It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens Exist, Says Former NASA Astronaut

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by The Revealer

I hate to throw cold water on the festivities, but Edgar Mitchell was also claiming to have conducted ESP experiments from lunar orbit while on that Apollo flight. He had four respondents back on Earth and claims that his ESP contacts with them succeeded more often they would under random chance.

Of course, an experiment with four subjects (OK, five with Mitchell) is not what we really call statistically significant. That's an unacceptably small sample size. And the holder of a PhD like Mitchell should know that a study with four subjects proves very little. If the experiment was worth doing, it was surely worth doing right - in a properly-designed study with controls and an adequate sample size to reduce the chance of observational error.

openweb.tvnews.vanderbilt.edu...

I'm not saying that this should automatically discredit his subsequent remarks, but it does give us some perspective on what he's said in the past... and his reputation for clear thinking.

Mitchell is also the author of "Quantum Hologram and ESP," a book whose title really says it all.

www.buy.com...

Before we all rush out and say that since Edgar Mitchell was an astronaut, his word that aliens exist is proof positive, we should take a hard look at what he's saying.

Has Mitchell said he saw these aliens himself? No. Spoken to them? No. Seen photos? No.

It's all hearsay, possibly hearsay uttered after liberal ingestion of ethanol. If Mitchell wanted to DISCREDIT the thesis that aliens exist, he couldn't have done a better job. There's nothing here that smacks of hard evidence, just a lot of second-hand gossip.

I mean, where's the PROOF here, people?

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Another Vodka

grammar nazi wrote: Is "disclosure" in the offing? Grammar nazi, you need single quotes here, not double quotation marks.
The answer to your question, I believe, is yes! These 'disclosures' aren't happening by accident. Keep your eyes to the skies!

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by behindthescenes

So just because someone believes in the powers that our consciousness is capable of means their loony? Hmmm. That seems really narrow minded.

Maybe you could enlighten? I mean with all the possibilities of MILLIONS of planets and solar systems people think that we are the ONLY intelligent life?

I'm sorry but not only is that selfish, but really illogical.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by vfrickey

I hate to throw cold water on the festivities, but Edgar Mitchell was also claiming to have conducted ESP experiments from lunar orbit while on that Apollo flight. He had four respondents back on Earth and claims that his ESP contacts with them succeeded more often they would under random chance.

Of course, an experiment with four subjects (OK, five with Mitchell) is not what we really call statistically significant. That's an unacceptably small sample size. And the holder of a PhD like Mitchell should know that a study with four subjects proves very little. If the experiment was worth doing, it was surely worth doing right - in a properly-designed study with controls and an adequate sample size to reduce the chance of observational error.

openweb.tvnews.vanderbilt.edu...

I'm not saying that this should automatically discredit his subsequent remarks, but it does give us some perspective on what he's said in the past... and his reputation for clear thinking.

Mitchell is also the author of "Quantum Hologram and ESP," a book whose title really says it all.

www.buy.com...

Before we all rush out and say that since Edgar Mitchell was an astronaut, his word that aliens exist is proof positive, we should take a hard look at what he's saying.

Has Mitchell said he saw these aliens himself? No. Spoken to them? No. Seen photos? No.

It's all hearsay, possibly hearsay uttered after liberal ingestion of ethanol. If Mitchell wanted to DISCREDIT the thesis that aliens exist, he couldn't have done a better job. There's nothing here that smacks of hard evidence, just a lot of second-hand gossip.

Do you know the cost of that experiment would be for NASA and the government? with the outrageous debt we are already in, an eperiment of that amplitude would be impossible.

If so, even if an alien were visiting and testing why the hell would they confront someone who with different DNA structures or however they're made, they could easily die with bacteria or other stuff.

And why give yourself away if your just here to study or do tests, supposedly undetected?

Yet why do people believe what the media has out? After all it's all second hand gossip, too, right?

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
It seems to me that the 'powers that be' in America (those In The Know about the Alien Presence on good ole Terra, i.e. earth) as well as in other countries (think of Italy under Mussolini in the early 1930s who issued directives about not allowing Full Disclosure) will probably dribble it out to the public a little at a time over several decades in order to get us lowly terran humans (that is to say 'we earthlings' -or maybe I should say rather, 'MOST of us ' !) a chance to acclimate to the idea of the existence of ET and that knowledge of the Wider Universe does not always line up with established religious dogma---

You keep hearing things lon the news e.g. 'Scientists just have found 12 new planets that MIGHT sustain life in our galaxy...' (things they probably have known about since the 1940s---) in order to get 'the masses' to at least begin to accept the idea that (of course!) we're not alone in the universe and certainly not unique in terms of 'intelligent life'---I believe the younger generation (those now under 25 living on earth) are far more open to accepting the idea of extraterrestrial visitation than their parents or grandparents---but that's just my own take on it...

Otherwise one would imagine it would be War of the Worlds (1939, Orsen Welles) all over again, with people panicking and jumping out of windows, running for the hills, hoarding food and money (especially in the US whose citizens seem to be prone to that sort of thing) to say nothing of the damage done to the New York Crowd (read: Wall Street) and of course a complete annhialation of accepted ideas propounded by the socalled major 'organized religions' who would have to do a quick about face when it dawns on them they are not the center of the Universe with a 'flat earth' at the center, fixed and unmoveable, being surrounded by an 'inverted bowl' with water above and below it (Heb. Req'iak) = 'dome') e.g. 'and Elohim created the Dome' (Gen 1:5) ... and the idea that 'man' is somehow special or unique or at the top of some food chain...

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Hi There!

