It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going veggie shrinks the brain

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Here we go...
...another herbivore vs omnivore thread... pro-meat-eaters accusing vegans of arrogance and a deluded sense of superiority whilst they are the only ones throwing insults around and trying to insist upon their physical and mental superiority. What a joke.

I'm done with these arguments (you will never, ever comprehend how many times a vegan has to defend their choice - perhaps if you did, you'd see why some vegans put up such a defensive wall). I'm not going to address the study referred to in the OP because it's ridiculous. There seem to be weekly revelations about the benefits of soy, the dangers of soy, the benefits of meat, the dangers of meat, B12 etc etc. I've been vegan almost 5 years and vegetarian 9 and have never felt better. All of my friends eat meat and I've never once judged them for it. So please, meat-eaters, if you're truly secure in your dietary and ethical choices, there's no need to make offensive assumptions about vegans, particularly when very few of us attempt to judge you.

And ImaginaryReality1984, I have the utmost respect for you for hunting your own meat. THAT is how it was meant to be and you show a great deal of honour by killing and eating free animals with your own two hands. If we ever saw a return to that naturalistic way of life, I'd probably be tucking into some deer right next to you at the campfire.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

reply to post by Cythraul

stared both posts

i am vegetarian for almost 10 years, and have been vegan for about 4 years in this time - and than i fall back being an ovo-lacto vegetarian

when going vegetarian i realized - as DeadFlagBlues descirbed - a boost in energy! before i wasn.t really able to cope with my day and than … wow i didn.t knew that this was possible.
at first, maybe as many before, i thought i just had to put the meat aside, but than i learnt, learnt about well-balanced diets, planing meals, to get everything i need and want.
and therefore i am sure that i really get everything i need, but some omnivores i know keep telling me that i can.t get everything because of the lack of meat in my diet.
and i bet that those guys never thought of anything they might needm coz there was meat in their diet.
i don.t want to play the old game "meat-eaters" versus "vegetarians" - coz i am really fed up with that. had to play that during a decade of marriage and then finding the ex going vegetarian after seperation.
the good thing is: you always have a choice! you are able to compare the benefits of each diet and than make up your mind. and you also can take a look how todays meat is produced in meat industry. this is what really scares me. they are dealing with living beings and treat them like things.

so i risk the shrinking of my brain being glad that i increase in knowledge every day.
it is also very comon that the muscles shrink when you don.t move. but still people spent their life with very few motion!

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Speaking as a veggie myself i would much rather have brain shrinkage ( brain size does not affect intelligence anyways) than damage my morals. I don't buy into this at all anyway, i mean how many times have these silly study's held no actual scientific value. I do not want to insult people but i just feel that as an intelgent being it is my duty to not interfare with the lower species and anyway eating corpses just freaks me out anyway. It's all well saying "we need meat it is natural" but believe me when you become a full time veggie you will fill a lot better and will never go back unless you did not care much in the first place.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elemensa
I do not want to insult people but i just feel that as an intelgent being it is my duty to not interfare with the lower species and anyway eating corpses just freaks me out anyway.

"Intelgent?"

Keep eating those veggies.

Vegetarian Brain shrinkage has now been proven on this board.

[edit on 15-9-2008 by NightVision]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightVision
Vegitarian Brain shrinkage has now been proven on this board.

Oh has it now?

Get over yourself. There are dumb vegans, dumb vegetarians, and dumb meat-eaters.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by NightVision

sorry this is absolutly wonderful
it made my day!

good that emotional and social intelligence is not located in the brain!

