It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going veggie shrinks the brain

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
Like with anything else. Moderation is key. I pretty much survive on pasta. But sometimes you have to let the big dog eat.

Yes yes, moderation is the solution for me as well.
I'm not one to rush out and get a triple burger, but again I will eat a burger on occasion.

Either way I found the idea interesting. Personally as an animal I see nothing wrong with my omnivorous traits but I certainly don't overdo it on one side or the other.

Both can be disastrous if not done properly.

- Lee

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChronMan

Vegan - a vegetarian who omits all animal products from the diet (www.dictionary.com).

Milk = Animal product.

Therefore, Vegan = B12 deficient.

Its also no secret that vegetarians aswell also have a hard time including or lack B12 in their diets

[edit on 14-9-2008 by ChronMan]

Wow thanks for clearing that up. Being a Vegan for 9 years hasn't taught me the difference yet

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
reply to post by caitlinfae

I think that it would make sense that being a meat eater plays a role with intelligence. If you are a meat eater, you must be able to hunt. Therefore you need to be smarter than your prey.

Well even if that would be true (not really sure if it is or not), it doesn't play any role nowadays. You don't hunt your food, do you? And i'm pretty sure buying meat in the supermarket doesn't require more intelligence than buying vegetables. So no matter what role hunting played in developing intelligence in humans, that is long gone.

Besides, no matter how you look at it, gorillas (herbivores, don't get fooled by the fangs) are still smarter than crocodiles or leopards (the only predators that gorillas have besides humans). That proves at least that not all herbivores are stupid and that they can even outsmart their predators.

Edit to add: i think intelligence has more to do with social behaviour. Both herbivores and carnivores can develop social behaviour.

[edit on 14-9-2008 by Wallachian]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Red meat has been shown to increase the risk of colon cancer. Going veggie doesn't shrink the brain, lack of b-12 is what they say does. Simple solution is to take a multivitamin, problem solved. Might want to work on that colon cancer though, vitamin won't fix that...

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ChronMan

Thank you for pointing that out.

I think there is no need for defensiveness either, and as you pointed out brain size does not necessarily equate intelligence.

It isn't a "tinpot" theory anymore than the ones stating the opposite and to summarily dismiss it as rubbish is a bit arrogant in my opinion. The study doesn't say that vegans or vegetarians are being dumbed down by their diet, unlike the study posted that claims all the brainiacs are destined to be vegetarians. That seems a bit self-serving to me.

The article also mentions:

Brain scans of more than 1,800 people found that people who downed 14 drinks or more a week had 1.6 per cent more brain shrinkage than teetotallers. Women in their seventies were the most at risk. Beer does less damage than wine according to a study in Alcohol and Alcoholism

Being overweight or obese is linked to brain loss, Swedish researchers discovered.

Scans of around 300 women found that those with brain shrink had an average body mass index of 27

No one is picking specifically on vegetarians just pointing out how Vitamin B12 deficiency in some seem to cause brain shrinkage.

Doesn't sound crackpot to me.

- Lee

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma

Yeast extracts are one of the few vegetarian foods which provide good levels of the vitamin.

As long as you drink beer, you'll be fine

I'd like to know more about the research, who was behind it, what ties they have (if any) to vested interests such as the meat producers board or what have you.

Curious though.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
What?!... dont vegetarians take multi-vitamins? I mean all these studies are mute when people take vitamin and mineral supplements along with their meals. I do. I dont see what the big deal is.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Yeah thats why I wanted to read through the study, middlemen can get in the way. I think they are required to say where the funding for the study came from and it would show what sort of bias they had in this case if any.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Optix

Hm, good point. Never met a vegetarian or vegan who didn't take vitamins and mineral supplements. I know i do. Meat eaters should too actually.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
As nations become more industrialized and less agriculturely based, they will eat more meat and dairy products.

More wealth, more meat. How China's rise spells trouble

Will China Become the No. 1 Superpower?

Meat in the human diet: an anthropological perspective.

* Human ancestral diets changed substantially approximately four to five million years ago with major climatic changes creating open grassland environments.

* We developed a larger brain balanced by a smaller, simpler gastrointestinal tract requiring higher-quality foods based around meat protein and fat.

* Anthropological evidence from cranio-dental features and fossil stable isotope analysis indicates a growing reliance on meat consumption during human evolution.

* Study of hunter-gatherer societies in recent times shows an extreme reliance on hunted and fished animal foods for survival.

* Optimal foraging theory shows that wild plant foods in general give an inadequate energy return for survival, whereas the top-ranking food items for energy return are large hunted animals.

* Numerous evolutionary adaptations in humans indicate high reliance on meat consumption, including poor taurine production, lack of ability to chain elongate plant fatty acids and the co-evolution of parasites related to dietary meat.

