It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going veggie shrinks the brain

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Hmm, well maybe meat eating swells the brain? Eating animal corpses or any animal products is just not healthy. Only animal based food contains cholesterol for example. Cholesterol is the source of Alzheimer, strokes and all circulatory disease. People with 99% clogged arteries reverse their condition by ignoring doctors and giving up all animal products including milk and cheese. A glass of milk = 5 strips of bacon. Chicken has as much cholesterol as beef.

What you associate with, that is what you are. The best way to know how an animal thinks and feels is to eat one. The emotional nature of the creature is impressed into the flesh. Where vegetables do not have a kinetic heart center, their energies are benign.

By the way, milk does not make strong bones, exercise does. Calcium deficiency is not the result of not drinking milk. When you exercise, the metabolic activity in the bone is 2x that in the muscle. Calcium deficiency is the result of atrophy, ie inactivity ie lack of basic exercise.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma
I've always played the middle ground with my meals, not eating too much red meat and primarily sticking to fish, chicken, and vegetables but it appears meat should not be ruled out of our diet entirely or there is a price to pay.

You arent suggesting that fish and chicken isnt meat are you?? Lol. Most likely not, but thats kinda what it sounded like for a second there.

I do not think despite that article that one can make the leap to say that eating meat is a biological necessity. After all, tons of people in China and India survive quite handily on a vegetarian diet and neither culture seems to have any lack of very brilliant people.

Not that I am opposed to the eating of meat. I think in some areas of the world it is the only option for survival. I just happen to know that there are some truly brilliant vegetarians, so I take issue with the biological necessity part.

www.veg-world.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by NightVision

i guess the best way is to get your vitamins as natural as possible
i try to eat tons of fresh fruits and veggies
vitamin c could be taken grouned to add to water - just the plain ascorbin acid
but getting it with all the additives naturally coming with vit c like riboflavonoids etc. it works much better and you don.t need such a high intact

so when taking multi vitamins taking those of a natural source - to me it is the best
but what's good for me might not be good for you

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   

what do you consider a high dose of soy?
ususally i need far less of that stuff to create a lovely dish with a meat analogue based on tvp or tofu than i would have with meat
so that won.t be a high dose!

and i love soy!
but getting proteins out of legumes is much better!

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae.there is NOTHING wrong with my brain function, and I'm afraid I will have to keep my IQ score a secret, in case I'm accused of being superior....*grin!*

superior cait!

c'mon you just learnt how to use 100% of your shrinking brain

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I am sure that this has been already said many times but here we go (again):

It is lack of various fats that may shrink the brains. If not careful, vegetarians may lack these fats if they are not getting them else where. But one can always cook his vegetables in fat - that should help. For example, nuts contains many healthy fats AFAIK?

One has to remember that humans have used mixed food sources through all their existence - they have eaten flesh when it has been available, greenies when they were available. Eating just either can be dangerous. Personally, I prefer eating meat perhaps twice a week or so. I am not really controlling it, I just eat what I prefer at the moment

Now thinking about it, I haven't got anything to say really. G'bye

-v

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

This is silly, I went to Uni and we did stats and they do say what you want them too. Having Kids (a woman) makes ya brain not function properly, it killed my brain when I was pregnant. But I am a veggie and that actually makes me feel a whole lot better.
These stats are rubbish, when we did them at uni we were told to leave things out and that was for the national crime stats!!

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionIntrusion
Small Brains !!

As long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seeds of murder and pain cannot reap the joy of love.

Murder?

So is that what those vegetarians that eat chicken and fish are doing?
Is that what you do when you uproot a fruit or vegetable and eat it?

When I see a lion eating a gazelle I'm thinking food-chain not homicide.

