It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Americans are not supporting our troops, and they should be ashamed!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by RevolutionNow
I cannot support those who engage in illegal, immoral wars, though i do realize that many soldiers are very young and have been purposely mislead and/or may not have had any better options in life. Hopefully, they will learn how the world really works soon...

So, you call for the violent overthrow of the our government feels that the war on terrorism is illegal and immoral.

That line was tired and old by the time the war in Vietnam was over.

You seem to have your priorities reversed.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

These are the sacrifices that men who would never see your face or hear your name would make so that you could malign them the way you have on this thread.

Who should be ashamed?

You must be mistaken, I have said I do not "Support troops IN Iraq"

I should NOT be ashamed for that.

It does not mean I don't like them.

And I support 100% soldiers for their purpose if it is what I believe to be "right", not in Iraq, but at home protecting our countries, or in a war that I believe to be right.

What have I done that is so offensive?

To be honest I still see your comment rather rude stating that the guy would do nothing if his sister was raped, basically saing he's a p*ssy, just because he doesn't support the war.

But please, let's just keep it cool, your a good guy.

Peace.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
servicemen have been dumped during wars for a long time, it's nothing new...
of course the servicemen have sometimes been known to have a few flings while they are away also.
this isn't a matter of americans supporting the troops, it's a matter of long distance relationships being so darned hard to keep up! and, when you consider that probably close to half the force serving in Iraq were called back into the service, or national guardsmen who thought that they'd get by playing part time soldier, well, they probably didn't expect what they got, neither did their families. add to that that many had left good paying jobs for the crap pay of the service, a bunch of get rich schemers driving up the price of housing, loan sharks praying on their wives back home conning them into refinancing the house so they can make ends meet....well, I'm sorry, but, I can see why the marriages are falling apart.
a 50+ year old man just lost his life serving this country in the war recently, one has to ask, what is this government doing calling men that old back into a war zone to begin with!
this is just another demonize the women threads with a patriotic slant to it. want to support the troops, fine, raise their pay some. knock it off with the long tours and the frequent call backs into the war zone. heck, initiate the draft if you must. provide the troops with the equipment they need. clean up the VA hospitals and ensure they get the proper treatment when they get home. secure the homeland at the borders and do something about the flow of illegals so maybe they'll feel a little more secure about the homeland when they get home. start paying for the war instead of just borrowing more and more money, the troops have already paid for this war, with their blood and sweat, why should they get hit with such a big bill for it when they come home? Quit stipping american freedom, ya know the freedom that they are fighting for preserve for us.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I've been around long enough to know that the guy who says that he would fight some past or hypothetical war while avoiding a current war wouldn't fight if his sister was being raped in front of him.

Got to say Grady, that thats a crassly arrogant and particulary ignorant thing to say.

You think that, because you served, it somehow makes you better than people who haven't and it allows you to make this kind of judgement call?

What a complete load of rubbish. What a twisted view of the world you must have to come out with something like this.

[edit on 9/0708/08 by neformore]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   
why should we support ppl that kill inocent civilians and puppys for no reason other than the thrill of killing? now yes there are some good ppl there but these ppl have been brainwashed into thinking thay can do anything thay want and are above the law..every ex millitary man i know is a peice of # wife beater that thnks he is above all other humans

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
This is not intended to a debate about whether or not the war is right or wrong, but how our society is really not supporting our armed forces.

How the hell are a people within a society meant support something, that some of them don’t agree with.

That’s like saying….. The slugs are destroying my garden and killing the vegetables, it’s not their fault, we should support the slugs….oh no wait, they will still be destroying the vegetables. Lets not talk about whether it’s right or wrong for the slugs to be destroying the veg, that’s a mere technicality after all, lets support the wee bastards!

You are what’s wrong with the situation and you don’t even see it, you are reason people taking their anger out on troops, for you are like the government. You don’t want people to air their views or put down the troops for the crimes they are committing, you are trying to turn it into a human v human thing. If you don’t support the troops, you don’t support America, if you don’t support our troops, you support terrorism!

You are the problem. GET IT?

