It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Americans are not supporting our troops, and they should be ashamed!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
This happens during any war. People will be people and unless they hold very high values, principals and good morals things will nevr change.
So, it is a shame but until people wake up to their true surroundings they just wont understand why. You have to see all thats going on to wake up.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
sos37 quote

''You are sadly mistaken! Bureaucrats make the war and sit back to watch the carnage which is what Congress and the folks in the White House are doing. Soldiers take orders and do what they are told''.

NO excuse whatsoever - remember the War Crimes Trials after WW2.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Send your concerns to George. W. Bush who most certainly owns the majority of responsibility for these guys being there. Most americans don't want this war monger mentality and don't respect those that support it. It's tough but a growht of consciousness is never without pain.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I have always been against the war in Iraq, and I have always been against the Neo cons that have hijacked our country.

I decided to post this thread after multiple discussions with friends of mine that are veterans of this mess in Persia.

As stated earlier in this thread I'm kinda surprised at the personal attacks against these fellow Americans, these people are People they are our brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, neighbors, our police, firefighters, doctors, or just friends, in my case they are friends, and I told a couple about my intention to post this, to attempt to develop some understanding of what they went threw.

But there is No way I'm going to Ever show them this, most of these guys met some very good people while in the service only to watch them die, and these friends of mine will never be the same.

It's apparently very easy to dehumanize our fellow human beings, and I guess giving a crap about pawns of our out of control government is just too hard and too much to ask.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Yes, I would like to clarify my earlier post.

I know they are humans, I could even make friends with them etc.

But I do not "support" them. There is a difference.

And I should not be ashamed of that. People who think people should automatically support soldiers simply for being a soldier are the ones who should be ashamed. It's almost looks like brainwashed talk.

Yes they are human, they have emotions, and they are just like anyone else.

[edit on 8-7-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
This situation is as old as warfare.

During the Vietnam war at Camp Lejeune the easiest way to get sex was to take a drive through base housing.

Sadly, Dear John letters do take a toll on young warriors, but no one knows just what the cost is.

It's just a fact of life and one of the reasons the Marine Corps discourages first enlistment Marines from marrying. Another reason is that many a young Marine gets married to a girl whose only interest is some sex and a monthly disbursement check.

Some have no choice, but the best advice for a young warrior is to end all romantic relationships before deployment.

[edit on 2008/7/8 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Haha, unless you are in the Navy ........ oops, thats another story ......... better not let the missus see this

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
If you stupid enough to go and fight this war after all the evidence.
Plus history has shown that all wars are planed for depopulation and wealth creating. Wake up! Soldiers are trained to follow orders without thinking because thinking is what they don't want the dumbed down sheeple to do.
Die without question, how insane, but for the right price, mercenary, murderer?

I support the troops...................to come home!

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Marines, Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen don't need anybodys support to do their jobs. They are tough men and women who should understand people back home are going to have a moral issue over killing people. Why should people be ashamed over not supporting the troops? I've got a loving family and good friends who the hell is should support me?

I believe the militarys relationship with the public is love hate. Right now they have pretty much more reasons to hate us. When, if it ever happens, the public acually comes into contact with warfare they will demand us like we owe them. Then after we save some American asses they will love us.

Support war, love war, hate war, you'll demand someone else to take those bullets when the metaphorical sh*t hits the fan. If war ever is seen by the sheltered and spoiled American people they will love us. For we are getting our heads blown off and losing limbs while they run away. Don't worry I don't care either way, it's just how it is!

I don't need anyones support to do what I do. I've got a big rifle, two hundred rounds, and a group of other men with similar big rifles. Why would you need support if your armed to the teet? What do I need a pat on the back, or something? TheAmerican public can do as they please. Love me hate me, who cares?

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by GAOTU789
I can't believe some of the responses I've read here. You realize that the soldiers are someone's mother or father, brother or sister, aunt or uncle, husband or wife.

You don't need to be behind the wars of aggression our Nations are fighting to support the people that wear the uniform of our countries. Most of them enlisted for the right reason's. To the ones that only joined to blow stuff up and play with guns, I still support them but they don't have my respect.

Also, think about about the age of alot of the people in uniform. 18-21. Ya they knew when they join that they are probably going to end up in Afghanistan or Iraq but I don't think they can fully comprehend what they are getting themselves into. Funny, you only have to be 18 to join the Military but you need to be 21 to drink.

To the people in this thread that have been in and realize what our modern militarises have become, good on ya.They are now just extensions of a Corprofascist establishment. Used as a weapon of aggression and not a tool of defence.

I'd also like to know how many of you saying screw them have served yourself or have family in the service. Not many, I'm guessing.

The lack of compassion displayed here is truly disheartening. They are still human beings. They didn't start this mess we are in, the politicians did. They're just stuck cleaning the mess up. If they can.