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
This is a complicated topic, with no single "One for All" solution. That is because we all have different metabolisms, and different reactions to different foods. Some people are highly sensitive to processed carbohydrates, which results in extreme weight gain, detrimental to their health. Other people don't have such problems. It is generally agreed by even Vegans that since B12 is only produced in animal products, that there is a problem with B12 deficiencies unless supplements are taken. Many doctors state that young children that don't get any meat products can suffer irreversible harm. There are studies that show that many of the manufactured soy products have very harmful effects, but as several posters stated, you can get a study that proves whatever you want.
The following link:
www.fda.gov...
gives, I believe a fairly good presentation on both sides of the issue. I certainly believe that adults should chose whatever they feel is right. My only concern regards choosing a diet for children that may be harmful for them. My daughter is a vegetarian, but she gives her 2 year old fish, low in mercury and some chicken occasionally since she is also not sure about the literature regarding children and diet. Once her child is old enough to chose, she will let him make his own choice. I believe that is a sensible approach.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a daft question - but how big is the brain " supposed " to be ?

its claimed that vegetarian diet causes ` brain shrinking ` - but how do we know that meat eating does not cause brain swelling ?

and the `

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   

its claimed that vegetarian diet causes ` brain shrinking ` - but how do we know that meat eating does not cause brain swelling ?

and the ` swollen state ` has

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   

and the ` swollen state ` has become

link   

and the ` swollen state ` has become the

link   

and the ` swollen state ` has become the " norm "

link   

and the ` swollen state ` has become the " norm

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

and the ` swollen state ` has become the " norm

Haha good question!

Also how do we know if this actually effects us in any negative way anyway? Except for the fact of size changes!? lol

Edit: what the hell!? lol you just made 13 posts with the same question lol.

Edit: there was 13 now it's gone down to 6 lol, weird haha.

[edit on 15-9-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
what shrinks tolerance in the brain?

i wanna know what it is in lack of meat in the diet that makes people so preachy and "rescientific"(as in, ignoring the fact that 99% of the people of the last 100, 000 years have been meateaters). the only reason i, as a meateater, 'lash out' at vegetarians is they don't just seem to be able to choose going veg without also choosing to try and throw a big guilt trip onto carnivores, too.

fine, you don't like factory farms and "cruelty" to animals. i agree. factory farms suffer from GREED, not dietary/moral decrepitude. animals that are 'scared' when they die are probably less tastey than animals killed by surprise, or while sleeping. i think they should kill them 'nicely' so they don't get too acidic, not because i care if 'bessy' is 'terrorised' before her horrible execution.

i DO find animals confined to tiny pens to be 'evil', and prefer free range animals(philosophically, that is. if it's dead meat, i'll eat it). an unnatural living environment, however, is 'evil' because the PRODUCT suffers, not because it's 'mean'. i would LOVE to see a return to the family farm, cows wandering the fields, chickens running in the yard, pigs rolling in muddy fields, etc., but, once again this is a socio-economic concern, and not a 'choice' anyone made.

people should be attacking the problem of MONEY, and watch the other problems like war, disease, hatred, distrust, , energy, JUDGINESS all float away like a bloated carcass in the river that carries the proverbial water under the proverbial bridge.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   

link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Edit: what the hell!? lol you just made a 13 posts with the same question lol.

1) His name is 'ignorant ape'.

2) His brain may be swollen

3) I'm all for the ethical treatment of animals and yes, Bacon still tastes good.

[edit on 15-9-2008 by NightVision]

link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

and does size really matter? or isn.t the usage of the brain the much more important question?

we don.t have any data of people of former centuries where they only ate occassionally meat, i.g. on sundays, where they had to live on a pig the whole year!
so yeah what is the ideal size of the brain
and the mail brain seems to be bigger than the female brain - but again: who is taking the best effort out of her/his brain?
and isn.t it said that mankind uses only 10% of her brain capacity?

sorry so many questions!
edit to add:
reply to post by billybob

sure animals are treated the way they are because of economical reasons, of making money and of greed!
i don.t want to put the blame on you or any other meat eater, but everybody has a choice.
you can choose to eat meat, and in some ways support because of this choice the meat industry, or you can choose to be a vegetarian.
being a vegetarian maybe i will support an industry i don.t know yet anything about!

changing the system is a far different question!

[edit on 15-9-2008 by orange-light]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join