Original poster, sorry but you have the title “Writer-Fighter” and it would seem, you don’t have intelligence to take you to the end of the road.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by PApro
why should we support ppl that kill inocent civilians and puppys for no reason other than the thrill of killing? now yes there are some good ppl there but these ppl have been brainwashed into thinking thay can do anything thay want and are above the law..every ex millitary man i know is a peice of # wife beater that thnks he is above all other humans

Should we add people like George Washington or Ulysses Grant to that group?

I have not served in the military but I can at least understand the fear, separation, loneliness, hopelessness these men and women are going threw, then add there lives back home being destroyed along with there minds and bodies.

War really is hell.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by InterWeb

This is not intended to a debate about whether or not the war is right or wrong, but how our society is really not supporting our armed forces.

How the hell are a people within a society meant support something, that some of them don’t agree with.

I'm not asking anyone to agree with the war it's wrong, but I have seen the after effects on the men and women that have served in this unjust war, you don't think they are victims as well, that they haven't suffered or continue to suffer.

That’s like saying….. The slugs are destroying my garden and killing the vegetables, it’s not their fault, we should support the slugs….oh no wait, they will still be destroying the vegetables. Lets not talk about whether it’s right or wrong for the slugs to be destroying the veg, that’s a mere technicality after all, lets support the wee bastards!

I guess treating them as breathing, feeling human beings is just too much for you?

You are what’s wrong with the situation and you don’t even see it, you are reason people taking their anger out on troops, for you are like the government. You don’t want people to air their views or put down the troops for the crimes they are committing, you are trying to turn it into a human v human thing. If you don’t support the troops, you don’t support America, if you don’t support our troops, you support terrorism!

UH WHAT?!! I feel for some friends that lost and gave everything for there country and I'm wrong for it?

You are the problem. GET IT?

Original poster, sorry but you have the title “Writer-Fighter” and it would seem, you don’t have intelligence to take you to the end of the road.

You don't think your just as manipulated as everyone else?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Give me the money that has been spent in war and I will clothe every man, woman, and child in an attire of which kings and queens will be proud. I will build a schoolhouse in every valley over the whole earth. I will crown every hillside with a place of worship consecrated to peace. ~Charles Sumner

War does not determine who is right - only who is left. ~Bertrand Russell

It'll be a great day when education gets all the money it wants and the Air Force has to hold a bake sale to buy bombers. ~Author unknown, quoted in You Said a Mouthful edited by Ronald D. Fuchs

Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind. ~John F. Kennedy, 1961

I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask, "Mother, what was war?" ~Eve Merriam

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   
The American People were out and out lied to and manipulated into this war.

and they fell for it hook line and sinker...........

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
People need to get mad at the people in power who manipulated and lied to them to fund this war, not the people who were smart enough to have seen the lie for what it was, a lie........

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
This thread wasn't to be about whether or not this war was wrong or right, Almost everyone on Earth knows it was wrong and most likely illegal!

This thread wasn't about being patriotic towards this current administration, because I Hate this administration.

It was about the individual soldier and the loss, pain, and abandonment they have suffered, it's about them being human, and us acting human towards them.

Like caring and giving a crap about them, especially the wifes and girlfriends.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   

War really is hell.

it is, but that doesnt justify them coming home to the ppl that loved them and worried day in and day out just for them to treat them like garbage and hit there kids n wife around..nor does it make it ok in any sence to simply murder ppl for fun. maybe it lies in the fact that thay are 18yr old KIDS when thay are inlisted and are in no way ready to handle such things..these ppl are over there doing the dirtiest most vial descusting things to these ppl for no reason..thay just are not mentaly ready for it in any light. its not that i dont suport the troops i dont support the millitary or the controling powers that make the dessisions to put children in war situations

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   

War really is hell.

And every single person who signs up to go into war should know this. I have three friends all currently on active duty in Iraq. I've discussed it wiht all of them. I do not support our troops, because I do not support what they are doing. The mentality is the same as "I support my children". A sentiment that would appear, on the surface, to be universal and given. However, when you have signed up for 5 and a half years of murer, knowing full well that you would be fighting in urban areas where civilian casualties are a given, then I can not possibly support that.