Whether you are fighting in the "War on Drugs" or the "War on Terror" you are fighting FOR the criminals and terrorists. Those who are somehow
still in charge of this country and it's empire. After bullying around the world and fighting in wars based on false flag attacks perpetrated quite possibly by our own government or it's handlers in Israel.

It is really quite sad and depending on a ruling tomorrow on FISA could continue on the path towards fascism and a police state.

And to answer your question I am 20 and have had many chances to join but I will not because I know what the heck is going on and who these wars are truly fought for. I choose not to be a thug for the current bullies we have running our country.

The war is unconstitutional. Soldiers swear an oath to the constitution and by continuing to serve the bush administration they are breaking that oath.

Between the dumbing down and overall ignorance of the American people I think I can safely say the next 10 years will be VERY interesting to say the least.

We as citizens for these United States of America have forgotten what is means to be a true patriot and citizen. And in the process we have let criminals infiltrate all levels of our government.

I believe the constitution dies tomorrow as I cannot see how the senate will not vote in favor of it.

In this day and age of the internet and the amount of information available it just makes the job of being a well educated citizen that much easier. Time to wake up folks because we need change and we need it now.

I voted for Dr. Paul and donated time and money to his campaign. Sadly I think he didn't really even have faith in it and in the end between media censorship and his lack of nipping the voter fraud in the butt in NH he has dropped out.

TSHTF in 2008 and the next twenty years will be completely different than the last between the collapse of the US and the resource wars it's going to be one heck of a ride.

Good luck to everyone, we will need it.

PS sorry that got so off topic just smoked

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jprophet420

I was the Anonymous poster you replied to. Guess I had an account awhile ago. Anyway, without reposting your reply I'll answer this way...

1. So you're saying that the real stories are different than the media stories? Last time I checked thats what a cover up was...
1. What the media portrays as the "real story" is often just "their" version. The one that sells the story. Most of what is read or seen on TV is to make money. This rolls into the next question of:
2. 1,000,000 dead Iraqis were real people also.
2. Absolutely!!! And so many people have such little faith in our Military even though we have killed So many Iraqis!!! No. Pay attention to the news folks. Coalition forces haven't killed all those Iraqi's. What hits front page??? "Soldier shoots Iraqi Civilian"...what's usually hiding? "Insurgents (the real terror out there...yes they are real...no they aren't Iraqi. Not most anyhow) Detonate VBIED in middle of market..." Compare. Which are you reading...honestly. (Being unfamiliar with what can, and cannot be linked, I'm gonna leave the quick News station/Newspaper/Google search up to those interested)
3. I already said I accept responsibility for my actions, and can answer for no one else.
3. Your bigger than a lot of folks throughout the world then. You're right you can't answer for anyone else. But, I think we can all agree that very few can accept some of the things they've done instead of taking what comes of it, learning from it and preventing it from happening again.
4. 911 ring a bell? The war in Iraq is stopping a repeat how exactly? I really want you to answer that if you do believe what youre fighting for.
4. I remember exactly where I was on 9/11. I remember how drastically things changed that day. Yeah it rings a bell. To be honest, I can't say our reason for first going into Iraq. I can't. Too many people will tell me I'm brainwashed, or decieved, or a "TOOL"...however, as I stated previously, none of will know everything that is going on. Truley going on outside our little worlds. We can't, we don't need to. No, i'm not saying just accept everything thrown at you, but at least allow for that. We are still out there, because once again...The iraqi's ARE human as well. They deserve their freedoms as much as anyone. I believe their women can vote now yes? Many of the ones I worked with were finally able to afford a car of their own. Ever seen a shack with 3 satellite dishes on it? Ha!!! Try and entire town of them!!! They actually all had better cell phones than I own now. Their world is opening up for them much more now. Technology is easy to deliver though, Government infrastructure and weeding out the bad apples takes a while.
5. You are fighting in a war I do not believe in under the false pretense set forth by my government that I do. IF you totally believe you are fighting for freedom and not under false pretenses I respect you for that. I do not support the war, and you are a tool of the war, so do not expect my support.
5. am I reading this right? You do not believe in the War, but you DO believe in our Government? I hope so. I personally believe in both. I'm doing what I do because i believe our Government isn't as selfish as the majority of individuals. That it isn't as shortsided and close minded.

6....Nice Personal attack/Logical Fallacy

That was your first reply. For the record, I responded to each of your questions this way because I liked them. I wish I had more room to post more personal experiences to help show my points. Just remember...We aren't all breed to kill. We don't all join to kill. Many of us join and recieve admin, cooking, maintenance and various other disiplines that are supportive. I don't ask for you to honor our service...just give us the respect everyone deserve

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
People who think people should automatically support soldiers simply for being a soldier are the ones who should be ashamed. It's almost looks like brainwashed talk.

