild did state a great tremor would be felt days before the GFL ships appear. I think I'm believing her word a lil more. I'm still on the fence about the whole thing though.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
well its october 8 now, and i am unaware of any astral collision

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by AmmonSeth

Weather Eye: Nasa spots asteroid before annihilation

October 8, 2008

In the early hours of yesterday morning a fireball exploded with the equivalent of a thousand tonnes of TNT over northern Sudan. The light was so intense that it lit up the sky like a full moon and an airliner 1,400km (870 miles) away reported seeing the bright flash.

The explosion was caused by an asteroid the size of a boulder roughly three metres (10ft) across.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So, next time someone blows up a suitcase nuke, they can say it was an asteroid...

[edit on 2008/10/8 by Hellmutt]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Small asteroid strikes earth Tuesday, 07 October , 2008, 14:09

New Delhi: It was a spectacular show in the sky early Tuesday morning, when a small asteroid entered the earth's atmosphere releasing a huge amount of light and energy before exploding.
The asteroid, 2008 TC3, entered the earth's atmosphere at 2.46 am (GMT) in Sudan (Africa). The asteroid was also visible in Europe but not in Asia.
"Measuring only a few meters across, the space rock created a spectacular fireball, releasing huge energy as it disintegrated and exploded in the atmosphere," Director of Nehru Planetarium N Rathnashree said.

www.indiaprwire.com...

Added 'ex' tags and a link.

Please read Posting work written by others

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 8/10/08 by masqua]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   
well, rofl, nothing happend right?

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Just last night, here in Chicago 10/9/08 about 9:07PM Central Time I saw a VERY bright meteor go through the sky like a freaking fireball almost. But it was more looking like a white phosphorus flare as it dropped. I thought it was a helicopter light or a firework. But it was even brighter than the moon. Did anyone else see it? It traveled from the west towards the east southeast

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by GenRadek

Slow and graceful yeah? Those can be real beauties, and it certainly sounds like the one you saw was! It was probably a Daconid or a Taurid meteor. Both showers are active at the moment, and can produce flare like meteors. Pure white also fits them well.

Check out these recent threads:

And here's a vid of a Taurid meteor:
leonid.arc.nasa.gov...
source

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by sechmet

Erm the that im posting this on is the 11 of oct' and there has been not even 1 sign of a planetoid hitting the earths atmosphere so r u sure?

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
nope, disintigrated in the atmosphere. these things happen alot , we still here for now.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Boy oh boy it was something. I was just wondering if I heard the boom from it a minute later or two later. I thought it was a door slamming shut or something dropping (you know living in the city noise right?) But it had a a booming echo kinda. I dont know if it was from the meteor, though I doubt it as it was about a minute or two later.That video was close to what I saw. Though without the tail completely, but freaking bright!

[edit on 10/11/2008 by GenRadek]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   

I'm surprised there was no trail whatsoever. Bright meteors usually leave very distinct (and often long lasting) trails, although this is not always the case.

The boom you heard could well be connected to the fireball. The timing is about right, and your description of the brightness is more than enough for booms to be associated with it. Hearing a boom potentially means that this meteor could have dropped a meteorite somewhere. There is also a possibility that what you saw was space-junk re-entering.

I'd strongly encourage you to submit a fireball report with the link I provided. There may well be other witnesses to this event, and your report could help coordinate a search for any rocks that may have made it to the ground.

Good work hanging around long enough after to hear the boom by the way. Not many people get to hear sonic booms from meteors!

[edit on 11-10-2008 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I am pretty sure that was the sound. I maybe mistaken, but nontheless I did see it and possible heard the booming sound. Man I love this stuff. Reminds me of the time when a meteor blew up over Chicago a few years ago, showerin the area with debris. My dad saw the flash, but thought it ws lightning (from a cloudless sky lol). Not until the morning did we hear about what happened.

And yes I did send in the report too. I wonder if I will get a reply? Do they send a reply or something?

[edit on 10/11/2008 by GenRadek]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   

From what I understand, the sound is something like thunder in the distance. Sometimes more than one boom is heard.

I remember the Chicago meteor.You guys get all the luck over there in the US. It seems to be a bolide magnet lol! Incidentally, lightning has been know to strike from a cloudless sky - it can strike up to 6 miles (or is it 9? better stay 10 just in case lol) away from a thunder cloud.

You might get a reply. It depends. If only one person sees a fireball it makes it impossible to triangulate a rough trajectory and work out a possible meteorite landing site, but if they can get at least 2 or 3 reliable reports from whitenesses spread out over a wide area, and either side of the of the path of the fireball, then they might get in touch with you to try to help narrow the trajectory down.

I've not heard any other reports of the same event yet, but it's still early days. If I do come across any news I ' ll post it on your thread.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Ok, thats cool! Thanks! I found out one of my friends also saw it Thursday too. I'll be sure to tell him to report it to them too.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
News just in...

RELEASE : 09-33AR

NASA Sets Teleconference to Discuss Recovered Meteorites

WASHINGTON -- NASA will hold a media teleconference on Wednesday, March 25, at 2 p.m. EDT to reveal science findings from recently discovered meteorites. The meteorites originate from a small asteroid that entered Earth's atmosphere over the Nubian Desert of northern Sudan on Oct. 7, 2008. The discovery presents scientists with an unprecedented opportunity to understand these nomads of the solar system better.

Source: NASA

Pretty amazing that they were able to find fragments considering that they only had satellite imagery to work with and a single visual confirmation from a pilot. I guess the fragments would have been quite easy to spot on the light colored sand though.

Looking forward to hearing what NASA have to say about this

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
New Scientist - interview with Peter Jenniskens

What did you find when you analyzed the meteorites?

[The meteorites belong to a known type, but they are] different from the ones that have been recovered before, in the sense that [they're] very fragile and very dark, because there's lots of carbon. It's material that was heated so much that part of the rock became fluid but not the whole rock. It illustrates what happens in a certain phase of planet evolution before things get all molten (see Magma oceans sloshed across early asteroids).

We can now say with certainty that this dark variety corresponds to F-class asteroids. There are many ideas about how these rocks formed, so we're hoping that this meteorite will be able to differentiate between them. That's sort of a next step in the study.

Source: newscientist.com

Although not a new class of asteroidal material, this is a unique composition which has not been found before. This particular asteroid appears to be a mixture of two different types of asteroid that collided and combined together to form a type of material which belongs to a group that scientists call Ureilites.

The ureilites are named for Novo Urei, a rural village in the Mordova Republic, Russia, where several meteorites fell in late 1886. It has been reported that one stone was soon recovered by local peasants - but not to preserve it for science. On the contrary, the stone was immediately broken apart and eaten! The report does not reveal the reason for this odd behaviour - maybe they ate it because the freshly fallen meteorite smelled good, or perhaps because it had the typical shape of a loaf of bread, which a ureilite often resembles. However, not all of the stones were eaten, and Novo Urei became the type specimen of one of the best-represented achondrite groups in our collections. The ureilite group comprises about 60 members, again, excluding all probable pairings from the hot deserts of Africa and the ice fields of Antarctica.

These new samples together with the data collected should keep the researchers busy for a while.

Related Links:
First tracked space rock recovered after impact (newscientist.com)
Asteroids(wikipedia.org)

[edit on 25-3-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join