Along the lines of an earlier poster, I can only support a defensive war. Ad don't try feeding me that "IF WE DON'T FIGHT THEM THERE, WE'LL HAVE TO FIGHT THEM HERE!!1!!" BS. You're not going to have tens of thousands of America-hating Islamic fundamentalists infiltrate NYC and covertly set up shop in apartment buildings. That's ludicrous.

And OP, it's not possible to talk about supporting troops without talking about what it is they're doing. If a soldier happens to rape a loved one of yours, would you still support that soldier? No. Not even though he may have been 'going through hell'.

In my mind, the only killing that can be justified is unavoidable self-defense. And the war in Iraq certainly wasn't unavoidable.

The whole infidelity issue is another story, infidelity is never a good thing. However, don't confuse it with not "supporting the troops".

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Last time I checked, it is every soldier's duty to protect this country from all enemies, foreign and domestic, and to uphold to Constitution.

Open your eyes. The only real enemy is a domestic one. See past the facade and realize that is an absolute fact. The Islamic boogeyman charade has worn out it's tenure, don't you think?

No, I am not ignorant enough to think that there are those out there who would not harm us if they could. That is a part of life. That exists in this country alone, and does not need to be perpetuated by a foreign entity.

A Soldier makes his choice. Regardless of the motivations, he chose to be in his position.

Supporting the troops doesn't really hold any validity if you don't support both their cause, nor their position in the first place.

My cousin has served 3 tours over there now. I love him like a brother. Love and support are different things. Even he has grown to disagree with the leader he once supported throughout this whole ordeal, as his eyes have been opened to the farce this whole ordeal is.

Now, until the troops fight the real enemy, and fulfill their duty of defending the Constitution, I will support nothing but a push to end this illegal war, and the opression of government obsessed with wealth and power.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
The increase in infidelity is probably due to these endless tours of duty that our poor soldiers must commit to.

It is the Bush administration that is the first to NOT support our troops.
They use the term "patriotism" to divide America and get people to do what they want them to do. In reality the Bush administration are not patiots at all. They are not concerned for the welfare of greater America or our troops.

Whether or not you wear a flag pin has no reflection on your patriotism.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by USMC-oorah
Support war, love war, hate war, you'll demand someone else to take those bullets when the metaphorical sh*t hits the fan. If war ever is seen by the sheltered and spoiled American people they will love us. For we are getting our heads blown off and losing limbs while they run away. Don't worry I don't care either way, it's just how it is!

I don't need anyones support to do what I do. I've got a big rifle, two hundred rounds, and a group of other men with similar big rifles. Why would you need support if your armed to the teet? What do I need a pat on the back, or something? TheAmerican public can do as they please. Love me hate me, who cares?

You think your born to fight wars? You think you or your men are the only ones who would be willing to confront another who may have similar guns or even bigger?

Just because I choose not to pursue this life style does not mean I will cringe or falter from picking up a weapon to defend myself or another.

Just because the majority have not faced what you or others have faced does not make you special... before you witnessed what you did.. you and others were just as naive to "those" situations.

I'm not challenging you or your choice of career, just your narrow view on what others would do to back their views.

Killing is easy... learning to live together.. well... that takes sacrifice and effort.

Peace

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
This society is screwed up, and the women or men who are not willling to wait for their significant other, tough as it is, werent worth it in the first place.
Its inhumane to dump someone who absolutely cannot help their situation in this war, or any war, and they are just not worthy. It must hurt terribly, but where'sthe compassion? They look forward to emails, pictures, letters, LOVE, and to deny someone that, its just despicable.

I can only speak for myself when i say i could never ever dump a boyfriend or husband in the service.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
i support any man or woman who is on active duty.

like most of the world though, i despise war, and this war is for what ?

really ? what ? whats its point ? oil ?

in fairness, these men and woman (im talking of the UK here) took the Queens shilling, so they have to be prepared to fight.

i support them, but they signed for this

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   

My support for any war is dependent on whether it is right or wrong, so I can't remove that from any argument about supporting the troops. The troops have had at least since January 2004 to recognize that Iraq was no threat and that they shouldn't be there with the resignation of chief WMD inspector David Kaye. That's over four years now, and yet they're still serving and volunteering. The War on Terror is a sham and I cannot support anybody fighting it.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join