- Lee

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I'm somewhat on the fence on this issue. I've read that a steady staple of fish is responsible for brain growth. I'm taking omega oil tablets that are derived from plant, not fish. Since my health condition requires a high level or protein, I havn't been able to afford to do anything other than limit the amount of meat. I would never give up dairy products. Yogurt and soya milk are very good for you, as is whey powder and I could almost live on them with some fruit and porridge thrown in.
On the other hand, I do not condone killing to eat under any circumstances, and since the last videos I watched of animals shredded (it looked like they were still moving) I have been storing recipes on my krecipe program and am trying to determine (with the decision to keep dairy products) what would be a good basic diet for my family, and how to replace the need for fish. Or maybe I should keep that up until the ocean's supply runs out. The oceans are in dire straights right now!

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Going veggie shrinks the brain

www.news.com.au

SCIENTISTS have discovered that going veggie could be bad for your brain - with those on a meat-free diet six times more likely to suffer brain shrinkage.

Vegans and vegetarians — such as Heather Mills — are the most likely to be deficient because the best sources of the vitamin are meat, particularly liver, milk and fish.

Vitamin B12 deficiency can also cause anaemia and inflammation of the nervous system.

Yeast extracts are one of the few vegetarian foods which provide good levels of the vitamin.

The link was discovered by Oxford University scientists who used memory tests, physical checks and brain scans to examine 107 people between the ages of 61 and 87.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
timesofindia.indiatimes.com
www.thesun.co.uk

Sounds like excellent marketing for brands like Vegemite and Marmite!

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

I'm sure bunch of us in the thread can help.

Vegetarian foods to replace the nutritional value of fish? For protein and the omega fatty acids?

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Murder?

Not sure what problem you have with that use of the term. We kill them against their will. You can talk food-chain that is fine. But it's still murder. I am not even trying to say it's immoral in a general sense, but it's still murder. They are being killed against their will. How do you define murder?

I personally don't feel it's morally right for me to kill an animal since I personally attribute sentience to them.

Those vegetarians are not vegetarians

I chose to become a vegetarian because I feel animals have sentience. Sentience is what I love and value in humans, so I extended this empathy to animals as well. It was a moral choice I made for my personal ethical code.

I also chose to become a vegetarian to no longer support factory farming.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
reply to post by Cythraul

I agree. Us "environmentalist whackos" are lucky to be alive.

We don't get any of the nutrition we need, and people are concerned.

I can't bear to think what I will become if I continue on this path!

My world has been now turned upside down by these scientific studies. This past two years of my life has been a lie!

If this thread has 'proven' anything, its that Vegans/Vegetarians can be just as narcissistic and elitist as Meat-Eaters. I'm seeing a pattern here in this 'victim'-like mentality as well. You said you were called an 'environmental 'whacko'. I don't think you're a whack-o at all. (Maybe just a bit self-absorbed with your looks). I won't comment on the tattoos.

[edit on 16-9-2008 by NightVision]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Someone who eats chicken and fish is NOT a vegetarian.

en.wikipedia.org...

Vegetarianism is the practice of a diet that excludes meat (including game and slaughter by-products), fish (including shellfish and other sea animals) and poultry.[1]

Vegetarian = No flesh. No bodies. It may include eggs, milk, etc, things from animals, just not their bodies.

Edit to add;

Clearly you have not been raised in the country.
You dont uproot an apple tree to pick an apple. Lol. Or maybe YOU do, but that isnt the accepted method for apple picking in most places. In fact, many fruits and vegetables can be picked from the living plant, and if not picked eventually they fall off all on their own. Not only that but some seeds are actually designed by natural selection to require being eaten, (and passing through the digestive system) in order to sprout, and rely on the animal eating its fruit to carry the seed off somewhere far from the "mother" plant and fertilize it too when it is excreted.

[edit on 16-9-2008 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

Vegetarian foods to replace the nutritional value of fish? For protein and the omega fatty acids?

Walnuts, Flax, and Chia. Chia isnt listed on this chart, but it is very high in both fiber and Omega 3.

www.vegsoc.org...

Vegetarianism is doable, but one does need to do some research to make sure one has their bases covered in a society where most of the food that is convenient is not very nutritionally balanced.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Isn't it amazing how some people can say about vegetarians that they're stupid and weak, but the moment the vegetarians start defending themselves and prove otherwise they get again labeled as narcissistic, elitist, self-obsessed, preaching to others, holier-than-thou.