Yes they are human, they have emotions, and they are just like anyone else.

Those who don't know that the freedom they enjoy everyday is paid for with the blood of those who gave their today for someone else's tomorrow are to be pitied, at best, but really deserve nothing better than contempt.

If you think that service members are just like anyone else, you are woefully unaware of history.

Spend an hour or so reading these links and think about it, although I doubt that anything will wake you up except to lose what you've taken for granted.

Valley Forge

Battle of Belleau Wood

Attack on Pearl Harbor

Bougainville Campaign

Battle of Guadalcanal

Battle of Peleliu

Battle of Iwo Jima

Battle of Okinawa

Battle of Normandy

Battle of the Bulge

Battle of Chosin Reservoir

Battle of Ia Drang

Battle of Hue

Battle_of_Khe_Sanh

Warriors are just like everyone else, except it is the warrior who pays the debt of freedom for those for who are not yet born.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Sad, LDragonFire, but, yes, as a few posters have so kindly and knowledgeably replied, the Dear John letter and failed relationships is a historical fact of warfare.

Email and phone calls are a double edged sword. Meant to bring timely happiness and relief to wearied troops, the same quick connections can bring words of pain instantly or conversations better left for longer times to think. Instead of a letter waited for, which might never have be sent, a phone call is very upfront and literally in your face and hard to not answer. Email might not be able to offer the emotive quality of a hand written letter.

Another psychologically breaking event in the modern soldier's life is often the quick return home. Even during WW2, a soldier had time to decompress somewhat from life at the front, on a several days voyage home from Europe. Starting with Viet Nam, soldiers were in a war zone one day and literally hours back on American soil in hours.

As the OP mentions, the length of this war combined with the number of rotations and R&R in between has exacted a psychological toll on families as well as soldiers.

MBF

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
My cousin went to Iraq and was hit 5 times by IED's. When he got home, he found out that he had less than $300 in the bank. The rent was $1700 past due, the insurance on the autos was $2400 past due, there was no food in the house and his new truck had been totaled. While he was gone his wife had gone through $60,000 and wrecked his new truck. He found out that she had been flying privates in to spend the weekends with her( he is a sergeant) and taking men to night clubs and strip joints. I think he found out about 18 men that she had been with. He stayed in his house only one night after he returned home. Something needs to be done to stop people from financially ruining soldiers while they are away. Yes, he did get a divorce, but the damage had already been done.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
That's what they get for killing humans. I 'm happy about this , thank you.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by CyborgPirateNinjaJesus
That's what they get for killing humans. I 'm happy about this , thank you.

No no no bad! That's what he gets for marrying a ho fo' sho'. Nothing should be done about the issue. He trusted a hooker with his money and house. His money, truck, and house was his responsibility.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by GhostR1der
In fact, I'd probably enlist in that situation.

Don't kid yourself. You would be drafted and carted off kicking and screaming, unless you deserted first. I've been around long enough to know that the guy who says that he would fight some past or hypothetical war while avoiding a current war wouldn't fight if his sister was being raped in front of him.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Originally posted by GhostR1der
In fact, I'd probably enlist in that situation.

Don't kid yourself. You would be drafted and carted off kicking and screaming, unless you deserted first. I've been around long enough to know that the guy who says that he would fight some past or hypothetical war while avoiding a current war wouldn't fight if his sister was being raped in front of him.

This is easily the funniest post I have ever read. I burst into laughter after that last sentence. Oh man.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by USMC-oorah

Who cares indeed. It doesn't touch any of us in our comfy air-conditioned homes. Throw them away. We'll call you when the crap comes close to home, and by God you'd better be there when we need you.

I hear ya. I hear the self-reliance, and autonomy. It's a necessary byproduct.

Not one person has posted yet that they'd care for a link to how to send small things [to us] to the troops that make a huge difference to them. The political miasma is SO deep, that to show troops overseas a small modicum of support or respect is too much to ask.

And, as always, when they come home, people will shake their heads sadly as if they are the scourge of the Earth. That makes me want to puke. I'm a gentle person. This digs under my skin like sharp shards of glass.

Well I hope those that espouse this disrespect can fend for themselves, protect themselves. It's a different world, granted, than when I was a young man. Some of you want our troops to feel ashamed of what they are doing. Screw you. You aren't worth a pimple on their swollen, blistered, feet.

Maybe this place isn't for me. Maybe I've gotten to old, too prideful of a job well done. Maybe sending people that are doing the best they can for a system they believe in isn't fashionable anymore. Maybe it never was.

Phuqueit.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by CyborgPirateNinjaJesus

Your handle and tags say it all. Thank you for your profound insight. Maybe you'll be lucky, and have reason to rejoice over a few more killed tonight. One can only hope.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join