It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few meters planetoid will hit Earth

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

As for those of you wondering if this is what the web bot was reffering to. Assuming the web bot is correct, There is no way this is what web bot was reffering to as evidenced by the fact that its NOT going to hit earth!

are you sure ? this is precognition system based on our "one knowledge" in fact, as all of us we have some precognity skills...

I am not sure. nobody is in fact. even scientific sources say - we will say what will happen, maybe only 1 kT explosion in the air, maybe something else

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
oh sorry

mistake post.

ignore

[edit on 6-10-2008 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Well I hope I'll be able to see it from here in Sicily as Sudan is just a little south of here...
I'd think I would be able to?
It's almost 22.00 now (10:00 pm)...
Maybe I've time to find a video camera....

UTC time?

...taps...

[edit on 6-10-2008 by silo13]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by sechmet

As for those of you wondering if this is what the web bot was reffering to. Assuming the web bot is correct, There is no way this is what web bot was reffering to as evidenced by the fact that its NOT going to hit earth!

are you sure ? this is precognition system based on our "one knowledge" in fact, as all of us we have some precognity skills...

I am not sure. nobody is in fact. even scientific sources say - we will say what will happen, maybe only 1 kT explosion in the air, maybe something else

I am basing what I said strictly on what I read from the website YOU linked. You seem to have skipped over that part and quoted the part where it just says when the entrance into the atmosphere will be.

As stated on the exact same page you linked It will burn up before it hits earth. So using the info from the link you posted and nothing else, Yes, I am sure.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Ok so asteroids produce EMP.

The question is where will it detonate. If it happens over Europe it could be a big mess.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Damn! Too far away to see it (in Canada), hopefully some of us will get some good pics or video.
Does anybody know its path or even what time of day it can be seen?
Here's hoping everybody is safe, we have enough problems to worry about right now.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Its quite small, it will burn in the atmosphere but should be still visible and if the sky's are clear would be a very awesome show. If someone is in Sudan, please get a camera and film it

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

Nothing will ever happen to LA or New York (or London, or Paris, or Beijing) despite what disaster flicks tell you.

The vast majority of earth is either covered in water or largely uninhabited. The odds of a foreign object crashing to earth where no one will ever see it happen are far, far higher than it coming even close to some major metropolis.

'Course it could smash into Dallas and nobody would complain much

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Will the European Space Agency (or something like it) have a live
countdown clock running online and a weblink to one of the high
powered tracking cameras? I hope so. What's the estimated time
of arrival to Earth's atmosphere?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by carewemust

exact time will be:

1:53:56 UTC

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by tehdreamer
Its quite small, it will burn in the atmosphere but should be still visible and if the sky's are clear would be a very awesome show. If someone is in Sudan, please get a camera and film it

I think they are too busy running away from the genocide that is taking place their at the current time, and starvation, and drought, and Islamo Fascism supported by western oil companies.

Off topic but not really, the poor people of Sudan generally do not have the privilege of internet access, good cameras and the like, they see bright things in the sky every night, the gun pods on attack helicopters attacking villages of civilian women and children.

Really this is the news daily from Sudan we should be looking at, not this small meteor. Well like already said hopefully small meteor.

Kind Regards.

Ps Quite a few, more than realised "megaton" or bigger impacts have occured over the past 100 or so years, big ones in Saudi Arabia and Brazil all small planetoids like this hitting earth and having the explosive power of at least a small nuke, luckily they too have landed in sparcely populated areas, like Sudan.

Really guys unless this hits a City, or something similar, or is much much bigger like 50-100 metres or more, well to be honest its nothing new, special or unusual.

Thousands of tons of space dust, meteorites etc are added to the earth ever year, This is just Hopefully a very long lasting big and bright Shooting Star.

Kind Regards,

Elf.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
EDIT

Found what I was looking for.
Never mind.
Thanks

[edit on 6-10-2008 by silo13]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
21:53 10/07/08 eastern U.S. time or what? someone hook me up with conversion

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
Really guys unless this hits a City, or something similar, or is much much bigger like 50-100 metres or more, well to be honest its nothing new, special or unusual.

Thousands of tons of space dust, meteorites etc are added to the earth ever year, This is just Hopefully a very long lasting big and bright Shooting Star.

It is a safe bet that you are right.

However, I will still go back to my argument that the title of this thread, and the conventional wisdom being expressed here (about it being a small meteor) is STRICTLY an educated GUESS.

We don't know how big it is for sure. It is hard to estimate the size and speed of an incoming object. In particular, the size of the object is estimated by its reflectivity (how bright it is), which relies on some guess about the object's composition. We guess the composition based upon its location.

