It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going veggie shrinks the brain

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by yellowcard
So from what I've read here, it appears turning vegan or becoming a vegetarian, shrinks the brain and inflates the ego...or it just inflates the ego.

My vegetarian ego is so inflated I can sit on it. Maybe I can act in a Freak Show and earn money to buy me some veg Vit B12
Ouch....what is that? Oooo, it is my brain shrinking.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by billybob
what shrinks tolerance in the brain?

i wanna know what it is in lack of meat in the diet that makes people so preachy and "rescientific"(as in, ignoring the fact that 99% of the people of the last 100, 000 years have been meateaters). the only reason i, as a meateater, 'lash out' at vegetarians is they don't just seem to be able to choose going veg without also choosing to try and throw a big guilt trip onto carnivores, too.

fine, you don't like factory farms and "cruelty" to animals. i agree. factory farms suffer from GREED, not dietary/moral decrepitude. animals that are 'scared' when they die are probably less tastey than animals killed by surprise, or while sleeping. i think they should kill them 'nicely' so they don't get too acidic, not because i care if 'bessy' is 'terrorised' before her horrible execution.

i DO find animals confined to tiny pens to be 'evil', and prefer free range animals(philosophically, that is. if it's dead meat, i'll eat it). an unnatural living environment, however, is 'evil' because the PRODUCT suffers, not because it's 'mean'. i would LOVE to see a return to the family farm, cows wandering the fields, chickens running in the yard, pigs rolling in muddy fields, etc., but, once again this is a socio-economic concern, and not a 'choice' anyone made.

people should be attacking the problem of MONEY, and watch the other problems like war, disease, hatred, distrust, , energy, JUDGINESS all float away like a bloated carcass in the river that carries the proverbial water under the proverbial bridge.

I just love this top of the food chain attitude. Makes me almost almost, yes almost, want those human meat loving aliens to come hither and start saying: I do not care if BillyBob has been "terrorized" before meeting his maker, he sure tastes good!

In case indeed our planet is going to be invaded by aliens that eat human meat (nice idea for a comic, if such a comic does not already exist), I assume all meat eaters will be ok with the new arrangement. Then again all those scared human meat sacks won't taste that good, just too acidic.

[edit on 15-9-2008 by QueenofWeird]

[edit on 15-9-2008 by QueenofWeird]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
reply to post by caitlinfae

If you are a meat eater, you must be able to hunt. Therefore you need to be smarter than your prey.

That's gotta be the funniest thing I've read all day. Possibly all week.

As a veggie who works out a lot and is very serious about my health I often find myself watching the status quo meateaters at the supermarket. These are not people that can hunt. These are not people that look smarter than their prey. These are the people that make up the 50% of this country's obesity rate.

There are smart veggies and there are dumb veggies. There are also smart and dumb omnivores. I think this study holds no water and I'm in agreement with Cait.

The real veggie vs. meateater intelligence test results will be shown to us in ohhh about 15-20 years when the first symptoms of mad cow disease start appearing in people and we veggies stand back and just shake our heads in pity.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I find this hard to believe. I've been a vegetarian for 13+ years (strictly) and ate few meats ever in my life, and only recently been adding LITTLE meat/fish items into my diet. (I'm 24 now)

I only see my head getting larger by the day, only meaning larger brain! Very un-proportional to my body.

What should I believe? A study that's done on elderly people or a long term study on myself.

Pro's about it: within those 13+ years of being a full vegetarian, I never been SICK in those times. NEVER. Not even one small headaches.
-Cheap!! I learn how to survive on my own from gardening, and growing your own food. Meaning fresh organic food!
-I actually eat more! -=P My family has a bloodline of being skinny.
-I seem to be in better physical shape them ever, out competing classmates at school.

Cons: NONE. No negative results, nothing I can see.

Bah, I still recommend vegetarian to anyone. I only became one because my parents actually chose this route when I was very young.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Biggest non-meateaters would probably be Indians /asians. They are mostly smaller and weaker than Europeans,Africans,Middle-Easterners,South Americans etc etc. Rice for strength and health ? Nah ! Burgers. Protein.My opinion, women have fewer strenth demands in their jobs.Sure they'll live longer for eating veggie.Some of us have to keep moving to stay alive.
Just one man's opinion.What would make the Chinese eat dogs and cats?

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by merryxmas

The real veggie vs. meateater intelligence test results will be shown to us in ohhh about 15-20 years when the first symptoms of mad cow disease start appearing in people and we veggies stand back and just shake our heads in pity.

Unless, of course, salmonella and/or hepatitis gets into the produce supply chain...again, in which case we're all screwed.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12
Red meat has been shown to increase the risk of colon cancer. Going veggie doesn't shrink the brain, lack of b-12 is what they say does. Simple solution is to take a multivitamin, problem solved. Might want to work on that colon cancer though, vitamin won't fix that...