NWO 101: The key to increasing a slave labor class (dumbing down) is to reduce their intake of meat and dairy proteins in order to promote brain shrinkage, and induce passivity. Making quality meat products too costly to all but the elite class will insure the power structure remains optimal. Vegetarian propaganda should be promoted in all forms of media in order to convince the general populace that it's in their best interest to gravitate towards a slave labor diet and it's more feasible to feed dumb laborers on noodles.

Food - the ultimate weapon of the ruling elite

Let's see the study on CEO and world leader diets...predator verses herd animal.

[edit on 14-9-2008 by Regenmacher]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12
Red meat has been shown to increase the risk of colon cancer. Going veggie doesn't shrink the brain, lack of b-12 is what they say does. Simple solution is to take a multivitamin, problem solved. Might want to work on that colon cancer though, vitamin won't fix that...

Not balancing your diet is the big issue. Anyone who eats a high percentage of meat is at the risk of being subject to health issues. Just like anyone who goes vegan and doesn't balance it out with B-12.

There is a difference between these two though. One is a matter of over consumption which is dangerous in itself and can be solved by "eating less" of a certain food but the other is a matter of a specific diet not providing the necessary vitamins for a healthy body. You then need an outside source to fill in.

So it becomes a matter of luxury then as without supplements being strictly vegetarian would not be a natural thing for us or those that came before us. If the hunters and gatherers were simply "gatherers" then they would face serious issues, unless they were able to ride a horse to the local Rite-Aid pharmacy.

- Lee

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
So from what I've read here, it appears turning vegan or becoming a vegetarian, shrinks the brain and inflates the ego...or it just inflates the ego.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wallachian

Well even if that would be true (not really sure if it is or not), it doesn't play any role nowadays. You don't hunt your food, do you? And i'm pretty sure buying meat in the supermarket doesn't require more intelligence than buying vegetables. So no matter what role hunting played in developing intelligence in humans, that is long gone.

Besides, no matter how you look at it, gorillas (herbivores, don't get fooled by the fangs) are still smarter than crocodiles or leopards (the only predators that gorillas have besides humans). That proves at least that not all herbivores are stupid and that they can even outsmart their predators.

Edit to add: i think intelligence has more to do with social behaviour. Both herbivores and carnivores can develop social behaviour.

[edit on 14-9-2008 by Wallachian]

Actually, I hunt for food, ALOT. Even here in NJ, fish and game are around. Thats beside the point. Did you ever consider our ability to eat both meat and plant is what gave us the huge edge over the other species that were similiar to us?

Our ability to have such a wide range in diet is probably what allowed us to grow so rapidly as a species. Social Behaviour has to do with intelligence, not the other way around. As they become more intelligent their abilities in the social department grow because their reasoning skills grow. Our ability to not only eat whatever plants we were already acustom to, but also hunt, is what gave us a significant edge in the survival of the fittest area.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Mmm. That reminds me, it's time to throw my tenderloins on the grill. Nothing like a tasty steak to start the week off with.

I'll never understand why vegetarians and vegans always get defensive and preachy whenever something like this comes up as if they know better than someone with a Ph.D. I'm willing to make a bet that the vast majority of Vegans/Veggies own Macs too.

If only they would kindly shut up and keep their disgusting diet to themselves.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Wallachian

Between the variety of fish I catch, meat I eat, OJ and Milk, and natural valley bar, I get all I need. Look up all the good stuff fish has to offer. A fish diet alone covers ALMOST (not all) the bases you need to have a healthy diet. You need things like OJ and milk for vitamin c and calcium. There is one other vitamin that fish dont have, but I get it from the peanuts that are in my natural valley bars, so Im pretty much set.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Mushrooms are rich in B vitamins, including B12.

If *I* had a failing memory (as my wife says I already have) I would start with three things - blueberries, mushrooms and fish oil capsules.

I don't think that there would be anything wrong with being a vegetarian OR a vegan if one was very focused on understanding the supplements they need to remain healthy and stick with them.

I, on the other hand, have no moral qualms eating animals what so ever. Afterall, a hungry bear would eat me. "But we are more intelligent than they are!"... I don't give a damn about all of that. My intelligence isn't going to make me paranoid enough not to hike the Buffalo River (my favorite hobby) and I know well enough that there are all manner of wildlife that would eat me if they were hungry enough and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I eat meat.

[edit on 14-9-2008 by Jay-in-AR]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Im not a vegan, I eat a wide variety of foods.

Defiency in Vitamin B12?

There are many liquid beverages fully capable of supplying that vitamin.

"Sweetened Langers Enhanced H20 Heart Pomegranate Blueberry Vitamin Enhanced Water"

Not to sound sarcastic, but vitamins can easily be obtained from other sources.

Thats my two cents.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
As much as the research method might be flawless, 107 is indeed a small number to consider and other influential factors seem to have been left out, which is a pity, for the subject deserves more effort than this. Especially if it can put an end to the B12 epic.

Seeing how some veggies and meat eaters go at eacher though, makes me think the default brain sizes of some people are already lacking.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
AAAHHHHHHHHH...My Vegan Brainz Are Shrinkin'!!!...Nooo...LOL...

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join