It seems there are more ex-astronauts that claim there is extraterrestrial life somewhere out there. If people tell similar stories, is there maybe some truth in there..? Also.. If governments keep on being in denie of such stories, it seems to me there is something going on.

The astronauts have been up there, I am sure they know what they are talking about, even when they are with their pension.
---
Keep your eyes open
Not like governments eyes wide shut..

[edit on 28/7/2008 by Storm_Indigochild]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Thanks for this information but what's your point?

No this indeed doesn't discredit his subsequent remarks, so the above information you posted has no point actually. Unless you just want to discredit him...

What does it say according to you then? You obviously don't believe in the things that Mitchell writes in the book you mention, so he must be talking nonsense now also. A little shortsighted don't you think.

True we need to take a hard look at what he is saying. You ask to not rush out and say he is an astronaut, but you are clearly rushing things yourself by claiming he writes books "that say it all" and that he conducted experiments that are not statistically significant...

I think it's pretty clear what you are trying to accomplish. No offence though.

You are right he has no proof, but does that make him a liar?

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Edgar Mitchell has accomplished much in his life and been places the vast majority of mankind can only dream about. You can't take that away from him. However that is in the past. That should not give him a free ride to spout this kind of nonsense (in my opinion) with out being challenged.

He should divulge the names and dates of those involved in his "briefings",
or just admit that he has an active imagination and his claims are baseless.

It just goes to show that the old saying, "There ain't no fool like an old Fool", is true. He is making a fool out of himself in my opinion by making these fantastic claims and then admitting that he is basing his beliefs on "Lore". Someone in his position, with his background should be able to provide proof if any of his claims were true.

A sad climax to his illustrious career.

[edit on 29-7-2008 by Sparky63]

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Press release from IONS.ORG (Edgar Mitchell is the founder of the Institute of Noetic Sciences).

www.ions.org...

Warning: PDF file.. Use right-click/save-as if you lack the resources to open it in your browser.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fastwalker81

Thanks for this information but what's your point?

No this indeed doesn't discredit his subsequent remarks, so the above information you posted has no point actually. Unless you just want to discredit him...

What does it say according to you then? You obviously don't believe in the things that Mitchell writes in the book you mention, so he must be talking nonsense now also. A little shortsighted don't you think.

True we need to take a hard look at what he is saying. You ask to not rush out and say he is an astronaut, but you are clearly rushing things yourself by claiming he writes books "that say it all" and that he conducted experiments that are not statistically significant...

I think it's pretty clear what you are trying to accomplish. No offence though.

You are right he has no proof, but does that make him a liar?

I don't have a dog in this fight - I am totally neutral on the question of whether aliens exist or not. However, the Fermi paradox is worth considering (Enrico Fermi, the first man to produce a fission chain reaction with uranium, asked the pertinent question "If intelligent life exists in outer space, why haven't they come calling?").

Of course, the obvious answer to Fermi's question is "they HAVE come calling and we haven't been able to nail them down for an interview yet." But that's not a conclusive answer - it assumes so many facts not proven that it is itself logically very insubstantial.

I'd be just as happy as anyone else if Dr. Mitchell were right in every particular of his assertions, but we've also been down this road so many times that I've learned some skepticism at this point is useful in separating fact from fiction. If we just say "Great! This is the proof we've been waiting for!" then we have no way to test Dr. Mitchell's assertions for significance.

Hey, if you really want to PROVE that aliens exist and have been here before, you need to provide a way of testing what Edgar Mitchell says for accuracy. I'm not calling the man a liar, or even necessarily trashing what he has to say - just asking "How do we know it's true?" It's a real question, people.

And I'll be the first man to apologize if anything I may have implied or said about Dr. Mitchell's assertions regarding aliens and/or ESP is provably wrong or unfair to him. I just want to have a way of testing what he says for truth.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by The dragon is taking over
reply to post by behindthescenes

"So just because someone believes in the powers that our consciousness is capable of means their loony? Hmmm. That seems really narrow minded.
"

No, but it does mean that Dr. Mitchell has declared a position on the existence of ESP that he has yet to defend successfully.

"Maybe you could enlighten? I mean with all the possibilities of MILLIONS of planets and solar systems people think that we are the ONLY intelligent life?

I'm sorry but not only is that selfish, but really illogical.
"

Okay, just how is what I'm saying illogical (or selfish)?

And by the way, I didn't say that we ARE the only intelligent life in the universe - you're putting words in my mouth.

I simply regard the question as not having been answered to my satisfaction.

Using logic (and not wishful thinking), demonstrate the flaws in my reasoning, or the truth of Dr. Mitchell's assertions, if you don't mind.

You've accused me of all sorts of things that aren't in my posts. If Dr. Mitchell is proven right, well, that would be great but his work so far hasn't presented any overwhelming objective proof that what he says is true.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Before the earth was PROVEN to be round, humans believed it to be flat. Does that mean it was flat before it was proven round? Same with the earth revolving around the sun. My point? Things can be TRUE before they are proven so...

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I recently bought the DVD "In the Shadow of the Moon" and in that documentary, Edgar Mitchell talks about the eye-opening spiritual experience he had when on the apollo mission. It is VERY powerful to watch.. You can tell he means every single word too..

I think it's on youtube but I can't get the youtube vids to work right.

EDIT:
I think the youtube vid is working now. Edgar Mitchell talks right after about 7:20 into the video.

You can also hear Edgar Mitchell on a recent radio show here. He was interviewed for about an hour on aliens and roswell according to the thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

-ChriS

[edit on 7-8-2008 by BlasteR]

[edit on 7-8-2008 by BlasteR]

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join