Leaving aside all personal crusades for or against meat eating, vegetarianism is just a diet. It's just what we EAT. How does it affect you if we eat meat or not? Are you that concerned about our health? If you are, thank you, but i believe most vegetarians KNOW what they're doing, and even if our health would be in some danger because of not eating meat, still it's our own choice and it's not anybody's business but ours.

Many of you say that vegetarians are agressive in promoting their lifestyle to others, but actually, it's the other way around, it all starts with raised eyebrows and never ending theories about how vegetarians don't get some mysterious substance that only meat has. Try explaining to someone who has no idea about what B12 is that you're getting enough of that, thank you. I lost count how many times it happened to me that all i wanted to do was eat my damn food, but somebody at the table kept preaching to me about moderation and proteins, and how humans were designed to eat meat.

You know what really separates us from animals? Our ability to make our own choices, based on nothing but personal beliefs and morals. Even if humans were designed to eat meat, we have the power to choose otherwise. And as you can see some of us are even doing it right.

Edited for poor spelling due to shrinking brain and english as a second language.

[edit on 16-9-2008 by Wallachian]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wallachian
Isn't it amazing how some people can say about vegetarians that they're stupid and weak, but the moment the vegetarians start defending themselves and prove otherwise they get again labeled as narcissistic, elitist, self-obsessed, preaching to others, holier-than-thou.

I feel thats incorrect. The vegetarians/vegans may be the one's turning this into a divisive discussion. At no point were you ever called 'stupid' or 'weak' on this thread for your beliefs or for your diet. I used peoples own words and pictures to prove my point, which is self-demonstrative. Do we really need picture of abs and tattoos? Even you have to admit its a bit much. It has nothing to do with diet. Again jumping on the victim-wagon. See a pattern here?

I have utmost respect for vegans and vegetarians as they clearly have more dietary will-power than me. But I won't tolerate elitism or victim-hood. If you are strong in your beliefs, there's no need to prove them to anyone.

Even if humans were designed to eat meat, we have the power to choose otherwise. And as you can see some of us are even doing it right.

'Right and wrong' are purely a matter of opinion or objectivity.

[edit on 16-9-2008 by NightVision]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   

I don't victimize myself, i simply don't understand why people get so caught up in this matter, especially "anti-vegetarians". The "pro-vegetarians" are simply defending their beliefs. Because there have been a number of insults in this thread, not by you, but by a few others. Just read the thread and you'll find them.

In fact, the article itself that started this thread is very biased and somehow insulting to vegetarians/vegans. If i were a journalist, i would have named the article "Study shows possible relation between brain atrophy and b12 vitamin deficiency". But that doesn't sound as promising as "Going veggie shrinks the brain", does it?

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightVision
I feel thats incorrect. The vegetarians/vegans may be the one's turning this into a divisive discussion. At no point were you ever called 'stupid' or 'weak' on this thread for your beliefs or for your diet.

Really? All taken from this thread:

There seem to be a few "small brainers" defending their vegan habits. I guess their brains are just too small to comprehend the study.

That sounds like a lie coming from a small brainer, because there is a correlation between brain size and intelligence.

So from what I've read here, it appears turning vegan or becoming a vegetarian, shrinks the brain and inflates the ego...or it just inflates the ego.

If only they would kindly shut up and keep their disgusting diet to themselves.

It may shrink the brain but it makes the arms longer, increasing the ability to hug trees. (a joke I know, but still a jibe)

Vegetarian Brain shrinkage has now been proven on this board.

Biggest non-meateaters would probably be Indians /asians. They are mostly smaller and weaker than Europeans,Africans,Middle-Easterners,South Americans etc etc

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Wallachian

not only that the choosen title sounds much more promising, it also causes more fear in people, sells more papers, and might let people stick to their meat-full diet if they are insecure about transition
so more money for meat industry granted

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join