I'm sorry but that's not completely correct.

Not everyone's system can absorb multi-vitamins effectively, as well many multi vitamins have side effects which can bog you down, depending on your blood type. Most vitamins that are absorbed properly are naturally present in the cellular structure in the foods we eat.

Furthermore, your assessment that eating red meat increasing risk of colon cancer is only true if you eat it everyday. Living in LA alone increases chances of lung cancer by 20%. whether you eat meat or not. The point is that too much of anything is bad for you.

Becoming vegan/vegetarian on moral grounds is a fair argument as to the un-ethical manner in which too many farm animals today are slaughtered. The nutritional argument is a lot harder to prove because a fair balance of everything is...(ahem)...actually good for you.

[edit on 15-9-2008 by NightVision]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
My wife and our tenet are both vegetarians and I myself rarely consume large amounts of meat, so those thinking this was started to attack vegans or vegetarians on my part are off.

I personally feel that if either lifestyle works for you then kudos.
To me its a matter of luxury and if you can afford the lifestyle then that fine.

I prefer to leave the moral issue out of it.
Finger pointing doesn't get us anywhere.

- Lee

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I would like to hear from vegetarians that have young children, as to whether they impose a vegetarian diet on them (those under 2 years of age). As I stated above, I don't have any problem with adult vegetarian diets, as long as they get the proper nutrients from vegetables, and a B12 supplement. My concern is with the abundance of caution that doctors suggest regarding not imposing a strict vegetarian diet on the very young.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightVision

Originally posted by Elemensa
I do not want to insult people but i just feel that as an intelgent being it is my duty to not interfare with the lower species and anyway eating corpses just freaks me out anyway.

"Intelgent?"

Keep eating those veggies.

Vegitarian Brain shrinkage has now been proven on this board.

"Vegetarian"

In front of everybody... Bummer.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   

The nutritional argument is a lot harder to prove because a fair balance of everything is...(ahem)...actually good for you.

Yes it is good for you. And you can get all your protein, all your nutrients, from a vegetarian diet. It requires a little research. Eating a healthy diet, including meat, also requires research.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by vze2xjjk
My opinion, women have fewer strenth demands in their jobs.Sure they'll live longer for eating veggie.Some of us have to keep moving to stay alive.

You're saying vegetarians are weak?

Well you're invited to my next eskrima/kali match in LA, so you can ascertain my ability to "move"

Also, did you miss the post from another member in this thread on the vegan body builder??

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Wow, I can't wait for my brain to become pea-sized. Brain matter looks ugly anyway. The less, the better I say.

And if it did shrink down to the size of a pea I may just eat it.

[edit on 15-9-2008 by laiguana]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues

I do not want to insult people but i just feel that as an intelgent being it is my duty to not interfare with the lower species and anyway eating corpses just freaks me out anyway.

"Intelgent?"

"Vegetarian"

In front of everybody... Bummer.

I like how you guys change my spelling to make it look like I spelled a word wrong. Go back and re read my post.

Caught manipulating quotes....in front of everybody....Bummer.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

Yes it is good for you. And you can get all your protein, all your nutrients, from a vegetarian diet. It requires a little research. Eating a healthy diet, including meat, also requires research.

If you are going to argue soy, think again. Soy is highly damaging to your thyroid in high doses, and high doses mimic the effects of estrogen. So where, in your views, does the protein in a vegetarian diet come from? Beans?

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by NightVision

There are at least 2 quotes with that spelling mistake, are you saying they both changed your spelling to mock you? lol

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

You make me smile as usual....!

As for the rest of the discussion....

Actually, I can't get involved with the endless circular argument that goes on in discussions like this....the only way to look at it is do what you like, and don't bother giving others a hard time. I think it's noticeable that most veggies don't start the arguments...this one doesn't for sure...but having to justify and defend my choices repeatedly is exhausting.

Although....maybe I should start a thread about something really contentious, like "Veganism improves your Sex Drive" or "Eating meat gives you wrinkles"...I'm sure I could find a study somewhere to back them up, and it would be sooooo much fun. Both are true, by the way.

Cait

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   

I do not want to insult people but i just feel that as an intelligent being it is my duty to not interfare with the lower species and anyway eating corpses just freaks me out anyway.

"intelligent?"

Hmmm... the word "intelligent" seems to be spelled correctly on my end. Weird...

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

LOL what the hell you doing!?

This is confusing.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by NightVision

Night Vision.

I would never alter anybody else's posts and even thought you were doing it as a joke. I thought I would post it, and by the way you reacted, it seems as though, it wasn't a joke and you were caught with your intellectual pants down.

Be real and face that you made a mistake. Quit trying to cover your tracks with accusations.

It's apparent here that we all make mistakes.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join