Because this is a recently discovered asteroid, we don't have very much information on it. That should be a bit of a yellow light for everyone trying to say it is definitely a "small" object.

If this object had been discovered many months or years ago we would have better understanding of it. But the current way of estimating size and density relies on looking at the object carefully over an extended period of time.

I've been searching the web for almost an hour, looking for more info on this, but don't see anything right now.

Like I said, you are probably right. But it is impossible to say for sure until tomorrow morning.

Edit: Anyone who can post a link indicating when this TC3 2008 object was discovered, please do so. I'm still searching for that critical information. How long have we known about this new asteroid?

[edit on 6-10-2008 by Buck Division]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   

The nominal orbit given above has 2008 TC3 coming to within one earth radius around Oct. 7.1. The absolute magnitude indicates that the object will not survive passage through the atmosphere.

Am I really the only one who read this part of the article linked by the op? If not why am I the only one willing to acknowledge the fact that its not going to hit us?

Meteors go through our atmosphere and burn up all the time. Thats what a shooting star is.

We are going to be just fine.

I want to point out again that according to the very article that all of you are assumuing claims that a big metoer is goingn to hit earth, It isnt! Its going to burn up before it does.

The sun will set tonight and believe it or not the sun will rise tomorrow. It will continue to do so.

I see people in here ready to go out side and run around screaming "The sky is falling. the sky is falling!"

Well, Its not falling.

For those of you who have said that no one knows whats going to happen. Yes, we do. Its sated in the study it self what will happen.

Come on my friends, We are an amazing group here at ATS, Lets not forget that. Deny ignorance means so much to so many of us. well, why arent we doing that now?

Deny Ignorace.

We will be just fine

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
Am I really the only one who read this part of the article linked by the op? If not why am I the only one willing to acknowledge the fact that its not going to hit us?

For those of you who have said that no one knows whats going to happen. Yes, we do. Its stated in the study it self what will happen.

You are probably right. But I say "probably" and not "certainly". Don't get me wrong, you are making a safe bet here. But take a look at my previous posts. Some of this is just optimistic thinking, and supression of minor but important details.

I will tell you what, if a giant meteor destroys half the earth tomorrow I will quit coming to ATS.

I am pretty sure that if a giant meteor destroys half the earth, then WE ALL will stop coming to ATS, every last one of us.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buck Division

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

For those of you who have said that no one knows whats going to happen. Yes, we do. Its stated in the study it self what will happen.

You are probably right. But I say "probably" and not "certainly". Don't get me wrong, you are making a safe bet here. But take a look at my previous posts. Some of this is just optimistic thinking, and supression of minor but important details.

So you are suggesting that the scientists are lying just to make us feel better? That goes so far against the scientific process that it blows my mind.

If scientists were supposed to lie and make us feel better than it wouldnt be science now would it? It would be telling stories and hoping we dont find out.

A scientists job is to find out how things work, how things will happen etc.

I find it hard to believe that a scientist would lie and tell us its going to burn up when its not.

What everyone is doing here is called speculating. These speculations fly in the face of what is actually factual here in this case.

If we as members are unwilling to accept the truth than why are we members of such a site?

As Ive been saying, Deny ignorance. Let me add on to that though.

Deny ignorance, embrace truth.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buck Division

I am pretty sure that if a giant meteor destroys half the earth, then WE ALL will stop coming to ATS, every last one of us.

I agree,

which means I have nothing to worry about either way, huh?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   

From the country I am one of them said:

"probably it will burn in air, but nothing is sure"

that was what he said.
simply

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by sechmet

From the country I am one of them said:

"probably it will burn in air, but nothing is sure"

that was what he said.
simply

Oh well in that case we should just assume that the world is going to end because our research doesnt confirm 100% that it will burn up.

The fact is that there is nothing in that study that suggests that it will hit earth.

they are right. Nothing is for sure. The sun might not set tonight, but it probably will, The leaves might not fall off the trees this fall but they probably will. The trees might stop producing oxygen but that probably wont happen. A meteor may destroy half the earth but it probably wont

Of course Nothing is for sure, so we should just go ahead and assume that the sun will not set tonight. The leaves will not fall off the trees this fall, The trees will stop producing oxygen and a meteor will destroy half the earth.

Now I have a quote for you " The absoulute magnitude indicates that teh object will not survive passage through the atmosphere"

That means that based on the angle it will hit our atmoshere we have no reason what so ever to believe that earth is in any type of danger from this meteor.

If you want to go outside and run around like chicken little with his head cut off screaming THE SKY IS FALLING! Im not going to stop you.

Dont be surprised though when everything that the scientists say will happen, happens.

No offense to you, but id much rather take a trained scientists word over a speculation and unwarrented assumption any day.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join